Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

OK, Why the Heck is the Bengals Steelers game NOT in HD?

Started by Cornhogio, October 23, 2005, 12:04:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Cornhogio

Same wiht the Bama Tenn game yesterday.  The games were both meant to be in HD, but KFSM doesn't flip the freakin' switch!  Dammit!!!   >:(
Society is responsible for the night that it produces.

junkyardhog

Well, I have a '51 hdtv and don't get any hd channels. I want the HD DVR and it is 700 bucks. They say you can get an ota antennae, but I don't know.

Cornhogio

You can have all manner of equipment, but if the local channel won't carry the HD feed, it doesn't matter.  NWA channels are the suck.    >:( :puke:

blackheart

October 23, 2005, 12:12:13 pm #3 Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 12:16:05 pm by blackheart
How does this happen?

I mean, there has to be one guy whose responsibility is to "flip the switch."  Or is that something that's farmed out to the custodial help?

Does no one from KFSM own an HDTV?  Do they not watch their own station's programming?  Is there not one sports fanatic at the station that watches the NFL?  Or, as per the previous post, the SEC game of the week?

Thanks, Congress, for the 2009 HD switchover date.  If that holds, we'll actually get good HD service in about 2025 . . . .

junkyardhog

HD is the biggest scam there is in TV. They sell all these units and provide hardly any programming.

I will say that when you can get programming, HD is a tv viewing orgasm.

blackheart

Quote from: hogapalooza on October 23, 2005, 12:17:24 pm
It is at my house.... On a 53" wide screen.... NWA cox cable!! WOO WHO!!!

FIRE HDN!!!

Are you getting 1080i in 16:9?

Or just the digital 4:3 feed?  That's what I've got.  It looks slightly better than the analog channel, but it's not true HD.

I just tried powering down and restarting my cable box, but still black bars on each side of the screen . . .

Cornhogio

Quote from: hogapalooza on October 23, 2005, 12:17:24 pm
It is at my house.... On a 53" wide screen.... NWA cox cable!! WOO WHO!!!

FIRE HDN!!!

I've got Cox, and I'm in Lowell.  I'm on the KFSM HD Channel, and it's not in HD.  WTH?

blackheart

Quote from: hogapalooza on October 23, 2005, 12:21:54 pm
That is common on cox...???? The MNF game is always AWESOME!!!

But I think it is the 4:3 feed? Ask Mike I, he works at the station, or the HITMAN, they might be able to tell you more.?

FIRE HDN!!!

Actually, the MNF game has been awesome, sans the 1st game of the season.

KHOG dropped the ball during Week 1, failing to "Hit the Switch" for the ATL/PHI game.  Nothing like settling in for the first MNF game of the year, expecting to see it in all of it's HD glory, and then getting to watch it through a snowglobe.

blackheart

Maybe it's a CBS issue.

My signal just switched over to the PHI/SD game, in HD, for just a few seconds. . .

Who knows.

Cornhogio

It's not a CBS issue, it's a KFSM issue.  I guess they're sorta like Frank in that as long as the paying customers keep paying, they don't care about the quality of the product.   :(

blackheart

Quote from: Cornhogio on October 23, 2005, 12:54:28 pm
It's not a CBS issue, it's a KFSM issue. I guess they're sorta like Frank in that as long as the paying customers keep paying, they don't care about the quality of the product. :(

Not that I'm lumping them in the same category, but who do local affiliates answer to?

Case in point, KPBI-Fox.  That's the most wretched station on earth.  At what point does Fox say, "Enough.  You guys suck.  Someone else is going to carry our signal in your market."?

Or, as you say, as long as advertisers are paying the bill, does the quality of the station really matter?

As more people move to NWA from civilized areas, I think we're seeing and will continue to see greater demand for goods and services comprable to what they're accustomed to.

And, if it looks as if I'm machine gunning, I'm just trying to keep this tread top of mind, in case someone from KFSM looks in.  Maybe the issue will be fixed before the NYG-Denver game.

blackheart

Thanks for hitting the switch.

HD is back in business.

mikeirwin

Quote from: blackheart on October 23, 2005, 01:04:18 pm
It's not a CBS issue, it's a KFSM issue. I guess they're sorta like Frank in that as long as the paying customers keep paying, they don't care about the quality of the product. :(

Not that I'm lumping them in the same category, but who do local affiliates answer to?

