Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

History of Little Rock Recruits

Started by snoot hoggy hog, November 21, 2015, 12:37:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

snoot hoggy hog

This whole Monk deal made me think back to when L.R. Parkview was a powerhouse and their players went to every school but Arkansas. I never knew why. Did Flanigan have an issue with Nolan?

razorhog52

Nolan took a bunch of Memphis kids over parkview kids (as he should of at the time). However, when our Memphis well dried up, Parkview and Flanigan kept sending kids to Ole Miss (and Auburn, and Minnesota in Quincy Lewis's case). Nolan did not have the best relationship with the Arkansas AAU guys.

Big Boi

Basketball recruiting was changing drastically in the early 90s. Nolan was stuck in his ways, wasn't interested in recruiting the AAU circuit. Missed opportunity with shoe alliances (Converse?) and a falling out with the most powerful HS coach in-state. By the mid 90s the days of Nolans style of recruiting was on the way out.   

snoot hoggy hog

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Big Boi on November 21, 2015, 08:16:05 am
Basketball recruiting was changing drastically in the early 90s. Nolan was stuck in his ways, wasn't interested in recruiting the AAU circuit. Missed opportunity with shoe alliances (Converse?) and a falling out with the most powerful HS coach in-state. By the mid 90s the days of Nolans style of recruiting was on the way out. 
On the way out on favor of a corrupt AAU system that puts HS coaches and HS teams on the back burner in favor of handlers who are out to identify and package future NBA players.

AAU makes rock stars out of 14 year old kids. They walk into the gym with their heads down, their headphones on, ignoring all that's around them until it's time to perform in front of a few friends and parents along with a bunch of recruiters and handlers.

The whole thing is a sterile, plastic envoronment. Reminds me of a video game.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 23, 2015, 09:25:21 am
On the way out on favor of a corrupt AAU system that puts HS coaches and HS teams on the back burner in favor of handlers who are out to identify and package future NBA players.

AAU makes rock stars out of 14 year old kids. They walk into the gym with their heads down, their headphones on, ignoring all that's around them until it's time to perform in front of a few friends and parents along with a bunch of recruiters and handlers.

So, should the program just sit back and say "that's just the way it is", our should Mike shake up his staff and get a recruiter on his staff that specializes in the AAU system?

Mike Irwin

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 23, 2015, 09:26:54 am
So, should the program just sit back and say "that's just the way it is", our should Mike shake up his staff and get a recruiter on his staff that specializes in the AAU system?
Where did I mention Mike or "the program?" I was referring to Nolan and what was going on 15 years ago.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 23, 2015, 09:34:30 am
Where did I mention Mike or "the program?" I was referring to Nolan and what was going on 15 years ago.

But the same problem still persists. Our program isn't landing the Top high school talent the way Alabama and Mississippi State are after their new hires. You can even throw LSU and Texas a&m in that boat as well. We may get a home state kid who just wants to be a Razorback (Portis, Gafford), or a kid that the staff had a long connection with (Whitt), but just going out and winning a recruiting battle for a 4-star out of state kid isn't happening like it is at other programs. JUCO's and Transfers seem to be working, but the majority of out of state kids are the 3-star, diamonds in the rough, types.

Big Boi

Thx Mike

Big Boi

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 23, 2015, 09:44:13 am
But the same problem still persists. Our program isn't landing the Top high school talent the way Alabama and Mississippi State are after their new hires. You can even throw LSU and Texas a&m in that boat as well. We may get a home state kid who just wants to be a Razorback (Portis, Gafford), or a kid that the staff had a long connection with (Whitt), but just going out and winning a recruiting battle for a 4-star out of state kid isn't happening like it is at other programs. JUCO's and Transfers seem to be working, but the majority of out of state kids are the 3-star, diamonds in the rough, types.
It is what it is. CMA isn't changing or being forced to change from TJ.  After we didn't land Stokes I started to believe the people were right that opposed CMA for his lack of recruiting. Luckily CMA is a above average at recognizing talent for his system.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Big Boi on November 23, 2015, 10:05:14 am
It is what it is. CMA isn't changing or being forced to change from TJ.  After we didn't land Stokes I started to believe the people were right that opposed CMA for his lack of recruiting. Luckily CMA is a above average at recognizing talent for his system.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

hobhog

Something just doesn't fit with the loss of in state players lately. What are theses guys getting whispered to that makes them pass on MAs teams?

rude1

^^This...Nolan recognized early on that the AAU system was toxic, and there is nothing that has happened since then to change it. It is a completely corrupt system with grown men looking to see what they can get paid off the kids.......

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: snoot hoggy hog on November 21, 2015, 12:37:10 am
This whole Monk deal made me think back to when L.R. Parkview was a powerhouse and their players went to every school but Arkansas. I never knew why. Did Flanigan have an issue with Nolan?

Back then I thought the Minnesota coaching staff and school were classy and above board..............Man was I ever wrong.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi