Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Attitudes of this team

Started by TDHog, March 08, 2009, 03:17:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TDHog

I am typically an eternal optimist, but Welsh's and Fortson's attitudes simply disgust me.  Welsh is worse, I am tired of the stare down's the trips, etc.  But what I am really tired of is the Fortson/Welsh show we have seen so many times in the 2nd half of games.  It is like those two forget how to pass.  Fortson has a tremedous game but we will NEVER win with him alone.  Welsh thinks he has a tremendous game.  Other players are taken out of a game with their selfish play.

Table Rocker

if you were referring to the T i thought the foul was a bit hard but i actually like that fortson stood up for a teammate and showed a little fire for once.

TDHog

Quote from: Table Rocker on March 08, 2009, 03:19:10 pm
if you were referring to the T i thought the foul was a bit hard but i actually like that fortson stood up for a teammate and showed a little fire for once.

The T didn't concern me as much for Fortson as the lack of passing late in the game.  Welsh should have recieved the T.

Table Rocker

Quote from: TDHog on March 08, 2009, 03:20:32 pm
The T didn't concern me as much for Fortson as the lack of passing late in the game.  Welsh should have recieved the T.

i agree.

orgkeith

Welsh was staggering around after getting the crap knock out of him.  I doubt he intentionally tripped the Vandy player and anyone who says he definitely did is full of crap.  The ref's watched the replay and didn't T him up.  The Fortson T was an over reaction by the ref's.  I have seen a lot worse passed over. 

This is coming from someone who thinks Welsh is one of the worse chemistry problems on this team.  As a Jr he should be setting an example for the frosh.  His example stinks.  Put a Robert Sheppard and a Darrell Hawkins on this team for leadership and we would have made the NCAA tourney this year.  No upper class leadership on this team at all.

rude1

Quote from: TDHog on March 08, 2009, 03:20:32 pm
Late in the game? He put it up 27 times, he wasn't passing much during any point in the game. Astonishing that he would put that many attempts up, when it wasn't falling for him.

donewithdale

Quote from: TDHog on March 08, 2009, 03:17:27 pm
I am typically an eternal optimist, but Welsh's and Fortson's attitudes simply disgust me.  Welsh is worse, I am tired of the stare down's the trips, etc.  But what I am really tired of is the Fortson/Welsh show we have seen so many times in the 2nd half of games.  It is like those two forget how to pass.  Fortson has a tremedous game but we will NEVER win with him alone.  Welsh thinks he has a tremendous game.  Other players are taken out of a game with their selfish play.

Who was Fortson supposed to drop it off to with Wash in foul trouble on the bench?  And Welsh is the one of the few on this team with the ability to create his own shot off the dribble which is necessary when we have no post scorer.  I agree their decisions aren't ideal but we have so many shortcomings and holes that singling them out isn't right.  Their effort today and fight should be applauded. 

Arazorbackguy1

The worst thing that can happen for Fortson is hitting a 3 early in the game.  That sets the tempo for how many shots will be put up...  If he hits it, you can guarantee there will be some terrible shots to follow it up.
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

deshahawg

Missed the game what was the Fortson T all about?

Arazorbackguy1

Quote from: deshahawg on March 08, 2009, 04:32:23 pm
Missed the game what was the Fortson T all about?

Chest bumped a vandy player after Welsh intentionally tripped him out of bounds.  I believe Welsh knew what he was doing.
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

athunt

This isnt the first time Welsh had reacted to a foul or maybe a hard foul. Coach Pel has a bunch of boys..not men. I dont think Pel or time is going to change it either.
"It's easy to recruit these combine guys that run around real fast in their underwear.  We're gonna recruit football players"
-Reggie Johnson

donewithdale

Quote from: athunt on March 08, 2009, 05:07:46 pm
This isnt the first time Welsh had reacted to a foul or maybe a hard foul. Coach Pel has a bunch of boys..not men. I dont think Pel or time is going to change it either.

What?  Wouldn't Welsh not standing up for himself more accurately indicate he wasn't a man than standing up for himself after Vandy's guards had been pushing off for numerous possessions, pushed Fortson down going for a rebound on our previous possession and threw a shoulder into him on the foul in which he got upset?  You don't even make sense.  I guess Nolan's players looked like men.  Remember Todd Day's man-like actions lol?  Or Clint going after Georgetown?

Smokehouse

Quote from: donewithdale on March 08, 2009, 04:16:05 pm
Who was Fortson supposed to drop it off to with Wash in foul trouble on the bench?  And Welsh is the one of the few on this team with the ability to create his own shot off the dribble which is necessary when we have no post scorer.  I agree their decisions aren't ideal but we have so many shortcomings and holes that singling them out isn't right.  Their effort today and fight should be applauded. 

Welsh may be able to create his own shot, but he sure misses a lot of them after making it.

And I disagree with those saying Fortson's T was good fire from him or an overreaction by the ref. The Vandy player didn't do anything that bad and Fortson ran in out from way outside the play with that chest bump. Maybe if he had been involved in the foul somehow I could see the reaction, or if the Vandy player had jumped up trying to start a fight, but he didn't and Fortson just flew in there.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

There is no doubt that what Welsh did was intentional.  Most telling was his immediate reaction and that of Coach Pelfrey.  A not very proud moment in a LONG season.

sshawg

Quote from: 79010 on March 08, 2009, 05:21:01 pm
     There is no doubt that what Welsh did was intentional.  Most telling was his immediate reaction and that of Coach Pelfrey.  A not very proud moment in a LONG season.

I've watched the replay a dozen times.  Don't like Welch, but not a doubt in my mind.  Welch was out of control after getting mugged & it WAS not intentional.  Fortson was reacting to the Vandy player that fouled him. If you watch that player after he got up, started walking toward Welch and thats when Fortson ran up to him. If Fort had not intervined, the Vandy player was going for Welch. Some of you need to watch the replay.  That is all 

TDHog

Quote from: sshawg on March 08, 2009, 06:32:14 pm
I've watched the replay a dozen times.  Don't like Welch, but not a doubt in my mind.  Welch was out of control after getting mugged & it WAS not intentional.  Fortson was reacting to the Vandy player that fouled him. If you watch that player after he got up, started walking toward Welch and thats when Fortson ran up to him. If Fort had not intervined, the Vandy player was going for Welch. Some of you need to watch the replay.  That is all 

I have the same replay and have no idea what you are looking at, but Welsh kick his left leg at the VAndy player.  The movement had nothing to do with being out of control.  Anytime this season Welsh gets what he deems a hard foul he reacts, I can't rememeber the game, but the defender went to steal the ball.  A foul was called and Welsh walks right up to the defender and stares him down, I remember thinking it is completely uncalled for.  Welsh is an average player with an above average attitude problem.

UltimateHog

Quote from: cityhog on January 14, 2012, 04:48:21 pm
I'll honestly be shocked if CMA ever goes above .500 in conference play as coach here.

The Realist

Quote from: UltimateHog on March 08, 2009, 06:54:18 pm
Welsh just sucks.

Period.
At least the SEC tourney is coming up.  He usually plays well there.
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

Smokehouse

Quote from: TDHog on March 08, 2009, 06:36:17 pm
I have the same replay and have no idea what you are looking at, but Welsh kick his left leg at the VAndy player.  The movement had nothing to do with being out of control.  Anytime this season Welsh gets what he deems a hard foul he reacts, I can't rememeber the game, but the defender went to steal the ball.  A foul was called and Welsh walks right up to the defender and stares him down, I remember thinking it is completely uncalled for.  Welsh is an average player with an above average attitude problem.

I thought the movement of his leg did look unnatural for just an "out of control" situation, you wouldn't raise your leg that high while trying to catch your balance.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

Boarcephus

I have to think a lot of Fortson's actions are out of frustration.  We do not have a single "go to" player on the squad and he's trying to be it.  Welsh thinks he is but lacks the talent.  Welsh has a hard enough time just dribbling the damn ball.

If Pelphrey can get off his butt and bring in some talent who actually qualify, stay out of this doghouse and on the court, Fortson will put up some numbers in terms of assists that will make the mind wobble.   
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Boarcephus

One more thing, Welsh over reacted to the foul, but he's prone to that sort of action.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

TDHog

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 08, 2009, 07:32:31 pm
I have to think a lot of Fortson's actions are out of frustration.  We do not have a single "go to" player on the squad and he's trying to be it.  Welsh thinks he is but lacks the talent.  Welsh has a hard enough time just dribbling the damn ball.

If Pelphrey can get off his butt and bring in some talent who actually qualify, stay out of this doghouse and on the court, Fortson will put up some numbers in terms of assists that will make the mind wobble.  

Clarke had 17 today and has played very well as of late, Washington and Henry have proven to be able to make plays.  Britt is a good role player.  Fortson is better when the others are involved.   

Boarcephus

Quote from: TDHog on March 08, 2009, 08:30:31 pm
Clarke had 17 today and has played very well as of late, Washington and Henry have proven to be able to make plays.  Britt is a good role player.  Fortson is better when the others are involved.   

Henry is as talented a player as we've had in years.  Question is, can a coach harness and direct his talents?  If Washington, Henry, and Fortson stay, we're just a couple players away from being a pretty salty team.

thirtythree

Quote from: orgkeith on March 08, 2009, 04:11:48 pm
Welsh was staggering around after getting the crap knock out of him.  I doubt he intentionally tripped the Vandy player and anyone who says he definitely did is full of crap.  The ref's watched the replay and didn't T him up.  The Fortson T was an over reaction by the ref's.  I have seen a lot worse passed over. 

This is coming from someone who thinks Welsh is one of the worse chemistry problems on this team.  As a Jr he should be setting an example for the frosh.  His example stinks.  Put a Robert Sheppard and a Darrell Hawkins on this team for leadership and we would have made the NCAA tourney this year.  No upper class leadership on this team at all.

