Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

VCU v. George Mason for the Colonial Athletic Association Title on the Uno

Started by stchane, March 09, 2009, 06:47:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

stchane

Anthony Grant is VCU's coach and was with Pelphrey at Florida.  Anyone think things would have been different with him instead of Pelphrey?  I don't personally...thoughts?
For all your Razorback Football Needs: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=stchane

bvillepig

We will never know but I wanted Grant two years ago.   

He is in my opinion,  which means abolutly nothing, the next great one.

I was very concerned about South Alabamas barely over .500 in the Sun Belt for the last five years. I am more concerned with the direction I see recruiting going.

bvillepig

A little more info
High School

Grant's teams captured three state titles, five straight national rankings in USA Today and an overall record of 172-11.

2006–2007 Virginia Commonwealth University 28-7 16-2 1st NCAA 2nd Round
2007-2008 Virginia Commonwealth University 24-8 15-3 1st NIT 1st Round
2008-2009 Virginia Commonwealth University 24-9 14-4 1st NCAA
Virginia Commonwealth University: 76-24 45-9 
Total: 76-24

HawgTide

When we struck out on the big names two years ago I wanted Anthony Grant to get the job.I think he will be a very good coach for some top notch program.

stchane

Quote from: NEVERWAS1 on March 09, 2009, 09:09:11 pm
When we struck out on the big names two years ago I wanted Anthony Grant to get the job.I think he will be a very good coach for some top notch program.

Yep....to a program near you (such as Alabama & Georgia)
For all your Razorback Football Needs: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=stchane

GoHogs1091

Regarding Anthony Grant, I haven't been too impressed with Grant's VCU teams.  VCU has won some games while Grant has been Coach, but VCU doesn't play in a very strong Conference.  Coach Pelphrey defeated Grant's VCU team last Season, and VCU lost to Vanderbilt in a game in Cancun, Mexico earlier this Season.  That is 2 SEC teams that I am aware of that Anthony Grant has lost to. 

In other words, since Anthony Grant couldn't beat Coach Pelphrey last Season, and since Grant lost to Vanderbilt earlier this Season on a neutral court, why would we, or Jeff Long, want to have Anthony Grant considered to be the next Hogs Head Basketball Coach?

If Jeff Long is going to be looking for a new Head Basketball Coach in the near future, I hope that Jeremy Cox is strongly considered.  Cox is currently an Assistant over at Kentucky.  Jeremy Cox has 8 years of Collegiate head coaching experience (more collegiate Head Coaching experience than Anthony Grant).  The following information shows that Jeremy Cox can coach:

Jeremy Cox guided UA Fort Smith to the 2006 National Junior College Championship, and Cox was named the NJCAA Coach of the Year.

Jeremy Cox's record during his 3 years as Head Coach at UA Fort Smith was 84-17.

Jeremy Cox was named the 1998 NJCAA Region XIII Coach of the Year.

Jeremy Cox's overall record during 8 years as a Head Coach (at a total of 3 Schools) is 197-62.  Cox averaged 24.625 wins a Season during his 8 years as a Head Coach.

http://www.ukathletics.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/cox_jeremy00.html

I hope that Jeff Long knows about Jeremy Cox, or if Jeff Long doesn't know about Jeremy Cox, than I hope that Jeff Long becomes aware of Jeremy Cox.  The UofA has already in the past hired a Basketball Coach that had won a NJCAA National Championship before coming to the UofA (Nolan Richardson), and the Richardson hire led to a National Championship and many basketball wins for the UofA.

stchane

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 09, 2009, 10:00:08 pm
Regarding Anthony Grant, I haven't been too impressed with Grant's VCU teams.  VCU has won some games while Grant has been Coach, but VCU doesn't play in a very strong Conference.  Coach Pelphrey defeated Grant's VCU team last Season, and VCU lost to Vanderbilt in a game in Cancun, Mexico earlier this Season.  That is 2 SEC teams that I am aware of that Anthony Grant has lost to. 

In other words, since Anthony Grant couldn't beat Coach Pelphrey last Season, and since Grant lost to Vanderbilt earlier this Season on a neutral court, why would we, or Jeff Long, want to have Anthony Grant considered to be the next Hogs Head Basketball Coach?

If Jeff Long is going to be looking for a new Head Basketball Coach in the near future, I hope that Jeremy Cox is strongly considered.  Cox is currently an Assistant over at Kentucky.  Jeremy Cox has 8 years of Collegiate head coaching experience (more collegiate Head Coaching experience than Anthony Grant).  The following information shows that Jeremy Cox can coach:

Jeremy Cox guided UA Fort Smith to the 2006 National Junior College Championship, and Cox was named the NJCAA Coach of the Year.

Jeremy Cox's record during his 3 years as Head Coach at UA Fort Smith was 84-17.

Jeremy Cox was named the 1998 NJCAA Region XIII Coach of the Year.

Jeremy Cox's overall record during 8 years as a Head Coach (at a total of 3 Schools) is 197-62.  Cox averaged 24.625 wins a Season during his 8 years as a Head Coach.

http://www.ukathletics.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/cox_jeremy00.html

I hope that Jeff Long knows about Jeremy Cox, or if Jeff Long doesn't know about Jeremy Cox, than I hope that Jeff Long becomes aware of Jeremy Cox.  The UofA has already in the past hired a Basketball Coach that had won a NJCAA National Championship before coming to the UofA (Nolan Richardson), and the Richardson hire led to a National Championship and many basketball wins for the UofA.

Doc Sadler comes to mind when talking about this guy for some reason.  But the reason to look at Grant over this guy is because Grant is little Nolan.  He has the same style of play which is conducive to the SEC. 

blyhog

I dont think you are comparing apples to apples in the terms
of supposed talent.Anthony Grant would no doubt be a lot
better than Pel. Nolan coundn't beat Sutton when he was at
Tulsa prolly either

passinghog

Like what was heard repeatedly on the radio today, it's going to take a proven recruiter to get Arkansas back to where we belong. Throw out Jeremy Cox and Doc Sadler right now. Neither one have proven they can recruit in the SEC. Unimpressive.

Anthony Grant has at least proven he can recruit championship talent in the SEC. Should only be two names on a potential list:

1a. Anthony Grant
1b. Mike Anderson

hopefully it wouldn't go anywhere farther than that.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: passinghog on March 10, 2009, 08:14:12 pm
Like what was heard repeatedly on the radio today, it's going to take a proven recruiter to get Arkansas back to where we belong. Throw out Jeremy Cox and Doc Sadler right now. Neither one have proven they can recruit in the SEC. Unimpressive.

Anthony Grant has at least proven he can recruit championship talent in the SEC. Should only be two names on a potential list:

1a. Anthony Grant
1b. Mike Anderson

hopefully it wouldn't go anywhere farther than that.

Jeremy Cox can most definitely recruit.  Jeremy Cox recruited Sonny Weems to UA Fort Smith. 

Additionally, regarding Kentucky's incoming Class, it wouldn't be surprising to me if Jeremy Cox has been one of the main (if not the main) recruiter for some (or all) of Kentucky's incoming Class.  Kentucky's incoming Class contains Daniel Orton, a 5 Star Center, and Jon Hood, a 4 Star Shooting Guard.

Jeremy Cox has a proven record as a Head Coach and a recruiter.  Jeremy Cox averaged 24.625 wins a season during his 8 years of head coaching.  Averaging 24.625 wins a Season for 8 years (at a total of 3 Schools) shows that Cox can coach and recruit.  If Jeremy Cox were the Hogs BB Coach, no Hog fan would have to worry about Jeremy Cox being outcoached and outrecruited.