Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Natural Gas

Started by ADAM_713, February 20, 2012, 12:27:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ADAM_713

Viable resource to power our autos? 
Quote from: kingofdequeen on May 19, 2010, 11:42:38 am
true story...

i paid a stripper $5 to slap me in the face right after i bit down on a lime after a tequila shot.  twas EPIC.

gwddog

Absolutely, it's already being done. I see pick up trucks everyday that run off both gasoline and CNG (compressed natural gas).
back 2 back 2 back

McKdaddy

Tulsa gov't vehicles, as well as city buses, have been converted to cng. Also I've began seeing cng pumps pop-up.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

snoblind

IIRC, UPS has/is converting a portion of their fleet.

HawgWild

Satterfield Oil Company out of Conway announced that they were going to be affiliated with Gulf oil. (Hadn't seen one of those stations in ages.) And, that they would be retrofitting their gas stations to have natural gas and electrical hookups available, in addition to gasoline.

AFWarrior83

Natural gas is already popular in Europe, we'll follow suit within the next decade...especially considering how we have so much natural gas in our own country. We have to get away from depending on the middle east eventually.
Hogville member since 2005.

OldPoop

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens my act only by permission.   Ayn Rand

You get what you pay for.   You pay for zombies, you get all you want – and then some. 
Milton Friedman
"To say the government is the source of prosperity is like saying that the ticks are keeping the dog alive."  Jeff Tucker
Government attracts sociopaths the way an open bar attracts alcoholics.      Doug Casey
War - the government tells you who the bad guy is . . . . . Revolution - you figure it out for yourself.

Cresthog

T Boone has a pump at his house.

Badass.

IronHog

Quote from: IdontgiveAdam_713 on February 20, 2012, 12:27:35 pm
Viable resource to power our autos? 

I'm guessing it will be the rural fuel of choice....maybe sooner than later.  Of course costs will rise then too....

But I can see a situation where those that use alot of fuel (think loggers, farmers, construction, trucking) buy machines that can use multiple fuels and have the ability to get said fuel for their machines.  When your dropping millions per year the costs here are not unrealistic spread over a decade.........

This is much more viable than say LA or Dallas commuters switching in the near term......
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Hawgndaaz

1.50 per gallon(or whatever the unit of measurement is). the number of pumps is extremely limited.

makes way too much sense, of course. some top SWN guys told me the main barrier to more CNG vehicles is how hard it is to get stations set up in Arkansas. Also, the Obama Administration has not pushed this alternative fuel source hard enough.

Flatline

All of AOG's vehicles run off of it. 

Natural gas prices are at the lowest they have ever been I believe.  I have several gas well leases so I would like to see us make the switch.

IronHog

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on March 22, 2012, 12:04:54 am
1.50 per gallon(or whatever the unit of measurement is). the number of pumps is extremely limited.

makes way too much sense, of course. some top SWN guys told me the main barrier to more CNG vehicles is how hard it is to get stations set up in Arkansas. Also, the Obama Administration has not pushed this alternative fuel source hard enough.

That is why IMO it MIGHT be a fuel for industrial users vs. the masses.

A diesel is kinda a multifuel engine anyway.  Really wouldn't be that hard for bulk plants to start filling the stuff for farmers, trucks, etc.

T Boone's plan isn't all that far fetched IMO.

ricepig

Quote from: IronHog on March 21, 2012, 11:54:09 pm
I'm guessing it will be the rural fuel of choice....maybe sooner than later.  Of course costs will rise then too....

But I can see a situation where those that use alot of fuel (think loggers, farmers, construction, trucking) buy machines that can use multiple fuels and have the ability to get said fuel for their machines.  When your dropping millions per year the costs here are not unrealistic spread over a decade.........

This is much more viable than say LA or Dallas commuters switching in the near term......

In the early 1990's Arkla was pushing to lay lines across farms in NEA, while many didn't want it, I let them lay pipe and set regulators to over 20 irrigation wells. My theory was to have an electric line, gas line, and a diesel tank at every well, and not be at the mercy of one source of energy provider. The biggest problem with the natural gas companies is they were always way above the future's price, the always had a locked in rate approved by the PSC.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: Flatline on March 22, 2012, 12:09:27 am
All of AOG's vehicles run off of it. 

Natural gas prices are at the lowest they have ever been I believe.  I have several gas well leases so I would like to see us make the switch.

don't get your hopes up.

they're moving out drilling rigs weekly now. SWN is going down to 5 or 6 in the next month or so.

also rumors of BHP pulling their drilling operation out of the state for a while. it could get real ugly around here.

Buff

I like the future of natural gas but I wouldn't go out and buy a CNG-powered vehicle tomorrow.

Masshog

A lot of fleets are slowly but surely converting as they retire older rigs. Bet fifteen years from now it will be about 100% of the commercial fleet.
My feets hurt.

IronHog

Quote from: ricepig on March 22, 2012, 08:05:14 am
In the early 1990's Arkla was pushing to lay lines across farms in NEA, while many didn't want it, I let them lay pipe and set regulators to over 20 irrigation wells. My theory was to have an electric line, gas line, and a diesel tank at every well, and not be at the mercy of one source of energy provider. The biggest problem with the natural gas companies is they were always way above the future's price, the always had a locked in rate approved by the PSC.

You see the the thing the farmer here in the state came up with where he was replacing power units with old rebuilt front halves of Mack trucks modified to be power units?

Pretty slick...... once they had the well up to speed they'd shift through the gears and get a dramatic fuel savings over a regular direct drive unit.