Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Off-the-court mess - out of control program...

Started by hogtheball, March 10, 2009, 06:39:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogtheball

Ray Willis was suspended a couple of weeks ago for "suspicion of DUI."  Juan Patillo was suspended for problems attending class and attitude - when is Jeff Capel going to get control of his Sooners program?

Grimes, Lyon, Carroll.....the list goes on and on for Mike Anderson's suspensions at Missouri in the last season and a half.  I could be wrong, but I think around nine or 10 suspensions in that time period for the Tigers.  When will Anderson get his team under control?

Does anyone remember Nolans '91, '92, '93 teams?  DUIs, cheating in class, rape allegations (although the four players in the room insisted they had consent), attitudes - the list went on and on. 

Criticize Pel for shortcomings on the court - that's fair and that's part of coaching D-1 basketball.  However, he doesn't deserve to be slammed for trying to discipline and control his kids.  He deserves support for what always proves (to any coach) to be an extremely difficult process.  Some of the players will grow and learn, and become better men.  And some of them will continue to live undisciplined lives until they end up in prison (if history teaches us anything).   

I applaud Pel for caring enough about his players to try to teach them about more than just basketball.  I support his disciplinary measures even when that means the most talented players might not be on the court on a given night.   And I hope that the players who remain - and wear the razorback jerseys - will be the ones who will play their best every night. 
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

akp4105

Quote from: hogtheball on March 10, 2009, 06:39:21 pm
Ray Willis was suspended a couple of weeks ago for "suspicion of DUI."  Juan Patillo was suspended for problems attending class and attitude - when is Jeff Capel going to get control of his Sooners program?

Grimes, Lyon, Carroll.....the list goes on and on for Mike Anderson's suspensions at Missouri in the last season and a half.  I could be wrong, but I think around nine or 10 suspensions in that time period for the Tigers.  When will Anderson get his team under control?

Does anyone remember Nolans '91, '92, '93 teams?  DUIs, cheating in class, rape allegations (although the four players in the room insisted they had consent), attitudes - the list went on and on. 

Criticize Pel for shortcomings on the court - that's fair and that's part of coaching D-1 basketball.  However, he doesn't deserve to be slammed for trying to discipline and control his kids.  He deserves support for what always proves (to any coach) to be an extremely difficult process.  Some of the players will grow and learn, and become better men.  And some of them will continue to live undisciplined lives until they end up in prison (if history teaches us anything).  

I applaud Pel for caring enough about his players to try to teach them about more than just basketball.  I support his disciplinary measures even when that means the most talented players might not be on the court on a given night.   And I hope that the players who remain - and wear the razorback jerseys - will be the ones who will play their best every night. 

WIN games and it wont be as big of a deal. If you have a bunch of discipline problems and you arent winning basketball games.. People are going to take notice.."This program is bad, outta control, coach is no good." If you win basketball games most of this stuff goes away or people dont care about it happening. D1 sports is all about WINNING. If you win, nothing else matters. Bottom Line.

thirtythree

Sometimes it's more than just winning games. JP has to teach these guys to be good people too. He has proved that he will sit his best players if they break the rules. I respect that.

akp4105

Quote from: thirtythree on March 10, 2009, 07:25:16 pm
Sometimes it's more than just winning games. JP has to teach these guys to be good people too. He has proved that he will sit his best players if they break the rules. I respect that.

You're right, it should be more than just about winning games. But its not to the majority of people. Winning solves a lot of problems.. thats just the way it is in D1 in America. If he wins games these topics arent that big of deal.. "who's in control of the team?" Because disciplinary problems coupled with losses means people are unhappy. You get some disciplinary problems with wins.. Most people will overlook those problems. It may not be what's right, but it's what happens.

idiotghos

I've got no issues with him trying to discipline players, but the problem is that there can be a convincing argument made that he is failing to discipline them, which is a big part of the job he is getting paid to do.

Hoggy1

You must be smokin somethin if you think I ain't smokin nothin

ruarealhogfan

Quote from: hogtheball on March 10, 2009, 06:39:21 pm

I applaud Pel for caring enough about his players to try to teach them about more than just basketball.  I support his disciplinary measures even when that means the most talented players might not be on the court on a given night.   And I hope that the players who remain - and wear the razorback jerseys - will be the ones who will play their best every night.

The fire Pelphrey campaign does not want to hear that any coach other than Pelphrey has kids who get into trouble.

HogBreath

Quote from: ruarealhogfan on March 10, 2009, 09:54:36 pm
The fire Pelphrey campaign does not want to hear that any coach other than Pelphrey has kids who get into trouble.
But on the other hand, very few of those coaches went 2-14 in league games.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Hoggy1

Quote from: ruarealhogfan on March 10, 2009, 09:54:36 pm

How many other "BCS" schools are 2-14 in conference with as many suspensions and issues this team has?

Exactly
You must be smokin somethin if you think I ain't smokin nothin

ruarealhogfan

Exactly my point...we had off court issues when the season started & we went 12-1 & beat Texas & OU, oh it was all good then, and the SAME PEOPLE who are BASHING our coach now knew dam well we had some kids who might have some issues, but they didn't care.  Only now that our record was bad, that 25% has BAILED on OUR team & it's really sad that some can only root for a program when it's team is winning!!!

WilsonHog

March 10, 2009, 10:56:45 pm #11 Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 10:58:41 pm by WilsonHog
It's all about winning everything else - graduation rates, off-field incidents - is window dressing. Those things become minor inconveniences if a team is winning, but gasoline on the fire if not.

Now, I wish that weren't the reality of the situation. Then again, I wish that all of our players graduated. I wish that none of them ever got in trouble and spent all of their free time doing charitable work. I wish that all of them were the kind of young men a daddy would want his daughter to marry.

But I live in the real world.

(Geez, take it back to Nolan...he called us "turds and posters," but that didn't stop us from filling arena after arena to cheer him and his team to one victory after another.)