Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Anderson

Started by Porkatarian, March 09, 2009, 09:07:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mathhog

Quote from: UAfan on March 09, 2009, 10:13:51 pm
The point is we weren't.  We haven't been that relevant since the 90's.  What I'm saying is at this point I would be thrilled with a sweet 16 appearance.  The SEC doesn't matter when you're a lock. 

i would be thrilled with a sweet 16 as well.  you seem to forget the 'seed' things im talking about are the NCAAs, NOT the sectourney.   

if pel had 3 years of what pearl had, we wouldn't be building statues, we'd be on the road to a tubby-smith-fan-land, where grumblings of 'can't get it done!' are routine. 

think about it.  read those results again.  if pel did that after 3 years hog fans would be saying "30 wins and nothing to show for it?  losing to bad teams in the ncaas? where's the beef!"

otherwise, i think we agree...

WilsonHog

Quote from: stronguard on March 09, 2009, 10:12:45 pm
Mike had his shot as defacto head coach the last 4 years of Nolan.  It's when our slide from greatness began.   Mizzou looks good now, but only because the B12 isn't used to that style of ball.  Once the B12 gets used to Mike's version of 40MOH,  Mizzou will slip back down into above averageness (is that a word?)

Pel needs at least another year to show what he can do.  The lynch mob needs to stand down.  The same tactics that were needed after 10 years of NuttyBuddy shouldn't be implemented after 2 years of Pel.  We will improve next year, and you will see a different style of play.  To do that, we need to go 11 or 12 deep.  We'll get there if the buffoons that keep calling for Pel's job will quiet down.

If you want Pel at UA next year, the "buffoons" on Hogville are not the people you ought to be concerned about.

We neither make nor influence decisions, and if Jeff Long makes a decision on Pel that you, Mathhog, 33, or HawgAdvocate don't like I can assure you it will not be because of anything on Hogville.

UAfan

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 09, 2009, 10:17:57 pm
If you want Pel at UA next year, the "buffoons" on Hogville are not the people you ought to be concerned about.

We neither make nor influence decisions, and if Jeff Long makes a decision on Pel that you, Mathhog, 33, or HawgAdvocate don't like I can assure you it will not be because of anything on Hogville.
WilsonHog do you have anything to believe that Pel is gone?

mathhog

So what have you heard?  I think all the rumblings of firings are just bluster, i haven't heard anything about it in 'real life', just on the internet.  Porkatarian is usually dead on though, which makes these vague posts even more puzzling because they can mean anything.

I still stand by that Jeff Long isn't doing anything this year, and if he does, he's not a very good AD: everyone knows the partial extent of the mess the program is in, and it didnt start when Pel got here.  If it was bad enough to run off Dana Altman, there's nothing "super worse" this year alone that wasn't here in 07 or 05 under stan.

If you've heard something otherwise, please post it, but it just doesn't jive with what I've heard.

UAfan

Quote from: mathhog on March 09, 2009, 10:26:14 pm
So what have you heard?  I think all the rumblings of firings are just bluster, i haven't heard anything about it in 'real life', just on the internet.  Porkatarian is usually dead on though, which makes these vague posts even more puzzling because they can mean anything.

I still stand by that Jeff Long isn't doing anything this year, and if he does, he's not a very good AD: everyone knows the partial extent of the mess the program is in, and it didnt start when Pel got here.  If it was bad enough to run off Dana Altman, there's nothing "super worse" this year alone that wasn't here in 07 or 05 under stan.

If you've heard something otherwise, please post it, but it just doesn't jive with what I've heard.
Gotta agree.

idochog

I am not a big fan of Mike Anderson.  He was basically running the Hog team the last few years of Nolan and you see what we got.  He was also Nolan's lead recruiter especially the last few years: NO THANKS to Mike Anderson
I love Jesus!

ar_sports_talk

Quote from: Porkatarian on March 09, 2009, 09:07:30 pm
I think Mike is a GREAT coach.

Porkatarian out...

I think Porkatarian is a GREAT poster.

ar_sports_talk out...
Need a good laugh?  Click below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVr8nvs6re0

jamie72921

Quote from: stronguard on March 09, 2009, 10:12:45 pm
Mike had his shot as defacto head coach the last 4 years of Nolan.  It's when our slide from greatness began.   Mizzou looks good now, but only because the B12 isn't used to that style of ball.  Once the B12 gets used to Mike's version of 40MOH,  Mizzou will slip back down into above averageness (is that a word?)

