Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CrApathy

Started by Arazorbackguy1, November 27, 2015, 09:20:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Morgan

November 29, 2015, 10:46:25 pm #50 Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 10:57:44 pm by Captain Morgan
Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 29, 2015, 09:08:05 pm
Of the 14 SEC football teams, there is only one elite program this year. Bama.

SEC is worse than the BIG 10, Big 12, PAC 12 and the ACC on the gridiron this year.

I totally disagree.

Tennessee might be the best 4 loss team in college football with losses of 5 points or less vs Alabama, Florida, Oklahoma and Arkansas.

Now let's go to the rest of the SEC, especially the SEC West where every team has a winning record except Auburn.

Alabama 11-1
Ole Miss 9-3
LSU 8-3
Miss State 8-4
Texas A&M 8-4
Arkansas 7-5

Now we go to the East That consists of 3 teams with 8 wins or more.

Florida 10-2
Georgia 9-3
Tennessee 8-4

The only conference in football that is close to SEC parity is the Pac 12 because only Oregon State and Colorado can classify as bad Power 5 schools. The Big 12, B1G 10 And ACC have more power 5 trash at the bottom.

I disagree totally, SEC is the best conference in football still.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Captain Morgan on November 29, 2015, 10:46:25 pm
I totally disagree.

Tennessee might be the best 4 loss team in college football with losses of 5 points or less vs Alabama, Florida, Oklahoma and Arkansas.

Now let's go to the rest of the SEC, especially the SEC West where every team has a winning record.

Alabama 11-1
Ole Miss 9-3
LSU 8-3
Miss State 8-4
Texas A&M 8-4

Florida 10-2
Georgia 9-3
Tennessee 8-4

The only conference in football that is close to SEC parity is the Pac 12 because only Oregon State and Colorado can classify as bad Power 5 schools. The Big 12, B1G 10 And ACC have more power 5 trash at tohe bottom.

It's still not close to anyone with half a brain that doesn't have his head up MA's rear end.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

hoglady

If MA doesn't work out - we need to find a program builder, a coach with a vision and the energy to do it.
(A second Eddie Sutton if you will). We are no longer an extension of what we once were and haven't been for a long time.
We are a program that needs rebuilt. Hopefully, MA had the energy and desire to see it through.
He has cleaned up this program in the classroom, we had a great year last year and hopefully this year is just a one year blip on the radar.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: hoglady on November 30, 2015, 07:50:38 am
If MA doesn't work out - we need to find a program builder, a coach with a vision and the energy to do it.
(A second Eddie Sutton if you will). We are no longer an extension of what we once were and haven't been for a long time.
We are a program that needs rebuilt. Hopefully, MA had the energy and desire to see it through.
He has cleaned up this program in the classroom, we had a great year last year and hopefully this year is just a one year blip on the radar.

Agreed. Hopefully this year is an aberration and the ship is righted. Don't want to go through another guy coming in and needing to get his guys before we get on track. That's the frustrating part as a fan, you see the program struggling to stay on solid footing and you don't want to pull the trigger too soon and start back at zero with someone else who may or may not have success.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 29, 2015, 10:48:26 pm
It's still not close to anyone with half a brain that doesn't have his head up MA's rear end.

Big daddy, I know this is a college basketball forum but what exactly does SEC football and how strong it is have to do with Michael Anderson and his disapointing 5 years at the University of Arkansas? 

This is the argument I'm trying to figure out from TomBeeHog. 10 bowl eligible teams in football would be like 10 teams making the NCAA tournament for the SEC (which would never happen)

westside_player

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on November 27, 2015, 09:20:09 am
Yesterday was the first time I can ever remember completely forgetting an Arkansas Razorbacks Basketball game was on.  Sure, I was busy with Thanksgiving, but I just don't miss Razorbacks Bball or Fball events. 

I got the update on my phone after it was over. I actually felt relieved that I didn't watch it after seeing we lost.

I'm getting back on track this morning, but it made me think of just how bad this program has gotten... That or my memory.   

#coolstorybro

I started forgetting we were playing back around 2006

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Captain Morgan on November 30, 2015, 08:43:23 am
Big daddy, I know this is a college basketball forum but what exactly does SEC football and how strong it is have to do with Michael Anderson and his disapointing 5 years at the University of Arkansas? 

