Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Still believe in Mike

Started by Letsroll1200, November 27, 2015, 02:04:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Overtheroadtruckdriver

Quote from: razorbackchamps94 on November 28, 2015, 11:05:15 am
Were not going be fine , they will lose a lot of games.

This team is gonna win a lot of games.  Just gotta grow up a little.  We'll be fine later in the season and we will give some teams more than they can handle.  That much I guarantee you.

Bowfishinghogfan

if we don't make the dance this year, next season will be coaches last season if we don't make a 2-3 game run in the tourney. 6 years with one dance win and appearance isn't going to cut it. Hide and watch. the boosters are getting restless.

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

maxhog5

What is there in his resume to give us any reason to believe Mike Anderson can get the job done?  He never finished higher than fifth in the Big Twelve and his teams have never so much as challenged for an SEC title or even a division title prior to their elimination.  10 year of mediocrity at power conferences is what it is.  He is not Nolan yet he continue to receive support because of what another coach accomplished twenty years ago.

Kevin

Quote from: maxhog5 on November 28, 2015, 11:53:41 am
What is there in his resume to give us any reason to believe Mike Anderson can get the job done?  He never finished higher than fifth in the Big Twelve and his teams have never so much as challenged for an SEC title or even a division title prior to their elimination.  10 year of mediocrity at power conferences is what it is.  He is not Nolan yet he continue to receive support because of what another coach accomplished twenty years ago.
But, but, but he has an elite eight year
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Illinihog

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on November 27, 2015, 03:23:00 pm
Mike's a good coach. Better than previous 2 that's for sure.

But, until they start recuiting at a consistent level. Crap like this will happen.

Good news is I think next year set up well as Barford is the most explosive Guard we have had since BJ. And Moses and Whitt will have had a full year of experience

How is Mike better than Heath?  Heath Proved he could recruit high end talent.  Olu was a McD AA, Ronnie Brewer wasn't coming here if Mike A was the coach.  Heath had a commitment from Al Jefferson.  Mike is no better than Heath.  Heath took over Nolan's dumpster fire and Mike was his top Assistant, so in theory we let Nolan/Mike start this decline and now Mike get's to continue. 

Losing Monk was the last straw. 

Letsroll1200

Finished second in the SEC last season and played in the Championship game. You have to get to the party before you can dance.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: OTR on November 28, 2015, 11:15:37 am
This team is gonna win a lot of games.  Just gotta grow up a little.  We'll be fine later in the season and we will give some teams more than they can handle.  That much I guarantee you.

Not sure if sarcastic but I agree (without the guarantee). On a side note, how the hell do you keep that karma/smite count even? It was even three months ago. Coincidence? Not likely. Must be a glitch in the matrix. All hell must be about to break loose in this thread. I think I feel an IceMan post coming.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Bowfishinghogfan on November 28, 2015, 11:30:29 am
if we don't make the dance this year, next season will be coaches last season if we don't make a 2-3 game run in the tourney. 6 years with one dance win and appearance isn't going to cut it. Hide and watch. the boosters are getting restless.
Really? You have your finger on the pulse of the boosters? I know a lot of boosters who never read this board. They're not calling for Mike's head. In fact when I step away from this place it's amazing the difference in what's being said about the basketball program and just about anything else that gets kicked around here.

Some of the same people who are tossing grenades at Mike Anderson were doing the same thing to Brandon Allen and Bret Bielema not so long ago.

This board represents about 1% of the fan base. It's amazing how empowered some of you think you are.

For the record fans have a right to any opinion they want. I've got no problem with that. But when they start claiming to speak for mass numbers of people...give me a break.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on November 27, 2015, 02:29:59 pm
This team will gel and be better by the end of the season. Thompson was a huge loss today because he gives you more than Miles. Just keep watching!! MA is going to have these guys believing and playing by Jan.

Count me in.  Win at home, avoid the trap in LR and steal one from Wake,  have a good showing at Dayton and get hot when the rest of the conference is getting cold.  Win at home if we can, steal some road wins late.  Need everyone to play out of their minds in SEC play.  Need a breakout player.

