Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We are not the Hogs from the 90's

Started by HawgHeadCheese, November 28, 2015, 11:48:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgHeadCheese

As much as we hate to admit it, this is not the Arkansas from the 90's. I follow recruiting closely and Arkansas isn't a attractive name brand for most elite recruits (Basketball & Football). I think the reason Nolan Richardson had success because at his time the #fastest40 was what the spread offense is to college football now, it was innovative. Another plus that gets looked over, he was the first african american head coach at a major university in the south. A lot of the athletes were african americans and they were from the south. Scotty Thurman Ruston, la, Corey Beck Memphis, Clint Mcdaniel Tulsa, Dwight Stewart Miss., Big Nasty Russellville, Ken Biley Pine Bluff just to name a few off my head. Was that a coincidence? I think when you're not a big name university you have to have a great players coach who players relate to. Back in 90's we were very publicized due to Richardson being very vocal, innovative coaching scheme, president Bill Clinton attending games, and we were beating teams people felt we had no business beating. Arkansas had everything going for itself then. With the one in do rules it's catering to big name schools with big time boosters. Think about this, if you were an 18 y/o athlete and knew you would only be in college for a year, would you choose a school because of it's undergraduate program, great fan base , and campus lifestyle? No. Your decision would be made on how much can I benefit from this program in 1 year. We're not a short term attraction. Now as for coach mike anderson I'm not upset with his tenure so far. This off season we witnessed what can happen when you have elite talent and no big name brand. We aren't built to have our best 2 players go to the NBA(PortIs Quails), graduate our other 2 starters(Harris, Madden), lose a potential starter to transfer (Babb), lose a potential starter to off the court issues (Williams), and lose another starter to suspension (Beard). This team is built to bring in above average talent have them in the system until they are jr. or sr. and get the most from them. Heck we all knew it was a chance Portis was going to the NBA last yr,but Qualls was a huge surprise. Now imagine how much better the lineup would look if we kept just one of Ports/qualls returned Williams and had beard the whole year. Anderson was on his way to improving in his 5th year or at least returning back to the tournament. What happened to Arkansas last off season would've been tragic for just about any program besides Kentucky and Duke. Heck even, Kansas and UNC have had down years in the past due to turnover. I know people are frustrated, I am too, but I don't think we should be looking to pull the plug already. If you disagree or feel to add to the subject, feel free. #WPS

hobhog

I'll say. MA said we got tired yesterday. Really?!

I thought that was what we did to other teams with this "system".

Kevin

Quote from: hobhog on November 28, 2015, 12:00:59 pm

Not when you are only going to play 8 guys
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: Surfing8 on November 28, 2015, 11:50:13 am
Paragraphs are the building blocks of papers. Many students define paragraphs in terms of length: a paragraph is a group of at least five sentences, a paragraph is half a page long, etc.
In reality, though, the unity and coherence of ideas among sentences is what constitutes a paragraph.

I wish I could applaud on mobile

Kevin

Right now, we are not the Martin terry, dean tolson hogs
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Biggus Piggus

Did you notice the bench? Thanks.
[CENSORED]!

Danny J

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on November 28, 2015, 11:48:36 am
As much as we hate to admit it, this is not the Arkansas from the 90's. I follow recruiting closely and Arkansas isn't a attractive name brand for most elite recruits (Basketball & Football). I think the reason Nolan Richardson had success because at his time the #fastest40 was what the spread offense is to college football now, it was innovative. Another plus that gets looked over, he was the first african american head coach at a major university in the south. A lot of the athletes were african americans and they were from the south. Scotty Thurman Ruston, la, Corey Beck Memphis, Clint Mcdaniel Tulsa, Dwight Stewart Miss., Big Nasty Russellville, Ken Biley Pine Bluff just to name a few off my head. Was that a coincidence? I think when you're not a big name university you have to have a great players coach who players relate to. Back in 90's we were very publicized due to Richardson being very vocal, innovative coaching scheme, president Bill Clinton attending games, and we were beating teams people felt we had no business beating. Arkansas had everything going for itself then. With the one in do rules it's catering to big name schools with big time boosters. Think about this, if you were an 18 y/o athlete and knew you would only be in college for a year, would you choose a school because of it's undergraduate program, great fan base , and campus lifestyle? No. Your decision would be made on how much can I benefit from this program in 1 year. We're not a short term attraction. Now as for coach mike anderson I'm not upset with his tenure so far. This off season we witnessed what can happen when you have elite talent and no big name brand. We aren't built to have our best 2 players go to the NBA(PortIs Quails), graduate our other 2 starters(Harris, Madden), lose a potential starter to transfer (Babb), lose a potential starter to off the court issues (Williams), and lose another starter to suspension (Beard). This team is built to bring in above average talent have them in the system until they are jr. or sr. and get the most from them. Heck we all knew it was a chance Portis was going to the NBA last yr,but Qualls was a huge surprise. Now imagine how much better the lineup would look if we kept just one of Ports/qualls returned Williams and had beard the whole year. Anderson was on his way to improving in his 5th year or at least returning back to the tournament. What happened to Arkansas last off season would've been tragic for just about any program besides Kentucky and Duke. Heck even, Kansas and UNC have had down years in the past due to turnover. I know people are frustrated, I am too, but I don't think we should be looking to pull the plug already. If you disagree or feel to add to the subject, feel free. #WPS
We were able to recruit, during Nolans tenure, because we had a couple good recruiters AND we were able to more freely at the time have access to recruits and their reps(HS coaches and their parents) whereas now AAU coaches and handlers dominate all the top recruits. Nolan absolutely despised those people and rightfully so. So it wasn't like we were a top notch elite program when Nolan took over thus all the recruits wanted to come here. We worked really hard getting those big time players and didn't have to fool around with the AAU pimps.

hobhog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 28, 2015, 12:36:10 pm
Did you notice the bench? Thanks.

Yes. It's really weak. Due to Recruiting and program issues in year 5.

BrooklynRoss

Quote from: Surfing8 on November 28, 2015, 11:50:13 am
Paragraphs are the building blocks of papers. Many students define paragraphs in terms of length: a paragraph is a group of at least five sentences, a paragraph is half a page long, etc.
In reality, though, the unity and coherence of ideas among sentences is what constitutes a paragraph.

I work with a lot of writers and I always talk to them about paragraphs and cadence. It's easier to read paragraphs that run alternating lengths as much as possible, and never more than a few lines/sentences.

Also, it's totally fine to have a one-line paragraph for emphasis. Example:

"I went through that day just like every day. I gathered my thoughts, put my head down, and studied the case. This case was particularly odd. I was dealing with a murder with no body, no suspect, and no motive. I didn't know where to start.

And then she walked in."

Basically, it's a setup longish paragraph followed by a plot-advancing short knife to the ribs. It helps avoid the reader's fatigue that comes with one long paragraph.

I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

40MINSOFHELL

It's MA fault the players got tired, he failed at recruiting for this season.

opineonswine

PharmacistHog

Handcheck rules changed and hurt our style. The 94 team would stay in foul trouble with the current rules. I like coack MA but he needs to adapt. He gets a pass for a year or two (but IF he really expected Portis to stay I have to question his grasp of reality) but he needs to do something great with these jc players coming in and figure out a way to recruit better players. Needs to figure a way to keep our top instate players without letting them slip away and then blaming it on "handlers" or "$$$$$" or whatever.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.