This is the argument I'm trying to figure out from TomBeeHog. 10 bowl eligible teams in football would be like 10 teams making the NCAA tournament for the SEC (which would never happen)

Captain Morgan = TheRazorbackGuy

Ok, now it all makes sense. You got banned and resurfaced under a new handle. Nice. See you still haven't stopped drinking while posting so I guess the misery continues. You and bigdaddyhog make a nice pair. Not surprised to see you two team up.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Captain Morgan

I have no idea what your talking about. I have been a hogville lurker since houston nutt days. I registered around thanksgiving wishing everyone a good and safe holiday. I wish you the same. But non the less here's my take.

Big daddy and I believe the SEC is the top football conference and you don't. Thats fine. I've pointed out in other posts the reasons are parity. You have your opinion and I have mine.

That being said, I believe 8-4 Tennessee would beat #1 Clemson. That's how strong I think SEC in football is.

Finally, this is a basketball forum. I don't get why your getting so defensive about the SEC being good in football.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: Captain Morgan on November 30, 2015, 09:19:09 am
I have no idea what your talking about. I have been a hogville lurker since houston nutt days. I registered around thanksgiving wishing everyone a good and safe holiday. I wish you the same. But non the less here's my take.

Big daddy and I believe the SEC is the top football conference and you don't. Thats fine. I've pointed out in other posts the reasons are parity. You have your opinion and I have mine.

That being said, I believe 8-4 Tennessee would beat #1 Clemson. That's how strong I think SEC in football is.

Finally, this is a basketball forum. I don't quite understand why your getting so defensive about the SEC being good in football.

TomBigBeeHog

Finally, this is a basketball forum. I don't get why your getting so defensive about the SEC being good in football.

This sounds like the lead in to a hot and steamy sex scene in a gay Harlequin romance story.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 30, 2015, 09:27:59 am
This sounds like the lead in to a hot and steamy sex scene in a gay Harlequin romance story.

TomBigBeeHog

Captain Morgan

To give an educated comment to this quote would just be a waste of time. I get the assumption someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

bigdaddyhawg

Freaking USC, one of the worst teams in our league, gave Clemson all they wanted.

But I doubt 'OL Tom really believes that bull he's spouting.  He believes by putting our football program down he somehow elevates Mike Anderson.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 30, 2015, 11:07:19 am
Freaking USC, one of the worst teams in our league, gave Clemson all they wanted.

rivalry game. happens all the time.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 30, 2015, 11:08:11 am

Or maybe Clemson just isn't that good.

I wouldn't be shocked if they lose to UNC this weekend. And that's a team South Carolina defeated.

hog.goblin

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 30, 2015, 11:08:11 am

and USCe beat the other team in the ACC championship game

Arazorbackguy1

Let's be real, this season is a HUGE setback.  You can spin however you want, but even with Beard and Williams, we would suck Rocky Mountain oysters.
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

hog.goblin

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on November 30, 2015, 08:32:56 pm
Let's be real, this season is a HUGE setback.  You can spin however you want, but even with Beard and Williams, we would suck Rocky Mountain oysters.

but at least with Jacorey you had the excitement of the unknown.  Who is he going to throw up on?  When will another shoe fly onto the court?

intelligence

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on November 27, 2015, 10:14:39 am
Yet the football team can go 500 overall and the coach is a rockstar.

Not true at all. There's another hog board with a 150+ page thread calling for his job.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: intelligence on November 30, 2015, 11:02:44 pm
Not true at all. There's another hog board with a 150+ page thread calling for his job.

which board is that?

jry04

Quote from: Breems on November 27, 2015, 10:27:26 am
"Just how bad this program has gotten."

We had our best year in nearly 20 years last year and have improved every year under Mike's tenure. We have a top 25 class (so far) coming in next year.

It's fine to be apathetic this year (I am), but don't pretend we're still in the Pelphrey years where it's some kind of gradual decline into mediocrity that drives you into apathy.

Believe it or not, some non-powerhouse programs have off years. We're having one.
There is a very good chance we will be a top 25 program for at least the next 2 years with all of the talent we have coming in. Barford, Bailey, Cook, Macon, and Gafford will be more than enough combined with what we will be returning to be a top 25 team in those 2 years. This offseason has been one to forget, but it is sad how stupid our fans are acting. Honestly believing there is some chance Mike is fired after this season when he lead us to our best season in 20 years last year, and will have us in the NCAAT barring injuries/suspensions in the next two seasons.

All of this could have possibly been avoided had Qualls and Portis not told Mike that they would be returning up until about a week before they announced that they were leaving. Maybe he shouldn't have been so naïve, but you cannot offer a scholarship to a kid that you do not even have at the time to give, and expect them to hold one. The only schools who can do that are the blue bloods. Babb left because he thought Qualls was returning. It would have been too crowded for Babb with Beard, Bell, Hannahs, Whitt, Watkins, and Qualls. Had Babb known Qualls was leaving and Hoiberg was taking the Bulls job, then he would likely still be here. Everything that could have gone wrong this offseason did. We were on the brink of being a top 10 team, and instead we are set back a year because everything that could go against us this offseason did. It is unfortunate. You can blame Mike, I am not happy with where our season is going in year 5. However, I am also smart enough to see how we look going forward, and I see us in the top 25 for the next 2 seasons.

bigred223

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 29, 2015, 09:08:05 pm
Of the 14 SEC football teams, there is only one elite program this year. Bama.

SEC is worse than the BIG 10, Big 12, PAC 12 and the ACC on the gridiron this year.

Only conference with any argument is PAC 12. ACC is by far the worst. Are you serious?

Captain Morgan

Quote from: bigred223 on December 03, 2015, 09:02:53 am
Only conference with any argument is PAC 12. ACC is by far the worst. Are you serious?

bigred223, I don't think he really believes it. Its just an argument he thinks to himself to justify that SEC basketball is strong and SEC football is bad. Its more supporting one coach at the university and bringing another coach down at the University of Arkansas to fit his agenda.

Nonetheless, only SEC and Pac12 have 10 teams bowl eligible. Not any other conference in college football, power 5 or not has that.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Captain Morgan on December 03, 2015, 09:11:29 am
bigred223, I don't think he really believes it. Its just an argument he thinks to himself to justify that SEC basketball is strong and SEC football is bad. Its more supporting one coach at the university and bringing another coach down at the University of Arkansas to fit his agenda.

Nonetheless, only SEC and Pac12 have 10 teams bowl eligible. Not any other conference in college football, power 5 or not has that.

Big 12 vs SEC 2015

Oklahoma at Tenn. 31-24
Texas Tech at Ark.   35-24

PAC 12

Arizona State vs A&M 17-38

ACC

Louisville vs Kentucky 38-24
Georgia vs G Tech  13-7
Florida vs F State 2-27
South Carolina vs Clemson 32-37
Lsu vs Syracuse 34-24
Auburn vs Lousiville 31-24
S. Carolina vs N. Carolina 17-13

We like to believe that the SEC is so much more elite than other conferences but they are making up ground as far as results on the field. A middle of the pack Big 12 team came to Arkansas and beat a middle of the pack Arkansas.

The SEC is still the best but teams outside the SEC is playing serious football.

bigdaddyhawg

You've got the mind that's running in that direction, good 'ol Tom.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on December 03, 2015, 10:15:39 am
You've got the mind that's running in that direction, good 'ol Tom.

You and Captain Morgan (TheRazorbackGuy) follow me around from thread to thread and you usually show up together. He's probably right behind you. Of course, you probably like that.

So, who cooked breakfast this morning, you or the Captain?

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on December 03, 2015, 12:10:09 pm
You and Captain Morgan (TheRazorbackGuy) follow me around from thread to thread and you usually show up together. He's probably right behind you. Of course, you probably like that.

So, who cooked breakfast this morning, you or the Captain?

Yo Momma cooked me breakfast!!

TomBigBeeHog

bigdaddyhawg

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on December 03, 2015, 12:18:13 pm
+1

I'll be back at cha. Haven't brushed up my Yo Mama jokes since grade school. Gotta update my arsenal.

Cinco de Hogo

Keep your chin up guys and realize or admit that the reason your apathic is the state of basketball in general and not just the state of Arkansas basketball.  Sure if we had a top ten program it would be better but realize it's not Mike Andersons fault exactly.  If things don't get better we might pull a Georgia at around year ten but you just as well stay with the program because after all your Hog Fans.

Jeffcphog

Apathy or not, Mike Anderson will be the Razorback coach until Mike Anderson decides not to be.  Period.  But I hope I am wrong.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: Jeffcphog on December 03, 2015, 07:14:23 pm
Apathy or not, Mike Anderson will be the Razorback coach until Mike Anderson decides not to be.  Period.  But I hope I am wrong.

Arazorbackguy1

Quote from: Jeffcphog on December 03, 2015, 07:14:23 pm

"Mike Anderson says that Mike Anderson be coach till Mike Anderson wants to be coach."
-Mike Anderson
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on December 03, 2015, 07:23:33 pm
"Mike Anderson says that Mike Anderson be coach till Mike Anderson wants to be coach."
-Mike Anderson

Have you guys heard anything about the rumor that Mike Anderson was going to be the coach at Arkansas until he dint want to be the coach at Arkansas?

hog.goblin

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on December 03, 2015, 06:41:36 pm
If things don't get better we might pull a Georgia at around year ten but you just as well stay with the program because after all your Hog Fans.

pulling a Georgia would be firing Mike after last year, and winning 27 of 36 games (same as 9 of 12).  That ain't happening.

Blutoblutarsky

Crapathy is right. I can't pay people to take my tickets to hog games. Hog basketball is dead. 27 wins last year (over 63.777799%) against losing record teams, doesn't open the eyes of anyone. #slowest40 #40minutesofdogcrap

elksnort

Quote from: Deep Shoat on November 27, 2015, 04:36:13 pm
It doesn't generate more traffic because only groupthink is allowed.

THIS.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Blutoblutarsky on December 03, 2015, 11:14:46 pm
Crapathy is right. I can't pay people to take my tickets to hog games. Hog basketball is dead. 27 wins last year (over 63.777799%) against losing record teams, doesn't open the eyes of anyone. #slowest40 #40minutesofdogcrap

The football team overall record of the teams they beat was 48-34. I guess the football program is alive and well.

root_hawg

SEC football is either 1 or 2 in the country every year, SEC Basketball well it is what it is but it is getting better

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Captain Morgan on November 29, 2015, 10:46:25 pm
I totally disagree.

Now let's go to the rest of the SEC, especially the SEC West where every team has a winning record except Auburn.

Alabama 11-1
Ole Miss 9-3
LSU 8-3
Miss State 8-4
Texas A&M 8-4
Arkansas 7-5

Florida 10-2
Georgia 9-3
Tennessee 8-4

The only conference in football that is close to SEC parity is the Pac 12 because only Oregon State and Colorado can classify as bad Power 5 schools. The Big 12, B1G 10 And ACC have more power 5 trash at the bottom.

Totally agree and I'll add some points.

1.  From the beginning of the season to the end, all these questions start popping up about is the SEC still the best.  As SEC teams start dropping the games, naysayers start chiming in.
In conference play, someone has to lose Jack!
Also, when the middle and lesser teams are still typically decent or better, this makes for a no-mistakes grind.

2.  Everyone loves and can't wait to knock off the giant.  The SEC doesn't seem to be as strong this year as in years past, but your above post illustrates that this is still a potent conference, despite what the giant slayers wish for and lust over.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

razoredge178

College basketball is broken systematically. Until the NBA changes their policies, which they won't, the days of old that we miss so much will stay of old.

Run MA off, the next guy will yield the same mediocre results.

Not a big MA fan here, especially when he went out of his way last Spring after the tournament to take a jab at Pelphrey an Heath about how he doesn't just recruit on the court players, but off the court players...and then half his team ends up in jail by the end of the Summer.

Their is no local fix to a national problem.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: razoredge178 on December 11, 2015, 09:18:07 am
Not a big MA fan here, especially when he went out of his way last Spring after the tournament to take a jab at Pelphrey an Heath about how he doesn't just recruit on the court players, but off the court players...and then half his team ends up in jail by the end of the Summer.

The hell you talking about

razoredge178

?

His post season presser last year he took a jab at recent former coaches, suggesting that he's not just looking for talent on the court (like Pel and Heath did), but good kids off the court as well. Bit him in the a** when a few months later half of his starting line up is the Washington county lock up on counterfeiting charges.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: razoredge178 on December 11, 2015, 09:47:57 am
?

His post season presser last year he took a jab at recent former coaches, suggesting that he's not just looking for talent on the court (like Pel and Heath did), but good kids off the court as well. Bit him in the a** when a few months later half of his starting line up is the Washington county lock up on counterfeiting charges.

I'd like to hear/see the quote in context.  He's clearly talking about past coaches, not just coaching in general?  You know that all of Long's statements about the state of the program that spring were along the same lines too right? 

Also, roughly half of what could have made the starting line-up but not half the team

Not saying it didn't hurt us to lose them because I think it did but I just think that's a huge overstatement that he looked stupid for saying that he goes after guys that he hopes will do well off the court.   

razoredge178

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on December 11, 2015, 10:00:16 am
I'd like to hear/see the quote in context.  He's clearly talking about past coaches, not just coaching in general?  You know that all of Long's statements about the state of the program that spring were along the same lines too right? 

Also, roughly half of what could have made the starting line-up but not half the team

Not saying it didn't hurt us to lose them because I think it did but I just think that's a huge overstatement that he looked stupid for saying that he goes after guys that he hopes will do well off the court.

He was on the post NCAA tourney high, and took a little swipe jab at Pel and Heath, indirectly indicating that they recruited thugs that could play ball and that he had a higher standard of recruiting. Its been talked about on these threads several times. It just turned out to be terrible timing, as his comments were on the eve of 1/2 of his prospective starting line up passing fake bills at the sleezy mart.

Which is getting off from my original post being that MA is a good coach and fit at the UofA, and that running him off won't fix the systematic problem that the NCAA has with the one and done phenomenon that is slowly destroying college basketball as we know it.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: razoredge178 on December 11, 2015, 10:23:12 am
He was on the post NCAA tourney high, and took a little swipe jab at Pel and Heath, indirectly indicating that they recruited thugs that could play ball and that he had a higher standard of recruiting. Its been talked about on these threads several times. It just turned out to be terrible timing, as his comments were on the eve of 1/2 of his prospective starting line up passing fake bills at the sleezy mart.

Which is getting off from my original post being that MA is a good coach and fit at the UofA, and that running him off won't fix the systematic problem that the NCAA has with the one and done phenomenon that is slowly destroying college basketball as we know it.

Word

ArkansasI

Quote from: razoredge178 on December 11, 2015, 10:23:12 am
How many one and dones are there each year in the NCAA?  5?  10?  15?  Most of them play for about 3 teams.  I'm not sure how players deciding to pursue a professional basketball career is ruining college basketball.

If the problem is Kentucky, give kids a reason to stay home.  The Wildcats play nearly exclusively with out-of-state talent.  Are there no prepsters that won't buy what Cal is selling?

If you can't keep the players, figure out a way to beat them when you play them.  A reasonably skilled mature team ought to be able to beat most teams filled with 18 year old ballers.

Players going pro isn't the problem.  Fans pay to watch players demonstrate basketball skills.  Defense is a skill.  Passing is a skill.  Dribbling, shooting, rebounding/blocking out... these are all skills.  Fans haven't seen teams that demonstrate all these skills in a long time.  If you watch Kentucky, most will agree that their success is predicated on solid defense.  Defend the halfcourt, limit opponents' possessions to one shot... this can be taught.  Butler appeared in back to back Final Fours without any highly rated recruits.

Today's recruiting tidbits from Richard Davenport highlights the recruiting class Mike has coming in next year.  Statistically, they are easy to get excited about.  I look forward to seeing them.  I hope they defend as well as they shoot.

razoredge178

Quote from: ArkansasI on December 11, 2015, 01:11:37 pm
How many one and dones are there each year in the NCAA?  5?  10?  15?  Most of them play for about 3 teams.  I'm not sure how players deciding to pursue a professional basketball career is ruining college basketball.

If the problem is Kentucky, give kids a reason to stay home.  The Wildcats play nearly exclusively with out-of-state talent.  Are there no prepsters that won't buy what Cal is selling?

If you can't keep the players, figure out a way to beat them when you play them.  A reasonably skilled mature team ought to be able to beat most teams filled with 18 year old ballers.

Players going pro isn't the problem.  Fans pay to watch players demonstrate basketball skills.  Defense is a skill.  Passing is a skill.  Dribbling, shooting, rebounding/blocking out... these are all skills.  Fans haven't seen teams that demonstrate all these skills in a long time.  If you watch Kentucky, most will agree that their success is predicated on solid defense.  Defend the halfcourt, limit opponents' possessions to one shot... this can be taught.  Butler appeared in back to back Final Fours without any highly rated recruits.

Today's recruiting tidbits from Richard Davenport highlights the recruiting class Mike has coming in next year.  Statistically, they are easy to get excited about.  I look forward to seeing them.  I hope they defend as well as they shoot.

Mike Irwin had a good take on it....

http://www.nationofblue.com/arkansas-radio-guy-trashes-malik-monk-and-john-calipari-in-epic-rant/