He did mean to trip him. It was obvious. I won't take up for him on that one. He did get fouled pretty hard, but he should have been given a T as well. The other 2 T's were good as well. CF can't go chest bumping people. That is what got it. I like the fire, but that's what he got it for.

hogster23

Quote from: donewithdale on March 08, 2009, 05:11:18 pm
What?  Wouldn't Welsh not standing up for himself more accurately indicate he wasn't a man than standing up for himself after Vandy's guards had been pushing off for numerous possessions, pushed Fortson down going for a rebound on our previous possession and threw a shoulder into him on the foul in which he got upset?  You don't even make sense.  I guess Nolan's players looked like men.  Remember Todd Day's man-like actions lol?  Or Clint going after Georgetown?
There are a lot better ways to act like a man than to trip an opposing player....if that would have been a vandy player tripping one of our players there would have been several "I cant believe how bad the refs are" threads...he did it on purpose there is no doubt in my mind...and fortson was mouthing vandy most the second half. At one point after a play when a time out was called before the T you could see him push one of thier players.....

roundball

Quote from: TDHog on March 08, 2009, 03:17:27 pm

Quote from Lee Trevino playing with a random golfer with a bad attitude mad at the way he was playing, "You aren't good enough to get mad!"

Same with you Welsh!!!

jared72404

Quote from: UltimateHog on March 08, 2009, 06:54:18 pm
Welsh just sucks.

Period.

All post like this that refer to any player currently playing for our razorbacks should be banned. period. I don't care what has happened, they are still razorbacks.

hawgsav1

I have no problem with our players standing up for themselves on the court.  I would have had no problem with Pelphrey knocking Jajuan Smith's teeth out last year.  Problem is, when you play bad, all your swagger makes you look stupid.  Swagger is fine as long as you can back it up.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

blunt_hawg

Quote from: orgkeith on March 08, 2009, 04:11:48 pm

I think that's a little much saying that we would have made the tournament, but I agree that upper class leadership is the main thing missing from this team right now.  Hopefully these freshman will grow into the role and be leaders when they are upperclassmen...

waphill

Quote from: jared72404 on March 09, 2009, 02:33:50 am
All post like this that refer to any player currently playing for our razorbacks should be banned. period. I don't care what has happened, they are still razorbacks.

What if he said he's really, really not good? Would that be better? Wouldn't want to hurt anybody's feelings.

HOG FANATIC

Welsh is a horrible team player.  He is a turnover waiting to happen and he will not pass the ball to Rotnei.  Pelprey should pull players out when they make stupid  decisions and correct them.  Washington to the nba is the biggest joke I've heard.

Holy City Hog

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on March 08, 2009, 04:19:50 pm
The worst thing that can happen for Fortson is hitting a 3 early in the game.  That sets the tempo for how many shots will be put up...  If he hits it, you can guarantee there will be some terrible shots to follow it up.

Agreed. You could see it coming after he hit a few jumpers early. He quit looking for teammates.  A frantic drive into multiple defenders & forced shot is just as bad as a turn-over.

He's got to learn how to set the tone for the team.  I think he went 1-12 in the 2nd half.

BallHog1

Quote from: sshawg on March 08, 2009, 06:32:14 pm

Exactly, the "innocent" Vandy player was yapping and moving toward Welsh long before Fortson did anything. Granted, none involved made themselves look too great in that incident, but to insinuate that the Vandy guy was totally innocent is bs.

mhuff

It looked like some players were padding their scoring totals when they could have passed to an open player instead of having their shots blocked and committing more turnovers. We have to have some forward play or some of ours need to head to other conferences.

Quite often our forwards are playing backwards.  Once we get frontards and backards figured out, we'll be just fine, well, except we need enough decent players to sit people that don't/can't perform and that get tired.  Once a Guy realizes he isn't playing because he fails at basic requirements of team play and controling attitude, he'll likely come around.

Hoggish1

When Welsh gets his hands on the ball, I cringe.  He is a selfish player.  Most of the time his shots are bricks.

I'd like to think there is no alternative for Pel, because Walsh should sit, but who would take his minutes as skimpy as our bench is?

Oh, and Welsh made an unnatural move to try and get the Vandy player to fall.

UltimateHog

Quote from: jared72404 on March 09, 2009, 02:33:50 am

I mean really?

17 posts and you throw that card on the table?

Sigh ::)
Quote from: cityhog on January 14, 2012, 04:48:21 pm
I'll honestly be shocked if CMA ever goes above .500 in conference play as coach here.

tconey1

I think this is the most unlikable team we have ever had on the hill. There is not one player that I pull for. Fort is a shooting guard being forced to play PG.(in his mind anyway.) Welsh is the worst guard that plays alot we have ever had. He would have been a towel washer on the 94 team. My grandmother could block washington's shot-that is after watching him pump fake 47 times. A hand in the face of Clarke is the best defence for him. Other than these downfalls, these guys do nothing to make you like them. Just the opposite in fact. 

hawgsav1

this team is unlikeable because they haven't won anything.  I guarantee you if they were competing for an SEC title we'd like them a lot more.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb