Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I have no inside source at all.

Started by WilsonHog, March 09, 2009, 12:17:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

All I have is common sense and logic.

If Jeff Long is weighing anything right now with regard to Pel's future at UA it will have very little to do with what has happened on the court and a great deal to do with what has happened off of it. 

There is more to running a major college basketball program that what happens once the ball is tipped. That action just happens to be the most visible part of the equation.

3kgthog

Tomhog™

I wouldn't be surprised if Long was putting out feelers for coaches interested in the job.  If he can secure a proven winner, then this might be Pel's last season.  You don't fire a coach after 2 years unless you know you can make an upgrade.

IronHog

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 09, 2009, 12:17:40 pm

All I have is common sense and logic.

If Jeff Long is weighing anything right now with regard to Pel's future at UA it will have very little to do with what has happened on the court and a great deal to do with what has happened off of it. 

There is more to running a major college basketball program that what happens once the ball is tipped. That action just happens to be the most visible part of the equation.

On and off the court is directly related.

It is kind of like a guy who stays up all night drinking and acting a fool then turns it on at work the next day.

He might can pull it off for a while, but it will eventually catch up with you........
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Oliver

Quote from: Tomhog™ on March 09, 2009, 12:24:36 pm
I wouldn't be surprised if Long was putting out feelers for coaches interested in the job.  If he can secure a proven winner, then this might be Pel's last season.  You don't fire a coach after 2 years unless you know you can make an upgrade.

I will cross my fingers for this situation to happen, but I don't see it happening unless the off the court issues have been even worse than the whispers/rumors we've been hearing.

idochog

I'd really be interested even if by PM what the goings on are off the court.  I have heard alot of references but alot of it is reading b/n the lines type stuff.  Someone feel me in please.
I love Jesus!

Hoggy1

Hope you're right
You must be smokin somethin if you think I ain't smokin nothin

WilsonHog

Let me clarify what I mean.

I agree with the proposition that a coach should not be fired after two years based on wins and losses.

However, I do believe it is possible and prudent, given the correct set of circumstances, for an AD to decide that due to off-court issues a coach doesn't have it in him at present time to run a major college program.

The variable obviously becomes what those correct set of circumstances are.       

The_Iceman

Im not happy with whats happened this year, but i kinda want to see Pel with this team next year.

That way he can be 100% responsible for the turn-around or the callapse of this program.

sshawg

I have heard of coaches "losing their team". Don't know if I've ever seen it.  Sunday, as I watched(from TV) the game, I had a feeling Pel had lost this team. I have watched Fort playing out of control but this was different. I got the feeling he didn't care what the coach thought & Pel just allowed him to play out of control.  Not just Fort because I think we need him as well as Rot, but it appeared something was different.  Even Andre wasn't treated with the disdain I'd seen in the earlier season games. One other thing. When they showed Pel, can;t remember what point of the game it was, but there was a look on his face like he didn't have the foggiest what to do.  A confused look. Maybe nothing though.  I was watching from TV

Oliver

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 09, 2009, 12:58:34 pm

I agree with the proposition that a coach should not be fired after two years based on wins and losses.

However, I do believe it is possible and prudent, given the correct set of circumstances, for an AD to decide that due to off-court issues a coach doesn't have it in him at present time to run a major college program.

Do you think these are the reasons RE is headed out at the end of the year?

Styflin

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 09, 2009, 12:58:34 pm

I agree with this 100%!

donewithdale

Quote from: IronHog on March 09, 2009, 12:28:46 pm
On and off the court is directly related.

It is kind of like a guy who stays up all night drinking and acting a fool then turns it on at work the next day.

He might can pull it off for a while, but it will eventually catch up with you........

Nolan's best teams had guys who weren't exactly model students or law abiding character guys.  They won so nobody cared if they smoked weed, partied, had staff members doing their work and majored in Shop Class. 

Off the court may be used as a reason, but as long as we were winning and not blatantly violating NCAA rules, Pel wouldn't lose his job. 

HawgWild

The "party line" on Heath's dismissal was that attendance was down. Indications are that this hasn't improved under Coach Pelphrey and most likely won't for next year. Is this standard going to be applied here?

chiefsfan

Quote from: HawgWild on March 09, 2009, 01:40:52 pm
The "party line" on Heath's dismissal was that attendance was down. Indications are that this hasn't improved under Coach Pelphrey and most likely won't for next year. Is this standard going to be applied here?

You cant really use attendance this year because of how bad the economy is.    expecting a coach to raise basketball attendance in the middle of a recession when the home schedule is crappy at best is unrealistic

You cant use wins and losses because in 2 years here is is 37-26.    not outstanding, but still not firing worthy

You can only go on the off the court issues if any are present, and I dont see any of them not being fixable, and I firmly believe he will be given an opportunity to fix them

Firing a coach 2 years in 9 times out of 10 is a bad business practice.  unless he has either gone out and committed a felony, or put the team in the middle of NCAA sanctions (See Kelvin Sampson)
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

want2be

I have heard we got up to nearly 4 mil with Calipari (who I can't stand).....and if that is true and Pel has shown Long he can't control the team.....then Long should already have a short list in mind...starting with Jamie Dixon at Pitt.

chiefsfan

Quote from: donewithdale on March 09, 2009, 01:25:09 pm
Nolan's best teams had guys who weren't exactly model students or law abiding character guys.  They won so nobody cared if they smoked weed, partied, had staff members doing their work and majored in Shop Class. 

Off the court may be used as a reason, but as long as we were winning and not blatantly violating NCAA rules, Pel wouldn't lose his job. 

bingo.  This is only even an issue because we are not winning
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: HawgWild on March 09, 2009, 01:40:52 pm

It was a combination of things, not just attendance.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

chiefsfan

Quote from: want2be on March 09, 2009, 01:58:49 pm

I have heard we got up to nearly 4 mil with Calipari (who I can't stand).....and if that is true and Pel has shown Long he can't control the team.....then Long should already have a short list in mind...starting with Jamie Dixon at Pitt.

I predict itll take Dixon exactly 3 seconds to say No.   You do realize Pitt is a legit national title contender this year, he wouldnt leave that unless he is crazy

Didnt Jeff Long hire Dave Wandstatt at Pitt?   he has the potential to make the same screwup here

WilsonHog

Quote from: chiefsfan on March 09, 2009, 01:59:20 pm
bingo.  This is only even an issue because we are not winning

That's always the case. I seriously doubt Nolan could have called fans "turds and posters" if his teams were playing .500 basketball.

Think Nelson Catalina would have been fired at A-State if his teams were playing in the NCAA Tournament?   

Oliver

Quote from: chiefsfan on March 09, 2009, 02:01:09 pm
I predict itll take Dixon exactly 3 seconds to say No.   You do realize Pitt is a legit national title contender this year, he wouldnt leave that unless he is crazy

Didnt Jeff Long hire Dave Wandstatt at Pitt?   he has the potential to make the same screwup here

Yeah, he really flubbed it up with the Petrino hire.

I know, save the "we got lucky" rhetoric.  I forgot Petrino was on to bigger and better things before he got lost, we kidnapped him, and forced him to sign with us.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 09, 2009, 03:09:40 pm

I know, save the "we got lucky" rhetoric.  I forgot Petrino was on to bigger and better things before he got lost, we kidnapped him, and forced him to sign with us.

Tommy Bowden, Jim Grobe...and the multiple weeks it took for Long to get his head out of his rear and actually act on the fact that Petrino was interested should tell you that Long isn't known for hitting a bullseye on every throw.

Petrino wanted out of Atlanta, in the midst of his first year, and wanted back in college football.

We had the right opening, in the right conference, at the right time in recruiting season to make it happen. Petrino took a pretty decent pay cut to come here. That should tell you something. He fell into Long's lap out of desperation on Petrino's part. And Long nearly didn't even allow it to happen.

This hiring was the exception, and not the rule. I wouldn't give Long as much credit for this as I would Michael Vick.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

mathhog

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 09, 2009, 03:09:40 pm

yeah, but we DID get extremely lucky.  long had zilch to do with it.

if long had his way it'd be recently fired coach Tommy Bowden or coach Jim Grobe of the razorbacks.... both of who TURNED US DOWN.  not good for the wunderkid ad...

Oliver

Quote from: mathhog on March 09, 2009, 03:18:44 pm
yeah, but we DID get extremely lucky.  long had zilch to do with it.

if long had his way it'd be recently fired coach Tommy Bowden or coach Jim Grobe of the razorbacks.... both of who TURNED US DOWN.  not good for the wunderkid ad...

Jim Grobe would not have been a bad hire.  Will Muschamp wouldn't have been either.  Tommy Bowden would have been a screw up.  That's one bad choice out of 3. 

Petrino was interested in this job from the moment it came open.  Cliff Lee's agent stated so on Wally and Shawn's show (he's friends with Petrino's agent).  He didn't take the job until as late as it was because he couldn't get out of the Atlanta situation. 

So in essence, had Petrino not been at another job, none of the other candidates would have come about.  But let's look at the 4 we actively recruited here...

1.  Petrino
2.  Bowden
3.  Muschamp
4.  Grobe

I would have done a dance had any of them but Bowden been hired to take over this program.  Sure, we're lucky that Bowden was just using us to get a pay raise...but THAT IS WHERE US BEING LUCKY ENDED.

The_Iceman

after the debacle Nutt turned this program into, why can't you people just be happy that Long was able to go get Petrino and stop worrying about the coaches we almost had. sometimes God just blesses you and thats seems like what happened to the hogs football program.

Long is doing great things here and I trust him to lead this program into the future. He will make the right call concerning the bball program and when it is time to move in a different direction (whether 1 or 10 years from now).

HoopS

I love how some people act like Grobe is a scrub.  Yeah.  It's simple to win football at Wake.  Give me a freakin break.

Oliver

Quote from: HoopS on March 09, 2009, 03:33:45 pm
I love how some people act like Grobe is a scrub.  Yeah.  It's simple to win football at Wake.  Give me a freakin break.

Yeah, Wake was a household name before old Grobe got a hold of that program.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 09, 2009, 03:24:24 pm
Jim Grobe would not have been a bad hire.  Will Muschamp wouldn't have been either.  Tommy Bowden would have been a screw up.  That's one bad choice out of 3. 

Petrino was interested in this job from the moment it came open.  Cliff Lee's agent stated so on Wally and Shawn's show (he's friends with Petrino's agent).  He didn't take the job until as late as it was because he couldn't get out of the Atlanta situation. 

So in essence, had Petrino not been at another job, none of the other candidates would have come about.  But let's look at the 4 we actively recruited here...

1.  Petrino
2.  Bowden
3.  Muschamp
4.  Grobe

I would have done a dance had any of them but Bowden been hired to take over this program.  Sure, we're lucky that Bowden was just using us to get a pay raise...but THAT IS WHERE US BEING LUCKY ENDED.

What if Clemson didn't offer the raise? Then what? Bowden was offered first. Then Grobe. Grobe still turned us down, much like we went through two+ years ago when every coach shot us down before we accepted Pel. Grobe turned around a struggling program much like Pel did. The ACC's football teams, as a conference, haven't been as dominant as they used to be. Who says Grobe would have succeeded in the SEC?

Muschamp wasn't a gurantee. He still isn't. Texas' prior DCs Gene Chizak and Greg Robinson haven't panned out so well as D-1 coaches now have they?

And yes, Petrino was interested, but Long didn't act on the initial interest. We kept going to other coaches before finally speaking to Petrino's agent. This was all after Bowden, Grobe, AND Tuberville (and his $7m buyout that we refused to hand over to Auburn, a rival institution) turned us down.

Teddyhawgeddy

Like I said in my other post...Pel was a product of the Broyles-White Feud (see Houston Nutt, Stan Heath, Susie Gardner)  this time it will be a professional with no ego in charge. I agree we can't do this on record or attendence, but if 1/2 of the stuff is going on behins the scenes that is being rumored it is time!

Corkscrew Johnson

I hope that we have the common sense and foresight to have a proven successor signed, sealed, and delivered before we drop the axe on Pelphrey.  After all, that lack of planning is what got us with Pelphrey in the first place.  Not that I think Pelphrey needs to be canned right now, but there is no question we were forced to role the dice with an uproven coach.  And the jury is still out...

Oliver

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on March 09, 2009, 03:39:54 pm
I hope that we have the common sense and foresight to have a proven successor signed, sealed, and delivered before we drop the axe on Pelphrey.  After all, that lack of planning is what got us with Pelphrey in the first place. 