Case in point, KPBI-Fox. That's the most wretched station on earth. At what point does Fox say, "Enough. You guys suck. Someone else is going to carry our signal in your market."?

Or, as you say, as long as advertisers are paying the bill, does the quality of the station really matter?

As more people move to NWA from civilized areas, I think we're seeing and will continue to see greater demand for goods and services comprable to what they're accustomed to.

And, if it looks as if I'm machine gunning, I'm just trying to keep this tread top of mind, in case someone from KFSM looks in. Maybe the issue will be fixed before the NYG-Denver game.
  I've had this explained to me and I still don't understand it. It's highly technical. I know it's not a matter of some guy forgetting to activate a switch. I will ask again and this time I will pay close attention. Maybe I'll even write it down so I can explain it.  ;D

Cornhogio

junkyardhog

Quote from: mikeirwin on October 23, 2005, 01:49:23 pm

Case in point, KPBI-Fox. That's the most wretched station on earth. At what point does Fox say, "Enough. You guys suck. Someone else is going to carry our signal in your market."?

And, if it looks as if I'm machine gunning, I'm just trying to keep this tread top of mind, in case someone from KFSM looks in. Maybe the issue will be fixed before the NYG-Denver game.
I've had this explained to me and I still don't understand it. It's highly technical. I know it's not a matter of some guy forgetting to activate a switch. I will ask again and this time I will pay close attention. Maybe I'll even write it down so I can explain it. ;D

Mike, please do. Your answer could determine whether I buy an Over the Air antennae or not. I already have 2 dishes on my roof, they say with a regular 'old' antennae, you can pick up HD locals.

blackheart

Quote from: junkyardhog on October 23, 2005, 02:07:53 pm
Quote from: mikeirwin on October 23, 2005, 01:49:23 pm

I've had this explained to me and I still don't understand it. It's highly technical. I know it's not a matter of some guy forgetting to activate a switch. I will ask again and this time I will pay close attention. Maybe I'll even write it down so I can explain it. ;D

Mike, please do. Your answer could determine whether I buy an Over the Air antennae or not. I already have 2 dishes on my roof, they say with a regular 'old' antennae, you can pick up HD locals.

Depending on where you're at, a $10 set of rabbit ears might do the trick.  I've heard that OTA HD is better, visually, than HD via cable because it's uncompressed.  It might be worth your while to try it with something inexpensive and returnable.

This site may help, as well:  http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

junkyardhog

already tried the rabbit ears. no luck. I'm about 40 miles from Little Rock. Need a blue antennae with an amp to get the HD's. NBC apparently has no HD channels right now, also they only broadcast on evenings (primetime) and some on the weekend.

TulsaHogFan

Yea i am researching it right now.  I have DISH and can not get any of the local HD channels.  I get ESPN and the rest but i don't get the ABC or any sunday HD channels.  I am reading up on it right now.  I have one of those 10 dollar antenna's at the office for watching football at work on the weekend.  I need to figure out how to get the locals in HD cause this is driving me insane.  I have an 811 HD reciever and i am reading that i may be able to pull the HD channels with this antenna.  I am invest in a nicer antenna once i get some cash availiable.  But i want to see if the 811's digital tuner will pick them up on its own.

We will see later tonight and i will let you know.

BTW does anyone know if you have a regular TV, don't you need an HD tuner along with the HD antenna?

junkyardhog

The 811 WILL pick up. It has the capapbilities to do that. I sold my 811 as my wife can't live without the DVR, I am saving to get the 942 right now.

You have to have an HDTV to get HD. You don't have to have satellite to pick up HD though.  If you have a 'regular' non hd tv, it will downconvert with a hd tuner thus giving you the 480 or 410 resolution.

GrizzledHogFan

I'm gonna have to agree with you on KPBI.  That thing is the sorriest excuse for a TV station that I've ever seen.
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: junkyardhog on October 23, 2005, 02:29:25 pm
The 811 WILL pick up. It has the capapbilities to do that. I sold my 811 as my wife can't live without the DVR, I am saving to get the 942 right now.

You have to have an HDTV to get HD. You don't have to have satellite to pick up HD though. If you have a 'regular' non hd tv, it will downconvert with a hd tuner thus giving you the 480 or 410 resolution.

I have the HD Toshiba 57 inch.  Actually my girlfriends dad and mom are coming over tonight to watch ESPN sunday night game to see what HD is like.  My girlfriend could care less, but when i showed it to her, she was like, DAMN  Thats amazing.  So she talked about it, and tonight i get a free dinner cause they want to see it now lol.

TulsaHogFan

Second question, has anyone gone from the Component (RGB cables) to the HDMI connection?  Is the difference worth it?  I went to the optical sound change, and loved the difference and now want to go from component to HDMI connection.

junkyardhog

Quote from: TulsaHogFan on October 23, 2005, 02:59:49 pm
Second question, has anyone gone from the Component (RGB cables) to the HDMI connection? Is the difference worth it? I went to the optical sound change, and loved the difference and now want to go from component to HDMI connection.

Most definetely worth it. You can see the difference. If you are going to spend the money on HD, spend the money and make it the best there is. The cables are only about 40 bucks at walmart.

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: junkyardhog on October 23, 2005, 03:01:19 pm
Second question, has anyone gone from the Component (RGB cables) to the HDMI connection? Is the difference worth it? I went to the optical sound change, and loved the difference and now want to go from component to HDMI connection.

Most definetely worth it. You can see the difference. If you are going to spend the money on HD, spend the money and make it the best there is. The cables are only about 40 bucks at walmart.

I am not sure my walmart actually carries that cable lol.  I think Radio Shack does, but they are out of stock on these.  I am going home for a second to check to see if its a HDMI or a DVI output from the dish. 

I know my HD tv has the HDMI input but and i want to take advantage of it.

GrizzledHogFan

Quote from: TulsaHogFan on October 23, 2005, 03:13:00 pm

I am not sure my walmart actually carries that cable lol. I think Radio Shack does, but they are out of stock on these. I am going home for a second to check to see if its a HDMI or a DVI output from the dish.

Personally, I'd recommend a Monster Cable HDMI cable from Best Buy.  Top of the line.
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

Cornhogio

Quote from: gmb_79 on October 23, 2005, 03:42:39 pm
Quote from: TulsaHogFan on October 23, 2005, 03:13:00 pm

I am not sure my walmart actually carries that cable lol. I think Radio Shack does, but they are out of stock on these. I am going home for a second to check to see if its a HDMI or a DVI output from the dish.

Personally, I'd recommend a Monster Cable HDMI cable from Best Buy. Top of the line.

Yes indeed.  I went like a week before I got around to hooking up the HDMI cables, and once I did, ho-lee crap.  Exquisite picture. 

TulsaHogFan

I found one on newegg.com for like 25.  Looks to be decent quality.  Right now i am trying to get my HD OTA figured out.  I want MNF in HD.  I have been watching the SD channel for weeks thinking i needed another antenna to get the HD channels.  Had no idea my regular one could pick em up.

junkyardhog

Let me know how the OTA works out!! Costs about 100 bucks at lowe's.

TulsaHogFan

I have been reading and a few people are saying they pick up the OTA HD channels better with rabbit ears and i know for a fact i have a pair of those sitting around.

TulsaHogFan

Ok got it up and running.  I am now getting HD local channels on my Dish reciever with the standard rabbit ears.  Its looking pretty good too.  I am pretty hacked at myself that it took me so long to figure this out, cause the difference is amazing.

forsaken bacon

Quote from: junkyardhog on October 23, 2005, 05:15:08 pm

I got an OTA amplified antenna from Walmart for $30.  I live in fayetteville and it works fairly well.  I just keep it behind my T.V. and turn it on when I want to watch HD programming.  KPBI Sucks.  I think our NBC affilliate is going to broadcast in HD soon.

junkyardhog

Quote from: forsaken bacon on October 23, 2005, 08:52:57 pm
Quote from: junkyardhog on October 23, 2005, 05:15:08 pm

I got an OTA amplified antenna from Walmart for $30. I live in fayetteville and it works fairly well. I just keep it behind my T.V. and turn it on when I want to watch HD programming. KPBI Sucks. I think our NBC affilliate is going to broadcast in HD soon.

I live further from the station than you guys. I am probably going to have to buy the external antennae with pre-amp.