Danny J

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 28, 2015, 01:17:09 pm
Really? You have your finger on the pulse of the boosters? I know a lot of boosters who never read this board. They're not calling for Mike's head. In fact when I step away from this place it's amazing the difference in what's being said about the basketball program and just about anything else that gets kicked around here.

Some of the same people who are tossing grenades at Mike Anderson were doing the same thing to Brandon Allen and Bret Bielema not so long ago.

This board represents about 1% of the fan base. It's amazing how empowered some of you think you are.

For the record fans have a right to any opinion they want. I've got no problem with that. But when they start claiming to speak for mass numbers of people...give me a break.
I agree....HV represents mostly the fanatic fans....craziest of the crazy.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Danny J on November 28, 2015, 01:34:01 pm
I agree....HV represents mostly the fanatic fans....craziest of the crazy.

Yes, the lunatic fringe lives here.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Danny J

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 28, 2015, 01:47:07 pm
Yes, the lunatic fringe lives here.
Yep....and the same goes for most message boards.

hobhog

I can say this. I have been to final 4s, including Charlotte in 94, went to school when we rocked in Barnhill, followed them to Dallas for SWC tourneys dominated by Hog fans, and used to make several games a year to Bud Walton. Even went to a few tapings of Rollin with Nolan show. Never, ever, missed a game on TV or radio.

Now? I just can't get emotionally attached to the program anymore. Last year was nice, but we underachieved and if that's the highlight of MAs career here I can't get behind it. My avid fellow fans I travel with only discuss football and baseball these days. It's sad and only thing that can fix it is lots of wins or fresh blood. A down year this year and a decent team next year means nothing to me.

I think lots of people feel same way, and attendance this year will reflect it. I'm ready for a change if his season nosedives. He will get another year, but it better be lights out.

I have no patience anymore for average program showing declining results.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hobhog on November 28, 2015, 01:51:24 pm
I can say this. I have been to final 4s, including Charlotte in 94, went to school when we rocked in Barnhill, followed them to Dallas for SWC tourneys dominated by Hog fans, and used to make several games a year to Bud Walton. Even went to a few tapings of Rollin with Nolan show. Never, ever, missed a game on TV or radio.

Now? I just can't get emotionally attached to the program anymore. Last year was nice, but we underachieved and if that's the highlight of MAs career here I can't get behind it. My avid fellow fans I travel with only discuss football and baseball these days. It's sad and only thing that can fix it is lots of wins or fresh blood. A down year this year and a decent team next year means nothing to me.

I think lots of people feel same way, and attendance this year will reflect it. I'm ready for a change if his season nosedives. He will get another year, but it better be lights out.

I have no patience anymore for average program showing declining results.

I agree in that I think the masses are speaking with their apathy.  Apathy that we were told wouldn't exist if we made the hire we ended up with no choice but to make.

The "fringe" and 1% comments are reminiscent of the Nutt era.  You can try and dismiss because you don't like the opinion.  In this thread, bowfishing made a bold post that I think most of us read past.  But then it gets used to downplay the opinion of many others.  Those who still bother to care enough about the program to give an opinion. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

razorJAcker

Most frustrating thing watching this team early in the season is I see a lot of individual talent that just isn't gelling.  They look very poorly coached and seem to have a very low basketball IQ.  Perhaps this is because there a bunch of players that are having to step up and be counted upon for the first time in their careers.  It seems like things that could be fixed as the year goes along.  Botching fast breaks, getting lost on defense, running virtually no offense, fighting for rebounds between themselves, etc.  I just don't ever remember a Razorbacks team seeming so "out of whack" at the start of the season like this.

Breems

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 28, 2015, 02:00:39 pm
Apathy that we were told wouldn't exist if we made the hire we ended up with no choice but to make.

LoL. Still running with that, are ya?
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

TomasPistola

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on November 27, 2015, 02:04:39 pm
I had to make this post last season after a tough lost. Mike Anderson has a young team full of players who haven't been asked to lead on this level.

This team is going to be better when Anton Beard returns to the line up. Durham. Kingsley and Bell have to take ownership of the team. We all know this will be a challenging season but this team will get better.

I'm looking forward to a solid season from this team. All sickness is not death.

Do you believe in Santa Claus too?
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: hobhog on November 28, 2015, 01:51:24 pm

What exactly did the football team do this season? They started off in the Top 25 but finished 7-6. However, the basketball team wins 27 last season but there is apathy in the programming.

I'm a fan of every Razorback team regardless of sport but I don't understand the positive energy in football but the despair in basketball. One thing I know is the media in Arkansas does not promote the Razorback basketball program.

We have a solid team coming in and a horrible offseason. As bad as Jacorey could be he is better than Miles. For this team to be good Anthon Bell is going to have to play like he did the first half with scoring support from Dusty and Anton.

Breems

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 28, 2015, 02:23:08 pm
With what?

I always read the ol' "we were force-fed Mike Anderson" gag with a negative connotation indicating he was unworthy of the offer without his Arkansas ties and there were obviously better candidates lining up outside our door that had no chance.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Breems on November 28, 2015, 02:33:35 pm
I always read the ol' "we were force-fed Mike Anderson" gag with a negative connotation indicating he was unworthy of the offer without his Arkansas ties and there were obviously better candidates lining up outside our door that had no chance.

I've never said he was unworthy.  Just the opposite.  His resume and achievements were certainly worthy. 

You inferred that connotation on your own.  But we didn't have a choice but to hire him.  No choice and it was made even more inevitable with his E8 season at Mizzou.  It would have taken a higher level of sustained success by a coach at Arkansas to have prevented it which we know wasn't going to happen with Pelphrey. 

I never considered other candidates as there were no other candidates.  This had to be done. 

Peter Porker

Actually, some of CBB and BA's biggest detractors are the ones defending CMA to the end.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

TeedupHigh

If the HOGS could only recruit the top players in the great state of ARKANSAS that would help alot.  I love the HOGS but they are really hard to watch.  No half court offense at all.  When the best you have shooting the ball and you can't run something to get them a shot then you are not doing a very good job.  Just stop with the we are young crap!  Our problem is we are still living off the Nolan era and folks that just ain't working!  Terrible defense and if the scramble is not working then we have NO offense and we are beat!!!

Overtheroadtruckdriver

POW!!!!  Take that 1% of hog basketball fans!  Right in the mouth with the old one two. 
You can have your own opinion but know it doesn't mean much to 99% of the rest of us, guys like me, Mike Irwin, and the board of trustees. 

We're gonna be fine this year and better next year.  No reason to panic, folks.  It's all gonna be fine.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: TeedupHigh on November 28, 2015, 02:49:37 pm
If the HOGS could only recruit the top players in the great state of ARKANSAS that would help alot.  I love the HOGS but they are really hard to watch.  No half court offense at all.  When the best you have shooting the ball and you can't run something to get them a shot then you are not doing a very good job.  Just stop with the we are young crap!  Our problem is we are still living off the Nolan era and folks that just ain't working!  Terrible defense and if the scramble is not working then we have NO offense and we are beat!!!

Teams look better when you make shots. We couldn't buy a basket the last 6 minutes. I saw so many positives yesterday in the loss. We didn't have Thompson and Dusty struggled on both ends.

I don't think Anton will get us in the NCAA tournament but he will take some of the responsibility away from Durham. If Beard has been working on his game in the offseason he should make a big difference in his play.

MountieDawg

Mike is right, it takes 7 years to build a good basketball program.  People need to lay off MA by year 7 he will have 2 NCAAT wins under his belt and the future will look bright... However after really only 1 decently recruited freshman this year and 1 freshman next year after year 7 with all the transfers and jucos leaving it might me time for another big rebuild.
SEC!

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 28, 2015, 02:00:39 pm
I agree in that I think the masses are speaking with their apathy.  Apathy that we were told wouldn't exist if we made the hire we ended up with no choice but to make.

The "fringe" and 1% comments are reminiscent of the Nutt era.  You can try and dismiss because you don't like the opinion.  In this thread, bowfishing made a bold post that I think most of us read past.  But then it gets used to downplay the opinion of many others. Those who still bother to care enough about the program to give an opinion.
In no way does this compare to the end of the Nutt era. By 2007 his problems went way beyond message boards. Everywhere I went fans were expressing their displeasure. It wasn't wins and losses. It was the politics being played inside the program that amounted to junior high stuff.

