Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Here's why it's unfair to compare CMA to CNR

Started by Kamkaizen, November 30, 2015, 07:40:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Kamkaizen

Nolan Richardson's success can be partly attributed to the fact that he coached during an era of college basketball when a great number of the better players stayed in school for 4 years.  Notice, in the mid 90s when the number of players leaving school early started to rapidly increase, Nolan's teams began to decline.  The formula of recruiting lesser coveted athletes with the intent of developing them into an efficient basketball team simply doesn't work in this day in age.  Imagine how much better this year's team could have been with M. Qualls and B. Portis still on the roster. 

Now, what HAS to happen is CMA must find a way to recruit on a higher level every single season.  Gone are the days when a coach could have a couple of really good recruiting years and coast for a while.  That could mean that some staff changes are needed.  CMA needs to have coaches who can really build relationships and confidence in the minds of young, really talented players and convince them that they can excel at Arkansas and realize their hoop dreams.  Right now, I'm just not sure that those types of guys are on Mike's staff.  Hopefully, CMA has already enacted a plan to achieve a consistent high level of recruiting, which may be why he went after the juco players he just signed.  However, it usually takes juco players some time to adjust.  (Nolan always said it usually takes a juco player at least one year to know what the heck is going on.)  With that being said, I just hope that CMA's plan doesn't stop with just recruiting talented juco players.  I'm a UofA alum and have been a fan my entire life.  It hurts to see the Hogs struggle like they have so much in the recent past.  I hope we can benefit from a change in recruiting philosophy sooner than later.  Go Hogs!

Big Boi

Quote from: Kamkaizen on November 30, 2015, 07:40:56 am
Nolan Richardson's success can be partly attributed to the fact that he coached during an era of college basketball when a great number of the better players stayed in school for 4 years.  Notice, in the mid 90s when the number of players leaving school early started to rapidly increase, Nolan's teams began to decline.  The formula of recruiting lesser coveted athletes with the intent of developing them into an efficient basketball team simply doesn't work in this day in age.  Imagine how much better this year's team could have been with M. Qualls and B. Portis still on the roster. 

Now, what HAS to happen is CMA must find a way to recruit on a higher level every single season.  Gone are the days when a coach could have a couple of really good recruiting years and coast for a while.  That could mean that some staff changes are needed.  CMA needs to have coaches who can really build relationships and confidence in the minds of young, really talented players and convince them that they can excel at Arkansas and realize their hoop dreams.  Right now, I'm just not sure that those types of guys are on Mike's staff.  Hopefully, CMA has already enacted a plan to achieve a consistent high level of recruiting, which may be why he went after the juco players he just signed.  However, it usually takes juco players some time to adjust.  (Nolan always said it usually takes a juco player at least one year to know what the heck is going on.)  With that being said, I just hope that CMA's plan doesn't stop with just recruiting talented juco players.  I'm a UofA alum and have been a fan my entire life.  It hurts to see the Hogs struggle like they have so much in the recent past.  I hope we can benefit from a change in recruiting philosophy sooner than later.  Go Hogs!
Didn't play AAU and many still went to JUCO. Recruiting was changing fast in mid 90s. Shoe wars and handlers sent the best talent to coaches willing to play the game. JUCO isn't what it once was talent wise. Prep schools have really become popular and more programs for ATH in HS to become eligible. I've heard several people say toward CNR last couple years, he was more interested in taking kids with bad home situations then recruiting talent. CMA down fall started when TJ came up short in gaining a commitment from Jarnell Stokes. TJ had supposedly been on him since Junior High and had a great relationship. However in the end Tennessee played the "game" and secured his commitment. CMA needs to upgrade his recruiting practice and recruiters.IMO