Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I watched the John Pelphrey show last evening

Started by vandybuff, March 09, 2009, 05:16:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

vandybuff

My first time to view.  I must say I felt sorry for your coach .... he looked 'beaten'.

I hope this ends well (no matter how it is resolved)  for the fans, players and coaches.

all the best.
What a wonderful time to rediscover the hobby for a lifetime - a great book!!!

A happy life is doing something "that matters".  So start today!!!!!

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: vandybuff on March 09, 2009, 05:16:53 pm
My first time to view.  I must say I felt sorry for your coach .... he looked 'beaten'.

I hope this ends well (no matter how it is resolved)  for the fans, players and coaches.

all the best.

If he looked beaten, that gave him something in common with his team!

Come on, I should have gotten the drum thing that they love so well on the Tonight Show and stuff.

Boarcephus

wonder if he knows something we don't?
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

HognotinMemphis

I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

rzrbackrob

Good is the enemy of great

Iwastherein1969

all the best.
you know its bad when a VANDY fans take pity on you..the "pity post' from a Vandy fan pretty much says it all
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

3kgthog

You'd look beaten too if you were in charge of this circus. Nearly every lineup, trick, dirty look, and coaching angle he's used has failed miserably. The only one that's worked is when former coaches addressed the team before the game. And I know we sure as heck can't keep Nolan and Eddie on staff permanently just for pep talks.

vandybuff

Quote from: 3kgthog on March 09, 2009, 06:22:42 pm
You'd look beaten too if you were in charge of this circus. Nearly every lineup, trick, dirty look, and coaching angle he's used has failed miserably. The only one that's worked is when former coaches addressed the team before the game. And I know we sure as heck can't keep Nolan and Eddie on staff permanently just for pep talks.
No doubt it is tough for the team --- with a lot of fr and soph players - young men 17 - 19 years of age - adjusting to classes, mid-terms, etc.  they sometimes lose their way. 

thirtythree

all the best.

Did you notice at the beginning how he was so appreciative of the fans and what they mean to Razorback basketball? Some of the same fans that are on here trying to get him fired. He even thanked you for coming to the games.

he didn't look beaten to me. He looked like a coach who know how close they are and how different things could be if he had depth. He eluded to losing Monk in it as well.

He hates losing and he won't quit. He will turn it around.

Baconator

Pel isn't going to resign. The South Alabama crew needs him to be the head coach in order to draw a check.

regi

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on March 09, 2009, 05:58:20 pm
you know its bad when a VANDY fans take pity on you..the "pity post' from a Vandy fan pretty much says it all

It's not football. Vandy has had a solid b-ball program through the years. Vandy fans can comment, no shame in that.

WilsonHog

Quote from: thirtythree on March 09, 2009, 07:43:50 pm
Some of the same fans that are on here trying to get him fired. He even thanked you for coming to the games.

Trying to get him fired?

Do you honestly categorize the discussion on this message board as "trying to get him fired?"

There are some people who have the kind of profile to get Jeff Long's ear if getting Pel fired is what they want. Know what they're doing right now, if that is the case?

Calling Jeff Long. Meeting privately with Jeff Long.

What they aren't doing is posting nonstop on Hogville hoping Long will create an account just any day now.

We really have one function in this whole thing, 33.

We talk.

That's all we do, just like the people standing around the coffee pot do.

vandybuff

March 09, 2009, 09:39:10 pm #14 Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 09:40:43 pm by vandybuff
Quote from: regi on March 09, 2009, 08:31:37 pm

It's not football. Vandy has had a solid b-ball program through the years. Vandy fans can comment, no shame in that.

thanks!  actually women's bb is my favorite sport, but all sports - at all schools - where kids are trying just for the thrill of the win, are fun.
plus one my friend.
You mentioned football --- Is is too early to guarantee a BCS bowl for the ' Dores in ' 10??  Yeah, I will wait -- hehehe!

Marshfieldhog

Dores will get a BCS berth before the dale does.

HogKongPhooey

Quote from: thirtythree on March 09, 2009, 07:43:50 pm
Did you notice at the beginning how he was so appreciative of the fans and what they mean to Razorback basketball? Some of the same fans that are on here trying to get him fired. He even thanked you for coming to the games.

he didn't look beaten to me. He looked like a coach who know how close they are and how different things could be if he had depth. He eluded to losing Monk in it as well.

He hates losing and he won't quit. He will turn it around.
We shouldn't be using Monk as an excuse.  I can't believe we were prepared to rely that much on a guy that was almost 3 years removed from playing basketball.  What were we going to do next year when Monk's eligibility ran out?

thirtythree

Quote from: HogKongPhooey on March 09, 2009, 09:45:21 pm
We shouldn't be using Monk as an excuse.  I can't believe we were prepared to rely that much on a guy that was almost 3 years removed from playing basketball.  What were we going to do next year when Monk's eligibility ran out?

So, are you of the opinion that he didn't contribute? I don't think anyone thought he could, but he did.

thirtythree

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 09, 2009, 09:28:31 pm
Trying to get him fired?

Do you honestly categorize the discussion on this message board as "trying to get him fired?"

There are some people who have the kind of profile to get Jeff Long's ear if getting Pel fired is what they want. Know what they're doing right now, if that is the case?

What they aren't doing is posting nonstop on Hogville hoping Long will create an account just any day now.

We talk.

Do you honestly believe that nobody up there doesn't read this crap? Do you honestly believe that a single person from this board has not sent an e-mail to Jeff Long about firing him? If your answer to any of these questions is no then you need a reality check.

WilsonHog

Quote from: thirtythree on March 09, 2009, 09:50:24 pm
Do you honestly believe that nobody up there doesn't read this crap? Do you honestly believe that a single person from this board has not sent an e-mail to Jeff Long about firing him? If your answer to any of these questions is no then you need a reality check.

Sure, probably someone within the AD/SID offices monitor internet boards. Some poster might even fire off an e-mail.

However, I cannot picture someone running into Long's office with a screen shot yelling, "Boss! Boss! The posters on Hogville want Pel gone! We have to fire him today!"

Jeff Long doesn't have to worry about what I think. Doesn't even need to know my name. Know why? Because I give $500 a year. Think Jeff Long would take my call?

Razorback athletics is the equivalent of a billion dollar corporation. They ain't much concerned with what I or 98% of the people on this board think.   

HogBreath

Quote from: thirtythree on March 09, 2009, 09:50:24 pm
Hey...we're freakin 2-14.  Do you really expect everyone to just sit around and talk about how awesome we'll be next year or maybe the year after that or the following year for sure?  If you want to be patient and wait and defend your man at every turn like Tammy Wynnette...great, I applaud your loyalty.  But you're naive to expect everyone to be like minded.  Personally, I gotta gripe some at least.  And I say that knowing if this year's team had a couple of breaks go different, this could have been a much different & better season.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

thirtythree

Quote from: HogBreath on March 09, 2009, 10:11:52 pm
Hey...we're freakin 2-14.  Do you really expect everyone to just sit around and talk about how awesome we'll be next year or maybe the year after that or the following year for sure?  If you want to be patient and wait and defend your man at every turn like Tammy Wynnette...great, I applaud your loyalty.  But you're naive to expect everyone to be like minded.  Personally, I gotta gripe some at least.  And I say that knowing if this year's team had a couple of breaks go different, this could have been a much different & better season.

I don't expect that at all. I'm mad about how they turned out. I also realize why a lot of it happened and think it's not the end of the world. I am on record that if he has the "same" production next year then it could be time for a change. It is what it is. There is nothing that can be done now. He gets more depth and that will lead to more wins. With more wins means more time. There is no way anyone should be calling for his job.

HogKongPhooey

Quote from: thirtythree on March 09, 2009, 09:47:10 pm
So, are you of the opinion that he didn't contribute? I don't think anyone thought he could, but he did.
He absolutely contributed.  He was a good post player, and showed much needed leadership.  Now, why didn't we recruit a player like that so we didn't put all our eggs in the basket of a football player with a semester of eligibility?

vandybuff

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 09, 2009, 10:05:58 pm
Sure, probably someone within the AD/SID offices monitor internet boards. Some poster might even fire off an e-mail.

However, I cannot picture someone running into Long's office with a screen shot yelling, "Boss! Boss! The posters on Hogville want Pel gone! We have to fire him today!"

Jeff Long doesn't have to worry about what I think. Doesn't even need to know my name. Know why? Because I give $500 a year. Think Jeff Long would take my call?

Razorback athletics is the equivalent of a billion dollar corporation. They ain't much concerned with what I or 98% of the people on this board think.  

do not feel badly --- our if you call for our AD there is not answer either!  :)

I am sure Pelphrey feels terrible and I am equally sure he will attempt to correct the situation.  He may fail and if he fails, he'll lose his job, pretty simple.  If he is protecting idiots as his helpers, he'll sink.  If he can't recruit to Arkansas for any reason, he'll sink.  If he listens to we posters, he'll sink.  Its now off season and time to manage his assets.  Time to reflect and correct.  To bring in assets that work and rid yourself of those that don't.  Time to honestly evaluate yourself to yourself.  BB wise, this may be the most difficult time in young John's life. 

want2be

Quote from: 3kgthog on March 09, 2009, 06:22:42 pm

Yea, our 2 SEC home wins involved Nolan speaking before Bama and he and the 1994 speaking before Georgia.........Is Pel overachieving like he expects the team to do ?

MaxMaloney

He's looked that way for quite a while now.  He's a passionate guy who really wants to win, so I can imagine this season has really been killing him.  I also wouldn't expect him to quit.  Once the season is over and he has some time to recover and reflect, I'm sure he'll be working as hard as ever to get us better for next season

jackflash

A head coach can not do by his self. I am looking to see what coach Pelphrey does with his off season evaluation of his program. Want him to take a good look at his coaches and players. Everyone makes mistakes, is what you do about them. Now I think Pelphrey will make at least one change on his staff. To make changes on the floor he will need more players. Taking away playing time away is hard to do when their is no one to replace him?

The_Iceman

Quote from: rzrbackrob on March 09, 2009, 05:54:16 pm
Don't think that is in his nature.

which is one of the few encouraging things for next year.

311Hog

i agree with you, but you cannot deny the power of public opinion.  If the powers that be, believe the public has lost faith that is a very very bad thing.

So yeah i think alot of this negative and at times unhealthy discussion has a negative impact on Pelphrey's chances.  I m not saying we should be sunshine pumpers, but man i think the anger level is way to high for our situation.

TeedupHigh

We have a Coach.  He had crap his first year, we all thought he signed some good kids for his first class, BUT with recuiting it's still a crap shoot.  If we don't give the guy a chance, just who in the hell do any of you think will come running to take the job?  NOBODY!!! Not one big time coach would come, not one worth a tinkers damn that is.  We could not even keep one who signed on.  Get off Pel or just stfu!

Hawgndaaz

Wilson you always get straight to the point, without sugarcoating the situation.

BUT, I think you aren't giving enough credit to us cheeto-eating dorks posting on hogville in our parents' basement. Anyone that was a fan during the downfall of the Nuttzis knows this board played a significant role in making his actions, both on and off the field, public knowledge.

I am not saying this board was the reason Nutt is gone. Nutt's ego is the reason Nutt is gone. However, without the banners, blackshirts, FOI's, etc., I think JFB and Nutt are still here today. I can't count the number of folks that blamed Hogville on running Nutt out of town just 15 months ago. Now they may not have mentioned this board by name, but this board is the biggest and most read by a longshot. Those same folks are now happier than ever with the new brand of football they are watching, and I gotta say, they owe some of the folks on the board thanks.

Common razorback fans could not get the real scoop about what was going on within the program, due to the media's refusal to report the real news.

OKhogfan1959

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 09, 2009, 09:28:31 pm
Trying to get him fired?

We talk.

That's exactly right Wilson

I don't think there is any hatred for Pel..Most fans are just very disappointed and can't see this team getting a lot better in the near future.

Nothing like the Nutt mafia...NOTHING LIKE THAT MESS..Just doubting he can get it done. No banners and no hatred for Pel..Or Stan Heath when he was fired. Just worried about the future.

vandybuff

Quote from: MaxMaloney on March 10, 2009, 08:22:39 am
He's looked that way for quite a while now.  He's a passionate guy who really wants to win, so I can imagine this season has really been killing him.  I also wouldn't expect him to quit.  Once the season is over and he has some time to recover and reflect, I'm sure he'll be working as hard as ever to get us better for next season
I did not mean to imply that they wheeled him in on a handtruck restrained like Hannibal Lechter, just that he looked a bit overwhelmed.
I am sure he will be fine again very soon!

BallHog1

Quote from: HogKongPhooey on March 09, 2009, 10:25:05 pm
He absolutely contributed.  He was a good post player, and showed much needed leadership.  Now, why didn't we recruit a player like that so we didn't put all our eggs in the basket of a football player with a semester of eligibility?

the thing is, recruiting players to come to you in their fourth or fifth year...well, its tricky. Most people just try to grow those from freshmen. I'd wager there is someone on the team right now that is going to be a team leader, just not this year.