I agree with this 100 percent with this. 

hawgsav1

The real question is, what should be done to make Arkansas basketball succeed?  Obviously, the goal that we should be aiming for is for Arkansas basketball to sustain success at the highest level and for us to reach that level relatively quickly (I assumed an acceptable success level would be to take us consistently to the deeper rounds of the NCAA tournament.  The meaning of 'relatively quickly' is up for debate).

Our success depends really on a few things:
1. Coach Pelphrey's ability to develop talent and put together a team (aka winning)
1a.How much improvement Pelphrey shows with his talent if they are not winning
1b.Getting talent
1c.Off the court issues
2. How long the fans will wait
3. How long someone should be given to turn things around so as to not scare off other coaching candidates.

I'm on the fence with Pelphrey.  I'm not happy with what happened this year, but I'm not sure if firing him this year is the best move for the basketball program.

I saw what Coach Pelphrey did last year.  He took a team that had consistently underachieved and beat an Indiana team that was 25-7 (yeah I know they were reeling from everything that had happened, but nevertheless it was an impressive first season).  If Pelphrey has the talent, he seems like he can get them to perform.

One area that was very alarming was Pelphrey's inability to make his talent improve at their game.  The only player who really improved from the beginning of the season was Rotnei Clarke.  Fortson was wildly up and down, as were Welsh and Henry.  Washington was a consistent double double, so while I applaud his offseason development, he didn't improve during the season.  Sanchez wildly flailed around for about 25 minutes during a game, and Moore and Clark seemingly regressed.  I also wonder how different the season would have been if Monk had stayed.  It would have given us a quality depth frontcourt player with some experience.

I don't want to say anything about the off court issues.  Apart from Moore's DUI and a few other transgressions (which I'm disappointed in), I can't really comment on the Ostrom-Welsh saga or any other fights because I'm not in the know and I don't want to make presumptions about what happened.

I can't say much about Pelphrey's class coming in.  His first class had to scramble for replacements after Payne and McDonald didn't make it.  Our new incoming class seems ok, but I really hope these kids have solid heads on their shoulders and will mesh well with our current team.

From a fan perspective, I see both sides of the scenario.  On one hand, it's been more than a decade since we've enjoyed any tournament success and our fans want to get back to that level.  A friend of mine (who's a UCLA fan) said to me "You guys are the Notre Dame of college basketball.  You had great success back in the day, but you haven't done **** for about 10 years now."  After I punched him in the face, I realized that he was right.  I don't want to be the Notre Dame of college basketball.  I want to see us go back to where we belong. 

On the other hand, we have to give these new coaches some time to get things going.  Considering how far we've fallen, we have a long way to go to get back up. 

As a program, I don't think it matters whether we succeed with Pelphrey or some other coach.  Sure it would be nice to see Nolan or Mike Anderson come back here and lead his beloved Razorbacks to the promised land again (I'd really like that) but I think we'd be happy with any sustained level of success.  People once derided Ben Howland for taking his plodding and slow style of basketball to UCLA, but I think 3 straight Final Fours have shut up all the people who didn't like his style.  However, what do we do with Pelphrey?  I wouldn't be as concerned if our team had shown some improvement over the season, but the regression is very alarming.  Also, if we fire Pelphrey, what message does that send to his replacement?  Who can we get if we fire Pelphrey this year?  But does not firing him send the message that we are ok with mediocrity?  Most likely Pelphrey will get another year, but boy does John Pelphrey have his work cut out for him.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

Corkscrew Johnson

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 09, 2009, 03:24:24 pm

1.  Petrino
2.  Bowden
3.  Muschamp
4.  Grobe

Jim Grobe would have been a very underwhelming hire.  Bowden would have been a nightmare.  Tuberville would have kept us at respectable mediocrity, Muschamp would have been a wildcard, Petrino is a homerun.  I would qualify that as being very lucky. 

hawgsav1

We hired a search firm to give us potential candidates during the basketball coaching change.  I wonder who else they had on that list...
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

want2be

Long knows the fans want an up tempo type of basketball, and Pel would fit that need if he had the depth to play pressure defense. He also has the passion, which is something we all wanted after watching Heath's laid back approach. We wanted someone to instill discipline which he has, but many say that he plays favorites at times.

Now Long has to take all those factors, along with off court issues, attendance,  the trend in recruiting vs. other SEC teams,wins vs. loses and decide what is best for the program.

