Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UF's NC shot distribution

Started by Niels Boar, March 09, 2009, 11:35:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Niels Boar

Since we have been running Donovan's offense this season, the distribution when it's run properly might be relevant.  Their NC team had a remarkably even shot distribution, but it's worth noting how it broke down by position compared to us.

1.  #3 - Brewer (9.6 FGA/gm)     #1 Fortson (12.6)
2.  #1 - Green (8.6 FGA/gm)       #3  Welsh  (11)
3.  #5 - Horford (8 FGA/gm)        #5  Washington (10.6)
4.  #2 - Humphrey (7.5 FGA/gm)   #2 Clarke (9.7)
5   #4 - Noah (7 FGA/gm)            #4 Sanchez (4)

Our distribution among legitimate scorers shows similarities.  It's interesting that Horford shot 60% inside but was only third in FGAs.  Brewer took over 3 treys a game even though he shot only 34% from the arc on the year.  Green had an arc percentage of 40%, Humphrey 45%.  Humphrey was fourth in shots taken.  The #1 and #3 took more shots than the better shooting #5 and #2.  Noah took the least, but he was a threat at the high post who handled the ball well.  We have nobody even approximating that description.  This offense isn't exactly designed to emphasize two players, especially the #2 and #5. It doesn't fit our strengths very well.

The Boar War

Thats interesting.  This whole thing can be settled by getting the right players.  Look at the numbers, out of the starting five our only real options are Washington, Clarke, and Fortson.  Fortson has a discrepancy in his shooting numbers because the team only has to guard Washinton and Clarke.  That leaves Sanchez and Welsh with a token defense.  With those options I would rather Courtney take the shot. 

That also explains why Welsh has so many shots.  He's open.  Fortson tries to move the ball around only to have Welsh (who is the most secure pass) shoot the ball. 

Washington shoots the ball when it can be distributed to him.  It's also clear that no one wants to pass Michael Sanchez the ball.  If I remember correctly Noah was at least able to draw some defenders out so Horford could do his thing down low.  As it stands Sanchez has shown the defenders no reason to follow his out of the post position.

thirtythree

Quote from: Niels Boar on March 09, 2009, 11:35:18 am
Since we have been running Donovan's offense this season, the distribution when it's run properly might be relevant.  Their NC team had a remarkably even shot distribution, but it's worth noting how it broke down by position compared to us.

1.  #3 - Brewer (9.6 FGA/gm)     #1 Fortson (12.6)
2.  #1 - Green (8.6 FGA/gm)       #3  Welsh  (11)
3.  #5 - Horford (8 FGA/gm)        #5  Washington (10.6)
4.  #2 - Humphrey (7.5 FGA/gm)   #2 Clarke (9.7)
5   #4 - Noah (7 FGA/gm)            #4 Sanchez (4)

Our distribution among legitimate scorers shows similarities.  It's interesting that Horford shot 60% inside but was only third in FGAs.  Brewer took over 3 treys a game even though he shot only 34% from the arc on the year.  Green had an arc percentage of 40%, Humphrey 45%.  Humphrey was fourth in shots taken.  The #1 and #3 took more shots than the better shooting #5 and #2.  Noah took the least, but he was a threat at the high post who handled the ball well.  We have nobody even approximating that description.  This offense isn't exactly designed to emphasize two players, especially the #2 and #5. It doesn't fit our strengths very well.

That is interesting. Good post.

Niels Boar

March 09, 2009, 02:26:39 pm #3 Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 02:35:43 pm by Niels Boar
Here is something else that is relevant to a previous post I made concerning Washington's assists, or lack thereof.

Horford - 12.6 minutes/assist
Washington - 33.2 minutes/assist

Now Horford was much more likely to get credit for an assist when he found an open man because of the rate of shot conversion.  Still, that's a huge disparity.    Noah's was even better at 11.2 min/assist.  I bet Noah fed Humphrey a lot from the high post.  This offense really needs a #3 that can score and big men that can pass.

The Boar War

Quote from: Niels Boar on March 09, 2009, 02:26:39 pm
Here is something else that is relevant to a previous post I made concerning Washington's assists, or lack thereof.

Horford - 12.6 minutes/assist
Washington - 33.2 minutes/assist

Now Horford was much more likely to get credit for an assist when he found an open man because of the rate of shot conversion.  Still, that's a huge disparity.    Noah's was even better at 11.2 min/assist.  I bet Noah fed Humphrey a lot from the high post.  This offense really needs a #3 that can score and big men that can pass.

I agree.  If Washington stays, Powell and Farmer pan out at the 4 and 3 (respectively), and Jason Henry can stay healthy and in the right frame of mind, we will have a chance to run the offense we want.  I'm not convinced we've been able to run the offense Donovan runs at Florida.

We will have to spend much of the offseason working on our big men and teaching our back court how to set and run off successful screens.