When I step away from this place most fans I talk to face to face understand that the basketball program is coming off a 27 win season. They understand Portis and Qualls indicated that they were coming back. They understand that Kapita never made his test score, something they don't blame Anderson for. They also understand that the season is just getting started. What happens now doesn't have to happen in February.

I also totally reject the crack you made at the end of your post. Just because somebody is not in this forum raising hell doesn't mean that they don't care enough to have an opinion.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 28, 2015, 04:08:10 pm
In no way does this compare to the end of the Nutt era. By 2007 his problems went way beyond message boards. Everywhere I went fans were expressing their displeasure. It wasn't wins and losses. It was the politics being played inside the program that amounted to junior high stuff.

When I step away from this place most fans I talk to face to face understand that the basketball program is coming off a 27 win season. They understand Portis and Qualls indicated that they were coming back. They understand that Kapita never made his test score, something they don't blame Anderson for. They also understand that the season is just getting started. What happens now doesn't have to happen in February.

I also totally reject the crack you made at the end of your post. Just because somebody is not in this forum raising hell doesn't mean that they don't care enough to have an opinion.

You are lecturing me on the Nutt era?  LOL  It does compare in many ways.  And I said nothing about the end of the Nutt era.  By the time you woke up many of us had already noticed and tried to point out what was happening.  But you are right in that most of us don't matter(something Barrett and Henry and some others reminded us of nearly daily).

Portis and Qualls were gone and the staff had to plan for it.  Qualls probably should have been gone from the program well before that.  But of course the transgressions weren't reported just like Jacorey's weren't.  It was no surprise he left. 

The staff had to know there could be an issue with Kapita.  Other programs knew it.  It was discussed all last season by other fan bases.  We just chose to ignore it as a possibility. 

Why are you directing this Portis, Qualls and Kapita nonsense to me.  I'm not one that has gone on and on since last offseason about any of those situations. 

My crack? Your last sentence doesn't make sense.  The post of yours to which I replied sounded very much like something Clay Henry would write and I assure you that isn't a compliment.  However, I did resist in stating that earlier.  Others in this thread replied directly to your post yet you chose to reply to me. 

Scott7703

You just listed the majority of issue people have with Anderson and yes the things listed above could have been handled better. Regardless of what was indicated by Portis and qualls we should have been better prepared. Also, whose fault is it exactly when a team is left with there pants down when a kid doesn't make his score? Isn't the the staffs responsibility to be ahead of? Regardless of how many wins we had last season and how much of the season is left most can see exactly where this season is going.

Thankfully Macon and Barford are on the way. That's the only light at the end of the basketball tunnel at this time.

Maddhog

I don't attend basketball games regularly or give much financial support so, generally, I keep my opinions to myself.   However - there is no way to sugarcoat yesterday's loss.  The coaches let that team down and the "involved" and "supportive" fans have a right to complain.   

I like Coach Anderson and I believe he could still be mildly (not wildly) successful if he would be willing to upgrade his staff.   I don't see that happening. 
"He hits from both sides of the plate.  He's amphibious."

Overtheroadtruckdriver

I've always felt like hogville was a haven for the 1% crackpots and extemists.  Now we have some evidence that we are exactly that.

latrops

His resume was fine prior to coming here.  Three straight NCAAT appearances and six trips to the dance in his prior 8 seasons....including an elite 8 run and a sweet 16 run.  That is the resume of someone consistently succeeding at a relatively high level. 

The problem is that he hasn't had the same level of success here as what he had been achieving at Missouri and UAB.  When the CMA era ends, we'd do well to hire a coach with a similar resume to what Anderson had.  We just need for prior success to carryover.

Smithian

Quote from: Scott7703 on November 28, 2015, 04:19:16 pm

Thankfully Macon and Barford are on the way. That's the only light at the end of the basketball tunnel at this time.
If these JUCOs show up next season and can ball, I'm still in on the Mike Anderson wagon. From what I've read and heard it seems like at least a couple of them can really ball and are the best kids available. Our program is simply unable to land elite talent from the high school ranks unless they're born Hog fans like Bobby Portis. But if you can target the good JUCO players and hit on them (Ricardo Ratliffe, Delvon Johnson, Coty Clarke) more often than you whiff (Jemal Farmer, Montrell McDonald), then JUCOs are a good supplement to developmental high school recruits.

If these kids show up and are nothing special, then it is reason for concern. It shows we hit the JUCO panic button and it wasn't a good call.

maxhog5

This year's team has actually performed better than should be expected.  With Beard out, there are only 4 players that should be receiving over 5 minutes a game with some players receiving court time who shouldn't even have a scholarship on a major college program and it is going to get worse this year before it gets better as those 4 wear down and opponents increase focus on them.

intelligence

Quote from: OTR on November 28, 2015, 06:12:19 pm
I've always felt like hogville was a haven for the 1% crackpots and extemists.  Now we have some evidence that we are exactly that.
nailed it

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: maxhog5 on November 28, 2015, 11:56:31 pm
This year's team has actually performed better than should be expected.

Well, I guess this would be true anytime you're willing to set your expectations low enough.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

TomBigBeeHog

Cityhog must be dead or in jail. No way he misses on this chance to bash CMA.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 29, 2015, 10:21:33 am
Cityhog must be dead or in jail. No way he misses on this chance to bash CMA.

Tell the truth: you're just wanting another chance to come to poor ol' Mike's rescue.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

latrops

Quote from: Smithian on November 28, 2015, 08:50:06 pm
If these JUCOs show up next season and can ball, I'm still in on the Mike Anderson wagon. From what I've read and heard it seems like at least a couple of them can really ball and are the best kids available. Our program is simply unable to land elite talent from the high school ranks unless they're born Hog fans like Bobby Portis. But if you can target the good JUCO players and hit on them (Ricardo Ratliffe, Delvon Johnson, Coty Clarke) more often than you whiff (Jemal Farmer, Montrell McDonald), then JUCOs are a good supplement to developmental high school recruits.

If these kids show up and are nothing special, then it is reason for concern. It shows we hit the JUCO panic button and it wasn't a good call.

They are considered among the top JUCO options out there....so it isn't as though we are signing bums to fill out the roster.  You can complain that we are in a position to need multiple JUCO guys to come in and likely start...but at least we are getting the best of that talent pool.  I wouldn't say we are hitting the panic button as much as doing what has to be done given that pretty much everything that could go wrong did once last season ended.

hogman99

November 29, 2015, 11:03:31 am #90 Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 04:05:46 pm by hogman99

Do you think you are not hearing anything from your insiders is because they don't care anymore or we are still in football season?  I think by time conference season starts and we see no improvement and 5,000 fans in BWA (This doesn't count players, coaches, media, arena staff, concession workers, band and ushers) you might hear differently. CMA must make changes to win consistently in the current game. If he doesn't then we will see this trend continue.

Big Boi

Interesting. So the staff was blindsided by there departures?

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: Big Boi on November 29, 2015, 11:30:46 am
Interesting. So the staff was blindsided by there departures?

Mike and Bobby leaving was a surprise but that put us from Elite 8 or better to bubble team, and ultimately them going pro is a positive for the program.  The arrests were a kick in the gut and the reason for our not so good record so far.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on November 29, 2015, 11:39:01 am
Mike and Bobby leaving was a surprise but that put us from Elite 8 or better to bubble team, and ultimately them going pro is a positive for the program.  The arrests were a kick in the gut and the reason for our not so good record so far.

NM

root_hawg

MA will probably retire here.  No way you could ever really fire him, it would be Nolan take 2.

hogsanity

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Big Boi

Quote from: hogsanity on November 29, 2015, 05:11:20 pm
so does Stan Heath
I have always been under the impression that Heath was ran out because Broyles thought he had Billy Clyde Gillispie hired.

Letsroll1200

hogsanity

Quote from: Big Boi on November 29, 2015, 05:28:48 pm
I have always been under the impression that Heath was ran out because Broyles thought he had Billy Clyde Gillispie hired.

Maybe, my point is that lots of coaches that are not that great have caught lightning in a bottle and made a deep ncaat run.

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on November 29, 2015, 07:00:19 pm
Where is Stan Heath coaching today?  I'll wait

I beleive he is an asst at BC or Seton Hall. But you make my point, making the elite 8 has been done by lots of coaches, some that are not all that great.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE