Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

21-1 run by Stanford is inexcusable

Started by Lanny, November 27, 2015, 01:44:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: TheOtherColombia on November 27, 2015, 02:53:06 pm
Sure it is a conundrum...either Anderson CAN coach and your program is just complete crap OR Anderson cannot coach and Missouri was a better program with better players that made him look good.  I suppose the third option is he ran out of family/family friends...that one might make the most sense and be the most truthful.

Cause those are the only things that have gone wrong. Idiots are gonna idiot.
This is my non-signature signature.

Danny J

Quote from: BBsTheMan on November 27, 2015, 06:31:53 pm
I'm excited to have him back and he will help, but not what some are hoping for, to say the least. If he was the same quality of a player at 6'10 240, he'd help a helluva lot.
No doubt...we need another decent big man down low to go with Kingsley. We are in a bad way and I am not sure we can get to even 17 wins with or without Thompson even when Beard comes back.

Jeffcphog

Anybody figure out what the University is paying Coach Anderson for each NCAA Tourney win since he has been here?

TomBigBeeHog

Everyone knew this team had challenges before the season started. This is a down year but looking for improvements to build on for next year.

Stallings just had three years of not making the tourney and two of those years they didn't have a winning season and people on this board think he is doing a great job at Vandy. We should bounce back next year. If not, time to reevaluate.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 27, 2015, 06:45:27 pm
Everyone knew this team had challenges before the season started. This is a down year but looking for improvements to build on for next year.

Stallings just had three years of not making the tourney and two of those years they didn't have a winning season and people on this board think he is doing a great job at Vandy. We should bounce back next year. If not, time to reevaluate.

Keep in mind Heath only lasted 5 years including making the tournament in years 4 and 5. Why does Anderson get leeway?

Anderson one pro player drafted in Portis

Heath got Brewer, Beverly and Weems drafted

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 27, 2015, 06:45:27 pm

Yeah, no doubt. Stallings' car would be on fire by now if he had similar coaching results here as he's having at Vandy as of late.

Posters knew it would be a rough year and were semi accepting of that, but watching it play out has changed that, i suppose.

We're an average or below average team with lots of help on the way. Is that good enough in year 5? I'm not sure.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Captain Morgan on November 27, 2015, 06:51:04 pm
Keep in mind Heath only lasted 5 years including making the tournament in years 4 and 5. Why does Anderson get leeway?

Anderson one pro player drafted in Portis

Heath got Brewer, Beverly and Weems drafted
I don't have the stats, so maybe I'm wrong. But I think attendance was plummeting under Heath due to his "boring" style of play.

Plus, and this is a big factor, Heath followed Nolan. MA followed Pel. No matter one's feelings on MA, they can't deny that fact. It would be like the difference in following Spurrier at Florida and following Zook.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: BBsTheMan on November 27, 2015, 06:56:54 pm
I don't have the stats, so maybe I'm wrong. But I think attendance was plummeting under Heath due to his "boring" style of play.

Plus, and this is a big factor, Heath followed Nolan. MA followed Pel. No matter one's feelings on MA, they can't deny that fact. It would be like the difference in following Spurrier at Florida and following Zook.

It wasn't under Heath.  Avg 16,720 in his last season.  Only two sellouts but still a strong per game avg.  One of the arguments for Anderson and against Heath was the style of play, which was stupid, and that hiring Anderson would result in larger crowds which wasn't a reality given what college basketball was becoming. 

I don't have an issue with Heath being fired.  Was never qualified for the job and struggled recruiting guards.  But attendance was a crap excuse to do it and Anderson hasn't changed anything even though that was one of his campaigners promises. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Kevin

Just plan bad basketball played by a badly constructed roster
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

spahoopsfan

Quote from: Kevin on November 27, 2015, 07:18:27 pm
Truth is we only have 4 players on the entire roster that can put the ball in the basket. Bell, Hannahs, Whitt, and Kingsley. The rest are non factors on offense and when you only have one or two on the floor at a time we are too easy to defend.
The roster is on Anderson and the way we play is on Anderson.  You have Watkins and Durham driving but seldom kicking it back in order to give our best shooters a open shot, instead they too often loose the ball or miss the shot off the drive.

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: BBsTheMan on November 27, 2015, 06:10:23 pm
How have you guys been doing since he left? Not sure how in the world a Mizzou fan could talk any kind of trash right now. We won a tourney game and due to a fatal mix of bad planning and bad luck, are falling victim to a slippery slope.

Mizzou is just a complete dumpster fire....in both major sports.

Basketball meh, same sort of situation you guys are in.  One hire that left us in a lurch and another that was puzzling from jump.  Like you guys we made a nostalgia hire, he will be gone at the end of the year I predict because the program is bigger than whoever is coaching.  Our down years in football have you guys dancing in the streets and giving coaches big raises, you guys haven't done darn in football other than make Bret rich as hell for being middle of the pack.  Seems to be a thing at AR, big money results be darned!

The_Iceman

Quote from: Kevin on November 27, 2015, 07:18:27 pm

Perfectly Said.

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on November 27, 2015, 06:36:06 pm
Cause those are the only things that have gone wrong. Idiots are gonna idiot.

What has gone wrong that the coach shouldn't have been on top of or at the very least aware of, other than Beard getting popped for fake money? 

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Jeffcphog on November 27, 2015, 06:43:47 pm
Anybody figure out what the University is paying Coach Anderson for each NCAA Tourney win since he has been here?

Less than Bert

bigred223

Quote from: TheOtherColombia on November 27, 2015, 02:53:06 pm
Sure it is a conundrum...either Anderson CAN coach and your program is just complete crap OR Anderson cannot coach and Missouri was a better program with better players that made him look good.  I suppose the third option is he ran out of family/family friends...that one might make the most sense and be the most truthful.

Yeah you guys have really been killing it...

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 27, 2015, 07:06:06 pm
It wasn't under Heath.  Avg 16,720 in his last season.  Only two sellouts but still a strong per game avg.

I agree with everything else in your post, but the 16k+ attendance average wasn't truly representative of actual attendance. That number included season tickets, additional staff, players, band, concessions, etc. as a base, along with a number of students based on a nightly estimated guess. Back then they didn't use scanners. They still tore tickets and simply tossed them. Actual attendance was far less.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Breems

We heard the same stuff after every single loss last season. For a 27-win team.

We're gonna suck this year. We are not talented. If and when Mike recruits players like Qualls and Portis, we will win. Way too much emphasis is put on the head coach all around. He wasn't even half the reason we won 27 games last year.

Unless you have someone totally clueless and incapable of controlling their team like John Pelphrey, it always comes down to recruiting. Mike has already established he can turn talent into success multiple times.

Just like last year, if next year's class provides actual Division 1 talent, Mike's half-time adjustments/zone schemes/offensive flow/timeout plays/trapping schemes will suddenly look much better.

2016 looks like a good start to getting back on track. Recruit to win.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Jonteviosk

Quote from: alohawg on November 27, 2015, 01:49:23 pm
Sure is and it. will. not. get. better. until. he. leaves.

HES NOT GOING ANYWHERE SO GET OVER IT!!!!!
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

Danny J

Quote from: Breems on November 27, 2015, 09:59:54 pm

We're gonna suck this year. We are not talented. If and when Mike recruits players like Qualls and Portis, we will win. Way too much emphasis is put on the head coach all around. He wasn't even half the reason we won 27 games last year.

Unless you have someone totally clueless and incapable of controlling their team like John Pelphrey, it always comes down to recruiting. Mike has already established he can turn talent into success multiple times.

Just like last year, if next year's class provides actual Division 1 talent, Mike's half-time adjustments/zone schemes/offensive flow/timeout plays/trapping schemes will suddenly look much better.

Hard to argue any of that. Need better players. I like the class next year so far....need to finish it off strong. CMA needs to recruit like he is fighting for his job

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Breems on November 27, 2015, 09:59:54 pm

I would agree.

I think last year's team did well to go 27-9 with one NBA player and another freak athlete. The roster as a whole, though, was not super-duper great. But Mike got about all he could from that team.

Mike's problem is he's solid but not dynamic and can't recruit that well. People were falling over themselves bragging about getting Whitt and Kapita saying 'told you so' then Kapita never even makes to campus and the two stars leave early, making MA look clueless holding the bag. So, lesson learned and apply some of that to next year's 'stars' too. I don't care what their stats are, 1)they're jucos who will need to adjust some 2) they haven't played a minute of major college ball yet 3) how do we know all of them will even make it to campus? (see: Kapita). No guarantees.

Deeznutts

Who cares anymore. Really. Dead program. 40 minutes of darn.

Hog Pharm

Quote from: TheOtherColombia on November 27, 2015, 07:58:25 pm
Basketball meh, same sort of situation you guys are in.  One hire that left us in a lurch and another that was puzzling from jump.  Like you guys we made a nostalgia hire, he will be gone at the end of the year I predict because the program is bigger than whoever is coaching.  Our down years in football have you guys dancing in the streets and giving coaches big raises, you guys haven't done darn in football other than make Bret rich as hell for being middle of the pack.  Seems to be a thing at AR, big money results be darned!

Come join the west and then talk about what your down years look like.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Deeznutts on November 27, 2015, 11:24:49 pm
Who cares anymore. Really. Dead program. 40 minutes of darn.
Lol this is getting past the point of absurd. Very good results like going 27-9 gets ignored while losing November games gets blown out of proportion to the point of calling our program "dead."

Our program isn't a dumpster fire, or dead, or anything along those lines. MA isn't a bad coach, either.

This is an average or below average team that is unbalanced due to poor planning and some bad luck.
Do we just have the most weak minded football/basketball fans or are most teams having to deal with reactions like this also?

MA isn't elite, especially his recruiting. And yes, he gets too stubborn with the press when it's only hurting us. But yikes, step away from the ledge.

Breems

Quote from: BBsTheMan on November 27, 2015, 11:57:29 pm
Do we just have the most weak minded football/basketball fans or are most teams having to deal with reactions like this also?

They're everywhere, but we probably rank in the elite. The flip-flopping here can be historic. They should do studies on it.

hobhog

How do you lose a lead like that? I have not read one person defending MA that has answered the OP....

Losses like that can demoralize a team and fanbase. He better start coaching his rear off or it could get ugly.

MountieDawg

MA is very lucky Portis grew up a big hog fan and always wanted to be hog.
SEC!

Athog

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 27, 2015, 01:46:29 pm
An embarrassment to our program and to the legacy of Nolan Richardson.

So was Bear Bryant and Frank Broyles. Our program is not respected except in our mind today.

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: Hog Pharm on November 27, 2015, 11:46:18 pm
Come join the west and then talk about what your down years look like.

I honestly wish they would have put us in the west from the get go.  But like everyone else who frequents message boards I didn't get a vote.  Other than Alabama and pre implosion LSU, there really isn't anyone else in the west that we couldn't beat regularly I don't think. 

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: TheOtherColombia on November 28, 2015, 10:19:00 am
I honestly wish they would have put us in the west from the get go.  But like everyone else who frequents message boards I didn't get a vote.  Other than Alabama and pre implosion LSU, there really isn't anyone else in the west that we couldn't beat regularly I don't think.
LOL

Breems

I, unlike everyone else here, was smart enough to know what we were getting with Mike.

I'd now like to display my intelligence and incredible foresight by explaining it to the brainwashed masses here. We will have NCAAT seasons and non-NCAAT seasons during Mike's tenure.

hobhog

Quote from: Breems on November 28, 2015, 10:47:13 am
I, unlike everyone else here, was smart enough to know what we were getting with Mike.

I'd now like to display my intelligence and incredible foresight by explaining it to the brainwashed masses here. We will have NCAAT seasons and non-NCAAT seasons during Mike's tenure.

Are you oKay with that? I'm not. Good coaches can build programs that go dancing every year. Why would we settle for less?

Kevin

Quote from: Breems on November 28, 2015, 10:47:13 am

Actually the norm for Anderson is 21-24 wins and a ncaa tournament appearance.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

Kevin

Quote from: hobhog on November 28, 2015, 11:57:57 am
Are you oKay with that? I'm not. Good coaches can build programs that go dancing every year. Why would we settle for less?

Yes they are, because mike is their guy

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: hobhog on November 28, 2015, 11:57:57 am

Is Kevin Stallings a bad coach?
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

hobhog

Kevin

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 28, 2015, 12:09:37 pm
Is Kevin Stallings a bad coach?

The is Arkansas. Who cares about vandy.  Like somebody posted yesterday about creighton. Who cares. I know it makes you feel good to find other programs that have been in this situation.

