Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FACT.....Razorback BB is dead! Time to Rid all past of Nolan Richarson ERA

Started by Mr. Porkleone, November 27, 2015, 01:49:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Porkleone

We have been irrelevant since 1996. Nolan started the downfall, it got worse with Stan Healt, then we hire Dana Altman who saw first hand the mess he was dealt and bolted while Frank was worried about playing Augusta and then we brought in a stray in John Pelphrey who tried his best and then gave into all the Political "bring home the son" in Mike Anderson whose taking us to 1 NCAA in 5 years. Our crowds are PUTIFUL. Then this loss today when up 15 or so with 6-7 to play is horrible. Mikes has earned over 10 Million since here and we have nothing to prove for it.  Now we have a incoming year of Juco's that's only a quick fix. We're done.

Open the checkbook and bring a winner in here. Once and for all Get rid of all things related to Nolan Richardson. If we don't, we'll never recover. We owe him nothing.

hog golf

Relax- it's not like anyone cares. Oh wait. That's not good either.
I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize

MountieDawg

Maybe Mike Irwin asked the wrong guy to leave town after Malik said NO.
SEC!

Mr. Porkleone

Quote from: MountieDawg on November 27, 2015, 01:56:20 pm
Maybe Mike Irwin asked the wrong guy to leave town after Malik said NO.

Funny how nobody can have normal talk. Just clowns like you making jokes.

Hawg Red

Say they do open up the checkbook. Who comes? Who comes that is better than Mike Anderson?

LRHawg

Rather you like Mike or not, an empty Bud will speak volumes and he'll be gone at the end of next year if we don't finish this year strong and go to the tourney next year.

MountieDawg

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on November 27, 2015, 01:59:24 pm
Funny how nobody can have normal talk. Just clowns like you making jokes.

OK... Do you think MA or MM could help the team more next year?  Maybe you were impressed by MA's coaching today.   You said MA should go and I agreed.
SEC!

Mr. Porkleone

Quote from: MountieDawg on November 27, 2015, 02:04:58 pm
OK... Do you think MA or MM could help the team more next year?  Maybe you were impressed by MA's coaching today.   

Not trying to pick at you ....  I think losing top recruits is bad. But I don't know. Frustrated for being so bad after being elite.  I don't know who better than MA. I think monk was force to KU so his brother could get his foot in door with those kids jumping to NBA and him wanting to sign them

bigredone

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on November 27, 2015, 01:49:26 pm
We have been irrelevant since 1996. Nolan started the downfall, it got worse with Stan Healt, then we hire Dana Altman who saw first hand the mess he was dealt and bolted while Frank was worried about playing Augusta and then we brought in a stray in John Pelphrey who tried his best and then gave into all the Political bring home the son in Mike Anderson whose taking us to 1 NCAA in 5 years. Our crowds are PUTIFUL. Then this loss today when up 15 or so with 6-7 to play is horrible. Mikes earned over 10 Million and have nothing. Now we have a coming year of Juco's that's a quick fix. We're done.

Open the checkbook and bring a winner in here. Once and for all Get rid of all things related to Nolan Richardson. If we don't, we'll never recover. We owe him nothing.

Frank Broyles killed Arkansas basketball.

hobhog

Jeffcphog

Quote from: bigredone on November 27, 2015, 06:39:21 pm

White had more to do with it.  He is the one who murdered it.

fieldturf

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 27, 2015, 02:02:46 pm
Say they do open up the checkbook. Who comes? Who comes that is better than Mike Anderson?

Coach Jimmy Dykes

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Letsroll1200

pigture perfect

There is another Nolan out there somewhere. We need to find him.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Athog

SleepyJ

This is why Arkansas fans are considered the dumbest in the country!!

moses_007

Razorback BB is not dead... it's just in a deep sleep for 2015-16.  We'll be lucky to win 12 games this year.  I believe Mike will right the ship next year.

HogCzar1

Quote from: tncbg on November 27, 2015, 02:24:06 pm
Just accept mediocrity with flashes of good basketball. It's apparent that Arkansas is not a sought after job. We have not attracted any top tier coaches so Mike is probably as good as we can expect. He just needs to keep recruiting and maybe we can make some noise here and there. The 90's are long gone and we are not relevant.

The Arkansas basketball job is an attractive position. Coaches are aware of the history of our program, no matter the recent lack of success. The facilities are there, the pay is there, the conference is there, and the fans are there. They also know that this is a place where a national championship can be won. It has been done before.

I do not buy for one second that this program is incapable of returning to national prominence.

The_Iceman

Quote from: SleepyJ on November 27, 2015, 09:12:06 pm
This is why Arkansas fans are considered the dumbest in the country!!

Are you referring to those who blindly support Mike now because they still believe he is the next Nolan?

LR_Matt

Quote from: HogCzar1 on November 28, 2015, 12:53:05 am
The Arkansas basketball job is an attractive position. Coaches are aware of the history of our program, no matter the recent lack of success. The facilities are there, the pay is there, the conference is there, and the fans are there. They also know that this is a place where a national championship can be won. It has been done before.

I do not buy for one second that this program in incapable of returning to national prominence.

Then why have some really good coaches turned down UA's offer? Calapari (when he was at Memphis) is the one that most recently comes to mind.

3kgthog

Until we're ready to get our feet and hands dirty with AAU handlers, one NCCAT appearance every 4-5 years is all we'll get. Mike isn't a good enough coach to win with one star and some role players like Nolan did.

Razorpigg

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 28, 2015, 08:06:06 am
Are you referring to those who blindly support Mike now because they still believe he is the next Nolan?

No, I think he was referring to those who, after a 27 win season, are calling for a coaches head after 5 games into the next season. 

Overtheroadtruckdriver

I think we are on our second rebuild.  We got the program to respectability in year 4.  Now we are going to have to reload.  Might take three years.  It's all gonna be okay if we're a little patient

PorkRinds

Oh look! Another person who has trouble separating fact from opinion.

latrops

We have been irrelevant since 1996. Nolan started the downfall, it got worse with Stan Healt, then we hire Dana Altman who saw first hand the mess he was dealt and bolted while Frank was worried about playing Augusta and then we brought in a stray in John Pelphrey who tried his best and then gave into all the Political "bring home the son" in Mike Anderson whose taking us to 1 NCAA in 5 years. Our crowds are PUTIFUL. Then this loss today when up 15 or so with 6-7 to play is horrible. Mikes has earned over 10 Million since here and we have nothing to prove for it.  Now we have a incoming year of Juco's that's only a quick fix. We're done.

Anderson was a winner before he got here.  The bigger problem is that there are several dozen more programs/ads willing to pay big for a proven winner than there are winners to go around.  Past success also doesn't guarantee anything in the present and future. 

MountieDawg

Quote from: latrops on November 28, 2015, 04:36:14 pm
Anderson was a winner before he got here.  The bigger problem is that there are several dozen more programs/ads willing to pay big for a proven winner than there are winners to go around.  Past success also doesn't guarantee anything in the present and future. 

14 years as a head coach and 1 Elite 8 and 1 Sweet 16...   DEFINE SUCCESSFUL?
SEC!

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

westside_player

Quote from: latrops on November 28, 2015, 04:36:14 pm

Well said. +1.

Mr. Porkleone, it makes no sense at this point to "open the checkbook and bring in a proven winner". #1. There's not that many of them out there unless you are talking about going after a much lower tier coach. #2.  Throwing Mike Anderson type money (or more) at anyone is just going to be a bad investment most likely.  We might as well stick it out with Mike the next couple years and see how next season looks.  I don't think we're going to get a better resume coach although I'm sure there's tons of high school coaches that could actually coach the technical aspects of the game better

ICEman

"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

Mr. Porkleone

Quote from: westside_player on November 28, 2015, 04:55:27 pm
Well said. +1.

Mr. Porkleone, it makes no sense at this point to "open the checkbook and bring in a proven winner". #1. There's not that many of them out there unless you are talking about going after a much lower tier coach. #2.  Throwing Mike Anderson type money (or more) at anyone is just going to be a bad investment most likely.  We might as well stick it out with Mike the next couple years and see how next season looks.  I don't think we're going to get a better resume coach although I'm sure there's tons of high school coaches that could actually coach the technical aspects of the game better

Westside, good point. I just tired of being mediocre.

Medic821

TomBigBeeHog

I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

DeltaBoy

IT has been tough to watch for sure. We stunk since I got married 20 years ago.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hollywood_HOGan45

We cut ties from Nolan back in 2002. That worked out very well.   ::)

OinkinOregon

TomBigBeeHog

I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

upperdeck_hawg

The world has caught up to pressure basketball. Kids grow up playing against the press. They know how to beat it. The good teams that press do it with discipline. They don't gamble and give up layups. They don't commit silly fouls 50 feet from the basket. This was one of the two advantages that Nolan had that MA will never have here. The other advantage was that in his best years here, Nolan was one of the two big name black coaches. He didn't have a lot of problems recruiting here because of that. That novelty also wore off as more and more black coaches started to get jobs following the success that Nolan and John Thompson had.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: bigredone on November 27, 2015, 06:39:21 pm
By hiring Eddie Sutton? By hiring Nolan? By renovating Barnhill? By spearheading the construction of Walton? By recognizing, years ahead of most southern "state school" ADs, that basketball was the next big thing?

Before he became AD, Hog bball was awful. If you pull out your press guide, look closely a the results in the years immediately prior to Eddie's arrival in '74 (JFB became AD in '74). 

(PS. If any folks think JFB caused Nolan to depart, they obviously were not listening to Nolan's post-game show on February 27, 2002. This was not the "pay me my money" rant; this was two days later. He was ready to go. The subsequent resign/fire/retire discussion went badly, and the rest is history.)

hoghappy

Quote from: ICEman on November 29, 2015, 07:04:36 am
Double up on MA's pay and see if he will recruit/work twice as hard.
or become more lazy. Make his 2.2 more incentive driven and see haw that works. I like Mike, but what he's given is not worth the money.

BRHogfan

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on December 09, 2015, 10:31:37 am
By hiring Eddie Sutton? By hiring Nolan? By renovating Barnhill? By spearheading the construction of Walton? By recognizing, years ahead of most southern "state school" ADs, that basketball was the next big thing?

Before he became AD, Hog bball was awful. If you pull out your press guide, look closely a the results in the years immediately prior to Eddie's arrival in '74 (JFB became AD in '74).

By not being able to get along with a Hall of Fame Coach.

SC-RAZOR

Yep

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 30, 2015, 02:43:26 pm
IT has been tough to watch for sure. We stunk since I got married 20 years ago.

I think we found our problem, better start sleeping on the couch!   ;)

JayBell

I wouldn't call it dead, but it sucks to still be this middling after all of the investment by the athletic department, boosters and fans.

Even when Heath and Pelphrey were terrible, their jobs didn't really come under fire until attendance slid and people stopped caring.  Anderson is going to struggle to drive interest this year as the team also struggles to make the NIT.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: BRHogfan on December 09, 2015, 10:53:37 am
By not being able to get along with a Hall of Fame Coach.

NR could not get along with his HOF AD, so there's that..................

IIRC, NRs sworn testimony, in federal court, was that he hardly ever saw JFB in those last years. Which supports the prevailing wisdom, among fans at that time, that BWA was Nolan's kingdom, and nobody messed with him there.

But, again, JFB hired NR, before anyone else at a major school did.

DeltaBoy

FACT the snobbery that many NWA Hog Fans have about having ALL the Football Games on the Hill They Fail to show up for Basketball.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

azhog10

Quote from: 3kgthog on November 28, 2015, 12:12:17 pm
Until we're ready to get our feet and hands dirty with AAU handlers, one NCCAT appearance every 4-5 years is all we'll get. Mike isn't a good enough coach to win with one star and some role players like Nolan did.
To be fair, Nolan didn't win with one star and some role players. Second it's a completely different landscape than it was back then and I don't care how good of a coach you are, you won't consistently compete for National Championships unless you get your hands dirty with AAU handlers. It's a sad state, but until they get rid of the one and done and let kids go straight to the pros it will continue.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on December 09, 2015, 03:06:07 pm

But, again, JFB hired NR, before anyone else at a major school did.

That was after he ran off Eddie Sutton, correct?

SleepyJ

Iamjacksleftnutt

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 09, 2015, 03:10:18 pm
FACT the snobbery that many NWA Hog Fans have about having ALL the Football Games on the Hill They Fail to show up for Basketball.

This. If more fans showed up for the games and attendance was like it was during the Nolan years then guys like Allen and Monk would be Hogs. Our fans are a bigger problem than our coaches. If you don't like the basketball situation then buy a ticket go to a game and support your team.