Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Empty Seats are the Fulcrum....

Started by hassettsportsman, November 06, 2017, 11:04:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hassettsportsman

At some point will the SEC trough continue to sustain us?  I suggest that the increasingly empty seats will ultimately be the balance point when change will occur.  When will economics encourage change?  If crowd participation doesn't matter then why abandon LR...afterall, it would give many far flung Hog fans a reason to travel.   

Cotton

Quote from: hassettsportsman on November 06, 2017, 11:04:02 am
At some point will the SEC trough continue to sustain us?  I suggest that the increasingly empty seats will ultimately be the balance point when change will occur.  When will economics encourage change?  If crowd participation doesn't matter then why abandon LR...afterall, it would give many far flung Hog fans a reason to travel.   
You started off with a semi-decent question.... then you crashed. GSD is so tired around here. More money is made on campus.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

hogsanity

Quote from: The ColonelHog on November 06, 2017, 11:18:49 am
Flawed OP post.  Why?  Because poor economics due to empty stadiums hasn't hurt Vandy, Kentucky, Tenner during the Dooley days, USCe prior to Spurrier, LSU prior to Saban or any other team.

As a matter of fact, members of the SEC are now insulated from poor attendance due to SEC TV revenue sharing.  You have any idea of the revenue  Bama generates in BCS championship games or even semi-final appearances, which is shared with all SEC members.  Bowl games?  Revenue shared with all SEC members.

No, SEC revenue sharing will keep SEC institutions safe for many many many years to come whether our stadium is 3/4 full or not.

Plus empty seats do not indicate unsold tickets. People keep buying season tickets, whether they show up for the game is really not material. Now, if 20K people drop their season tickets, and no one is there to buy them up, then yea, that will get someone's attention.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hassettsportsman

If I follow your logic, then a suggested $200 mil expansion justifies the empty seats because the TV share is so addictive.

ricepig

Quote from: hassettsportsman on November 06, 2017, 11:26:02 am
If I follow your logic, then a suggested $200 mil expansion justifies the empty seats because the TV share is so addictive.

So, if you paid $200+ minimum for a seat, wouldn't you go? Don't worry about those seats, lol.

hassettsportsman

Good point Rice....paying for loyalty is not a new concept!

ricepig

Quote from: hassettsportsman on November 06, 2017, 11:31:14 am
Good point Rice....paying for loyalty is not a new concept!

Plus, free food, and alcohol for sale nearby!

hassettsportsman

I do wonder what visiting recruits are told about the empty seats....'don't worry those are season ticket holders who decided to watch it on TV'...or are tailgating outside the stadium.  As for the TV audience, i'm sure they drew their own conclusions.   

Pigsknuckles

Coastal Carolina was destined to be a low attendance game from the moment it hit the schedule. This wasn't as much a statement of discontent by the fans as much as it was a choice to view games that promised much better entertainment. Few expected that a team that was beaten soundly by ASU would scare the willies out of us last Saturday in what was supposed to be a scrimmage. If you want to see a fan statement, come to Fayetteville on November 18th, or 24th. That will be a much better indication of the heartbeat of our fans.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

hassettsportsman

Hey Knuckles I agree with your premise.  However, I was at the TCU game and witnessed an exodus midway in the 3rd quarter.  The fan base had lost confidence then! I want us to win out...for the team...not for the F- rated coaching staff. 

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: hassettsportsman on November 06, 2017, 12:49:52 pm
Hey Knuckles I agree with your premise.  However, I was at the TCU game and witnessed an exodus midway in the 3rd quarter.  The fan base had lost confidence then! I want us to win out...for the team...not for the F- rated coaching staff. 

I too was at the TCU debacle. I previously posted that the exodus from the South end zone seating looked like a Red Sea moving upstream, worthy of the movie Ten Commandments. Cue Charlton Heston.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"