Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whoever the Razorbacks' HC is Next Year

Started by WilsonHog, March 10, 2009, 09:32:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

Regardless of who it else, Pel or otherwise, he needs to get these kids under control or cut 'em loose.

RazorHawg16

Pel will be back next year and yes I would bet 10 grand that he will be back.

WilsonHog

Quote from: RazorHawg16 on March 10, 2009, 09:33:49 am
Pel will be back next year and yes I would bet 10 grand that he will be back.

If he is, he most certainly better get his young men under control. Some behaviors better change before the AD has decided he's seen enough.

And I'm not talking ANYTHING to do with wins and losses. Nothing.

RazorHawg16

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 10, 2009, 09:53:19 am
If he is, he most certainly better get his young men under control. Some behaviors better change before the AD has decided he's seen enough.

And I'm not talking ANYTHING to do with wins and losses. Nothing.
From everything I have heard there is only one thing out of all of them that I have a problem with. The other things are just being 18-22 years old.

jst01

He needs to be consistent in his leadership and earn the respect of the players.

If the players feel like he lacks in the way he leads, teaches, and disciplines; they will not respect him as a coach.  They wont believe what he is trying to teach them and they will get no where.

The scary thing is, he has given NO reason for the players & fans to believe he has a goal and knows how to get there. The team has to look to someone or something as the foundation of the re-building and right now, I dont see Pel being it.

RazorHawg16

Quote from: jst01 on March 10, 2009, 09:59:03 am
He needs to be consistent in his leadership and earn the respect of the players.

If the players feel like he lacks in the way he leads, teaches, and disciplines; they will not respect him as a coach.  They wont believe what he is trying to teach them and they will get no where.

The scary thing is, he has given NO reason for the players & fans to believe he has a goal and knows how to get there. The team has to look to someone or something as the foundation of the re-building and right now, I dont see Pel being it.
There are times that even a coach needs a new season to start over. This hurts Pel more than all of us here combined.

WilsonHog

Quote from: jst01 on March 10, 2009, 09:59:03 am

There is an old saying in the legal profession among those who do trial work before juries.

You cannot unring a bell.

One indicia of lack of respect is when the same stuff continues to happen. That means either the message isn't the right one or the people aren't listening.   

aristotle

Did something else happen, Wilson or is this a statement in general?

RazorHawg16

Quote from: aristotle on March 10, 2009, 10:06:23 am
No nothing else happened. People are looking for things that aren't there.

RazorHawg16

Quote from: Tomhog™ on March 10, 2009, 10:06:02 am
Yep.  Even learned that one of the incoming players next year is having some off-court issues.  These kids better learn.
These guys aren't going to be in bed at 10 pm every night. When we hear about one of these kids getting in trouble we freak out and go way over board with it. I would much rather them be smoking pot than getting drunk and running around Dixon anyday.

heathtits

Quote from: RazorHawg16 on March 10, 2009, 10:08:07 am

Keep telling yourself that.

Fortson shot the ball 27 times against Vandy. How do you think that boded in the locker room?

2 games ago Jason Henry played 5 minutes. Its been made clear that was not due to injury.

When Wilsonhog is this serious, its time to get over your fantasy with John Pelphrey and give up denial.

Our coach doesn't even mention winning in the press conferences. Its utterly pathetic. It appears we have no goals whatsoever.

RazorHawg16

Quote from: heathtits on March 10, 2009, 10:14:43 am

Fortson shot the ball 27 times against Vandy. How do you think that boded in the locker room?

2 games ago Jason Henry played 5 minutes. Its been made clear that was not due to injury.

When Wilsonhog is this serious, its time to get over your fantasy with John Pelphrey and give up denial.

Our coach doesn't even mention winning in the press conferences. Its utterly pathetic. It appears we have no goals whatsoever.
So lets just hit the dang panic button and fire his ass today! That would solve it all! Or we could sit back and see if things improve next year. I am willing to bet the 10 grand that they will be better.

The Marmot

Quote from: RazorHawg16 on March 10, 2009, 10:13:13 am
I would much rather them be smoking pot than getting drunk and running around Dixon anyday.

Basketball or not, they shouldnt be doing either, since both are illegal for most of these guys.