My question is, if he does decide to the pull the trigger how much are we willing to pay to get a big name ?

Oliver

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on March 09, 2009, 03:43:27 pm
Jim Grobe would have been a very underwhelming hire.  Bowden would have been a nightmare.  Tuberville would have kept us at respectable mediocrity, Muschamp would have been a wildcard, Petrino is a homerun.  I would qualify that as being very lucky. 

We were lucky with the TIMING not the INTEREST.  Had Arthur Blank let Petrino out of his contract earlier, Petrino would have ended our coaching search early on. 

Jim Grobe would not have been an underwhelming hire and it's mind-blowing to me that people think this.  Is he Petrino?  No, but he's a hell of a coach and a step up from Houston Nutt which is what the whole point of the coaching search was.

Bowden would have been a nightmare.  No argument here.  And I have admitted that the Bowden situation is where were lucky.  Tuberville would have been a good hire.  Muschamp would have been as much of a wildcard as anybody else including Petrino.  You can't guarantee success with any coach.  Muschamp was one of the most promising coordinators out there.  I have no doubt Texas will eventually be happy with him as head coach. 

Oliver

March 09, 2009, 03:51:06 pm #36 Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 03:57:54 pm by Oliver Miller
Quote from: hawgsav1 on March 09, 2009, 03:45:25 pm
We hired a search firm to give us potential candidates during the basketball coaching change.  I wonder who else they had on that list...

I doubt they had a list.  White and Broyles were about as organized as Kindergarteners lining up after recess.

Oh nevermind.  You meant the search firm's list. 

That is a good question.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: want2be on March 09, 2009, 03:49:23 pm
My question is, if he does decide to the pull the trigger how much are we willing to pay to get a big name ?

Any coach with a brain should worry more about job security here at Arkansas before how much we'd offer.

We won't have a proven history of patience if we were to fire two coaches in eight seasons.

want2be

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 09, 2009, 03:55:14 pm
Any coach with a brain should worry more about job security here at Arkansas before how much we'd offer.

We won't have a proven history of patience if we were to fire two coaches in eight seasons.

It is amazing how money can motivate a confident coach.

Oliver

Quote from: want2be on March 09, 2009, 03:57:31 pm

That's ridiculous.

Signed,

Nick Saban.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: want2be on March 09, 2009, 03:57:31 pm

You can bet we didn't come cheap to any of the guys who turned us down 2+ years ago. Money wasn't the problem then.

want2be

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 09, 2009, 03:59:40 pm
You can bet we didn't come cheap to any of the guys who turned us down 2+ years ago. Money wasn't the problem then.

Primary reason then was because Frankie was still around

donewithdale

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 09, 2009, 03:49:52 pm
We were lucky with the TIMING not the INTEREST.  Had Arthur Blank let Petrino out of his contract earlier, Petrino would have ended our coaching search early on. 

Jim Grobe would not have been an underwhelming hire and it's mind-blowing to me that people think this.  Is he Petrino?  No, but he's a hell of a coach and a step up from Houston Nutt which is what the whole point of the coaching search was.

Bowden would have been a nightmare.  No argument here.  And I have admitted that the Bowden situation is where were lucky.  Tuberville would have been a good hire.  Muschamp would have been as much of a wildcard as anybody else including Petrino.  You can't guarantee success with any coach.  Muschamp was one of the most promising coordinators out there.  I have no doubt Texas will eventually be happy with him as head coach. 

Texas = easiest coaching job in college football.  Muschamp would have to be awful to win less than 9 a year with the 12 game schedule.  He has also made a name for himself coaching very talented teams at LSU, Auburn and Texas. 

Back to basketball, Broyles actually hired a good coach this last time and one much more qualified and experienced than Pel.  He wasn't prepared for the 'type' of program we have built here vs the private Jesuit college program.  As far as candidates this time, unlike football where we have had a history of hiring name coaches, our basketball program has gone the mid major route.  We've discussed this before.  Our job has some disadvantages to it. 

El Puerco

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 09, 2009, 12:55:40 pm
I will cross my fingers for this situation to happen, but I don't see it happening unless the off the court issues have been even worse than the whispers/rumors we've been hearing.

I'm guessing they're worse.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: want2be on March 09, 2009, 04:02:43 pm

Primary reason then was because Frankie was still around

Doubtful. Frank was known to be on his way out at the time. Perhaps the unknown future AD would be a bigger reason, but any coach worth his salt shouldn't need to worry about who he reports to. If he's good, he's good. If he wins, where's the problem?

But we also just fired Heath for reasons that had nothing to do with his annual improvement on the floor. He kept winning more and more, and we didn't even give him a final year with his own players. Why would any proven, winning coach walk away from his current job to come here if our fanbase, our donors, and our administration were so impatient with prior coaches? And we're already talking about doing the same with Pel in three seasons? The HDN debacle doesn't help either.

We're shooting ourselves in the foot and wishing on a star at the same time.

donewithdale

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on March 09, 2009, 04:10:50 pm
Doubtful. Frank was known to be on his way out at the time. Perhaps the unknown future AD would be a bigger reason, but any coach worth his salt shouldn't need to worry about who he reports to. If he's good, he's good. If he wins, where's the problem?

But we also just fired Heath for reasons that had nothing to do with his annual improvement on the floor. He kept winning more and more, and we didn't even give him a final year with his own players. Why would any proven, winning coach walk away from his current job to come here if our fanbase, our donors, and our administration were so impatient with prior coaches? And we're already talking about doing the same with Pel in three seasons? The HDN debacle doesn't help either.

We're shooting ourselves in the foot and wishing on a star at the same time.

So if we fire Pel, the list of candidates isn't going to start with Calipari and Self.  At best, its going to be someone like Herb Sendek and good luck selling that to a fan base that expects Jim Calhoun or Coach K.  And I'm not sure where the money is coming from unless some donor or donors with money to waste provides it because we already are in need of money for the practice facility in order to catch up to most of the rest of the SEC.  That is just another thing we don't have to show recruits along with success in the lst 10+ years that our competition does. 

tiber

want2be

I truely think Pel has 3 more years, but I am just discussing the "what ifs"
No one really knows what Long's method of operation is regarding all the factors involved with this issue. I think he will take into account losing Beverly, losing McDonald, losing Munk, the youth of the team,and Pels positive discipline more into account than the negatives.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: donewithdale on March 09, 2009, 01:25:09 pm

we have a BINGO !   nailed it, a 10, perfect post.....Jeff Long is ALL ABOUT numbers, bottom lines and BUTTS in SEATS....he see's what is about to cave in on him and the dollars will be going out the Bud Walton windows...Long may use, to borrow an NCAA term, "lack of institutional control" as a reason to let Pelphrey go, but as the guy who calls Obama a snob says, its all about wins and losses
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

mathhog

this is hilarious.  repost, but still pertinent:

the 3-5 years for pel in basketball is a minimum because that's what it takes to get your pieces in place to do your kind of coaching.

*has anyone on this board actually seen game tape of pelphrey when he was at south alabama?
*does anyone have a clue what kind of game he coaches, offense, defense, etc?
*did you know when South Alabama made the NCAA's with like 26 wins in 2006, their defense was basically Man-to-Man defense? 
*And did you know that now, at arkansas, in 2009, we play mostly Zone defense? 
*does anyone ask WHY we are playing zone right now?
*does anyone look at the roster and start counting before they proclaim "we play zone b/c pel is a bad coach"?

These are kind of questions that this board should be asking, not "should we fire him", but "are the pieces coming in 09 and '10 that pel needs". 

And yes, it takes a few years to get those pieces here.  Pel was hired in LATE APRIL 2007.... after a Day-long Altman head coach.  And yet, recruiting wise, he still manages (ostrum actually, imagine that) to land Fortson & Clarke & Henry. 

It takes 3-5 years because sometimes the pieces you count on (AJ walton, the haters' favorite example) don't work out for logical reasons: why would walton come to UA and be BACKUP point guard behind Fortson until AJ's senior year? same with gulley.  Why would James Anderson go anywhere other than OkState, when his coach since age 8 has been practically forcing the Cowboys on James? 

Add in some of those 'other reasons', with poor academics, and you have some time to get things rolling.

Basically, i call bull on ANYONE'S 'inside sources' that say pel is gone this year.  As far as i know, ZERO mods have said he's gone this year, just that off-the-court issues need to be cleaned up.  Obviously.  Why did Dana leave after a day?