Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2014 BBall Tyquone Greer

Started by -Blu, April 14, 2014, 01:52:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

-Blu

So, today 247 added Tyquone Greer to our recruit list and marked status as "warm" and also 2 recruiting analyst projected him to Arkansas, including Jerry Meyer.  This is my first time in a long time hearing about him.  I wonder if there is anything to this.  Some sites list him as a 6'5 SG others list him as a 6'7 SF.  He plays in the post most of the time, I would say he's closer to the 6'7 SF.  On all his recent videos you can tell he's a taller forward, definitely taller than 6'5, and not a SG by any stretch.

What's interesting about this is, we don't have any scholarships available and this is the second name to surface in the last few days, Henry being the other guy.  Both guys are forwards.

Here's his latest highlight tape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI1PtiCLee4

ESPN
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/146244/tyquane-greer

http://247sports.com/Player/Tyquone-Greer-22686

NLRHog92

Gotta make everyone wonder if the Qualls rumors have some validity to them.

Hogimus Prime

If Qualls rumors are true and he leaves Greer would be a good replacement.  Henry would be good if Williams were to leave.

RazorPiggie

Oh look, another last minute guy YAY!

mbgrulz

Quote from: RazorPiggie            (Matt D) on April 14, 2014, 07:33:59 am

This last minute Chi-town kid worked out pretty well...

But you're right...the last thing we need is an athletic Chicago kid who fits our system.

-Blu

April 14, 2014, 08:22:51 am #5 Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 08:41:52 am by -Blu
Quote from: RazorPiggie            (Matt D) on April 14, 2014, 07:33:59 am

He's actually a "first" minute guy, meaning he was one of the first guys on our 2014 recruiting board, just haven't heard anything on him in a LONG time.  Probably over a year now.  With that said, it doesn't mean the staff hasn't been recruiting him.

And my concern is more of who are we losing, because we don't have any scholarships left.  And last time we started seeing a bunch of guys names poppin up that roughly played the same position, we got Durham.  So, now we've seen 2 forwards names start to surface in the last few days, make me wonder if we're about to hear about a guy leaving and we get one of these guys.  Personally I'm hoping we keep everybody we have now.

The_Iceman

On his 247 page, at the top it says:

Tyquone Greer
Shooting Guard
Chicago, IL (Aasta - Orr)
Ht: 6-5 | Wt: 180

Then at the bottom it lists:

"Bio: Tyquone Greer is a 6-7, 210-pound Power Forward from Chicago, IL. "

The_Iceman

RazorPiggie

Quote from: -Blu on April 14, 2014, 08:22:51 am
He's actually a "first" minute guy, meaning he was one of the first guys on our 2015 recruiting board, just haven't heard anything on him in a LONG time.  Probably over a year now.  With that said, it doesn't mean the staff hasn't been recruiting him.

And my concern is more of who are we losing, because we don't have any scholarships left.  And last time we started seeing a bunch of guys names poppin up that roughly played the same position, we got Durham.  So, now we've seen 2 forwards names start to surface in the last few days, make me wonder if we're about to hear about a guy leaving and we get one of these guys.  Personally I'm hoping we keep everybody we have now.

You lost me. 24/7 says he is a 2014 guy.

ifghog

RazorPiggie

Quote from: mbgrulz on April 14, 2014, 08:02:52 am

This last minute Chi-town kid worked out pretty well...

But you're right...the last thing we need is an athletic Chicago kid who fits our system.

LOL only difference was P-Bev was highly ranked and highly recruited.

-Blu

Quote from: RazorPiggie            (Matt D) on April 14, 2014, 08:34:26 am

You lost me. 24/7 says he is a 2014 guy.

Sorry, edit made I meant 2014.  He was one of our first guys we were recruiting for 2014 class.

-Blu

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 14, 2014, 08:25:53 am
On his 247 page, at the top it says:

Tyquone Greer
Shooting Guard
Chicago, IL (Aasta - Orr)
Ht: 6-5 | Wt: 180

Then at the bottom it lists:

"Bio: Tyquone Greer is a 6-7, 210-pound Power Forward from Chicago, IL. "

He was always one of the taller dudes on the court on his most recent videos.  That 6'5 stat must be old from when he was a sophomore and started first getting evaluated.  I would say he's at least 6'6, and I wouldn't be surprised if that 6'7 210 was legit.  But, he's definitely taller than 6'5.

mbgrulz

April 14, 2014, 09:06:31 am #14 Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 11:17:53 am by mbgrulz
Quote from: RazorPiggie            (Matt D) on April 14, 2014, 08:39:22 am

tweaky1

I wasn't overly impressed with his highlight clips but I did like his mid range game. If he can do that with someone actually playing defense he could be an asset.

Hawg Red

Quote from: -Blu on April 14, 2014, 08:22:51 am

I'm with you. I'm more concerned with who is leaving because we've already seen people say that JaCorey Williams is staying, and I doubt Harris leaves. That pretty much leaves one guy, and that would be a huge (but not unexpected) loss. I figured this would happen but it still sucks (if it actually does, that is).

The real Hogules

Thinking logically if someone else is leaving my money is still on Williams.
Sure, it could be Qualls, but based solely on PT Williams has the most to gain by transferring.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Hawg Red

Quote from: The real Hogules on April 14, 2014, 09:45:30 am
Thinking logically if someone else is leaving my money is still on Williams.
Sure, it could be Qualls, but based solely on PT Williams has the most to gain by transferring.

Unless Williams knows Qualls is leaving. Williams, IMO, would have a leg up on Greer being that he's a prep player. Henry would be more of a challenge, I would think.

I just haven't felt good about Qualls being here next year for a while. Really hope he is, though.

RazorAg

With this news, I'm in the camp that worries most about Qualls leaving for pro ball.

Greer is a very athletic, attacking, slashing wing. Our staff got their first look at him two high school seasons ago when his high school played in a tournament in NWA. Very good high school program and team this past year, and Greer is the guy that made that team go. He is somewhat like Qualls when he came out of high school in that his athleticism and motor allow him to make athletic plays and defend multiple positions. He is a more refined ballhandler and passer, while not as much of a shooter. He is a fit for our system in that he can really run and jump and guard multiple spots. He will be someone who can get to the rim and make a lot of energy-plays. Shooting is a deficiency at this time. At one time, he had offers from us, Illinois, Providence, Depaul, Auburn, Bradley, and Illinois State. As those teams filled their 2014 class, all of those offers didn't stick; not sure who he has standing offers from now. Depaul seems to be the school mentioned most.

Here are his stats from the Nike EYBL last year - http://www.d1circuit.com/roster_players/2664507

For clarity purposes, "pro ball" doesn't mean just the NBA anymore, as there are plenty of opps for players like Qualls to go play overseas and make good money immediately. Qualls has at least one little one, and that could be weighing on him.

NBA underclassman early entree deadline - I believe it's April 27, 28 or 29. One of those dates, definitely.

If Qualls leaves, I think we would see Bell slide into the lineup alongside Madden and Beard/Durham for your three perimeter players.

It would be a blow, though. I'm not going to go in on him if he does leave, but I'd be really disappointed. That said if his head isn't into it (which it wasn't at times this past season), we don't need that. We need guys that are all in. Still, it would be a significant decrease in talent.

RazorAg

Quote from: RazorPiggie            (Matt D) on April 14, 2014, 08:39:22 am

The other difference is that we were on Pat heavily the whole high school season.  His recruitment was hot that whole time.

Greer would be a very solid pick-up this late, but comparing him to Beverley's recruitment would be a long stretch.

The Recruiting Guy

Arkansas isn't an option based on what I'm hearing. Will be very surprised if he inks with the Hogs. 

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: -Blu on April 14, 2014, 01:52:46 amand also 2 recruiting analyst projected him to Arkansas, including Jerry Meyer. 

These "recruiting analyst projections" are silly.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

onebadrubi

I sure hope we have Qualls for at least another year!

mbgrulz

Quote from: RazorPiggie            (Matt D) on April 14, 2014, 10:47:04 am
Pic not working.
Think I fixed it!

P-Bev had the most interesting recruitment I can recall. Completely under the radar until the spring of his SR year. He ended up a 4 star, but he was unheard of until us and Michigan started going after him IIRC. 

RazorAg

Quote from: mbgrulz on April 14, 2014, 11:20:24 am
Think I fixed it!

P-Bev had the most interesting recruitment I can recall. Completely under the radar until the spring of his SR year. He ended up a 4 star, but he was unheard of until us and Michigan started going after him IIRC. 

Nah, it was like I said - his whole senior season.  December is really when things got hot, and he started getting strong looks from high majors.

RazorAg

Other recruiting writers have the same info as Richard. No-go on Greer and no expected roster movement.