But, since they are on the b'ball team, there are more rules they have to abide by. They were aware of these rules in the beginning. If they didn't want to go along with them, they shouldn't have signed the scholarship. Being on scholarship, for anything, means taking on more responsibility both as a student and a person.
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

RazorHawg16

Quote from: The Marmot on March 10, 2009, 10:22:43 am
Basketball or not, they shouldnt be doing either, since both are illegal for most of these guys.

But, since they are on the b'ball team, there are more rules they have to abide by. They were aware of these rules in the beginning. If they didn't want to go along with them, they shouldn't have signed the scholarship. Being on scholarship, for anything, means taking on more responsibility both as a student and a person.
Well you are exactly right they shouldn't be doing either. now in a perfect world if no one did either we would all be perfect little angels too.

The Marmot

Quote from: RazorHawg16 on March 10, 2009, 10:24:54 am
Well you are exactly right they shouldn't be doing either. now in a perfect world if no one did either we would all be perfect little angels too.

Point is, if they're going to continue to do this stuff, they should/will not be part of the team. Its their choice.

There is a higher standard for them due to their scholarship.
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

RazorHawg16

Quote from: The Marmot on March 10, 2009, 10:27:58 am
Point is, if they're going to continue to do this stuff, they should/will not be part of the team. Its their choice.
There may be one team in the past 30 years that didn't have players doing these things.

Hogbody

I thought Petrino was the Razorbacks' coach next year?.....oh wait....

The Marmot

Quote from: RazorHawg16 on March 10, 2009, 10:28:59 am
There may be one team in the past 30 years that didn't have players doing these things.

Whats your point?

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: heathtits on March 10, 2009, 10:14:43 am

It's not secret a lack of depth has lost us some games. What you don't hear people discuss about it is lack of COMPETITION that this team has within itself. These kids aren't responding because the coach has no alternative but to play them!

There's just no real threat at any position to fear sitting the bench.

RazorHawg16

Quote from: The Marmot on March 10, 2009, 10:30:35 am
Whats your point?
That we should give Pel a chance instead of firing him before he gets a chance.

WilsonHog

Quote from: RazorHawg16 on March 10, 2009, 10:08:07 am

I don't make a post based on "looking for things," Razorhawg16, nor do I post based on "things that aren't there."

Most people who have been around Hogville the last few years know that. You will learn it in time.   

PennaHog

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 10, 2009, 10:42:38 am
I don't make a post based on "looking for things," Razorhawg16, nor do I post based on "things that aren't there."

Most people who have been around Hogville the last few years know that. You will learn it in time.

Holy Crap Wilson.....that was some serious restraint you showed.   I'm suprised you didn't light him up.  Not sure what I would have done even if I had half the posts you have.....

WPS GHG
:razorback:
This comment is the absolute dumbest thing ever said on this board:

Quote from: Porkem Yung on December 05, 2010, 01:03:52 am
I thought you were a military man? 
You would think, serving our great country, would have taught you some respect for authority.
Lando is a moderator.  Respect his authority.

RazorHawg16

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 10, 2009, 10:42:38 am

So what happened then?

mhuff

I believe a lot of coaches did not want the Arkansas job because expectations were too high and it is hard to recruit to Arkansas. I have since also determined that programs are buying players away from us. Why not? The NCAA only gives certain programs a slap on the hand and makes an example out of smaller programs. In the next few years I look for recruits to come out of the Memphis area that will allow us to play man to man and get back to some real BB. Players have to believe that Arkansas is an up and coming program before they will come. That is not going to happen overnight.

RazorHawg16

Quote from: Tomhog™ on March 10, 2009, 10:57:14 am
What does it matter to you RazorHawg?  You'd just dismiss it anyways.
Yesterday he was saying that he has no inside sources. Now he is trying to say something happened? Well What happened and how did he find out if he doesn't have any inside sources?

Not being a jerk, I am just tired of trying to decipher what is real and make believe from people behind their computer monitors.

mhuff

I believe a lot of coaches did not want the Arkansas job because expectations were too high and it is hard to recruit to Arkansas. I have since also determined that programs are buying players away from us. Why not? The NCAA only gives certain programs a slap on the hand and makes an example out of smaller programs. In the next few years I look for recruits to come out of the Memphis area that will allow us to play man to man and get back to some real BB. Players have to believe that Arkansas is an up and coming program before they will come. That is not going to happen overnight.

