Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

They should play "Murder Was the Case" when fans are entering Bud Walton Arena

Started by Rey Pygsterio, November 20, 2015, 09:41:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Rey Pygsterio

... because that's what every single person who advocated firing Nolan did to Razorback basketball.

Why is Arkansas still not back from the events of March 1, 2002? Look in the mirror.
"Rey Pygsterio will slash the tires on your Flex Fuel Tahoe and slap your Bentonville princess wife in the face." - Latarian

hulk hog

Quote from: Rey Pygsterio on November 20, 2015, 09:41:20 am
... because that's what every single person who advocated firing Nolan did to Razorback basketball.

Why is Arkansas still not back from the events of March 1, 2002? Look in the mirror.

I love Nolan but I'm not sure the administration had a choice. Plenty of blame on both sides.  The real crime was the thought process used to replace him.
paid for by the NHO... the NewHogOrder.....

HognitiveDissonance

No, we'd be right where we are today. Seeing recruits slip away...struggling just to make the tournament.
We were slip-sliding backwards from 1995. Nolan didn't want to recruit as hard anymore. Fans were getting restless wanting to return to 1990s levels and it wasn't happening.
Nolan wasn't even recruiting Ronnie Brewer that well, right up the street at FHS. Energy level overall wasn't there anymore. He had climbed the mountain once and to at least some degree was resting on his laurels. He felt he could say and do anything he wanted. I remember those days in 2002 very well. No employee can say the things Nolan said and get away with it. He was just begging for it, and the UA gave it to him.

I'm not saying Nolan or the UA all right or all wrong, not really trying to get into that at all...simply commenting that 'all would be fine' now if Nolan were still here.

In 2001 fans were so starved they were going berserk when Andre Iguodala committed, and he was ONE recruit. Alone he couldn't do it, but people were ecstatic to get one recruit over several suitors. Back in the day, it was routine. Day Mayberry Corliss Darnell Lee Wilson Huery...recruits wanted to come here. But those days were gone and people knew it.

Inhogswetrust

It isn't the mirror we need to look at it's what's been on the sidelines sitting next to players since then.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Mike Irwin

The fans didn't fire Nolan. There was one booster in particular that had a big role in getting Nolan to the point where he said what he said which got him fired. Interestingly, that booster was one of the biggest backers of Mike in the hiring process after Pelphrey was fired.

He told me that he'd been wrong about Nolan.

Nolan still lives up here and he's pretty much made peace with all of the people he had to battle back in those days.
When you get in your 70's that T-level starts dropping and you aren't as angry as you used to be. I'm not there yet but there's something to be said for walking away from an argument.

Kevin

The firing was not the problem, it is who they hired that was the problem
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Country Stylz

Quote from: Kevin on November 20, 2015, 03:21:53 pm
The firing was not the problem, it is who they hired that was the problem
Might could have hired Bill Self but we had to be politically correct  (if that's what we want to call it) instead. Wonder how Self would have worked out?

hamARchy in the USA

John White should've been exiled and Nolan should've been fired sooner.

Danny J

Quote from: Country Stylz on November 20, 2015, 05:29:33 pm
Might could have hired Bill Self but we had to be politically correct  (if that's what we want to call it) instead. Wonder how Self would have worked out?
Hard to believe he would have done here what he has done at KU but he would have done well. He is very passionate and a hell of a recruiter not to mention he knows how to coach.

Acehawg

Quote from: Danny J on November 20, 2015, 05:46:56 pm
Hard to believe he would have done here what he has done at KU but he would have done well. He is very passionate and a hell of a recruiter not to mention he knows how to coach.
We weren't that far below KU as a program when Nolan was fired.  Self would've been extremely successful here.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Acehawg on November 20, 2015, 08:09:10 pm
We weren't that far below KU as a program when Nolan was fired.  Self would've been extremely successful here.
Agreed, whatever Self would have done would have been better than what we got.
All signs point to Self taking the job, leaving Illinois. Remember he came from Tulsa, and in-laws lived in Oklahoma, so much closer to home, and arguably UA was >= Illinois then.

Tommy Boyer said in so many words that Self would have been the guy, but idiotic John White's insistence on candidates coming to campus for a public interview killed that. No established coach is ever going to do that.

I'll say it again...John White did more damage to Razorback athletics than anyone in recent memory. He basically ran the athletic department back then.

Hogsfan1981

Our best year of basketball in a decade followed by one of the worst off seasons of all time.

The Monk thing is just another sign of the times. I didn't care about Monk coming here just to win games for a season.

I wanted Monk to come here because of the attention it would have brought to the program.

Think about all the instate high level recruits we have missed out on. These kids have no love for the program.

Players like Monk choosing to stay home. When that starts to happen I'll believe the program has turned the corner. College basketball as a whole has started to lose my attention.