How about we get to the point to compare ourselves to duke.  Oh, we cannot do that, we cannot reach that level. Bull, and if we can't stop spending the money on the program

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Kevin on November 28, 2015, 12:23:37 pm
The is Arkansas. Who cares about vandy.  Like somebody posted yesterday about creighton. Who cares. I know it makes you feel good to find other programs that have been in this situation.

How about we get to the point to compare ourselves to duke.  Oh, we cannot do that, we cannot reach that level. Bull, and if we can't stop spending the money on the program

So you want Arkansas to be Duke? That's the bar and if we can't attain it, why bother?

Kevin

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 28, 2015, 01:18:35 pm
So you want Arkansas to be Duke? That's the bar and if we can't attain it, why bother?

That no different than comparing us to teams that have down years, to justify this year

TomBigBeeHog

ATTENTION ALL ARKANSAS RAZORBACK BASKETBALL FANS:

Yes, we beat Duke to win our only national title dang near 25 years ago but we were never going to BE Duke and never will. In this life or the next. We Hogs live a hard knock life that only Orphan Annie can fully appreciate. We just need a Daddy Warbucks (or a World Wide Wes) to make everything better. That way, we get to pick and choose. That's the only way we can compete with the Duke's and KY's of the world. Plug and Play.

Other than that, we are going to have to do it CMA's way which is to be selective and then develop, which takes a little time. Having an unexpected/expected mass exodus of players this past season put us behind the 8 ball for this year but the ship should be righted next year.

No way we lose on a 21-1 run by Stanford to close out the game if Beard were available and Jacorey weren't kicked off the team. Plus, Babb decided to transfer prior to knowing Qualls was leaving. He might have stayed. Just a perfect storm of developments that have led to the unbalanced roster that caused us to lose that game. Still, this team has some good pieces to hook up with what we have coming. Just got to grit our teeth and get through what should have been another NCAA tournament season for us, if not for an unfortunate chain of events.

hobhog

We were better than Duke, Tarheels and Kansas 25 years ago. Why not now? Happens all over the country with right coach.

Atlhogfan1

Beard and Jacorey combined for 9.5 ppg last season.  The way Beard is discussed on here is we are missing an All Amer PG.  He helped make a difference for about a month last season during the weakest part of our weakest in conference schedule.  Then he appeared to have hit the wall so many freshmen do.  We lost to a team yesterday playing without their would be PG as well.  A team that had lost 3 in a row by an avg of more than 15 per game. 

We lost because we couldn't score down the stretch.  Couldn't get to the FT line.  Durham pounded the ball deep into the shot clock.  Whitt disappeared except for an ill conceived play out of a timeout that Stanford blocked easily.  Whitt should be used on the ball more to create for others.  Hannahs couldn't hit a shot from anywhere and Miles looked liked Harris in that he would shoot from anywhere anytime and with backboard breaking touch.  Bell couldn't keep himself on the court because he hasn't learned how to play the way the game is being called this season.  19 minutes.  Still, he was in the game in the last 5 and couldn't score.  When things are going great and we are frontrunning and bullying an opponent with our defense, Bell looks like a Curry hitting shots.  Durham did a little spin after a great assist in the second half.  All was well when we were winning big and they were playing with confidence.  Stanford starts pulling close and they all melted. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Kevin on November 28, 2015, 12:23:37 pm

It's truly amazing how different you see things when you do/do not like the head coach. And the more amazing part, you don't even realize it. A similar result as yesterday for BB and you're seeing how it was expected and we have to deal with ups and downs, etc. I know you aren't capable of admitting it, but it truly amazes me.

Something tells me you aren't holding him to Bama standards, yet you hold MA to Duke standards. Amazing

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: BBsTheMan on November 28, 2015, 04:48:53 pm
It's truly amazing how different you see things when you do/do not like the head coach. And the more amazing part, you don't even realize it. A similar result as yesterday for BB and you're seeing how it was expected and we have to deal with ups and downs, etc. I know you aren't capable of admitting it, but it truly amazes me.

Something tells me you aren't holding him to Bama standards, yet you hold MA to Duke standards. Amazing

What if a Hog fan wanted to hold him to a Lon Kruger standard?  Too high since Kruger has actually made a F4 as a head coach and coached in the NBA?

Started the same season at a program in our region more focused on football and had a losing record first season.  Since then, 3 NCAAT's, Sw 16 last season and his current team is ranked #6/7. 

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 28, 2015, 04:56:44 pm
What if a Hog fan wanted to hold him to a Lon Kruger standard?  Too high since Kruger has actually made a F4 as a head coach and coached in the NBA?

Started the same season at a program in our region more focused on football and had a losing record first season.  Since then, 3 NCAAT's, Sw 16 last season and his current team is ranked #6/7.
I have no issue with that and I can admit MA isn't elite. If Pel is a 2/10 in coaching and Coach K is a 10/10, I put MA around a 6. Should I hold him to a standard higher than that? I'm honestly not sure and I don't blame anyone who does.

I was more pointing out the absurdity of defending BB to no end and having moderate standards and that same person thinking MA should have us on Duke's level by now. OU isn't on Duke's level either, btw.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: BBsTheMan on November 28, 2015, 05:00:56 pm
I have no issue with that and I can admit MA isn't elite. If Pel is a 2/10 in coaching and Coach K is a 10/10, I put MA around a 6. Should I hold him to a standard higher than that? I'm honestly not sure and I don't blame anyone who does.

I was more pointing out the absurdity of defending BB to no end and having moderate standards and that same person thinking MA should have us on Duke's level by now. OU isn't on Duke's level either, btw.

I know.  I agree.  No comparison to Duke.  Different situation of course.  No need to even mention a program like that in our discussion. 

HawgnCorona

Quote from: spahoopsfan on November 27, 2015, 07:47:46 pm
Truth is we only have 4 players on the entire roster that can put the ball in the basket. Bell, Hannahs, Whitt, and Kingsley. The rest are non factors on offense and when you only have one or two on the floor at a time we are too easy to defend.
The roster is on Anderson and the way we play is on Anderson.  You have Watkins and Durham driving but seldom kicking it back in order to give our best shooters a open shot, instead they too often loose the ball or miss the shot off the drive.

Bump
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 28, 2015, 02:12:05 pm
Beard and Jacorey combined for 9.5 ppg last season.  The way Beard is discussed on here is we are missing an All Amer PG.  He helped make a difference for about a month last season during the weakest part of our weakest in conference schedule.  Then he appeared to have hit the wall so many freshmen do.  We lost to a team yesterday playing without their would be PG as well.  A team that had lost 3 in a row by an avg of more than 15 per game. 

We lost because we couldn't score down the stretch.  Couldn't get to the FT line.  Durham pounded the ball deep into the shot clock.  Whitt disappeared except for an ill conceived play out of a timeout that Stanford blocked easily.  Whitt should be used on the ball more to create for others.  Hannahs couldn't hit a shot from anywhere and Miles looked liked Harris in that he would shoot from anywhere anytime and with backboard breaking touch.  Bell couldn't keep himself on the court because he hasn't learned how to play the way the game is being called this season.  19 minutes.  Still, he was in the game in the last 5 and couldn't score.  When things are going great and we are frontrunning and bullying an opponent with our defense, Bell looks like a Curry hitting shots.  Durham did a little spin after a great assist in the second half.  All was well when we were winning big and they were playing with confidence.  Stanford starts pulling close and they all melted. 

lost because they can not play offense against a zone.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: hogsanity on November 28, 2015, 06:26:03 pm
lost because they can not play offense against a zone.
We played well against zones last year. I guess MA forgot how to coach against them during the off season.

hogsanity

Quote from: BBsTheMan on November 28, 2015, 06:36:31 pm
We played well against zones last year. I guess MA forgot how to coach against them during the off season.

BP and Qualls would make a lot of coaches look good. That game yesterday was like 5 or 6 games last year that they held on to win because of BP and Qualls.

They have had umpteen games like yesterday since MA took the job. Come out hot, opponent goes zone, Hogs go to sleep.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: hobhog on November 28, 2015, 01:59:32 pm
We were better than Duke, Tarheels and Kansas 25 years ago. Why not now? Happens all over the country with right coach.

One and dones, coupled with free recruiting aid from big media, e.g. Duke Vitale have given us a broken, putrefying carcass of what college b-ball once was.

Never will it be as good a product.

Never will a sustainable non-glitz program be attainable.

You can't take the time to develop freak athletes.  They go pro.  Most of the time, skilled, but less athletic teams lose to the UNC's, etc.  Quandry.

A lot of this mess is on college ball in general, not just Mike.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?