The Marmot

Quote from: RazorHawg16 on March 10, 2009, 10:34:55 am
That we should give Pel a chance instead of firing him before he gets a chance.

And I'm not talking about Pel. I'm talking about the players getting their own act together or getting the boot.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

heathtits

For god's sake its "Dickson Street", not "Dixon".

Razor, what don't you understand about the majority of us who watched the entire season and saw no improvement not having confidence in any improvement next season? 29 games into the season there STILL isn't any accountability. Fortson shooting 27 times and missing 20 of them THE LAST CONFERENCE GAME OF THE SEASON is clear evidence of this. Washington shot the ball a whopping 6 times. Not a single player had over 10 boards and we got out rebounded 31-45. We had 7 assists to Vandy's 17. Again this is after 28 games!!! Its one thing to get beat on the scoreline, but in EVERY SINGLE facet of the game this late in the year is just utterly woeful.

If these guys don't give a damn what their coach says now, which is clear, why would they 2-3 years into college and older? Especially with some of them turning 21.

This is our concern.

RazorHawg16

Quote from: heathtits on March 10, 2009, 11:41:15 am

Razor, what don't you understand about the majority of us who watched the entire season and saw no improvement not having confidence in any improvement next season? 29 games into the season there STILL isn't any accountability. Fortson shooting 27 times and missing 20 of them THE LAST CONFERENCE GAME OF THE SEASON is clear evidence of this. Washington shot the ball a whopping 6 times. Not a single player had over 10 boards and we got out rebounded 31-45. We had 7 assists to Vandy's 17. Again this is after 28 games!!! Its one thing to get beat on the scoreline, but in EVERY SINGLE facet of the game this late in the year is just utterly woeful.

If these guys don't give a damn what their coach says now, which is clear, why would they 2-3 years into college and older? Especially with some of them turning 21.

This is our concern.
So are you saying that we should fire Pel after year two?

WilsonHog

Quote from: RazorHawg16 on March 10, 2009, 12:02:26 pm

If Jeff Long believes he doesn't have the requisite skills to run our program, I certainly am. 

RazorHawg16

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 10, 2009, 12:05:16 pm
If Jeff Long believes he doesn't have the requisite skills to run our program, I certainly am. 
Do you think Jeff Long doesn't believe that he does have the skills to run the program?

heathtits

Quote from: RazorHawg16 on March 10, 2009, 12:02:26 pm

Nope. Never have once said that because its not my decision.

BUT, hypothetically, if it were my decision, based STRICTLY on off the court stuff, and on the contingency that we have someone more proven lined up, yes I would.

I don't get why people are so worried about putting too much pressure on the coach? We are a historical program, its not as if coaches who consider UNC, KU, UK and others aren't aware of it. We are no worse than any of them. UNC fans called for Doherty after year 1.

If we made it totally clear the reasons for firing, i.e. all the crap going on in the locker room and off the court, I don't think any coach would consider us quick in pulling the trigger. I also think Pel is at a major disadvantage in that he was not hired by Jeff Long. No reason for Jeff Long to have a soft spot for him.

But again, I am not Jeff Long. All I can go off is my gut feeling and right now its pure agony.

Hoggy1

How come it seems with each passing day, I feel like Pel is that much closer to just getting canned?

I'd say it's a coin flip whether he returns next season.  50/50
You must be smokin somethin if you think I ain't smokin nothin

Baconator

Quote from: GiveEmHellPel on March 10, 2009, 12:07:52 pm
How come it seems with each passing day, I feel like Pel is that much closer to just getting canned?

I'd say it's a coin flip whether he returns next season.  50/50

The odds on Pel's survival will be much clearer in the offseason when it becomes apparent who's staying, who's leaving, who's eligible, and who's not. Right now I'd put my money on him being released in the middle of next season, but that's just a guess. 

WilsonHog

Quote from: RazorHawg16 on March 10, 2009, 12:07:00 pm
Do you think Jeff Long doesn't believe that he does have the skills to run the program?

Don't know for certain.

I do believe he is concerned about it. 

RazorHawg16

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 10, 2009, 12:30:46 pm
Don't know for certain.

I do believe he is concerned about it. 
There is a fine line between being concerned and firing a coach after year two.

WilsonHog

March 10, 2009, 12:40:33 pm #37 Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 12:45:23 pm by WilsonHog
Quote from: RazorHawg16 on March 10, 2009, 12:33:16 pm
There is a fine line between being concerned and firing a coach after year two.

Did I say he would be fired? Point it out.

No, what I said was that if Jeff Long believed a certain way then I would support it. As a matter of fact, I'm going to support whatever Long decides.

Is there something about those words hindering your comprehension of them?

RazorHawg16

Wilson, I am sorry sir. I am frustrated with everything. I just wish it would all go away. We were so good at one point and now we are rock bottom. Sometimes I even hit rock bottom.

OKhogfan1959

If Pel does leave or get fired the next guy will have a ton of recruiting to do..Expect some transfer's. New coach will have to completely start over.

Hogbody

Quote from: LawnHog48 on March 10, 2009, 12:48:12 pm
If Pel does leave or get fired the next guy will have a ton of recruiting to do..Expect some transfer's. New coach will have to completely start over.

we are basically starting over anyways

pignatious

March 10, 2009, 12:49:22 pm #41 Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 01:18:09 pm by pignatious
If Jeff Long is a capable AD, and I think he is, he has to do a thorough review of Pelphrey's performance at season's end and take into account all factors including wins and losses, player development, whether the players are going to class, whether or not there is consistent discipline on the team, etc. If he reviews all of the factors that make up a successful head coach, and decides that we need to go another direction, I will support him 100%. If Pelphrey comes back, I will expect dramatic improvement next year. That is being better than an average SEC team.
Freedom is never free.

heathtits

Quote from: Hogbody on March 10, 2009, 12:48:42 pm
we are basically starting over anyways

So on the contingency that we can get another more nameworthy coach. At this point why not?

donewithdale

Quote from: heathtits on March 10, 2009, 11:41:15 am

This is our concern.

Who the hell did you want trying to score our points with our only post option on the bench in foul trouble and Vandy not leaving Clarke in the 2nd half?  This is what happens when the roster is so limited you have no options.  GD- It would be like a QB throwing 5 picks but stays in and keeps throwing because you have no backs and your backup QB is a walkon.

thirtythree

Quote from: donewithdale on March 10, 2009, 01:12:32 pm
Who the hell did you want trying to score our points with our only post option on the bench in foul trouble and Vandy not leaving Clarke in the 2nd half?  This is what happens when the roster is so limited you have no options.  GD- It would be like a QB throwing 5 picks but stays in and keeps throwing because you have no backs and your backup QB is a walkon.

I agree. CF was lighting it up with Clarke in the first half. They were our only scoring threats and they blanketed Clarke the 2nd half. I don't have a problem with CF shooting as many times as he didn in that game. Now if there were other legitimate options I would change my mind, but there werrn't.

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 10, 2009, 12:40:33 pm
Did I say he would be fired? Point it out.

No, what I said was that if Jeff Long believed a certain way then I would support it. As a matter of fact, I'm going to support whatever Long decides.

Is there something about those words hindering your comprehension of them?

Does this work in court?  You lost me at condescension.  From someone who's views I usually respect, I'm pretty disappointed. 

I don't mean to speak for the guy, but it sounds like he just wants some specifics.  Since I'm viewing from afar myself, I can see where that would certainly help.  Cryptic pronouncements of "getting them under control" don't help me much.   

rzrbackrob

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 10, 2009, 12:40:33 pm

I'll go as far to say that I will give Jeff Long the benefit of the doubt, even if I personally disagree with the direction he takes the program. I think the changes he has made have been good so far. Following "whatever"  someone else decides is not a good policy.
Good is the enemy of great

WilsonHog

Quote from: rzrbackrob on March 10, 2009, 02:15:19 pm
I'll go as far to say that I will give Jeff Long the benefit of the doubt, even if I personally disagree with the direction he takes the program. I think the changes he has made have been good so far. Following "whatever"  someone else decides is not a good policy.

If Long decides to make a change I feel comfortable that he will have solicited input from the right people prior to making that decision.

NwaHogsFan

Jason Henry & a recruit were getting in some trouble at WalMart...
Quote from: aristotle on March 10, 2009, 10:06:23 am

rzrbackrob

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 10, 2009, 02:18:15 pm
If Long decides to make a change I feel comfortable that he will have solicited input from the right people prior to making that decision.

WilsonHog thanks for for keeping this Forum well managed. I really appreciate what you do to give me a place to learn and express my views about our Hogs.

Good is the enemy of great