Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alabama's new coach

Started by mizzouman, March 09, 2009, 08:49:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mizzouman

Just heard that Alabama will throw tons of cash at Tom Izzo.  Apparently it's Izzo or Tubby Smith.  Or at least that's the top 2.  Mike Anderson is on their "B" list.

PorkRyan

I think they will get to their B list very quickly.  I don't see them getting either of those two.

mizzouman

I'd be surprised if Izzo left East Lansing.  He's from Michigan and has tons of family there.  But, money always opens the eyes, but I think Izzou has enough money. 

HawgAdvocate

That Izzo rumor has been out there for a long time. And that only exists because of his friendship to Saban. That'd be one hell of a bromance for Izzo to move for one guy.

It won't be Izzo or Tubby, IMO.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

3kgthog

They need to stick with what they've got. That guy has gotten them to play like Gottfried couldn't. And Izzo? Lmao Please Bama, make that happen. Bore ball comes to Bama.

LRSmitty

Maybe they will come after Pel.....and I'd be happy to let them have him.

We should have kept Mike Anderson.....royally screwed up big time on that deal.  Thanks Frank....you did a lot for the UA, but really blew it in the last few years and tainted the legacy.

Table Rocker

Izzo to bama? Really? Really?

rude1

Izzo no, Tubby a maybe IMO. Izzo has it made where he is, and can stay for as long as he likes after what he has accomplished there. Why would he leave that to go to a program where football is king, and he would only be a footnote? Now Tubby might would be interested in leaving freezing MN for another shot at SEC basketball.

cobra kai

Quote from: 3kgthog on March 09, 2009, 12:29:43 pm
They need to stick with what they've got. That guy has gotten them to play like Gottfried couldn't. And Izzo? Lmao Please Bama, make that happen. Bore ball comes to Bama.

bore ball?  gimme a break - if only the hogs played like Izzo's teams...

Olhickory

Its long been rumored that Arizona was going to go after Izzo hard at the end of the year and that Izzo is very interested in the Zona job.  I don't know if Michigan State is not a top caliber program, if he is unhappy with some of the brass at MSU, or if Jimmy Sexton is his agent so he's hiking his skirt up at every program for a raise.  Between Michigan State, Arizona, and Alabama though, I don't see him going to Tuscaloosa.

Smokehouse

I don't think Tubby is going to want back into the SEC.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Smokehouse on March 09, 2009, 04:56:02 pm
I don't think Tubby is going to want back into the SEC.

Agreed.  Don't think Tubby wants the hassle of SEC BB again.  Can't see Izzo going to Bama.  Could see him going to Zona though.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: mizzouman on March 09, 2009, 08:49:48 am
Just heard that Alabama will throw tons of cash at Tom Izzo.  Apparently it's Izzo or Tubby Smith.  Or at least that's the top 2.  Mike Anderson is on their "B" list.
Alabama has come to have this "delusion of grandeur" problem...they forget just how lucky they were to have gotten Saban...if not for Rich Rod bolting on them at the last minute, Nick Saban would be an afterthought...now they believe they make lightning strike twice in the same spot...memo to Bammer fans, 'take Mike Anderson and praise the good Lord each day you have him'.....it could be much much worse, you could have the former coach from South Alabama and be 2-14 in the SEC with no end in sight
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

ListenHereMister

Anderson, Grant, or Davis in that order.

OKhogfan1959

I sure hope Bama doesn't sign Mike Anderson!! That would be bad for us..

I like Pel but we should have hired Mike..I know with the way Nolan left and all the bad feelings it was not happening. I can't help buy wish he got his chance here..

Izzo and Tubby ain't going to Bama..

hawgsav1

Unless Bama throws more than 2 million at Tubby Smith, he's not leaving Minny.  Keep in mind, he can make up to 3.3 million with incentives at his current job.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

mizzouman

Heard Gottlieb this morning and he said that he talked with a lot of people "in the know" and their main targets, in order, are Tubby Smith, Tim Floyd then Anthony Grant. Izzo is a real long shot.

deshahawg

This could help us gauge where we are for a coaching search if things are as bad with Pel as everyone says on the hill.

hawgsav1

Quote from: mizzouman on March 10, 2009, 04:02:17 pm
Heard Gottlieb this morning and he said that he talked with a lot of people "in the know" and their main targets, in order, are Tubby Smith, Tim Floyd then Anthony Grant. Izzo is a real long shot.

Going after Tom Izzo is like JFB begging Calipari to come here, after which Calipari probably just laughed at him.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: LRSmitty on March 09, 2009, 12:34:40 pm
Maybe they will come after Pel.....and I'd be happy to let them have him.

We should have kept Mike Anderson.....royally screwed up big time on that deal.  Thanks Frank....you did a lot for the UA, but really blew it in the last few years and tainted the legacy.

Don't blame that on Frank or on "us".  The fault that Mike Anderson is not our coach today goes solely to Nolan.  He poisoned the well for Mike at the UA at that time.  If he had acted with class and intelligence at the end of his career here Frank and everyone else would have taken Mike in a heartbeat.  I truly hate this reality everytime we lose or I see Mizzou with a big one.  It is painful to know the truth about it.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

cityhog

They are complete idiots for not going after Mike Anderson, a Birmingham native.

31to6

Quote from: hawgsav1 on March 10, 2009, 01:54:41 pm
Unless Bama throws more than 2 million at Tubby Smith, he's not leaving Minny.  Keep in mind, he can make up to 3.3 million with incentives at his current job.
I don't think Tubby will chase money for a bit.

He took the Minn job to get out of the limelight and go to a place where he can be a hero for simultaneously rebuilding the program *and* keeping it clean.

hawgsav1

Quote from: wdremington on March 12, 2009, 12:57:02 am
I don't think Tubby will chase money for a bit.

He took the Minn job to get out of the limelight and go to a place where he can be a hero for simultaneously rebuilding the program *and* keeping it clean.

Tubby is set at Minny.  I don't see him leaving Minny at all.

31to6

Quote from: hawgsav1 on March 12, 2009, 12:58:28 am
Tubby is set at Minny.  I don't see him leaving Minny at all.
Yah. He's getting paid. He is rebuilding. He's having fun. He's loved. And, frankly, Basketball is, at best, the #3 or #4 sport in the hearts of most Minnesotans so he won't even get bit by heightened expectations if he has a down year.