Pel needs at least another year to show what he can do.  The lynch mob needs to stand down.  The same tactics that were needed after 10 years of NuttyBuddy shouldn't be implemented after 2 years of Pel.  We will improve next year, and you will see a different style of play.  To do that, we need to go 11 or 12 deep.  We'll get there if the buffoons that keep calling for Pel's job will quiet down.

BS.

I guess the boss where you work has given all authority over to the workers? You actually believe Nolan did that?

You don't know much about Nolan Richardson if you do.

This BS that Anderson ran the program into the ground here as defacto head coach has got to stop. There isn't one shred of evidence for it except for the lunatic posts of neophyte Razorback Basketball fans.

My family has been closely associated with the Hog basketball program since before Sutton was here and I can tell you that Anderson did NOT act as head coach here except for the period after Nolan was dismissed.

The fact that the man has succeeded at every job he has taken since being here should tell you that rumor has no basis in fact.

Quit repeating bs please.
Bless your heart

idochog

I am not a Mike Anderson fan but I will say this, He has proven far more than Pel has that is for sure.

So given the current circumstances he would be a definite improvement.
I love Jesus!

mathhog

Quote from: jamie72921 on March 09, 2009, 10:36:04 pm

BS.

I guess the boss where you work has given all authority over to the workers? You actually believe Nolan did that?

You don't know much about Nolan Richardson if you do.

This BS that Anderson ran the program into the ground here as defacto head coach has got to stop. There isn't one shred of evidence for it except for the lunatic posts of neophyte Razorback Basketball fans.

My family has been closely associated with the Hog basketball program since before Sutton was here and I can tell you that Anderson did NOT act as head coach here except for the period after Nolan was dismissed.

The fact that the man has succeeded at every job he has taken since being here should tell you that rumor has no basis in fact.

Quit repeating bs please.

family connections or not, you never watched games or kept up with recruiting then.   mike was THE in-game coach for the last 3? years or so (nolan was grooming him) and the lead recruiter for the wunderkind eddins class.

HogKongPhooey

Thank you.  I do not understand why members of a message board expressing their frustration and concern during a record setting bad season are being blamed for doing just that. 

If it's uncomfortable to read, I guess there are other things you can do with your time.  But to continually bash and smite folks who don't share your optimism that just another year of experience guarantees a 180 from this trainwreck of a season, is just as "foolish" as wanting a coach fired after his 2nd season.

elksnort

We'll get there if the buffoons that keep calling for Pel's job will quiet down.
-strongguard

The rest of your post seemed pretty sound, but I'm not sure about the statement above. Who are the buffoons and are these buffoons really so influencial? So, basically, if the buffoons keep it up, Pelphrey will have a more difficult time winning?

HawgAdvocate

I'll always support Razorback basketball, no matter who the coach is. I'm loyal to the program over the coach, just a I was when Nolan went to war with the BAC. I love Nolan, but he set these wheels in motion in 1996.

It does amaze me though the amount of people I talk to on a daily basis who take rumors and discussion from this board and blindly accept it as fact. Opinions are so easily swayed here by those just seeking updates. Many times when a mod posts something, many rush to assume it's some cryptic message that predicts the future. I've already gotten three texts tonight from people asking me about Pork's "I love Mike Anderson" thread.

I also think, barring a felony or a massive dose of NCAA sanctions, that Pel deserves at least four years. To jump ship before then would be tragic, and odds are that it would set this program back even further.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

UAfan

Quote from: HogKongPhooey on March 09, 2009, 10:43:39 pm
Thank you.  I do not understand why members of a message board expressing their frustration and concern during a record setting bad season are being blamed for doing just that. 

If it's uncomfortable to read, I guess there are other things you can do with your time.  But to continually bash and smite folks who don't share your optimism that just another year of experience guarantees a 180 from this trainwreck of a season, is just as "foolish" as wanting a coach fired after his 2nd season.
There's a difference between frustration and calling for a coaches head.  Especially when there are no grounds for a firing.

donewithdale

Quote from: HogKongPhooey on March 09, 2009, 10:43:39 pm

I don't see where stronguard mentioned Hogville or any message board in his post.  And he has a point about fans going after Pel like he is Nutt.  Its like Nutt changed us into a hardened cruel fan base that won't trust the admin and AD to ever do the right thing in a timely manner.  The criticism is fine and most of it is justified.  But the attacks have been relentless and the rumors and suggestions without any backup or explanation got excessive weeks ago.

HogKongPhooey

Quote from: UAfan on March 09, 2009, 10:50:25 pm
There's a difference between frustration and calling for a coaches head.  Especially when there are no grounds for a firing.
I would argue that a coach is paid to WIN games, so I would expect some would rightfully take issue with a 2-14 SEC record and say that is grounds for firing.  The SEC dismissed 2 of its coaches midway through the season for that very reason....wins and losses.

YABBBUF

Only phrase I can think of if Pel is fired is.

The inmates are running the asylum. 

It Would really make me believe that the AD made decisions based on a vocal part of the fan base, instead of a sound business decision..
You are welcome Slacker.

UAfan

Quote from: HogKongPhooey on March 09, 2009, 10:54:22 pm
I would argue that a coach is paid to WIN games, so I would expect some would rightfully take issue with a 2-14 SEC record and say that is grounds for firing.  The SEC dismissed 2 of its coaches midway through the season for that very reason....wins and losses.
Both established coaches in the SEC who were given time to prove themselves.

elksnort

Pelphrey, at most, deserves the right to coach next year and show marked improvement from this year. I'd say 0.500 in conference and an NIT bid. If his team will accomplish this with no very troubling off the court issues, then give him another year to further improve.

But my no way should Pelphrey have a 'blanket' four more years stay regardless of the results.

donewithdale

Quote from: UAfan on March 09, 2009, 10:56:37 pm

Agreed.  Gottfried would have been gone from a university that cared about basketball years ago.  To suggest UGa or Bama is holding their basketball coaches to a higher standard is ridiculous.

HogKongPhooey

Maybe so, but whether you agree or not, sports is a business and fans are all about winning.  It puts butts in the seats and money into the programs.  Does Pel need/deserve another year?  If I'm AD I want a lengthy discussion about what actions are going to be taken to right the ship.  If he has a plan, then I give him a chance to work his plan. 

That is fair, not just a blank check of 3-5 years.  This is a mess and it needs to be addressed by Pel or Long, but it needs to be addressed.

elksnort

Yeah, one of them won the SEC tournament last year.

jamie72921

Quote from: mathhog on March 09, 2009, 10:40:39 pm
family connections or not, you never watched games or kept up with recruiting then.   mike was THE in-game coach for the last 3? years or so (nolan was grooming him) and the lead recruiter for the wunderkind eddins class.

BS.

Nolan conducted practices, games and yes, he didn't do much recruiting, which I am sure ENHANCED the ability of his coaches to land recruits.

Quincy Lewis chose Minn over Arkansas due to Nolan's refusal to spend any time with the kid. We lost Emeka Okafur because Calhoun visited him at his high school at the last possible moment in the recruiting process and Nolan did not give much personal interest.

Sorry, but Nolan was the "in game coach" for every game he was ever on the bench for.

You are deluded.
Bless your heart

Notorious H.O.G

What I'm hearing is we won't hear any news about Mike Anderson until Missouri's season is over...and that many former players and ppl close to the program have let Jeff Long know what they think, not just about the record, but the poor effort, character, and a less than steller in coming class...also its up to Pel if he stays or not, he'll have to cut loose his assistants or everyone is gone...again take it for what its worth...

bvillepig

Just pretend for a moment
The self inflicted ban of JUCO players from 1996 had an impact on Nolan
The constant bitching about not recruiting in state players had an impact (He gave you what you asked for)
Broyles and the admin hanging Nolan out to dry with Pate Adebyo Saxon and Poole who were supposed to be elgible right
Broyles best friend Harrod involved in a scandel and gets the full support of the admin.

I love the UA but Nolan was shafted and after years of frustation he sat down.

I would welcome him back tommorrow.

Pork and Wilson I do not know you guys but I have a lot of admiration for what you guys write. I do pay attention.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Notorious H.O.G on March 09, 2009, 11:38:11 pm
What I'm hearing is we won't hear any news about Mike Anderson until Missouri's season is over...and that many former players and ppl close to the program have let Jeff Long know what they think, not just about the record, but the poor effort, character, and a less than steller in coming class...also its up to Pel if he stays or not, he'll have to cut loose his assistants or everyone is gone...again take it for what its worth...

Oh Boy.  Another one.  What day is the presser, and what time?

rzrbackrob

What coach in his right mind would let the athletic director decide who he has on his staff? Can you imagine how that would go over with a coach like Petrino? If this is true, I think Jeff Long has been spending too much time down in JFB office learning how to meddle.
Good is the enemy of great

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: bvillepig on March 09, 2009, 11:44:16 pm
The constant bitching about not recruiting in state players had an impact (He gave you what you asked for)
Broyles and the admin hanging Nolan out to dry with Pate Adebyo Saxon and Poole who were supposed to be elgible right
Broyles best friend Harrod involved in a scandel and gets the full support of the admin.

Pork and Wilson I do not know you guys but I have a lot of admiration for what you guys write. I do pay attention.

Pretending is the only way your "facts" could be accepted as true.  Revisionist history at its best.

moley_russells_wart_hog

you know it would be kinda sweet to steal wingo then anderson from missu

jkstock04

Quote from: rzrbackrob on March 09, 2009, 11:48:21 pm
What coach in his right mind would let the athletic director decide who he has on his staff? Can you imagine how that would go over with a coach like Petrino? If this is true, I think Jeff Long has been spending too much time down in JFB office learning how to meddle.
With the way things are going, what is an AD supposed to do?  Sit back in his chair, smile and say "keep up the good work!!"  When things are going as poorly as they are...the AD has to step in and do something...whatever that may be....to ensure that the program is headed in the right direction.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

mathhog

as i said in your other thread, thanks for posting "the big rumor", but i call bs.  jeff long should be fired on the spot if he is making these kind of demeands, and i haven't heard a dang thing in "real life" about this, only on the internets of hogville.......

Jim Harris

Porkatarian out...

you'd be screaming to run Mike off if he were stuck coaching in the second year after Heath's ouster.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

ruarealhogfan

if nothing else it has generated a bunch of traffic & posts...always good for a website

mathhog

and just like that...  the only thread with non-vaguley-amorphous rumors is shuffled away....

yeah, it's not happening.  question.  does sexton represent college basketball coaches as well? ie, those from missouri?

Newhopehog

We havent been relevant in over ten years...Arkansas's history means nothing to the kids today...It's what have you done lately which is nothing......and mathog is right the hack attack will get killed on the road in the sec......he had better be ten deep with athletes as good or better than the competition...

rzrbackrob

Quote from: jkstock04 on March 09, 2009, 11:52:17 pm
With the way things are going, what is an AD supposed to do?  Sit back in his chair, smile and say "keep up the good work!!"  When things are going as poorly as they are...the AD has to step in and do something...whatever that may be....to ensure that the program is headed in the right direction.

Hire a coach and let him sink or swim on his own. Fire him or stay out of his way. Now if you are just curious if he has a set, this would be a pretty good thing to do to find out.
Good is the enemy of great

Sharp Shooter

Quote from: drakehog on March 09, 2009, 11:56:34 pm
you'd be screaming to run Mike off if he were stuck coaching in the second year after Heath's ouster.

I think the biggest problem with Pel right now is not our record.

mathhog

Quote from: Sharp Shooter on March 10, 2009, 12:08:24 am
I think the biggest problem with Pel right now is not our record.

so what is it?

Newhopehog

Quote from: mathhog on March 10, 2009, 12:10:00 am
so what is it?
that's the problem this board is covered in rumors about the team but no will to stick their neck out tell what is happening...just more innuendo......

CoachHogT

Porkatarian out...

If I'm correct, I think what Pork is trying to say is Mike Anderson is a good coach....................................... and .................that Mike, with Nolan as his Assistant Coach, will be coaching here next year........

sp84hogs

I will throw this out there about Anderson's recruiting, he may not be the best but if he was in fact in charge of recruiting then that means he was the one who signed JJ Sullinger who was highly regarded as well as Andre Iguodala who was a big time blue chip recruit and was released from his LOI when Nolan was fired. Like I said he may have not been the best but certainly was not the worst.
"When we add up all those inches, that's gonna make the ****** difference between winning and losing, between living and dying" - Al Pacino in Any Given Sunday

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over, yet expecting different results.

ruarealhogfan

Quote from: drakehog on March 09, 2009, 11:56:34 pm

Mike HAS been through this same bs before. His first 2 years with Nolan & believe it or not it was alot worse. if those "fans" had it their way, we probably wouldn't be talking about our memories of a basketball national championship...

Sharp Shooter

jkstock04

Quote from: mathhog on March 10, 2009, 12:10:00 am
so what is it?
The Welch incident the other day signified everything that is wrong with this basketball team, and their overall attitudes.  And to top it off, he was then allowed to stay in the game.  I don't know why really, but seeing that was the absolute nail in coffin for me. 
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

The Hogfather

If you guys want a Pearl-type coach at the U of A, I tell you to quit being a "fan" of the U of A right now.  Pearl is the most average/poor coach in the world.  He's a media darling and THAT'S IT.

mathhog

Quote from: sp84hogs on March 10, 2009, 12:16:33 am
I will throw this out there about Anderson's recruiting, he may not be the best but if he was in fact in charge of recruiting then that means he was the one who signed JJ Sullinger who was highly regarded as well as Andre Iguodala who was a big time blue chip recruit and was released from his LOI when Nolan was fired. Like I said he may have not been the best but certainly was not the worst.

he also let texan emeka okafor end up at uconn by not making a simple trip to see him.  ditto ronnie brewer, who'd have been a jayhawk if not for stan.   i dont think he's the WORST recruiter, but i wouldn't put him as a very good recruiter at all.  heck, stan was better at landing recruits than mike is.  and if one of the main gripes on pel is "RECRUITING!" how will hiring a sub-stan recruiter fix things.  exit question: how did jjsullinger do at ohio state?  not bashing, just saying...

HawgAdvocate

I got this mixed up in a post I made a couple months ago..Sullinger was family friend of Nolan's, and Igudola wanted to play for Nolan because he loved the style of play. Sullinger wasn't THAT highly regarded either. He couldn't hit an outside jumper to save his life.

No Nolan = no Sullinger or Igudola

Anderson hasn't been able to recruit very well at Missouri either. His classes at UAB weren't impressive. If not for him bringing the former and would-be Hogs DeMario Eddins and Wenbos Mukubu to UAB, he wouldn't have had the success he had.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

mathhog

March 10, 2009, 12:38:02 am #98 Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 12:41:44 am by mathhog
Quote from: jkstock04 on March 10, 2009, 12:18:18 am
The Welch incident the other day signified everything that is wrong with this basketball team, and their overall attitudes.  And to top it off, he was then allowed to stay in the game.  I don't know why really, but seeing that was the absolute nail in coffin for me. 

how is that different than Darian Townes pouting and walking off to the locker room, only to start the next game under stan in the nonconference of '07? how is that different that the Rashard Sullivan fight, or stan screaming at pookie "hit me! hit me!" in practice?

the point is, there are ALWAYS "chemistry" issues on teams.  it's magnified WAAAAAAAAAY out of proportion because a) we have the internet where anyone can post whatever,  b) we are 2-14 so the issues that roll of players' backs when you're 10-6 fester when you're losing and looking for answers, c) no one really knows anything, but vague posts by supposed 'in the know' folks keep hinting at a shotgun approach, so no matter what asinine rumor is thrown out SOMETHING will be right because they predicted it somehow.

i mean, we've heard:
that ostrum is the problem,
that ostrum is a good recruiter, 
that pel is the problem,
that more rob evans is the answer,
that welsh is the problem,
that henry is the problem,
that fortson is the problem,
that welsh hates rotnei,
that pel hates henry,
that pel hates moore/clark,
that pel has to fire all his staff or get replaced by mike,
that pel has to fire one staff member to keep his job,
that forton hates welsh,
that the freshmen hate welsh,
that the freshmen hate washington,
that the other freshmen hate fortson........

there's a very good post on page 2 earlier in this thread by Hawgadvocate.  He's right.  So many people in the state get their "news" on hog basketball from HERE. From THIS forum.  and somehow, because there's absolutely crazy stuff flying around and folks are looking to explain away 2-14 records, every explanation possible is thrown to the wall.  i don't know all of what's true and what's not, but this whole thing about 'chemistry' IS indeed a problem--- but it's also way overblown. 

i challenge anyone anywhere to post or pm me a single incident that is "worse" than any chemistry issue/incident since the closing of the nolan era.  the fact is, we're losing, and we have the net, so lots of people think "oh my gosh! teams fighting after a loss? how outrageous!"

donewithdale

Quote from: bvillepig on March 09, 2009, 11:44:16 pm

Yes fans complained about in state recruiting.  We complained about missing out on the Quincy Lewises and an entire Parkview lineup that went D1.  We didn't ask for Jason Jennings or Gilbert.  You revise history well.