Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Anderson

Started by Porkatarian, March 09, 2009, 09:07:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgsav1

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 10, 2009, 05:55:05 pm
He's had one winning season in three years. Let's see him do it again without his two seniors.

He's a good coach, but he's not what these fans want. They want anything other than Pel more than they want Mike Anderson.  Mike seems the easiest reach for many at the moment, which isn't really fair. He won't bring in the studs that many on here clamor for.

I'm not really even judging him based on his performance at Mizzou (which has been rather solid this year).  I'm looking at it based on his performance at UAB.  Back when he was at UAB, Conference USA was a pretty solid conference.  From 2002-2006 (Mike's tenure at UAB), Conference USA generally got 4 teams or more into the NCAAs, which is awesome for a mid-major conference.  He had to compete with Memphis, DePaul (which was a good team at the time), Louisville, Cincy, Marquette, Charlotte, Houston, and UTEP.  All of those teams have had recent success and many are dripping with basketball tradition.  If you go back to his recruiting classes at UAB, he had mostly 3* to unranked players (I believe he got 1 or 2 4* players, one being Lawrence Kinnard, but I'm not 100% on that one.  Btw, I'm using Rivals as my source).  While I'm not in the Fire Pelphrey group, I certainly would not mind Mike Anderson coaching at Arkansas, and I was rather upset when he wasn't hired after Nolan's dismissal.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

Coondog Hog

+1

Cosign

Quote from: hawgsav1 on March 10, 2009, 06:09:34 pm
I'm not really even judging him based on his performance at Mizzou (which has been rather solid this year).  I'm looking at it based on his performance at UAB.  Back when he was at UAB, Conference USA was a pretty solid conference.  From 2002-2006 (Mike's tenure at UAB), Conference USA generally got 4 teams or more into the NCAAs, which is awesome for a mid-major conference.  He had to compete with Memphis, DePaul (which was a good team at the time), Louisville, Cincy, Marquette, Charlotte, Houston, and UTEP.  All of those teams have had recent success and many are dripping with basketball tradition.  If you go back to his recruiting classes at UAB, he had mostly 3* to unranked players (I believe he got 1 or 2 4* players, one being Lawrence Kinnard, but I'm not 100% on that one.  Btw, I'm using Rivals as my source).  While I'm not in the Fire Pelphrey group, I certainly would not mind Mike Anderson coaching at Arkansas, and I was rather upset when he wasn't hired after Nolan's dismissal.
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

jamie72921

Quote from: donewithdale on March 10, 2009, 11:14:55 am
What style do you think Pel wants to play once he has close to a full roster?  Think the hack and attack/fastest 40 minutes in basketball could be successful with a half roster?

Top 5 mins per game for Ark players this season:

Top 5 for Mizzou:

4 Hogs played more minutes than anyone on Mizzou

Its nonsense like this where posters just make up crap to fit their agenda that drags down the forum and gets annoying.  Its not because some want a coaching change or that most of us are concerned with the program.

Hack and attack, 2

Duke, choke and puke, 1

That is Nolan 2, Coach K 1 in head to head competition.
Bless your heart

donewithdale

Quote from: jamie72921 on March 10, 2009, 08:06:16 pm
Hack and attack, 2

Duke, choke and puke, 1

That is Nolan 2, Coach K 1 in head to head competition.

And I am very happy its that way especially with one of those Nolan wins.  Can't wait till Duke and Arkansas are in their 4th Final 4 together. 

Oliver

Quote from: donewithdale on March 10, 2009, 08:09:00 pm
And I am very happy its that way especially with one of those Nolan wins.  Can't wait till Duke and Arkansas are in their 4th Final 4 together. 

Could you ever foresee Coach K having a year like we've had under Pel this year?  And I mean such a poor year record wise along with all the off the court problems.  And when I ask this, I mean it could mean year 1 at Duke, year 1 at Army, here at Arkansas in 1983, or him taking over our program last year after having coached only at South Alabama before?

