Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Retiring Overseas

Started by 1CavHog, July 02, 2010, 07:51:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

1CavHog

Anyone retired overseas or know anyone that has? I am in the Army and will retire at 43 and its still quite a few years away but am considering Panama or Mexico.

Silver Hog

Australia is pretty cool, and not too far removed from the US life.  I think you need to have over half a million in the bank to 'retire' there (for the visa requirement).  I don't know anything about Mexico or Panama tho.

Old Tusk

Consider Costa Rica. The biggest issue with retiring overseas is medical care.
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

IronHog

Quote from: 1CavHog on July 02, 2010, 07:51:46 am
Anyone retired overseas or know anyone that has? I am in the Army and will retire at 43 and its still quite a few years away but am considering Panama or Mexico.

What, and miss all the fun?
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

OldPoop

Quote from: 1CavHog on July 02, 2010, 07:51:46 am

I've read that several of the Mexican States (Provinces, or whatever) are completely run by druglords, the Mexican government has little power there.  I guess if you could get the top guy to like you, he could make you off limits to the generic criminal.

I know it will be bad here wtshtf, but the thought of being in some poor third world country when it happens sounds kind of scary to me.  This will be a world wide crash, and like it or not, Americans will be blamed for causing it.  You could end up being a scapegoat like the Jews in Germany and Poland in the 1930's.

IMO these little American communities of "rich" retirees, will not be looked upon very favorably by the locals when they start suffering.
We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens my act only by permission.   Ayn Rand

You get what you pay for.   You pay for zombies, you get all you want – and then some. 
Milton Friedman
"To say the government is the source of prosperity is like saying that the ticks are keeping the dog alive."  Jeff Tucker
Government attracts sociopaths the way an open bar attracts alcoholics.      Doug Casey
War - the government tells you who the bad guy is . . . . . Revolution - you figure it out for yourself.

1CavHog

I don't think America will implode I've just always enjoyed my times overseas. I love Corona, Mexican food, and soccer and a fixed pension goes a lot farther in 3rd world countries than the states. Unless you live in Louisiana but I would rather live in Somalia than the Bayou.

hog.goblin

Belize, on a coastal city

OldPoop

Quote from: 1CavHog on July 08, 2010, 09:32:26 pm
I don't think America will implode

We have accumulated a debt that we will never be able to pay off.
That leaves only two options that I know of:

1) Default - I really don't understand all the ramifications of doing this, but every "expert" I've read says we can't do it.  Evidently it's not like my worthless son-in-law declaring bankruptcy twice and going on merrily running up more staggering bills.

2) Inflation -  To make the payback in really cheap dollars.  Read up on the Weimar Republic (Germany right after WW1).  Their debt to other countries was so huge that they had to resort to inflation to pay it off.  People that had 50,000 Marks put away for a nice retirement never recieved it from their bank because the stamp to mail the check was more than 50,000.  The cost of a bottle of wine for supper,  was less than the deposit on the bottle the next day. An ounce of gold went from around $20 to trillion$.  I have a 50 million Mark note framed above my computer. It's only printed on one side to save ink. It was no more valuable than toilet paper.

If this is the route our government chooses to get out of this hole, I don't think you're retirement check will be worth anything, even in Mexico.

Get gold and silver while it is still affordable.
We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens my act only by permission.   Ayn Rand

You get what you pay for.   You pay for zombies, you get all you want – and then some. 
Milton Friedman
"To say the government is the source of prosperity is like saying that the ticks are keeping the dog alive."  Jeff Tucker
Government attracts sociopaths the way an open bar attracts alcoholics.      Doug Casey
War - the government tells you who the bad guy is . . . . . Revolution - you figure it out for yourself.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: hog.goblin on July 08, 2010, 10:19:45 pm
Belize, on a coastal city

There is a very nice US Military retirement community down there. I used to read about it in the USAF retirement mags my late father in law got.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

1CavHog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 25, 2010, 02:41:45 pm
There is a very nice US Military retirement community down there. I used to read about it in the USAF retirement mags my late father in law got.

Thanks I will check it out.