I realize it's all speculation but since Duke is your second favorite team and you have a lot of respect for Coach K, I'm hoping I'll get a somewhat honest answer from you.

donewithdale

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 10, 2009, 08:19:33 pm
Could you ever foresee Coach K having a year like we've had under Pel this year?  And I mean such a poor year record wise along with all the off the court problems.  And when I ask this, I mean it could mean year 1 at Duke, year 1 at Army, here at Arkansas in 1983, or him taking over our program last year after having coached only at South Alabama before?

I realize it's all speculation but since Duke is your second favorite team and you have a lot of respect for Coach K, I'm hoping I'll get a somewhat honest answer from you.

Even in year one, no because Duke recruits a different type of kid than many public universities especially those in the SEC like ours.  So no, I couldn't  foresee them having these issues under Coach K even in the early struggling times of his rebuild.  Couldn't see it at Stanford or Georgetown for that matter either.  When you are able to attract kids with good academics from usually good backgrounds and they are skilled, that is a true luxury.  That is why I have admired and followed the program going back to the early 80s. 

Now put Coach K at a public university like ours where you feel like you don't have time to do a rebuild even though its unavoidable, he might would take chances on players that he thought he had to have but were risks.  I don't think its necessary to recruit risks here and would rather sacrifice a little talent for kids you can count on.  Our problem is we have roster holes and risks. 

WilsonHog

Quote from: donewithdale on March 10, 2009, 08:30:02 pm
Now put Coach K at a public university like ours where you feel like you don't have time to do a rebuild even though its unavoidable, he might would take chances on players that he thought he had to have but were risks. 

You bring up a great point, and I'd like to know what you think about this.

Is it possible that Pel lacked the confidence to "do it the right way," so he short-circuited by going after marginal kids? Coach the confidence a coach has in himself play a role in an issue I believe you have corrcetly pointed out?

Oliver

Quote from: donewithdale on March 10, 2009, 08:30:02 pm
Even in year one, no because Duke recruits a different type of kid than many public universities especially those in the SEC like ours.  So no, I couldn't  foresee them having these issues under Coach K even in the early struggling times of his rebuild.  Couldn't see it at Stanford or Georgetown for that matter either.  When you are able to attract kids with good academics from usually good backgrounds and they are skilled, that is a true luxury.  That is why I have admired and followed the program going back to the early 80s. 

Now put Coach K at a public university like ours where you feel like you don't have time to do a rebuild even though its unavoidable, he might would take chances on players that he thought he had to have but were risks.  I don't think its necessary to recruit risks here and would rather sacrifice a little talent for kids you can count on.  Our problem is we have roster holes and risks. 

Fair enough.  That's where you and I don't see eye to eye.  I don't think Coach K would ever sacrifice character for W's...not that we even got the W's this year.  I think part of the reason Coach K has been a successful coach is that he realizes character is a big part of team chemistry and he always has the respect of his players.  I don't think this would be different if he was coaching Duke, UNLV, Memphis, Arkansas, or UALR under any circumstance.  That's why the "Coach K had a losing record his first 3 years" argument is such a bad comparison of what's going on here now.

donewithdale

March 10, 2009, 08:41:49 pm #158 Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 08:47:01 pm by donewithdale
Quote from: WilsonHog on March 10, 2009, 08:33:12 pm

Is it possible that Pel lacked the confidence to "do it the right way," so he short-circuited by going after marginal kids? Coach the confidence a coach has in himself play a role in an issue I believe you have corrcetly pointed out?

I don't know if lacked the confidence but I definitely think he felt the need to take risks in order to avoid a rebuild.  He knows what the expectations are at a program like ours.  You don't play at UK and not know pressure and expectations.  We might have said we understood that there would be a rebuild necessary after Stan's seniors left last season, but Pel knew what reality would be.  Its blown up on him.  It was a risk and in hindsight a huge mistake that may set his career back. 

I also don't know how attractive we are to recruits right now and how 'easy' or difficult it is to recruit to Ark now.  The state has produced one McD AA in each of the last two decades.  He doesn't have a home base that provides blue chippers.  We no longer are a 'hot' program that has national reach with the elite recruits and have only been at that level for a couple of brief stretches under Nolan and Eddie after each got going with regional/local talent.  Pel may have panicked a little when he saw that our 'name' isn't what it was. 

But again, to sum up I think he tried shortcuts as he felt pressure and had a desire to avoid a rebuild.

donewithdale

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 10, 2009, 08:34:51 pm
Fair enough.  That's where you and I don't see eye to eye.  I don't think Coach K would ever sacrifice character for W's...not that we even got the W's this year.  I think part of the reason Coach K has been a successful coach is that he realizes character is a big part of team chemistry and he always has the respect of his players.  I don't think this would be different if he was coaching Duke, UNLV, Memphis, Arkansas, or UALR under any circumstance.  That's why the "Coach K had a losing record his first 3 years" argument is such a bad comparison of what's going on here now.

Well he has gone away from recruiting the one and done type players which I applaud.  Not that I am questioning those guys' characters.  But team chemistry can't be had plus he knows his university shouldn't be used as a developmental league team for a year for the NBA due to NBA rules.

jamie72921

Quote from: lovetthog1 on March 10, 2009, 05:25:56 pm
Sir you are the one posting crap. I suppose being pompus and assuming you know more about basketball than others gets you through the day. But let me tell you something. Mike Anderson is a better coach than Pel. I have stated a number times in this forum that Nolan and Mike brought more to the table than "attack and hack" as you call. Or fun and run as others call it. If you had an arguement other than insults I would be happy to listen to it. Style is just one positive to firing Pel and hiring Anderson. A quality coach is the other plus. But I guess since I didn't type out an entire book of explanations you couldnt figure it out. Which led to your need to be condescending. I know more about basketball than you havent forgotten sir.

Don't let him get to you.

He is a neophyte basketball fan whose "knowledge" is limited whatever google can come up with when searches for bball, basketball, hoops, Coach K's booty, etc.
Bless your heart

ruarealhogfan

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 10, 2009, 08:34:51 pm

While you might not want to admit it, Arkansas hasn't been recruiting Duke "type" players for over 2 decades now.  Recruits with off-court issues have been on just about every team we have had.   Nolan got us our National Championship, but he didn't do it with Coach K "type" players & to put that on Pelphrey like he started the trend here is a REACH at best!

hawgsav1

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 10, 2009, 08:33:12 pm

That's actually an interesting point.  There will always be questionable characters who have great talent.  Some coaches stay away, others decide it's ok to take the risk.  However, it's like playing with fire.  Fire can be a great tool, but it can also blow up in your face.  I don't know if Pelphrey really recruited 'questionable' kids, but there has been too much drama this year and it seemed that he was unable to handle the product that he put together.

donewithdale

Quote from: hawgsav1 on March 10, 2009, 09:08:33 pm
That's actually an interesting point.  There will always be questionable characters who have great talent.  Some coaches stay away, others decide it's ok to take the risk.  However, it's like playing with fire.  Fire can be a great tool, but it can also blow up in your face.  I don't know if Pelphrey really recruited 'questionable' kids, but there has been too much drama this year and it seemed that he was unable to handle the product that he put together.

Henry had issues and the staff knew it.  I heard it from WM area people I know. 

hawgsav1

Quote from: donewithdale on March 10, 2009, 09:13:17 pm
Henry had issues and the staff knew it.  I heard it from WM area people I know. 

Oh man...the hardest part about recruiting a questionable character is keeping that kid in line.  Petrino has recruited some questionable kids before when he was at Louisville, but was able to keep them in line. It seems as if Pelphrey cannot do the same. 

rzrbackrob

Quote from: Porkatarian on March 09, 2009, 09:07:30 pm
I think Mike is a GREAT coach.

Porkatarian out...

I don't see any exclamation points.
Good is the enemy of great

tolerati

"Show me a quarterback who isn't cocky, and I'll show you a quarterback who isn't worth a damn." - Darrell Royal