Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Heard Mike Irwin today say fans need to show up at BWA

Started by Mr. Porkleone, November 18, 2015, 10:25:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 19, 2015, 10:08:56 am
Who built this team that will end up finishing around .500 and miss the postseason?

Answer: Mike Anderson.

Yeah. It's long done. Restating the fact adds little.
[CENSORED]!

Breems

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 19, 2015, 10:27:39 am
Yeah. It's long done. Restating the fact adds little.

Iceman needs everyone to know he has swapped sides. It's in every post.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

code red

"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

PonderinHog

Quote from: Breems on November 19, 2015, 10:29:52 am
Iceman needs everyone to know he has swapped sides. It's in every post.
He needs an intervention, Breems, before it's too late.

code red

Quote from: bhogs05 on November 19, 2015, 10:22:53 am
Agree with Iceman 100%. It was like Mike had no plan this offseason and now he's trying to put a band aid on it by getting a bunch of JUCO guys..which I hope works, but in most cases JUCO guys don't come in and light it up..maybe these guys will. He better hope they do or it will be another bad year next year. 
The problem is the system.  Unless you can do like Duke...UK......etc....and turn these kids over quick your going to run into situations like we did this year.  Arkansas is no longer a destination college for basketball.  In addition....these rule changes are not to the advantage of MA style.  Still yet.....I think a better plan should have been in place last Jan when there was a great chance Qualls and Portis where going to hit the road.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Danny J

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 19, 2015, 09:49:20 amPoor inside scoring will be a problem against a lot of matchups.

That is the main problem I see especially going forward when Beard gets back and Whitt gains more experience. We simply don't have an adequate low post game against anybody not a SWAC team. When we get in the SEC this will become very apparent. We need more talented forwards whether it be SF or PF. We are not even 100% that Cook will be eligible. We have some guys who play hard and can be streaky at times but nobody the opposition is going to have a problem game planning against.

The_Iceman

Quote from: bhogs05 on November 19, 2015, 10:22:53 am
Agree with Iceman 100%. It was like Mike had no plan this offseason and now he's trying to put a band aid on it by getting a bunch of JUCO guys..which I hope works, but in most cases JUCO guys don't come in and light it up..maybe these guys will. He better hope they do or it will be another bad year next year. 

The problem is, the JUCO band-aid is a year too late. We needed that help in the 2015 offseason knowing what we were just about to lose (Madden, Harris, Qualls, Portis) and what we ended up losing (Babb, Williams).

The_Iceman

Quote from: code red on November 19, 2015, 10:36:49 am
The problem is the system.  Unless you can do like Duke...UK......etc....and turn these kids over quick your going to run into situations like we did this year.  Arkansas is no longer a destination college for basketball.  In addition....these rule changes are not to the advantage of MA style.  Still yet.....I think a better plan should have been in place last Jan when there was a great chance Qualls and Portis where going to hit the road.

Let me make something clear, I have no problem with what Mike is trying to do on the court. I think up-tempo, dribble drive, 3-point shooting, and free flowing offense is a good system. I don't mind that we give up a little on defense to get us in a flow on offense. It is sorta like up-tempo teams in football. I think Mike gets the most out of the players he brings onto campus. But there is the issue....the players he bring onto campus. He is inconsistent in filling out a roster that he can be successful with.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 19, 2015, 10:08:56 am
Who built this team that will end up finishing around .500 and miss the postseason?

Answer: Mike Anderson.

Its year 5 for Mike Anderson. He is supposed to build programs like Bielema by building depth around developing high-character, hard-working players instead of the hot prospects. The problem is he didn't do either. He has a depleted roster, couldn't keep Babb on the roster to develop him into the talent we needed last night, he lost a senior starting forward to legal trouble, lost his starting PG half the season to legal issues, lost a Top 50 recruit to grades that should have been foreseen. He had no solid backup plans to any of these issues, on top of seeming ill-prepared for the highly possible fact that Portis (and Qualls) were going to go pro.

Let me start by saying I really like Bret Bielema.

With that said, you are making it sound like Bielema never has character issues on his roster. Taiwan Johnson got a DUI and had his car taken away. Blake Johnson got caught urinating on a stoplight.  Bielema's team has rebounded tremendously but we were not even close to being ready to play. If we were ready to play in September this could have been a contender for the SEC title.
It is very early in the season and we lost to a MAC team at home, just like Bret Bielema's team.

Let's hope the basketball team can eventually put it together just like the football team has.

razorhead94

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 19, 2015, 10:44:38 am
The problem is, the JUCO band-aid is a year too late. We needed that help in the 2015 offseason knowing what we were just about to lose (Madden, Harris, Qualls, Portis) and what we ended up losing (Babb, Williams).

I hear what you are saying but we did not have the scholarships available.  I honestly thought BP and Qualls were coming back.  You cant go out recruiting and tell JUCOs hey wait until the late signing period or after to see if we still need you.  You are not going to lock up top JUCOs like that because they want to ensure to go to a school where they can play immediately and plan for it.

Is it a mess?  Yes, but it hard to sell available schollies when there aren't any.  The Kapita situation didn't help either.
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

Biggus Piggus

I don't care why fans are not showing up. Without better fan support, Arkansas basketball will never be anything special, ever.
[CENSORED]!

Cinco de Hogo

NLRHog92

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on November 19, 2015, 10:59:44 am
Let me start by saying I really like Bret Bielema.

With that said, you are making it sound like Bielema never has character issues on his roster. Taiwan Johnson got a DUI and had his car taken away. Blake Johnson got caught urinating on a stoplight.  Bielema's team has rebounded tremendously but we were not even close to being ready to play. If we were ready to play in September this could have been a contender for the SEC title.
It is very early in the season and we lost to a MAC team at home, just like Bret Bielema's team.

Let's hope the basketball team can eventually put it together just like the football team has.

It was Beanum, not Johnson. And football is vastly different. We had a new OC and they hadn't fully adjusted yet. If they had been playing at the level offensively that they are now, then we would have won those games. That's al scheme though, as we lost players on offense but still managed to produce later. Basketball is more about skill since there are fewer players and each one impacts the game more. Sure, scheme is a factor, but ours isn't doing us any favors when we don't have the bodies to run it. We especially don't have the skill. This team is not good this year, even if we adjust and start to play better.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 19, 2015, 11:05:40 am
I don't care why fans are not showing up. Without better fan support, Arkansas basketball will never be anything special, ever.

There is the classic Chicken vs. Egg argument. Although, I think we are past the point of expecting Arkansas fans to show up and help get this program on the right track. Its been 15+ years. In terms of College Basketball, the fans have been pretty good the last two years. But you can't then take away their prime steak and hand them a $1 cheeseburger and expect them keep showing up for dinner.

Woo Pig25

Quote from: razorhead94 on November 19, 2015, 11:00:09 am
I hear what you are saying but we did not have the scholarships available.  I honestly thought BP and Qualls were coming back.  You cant go out recruiting and tell JUCOs hey wait until the late signing period or after to see if we still need you.  You are not going to lock up top JUCOs like that because they want to ensure to go to a school where they can play immediately and plan for it.

Is it a mess?  Yes, but it hard to sell available schollies when there aren't any.  The Kapita situation didn't help either.
Agree with you 100%. Portis was 50/50 on staying.  Qualls pulled an extremely fast one on everyone and declared the day after Portis after he told the coaching staff he was staying.  The Kaptia situation is a little odd, he basically quit doing school work once he had signed. Hard to have kids wait and wait on available positions when there aren't any.  As far as the legal issues, those were the really first issues MA has had with players at the University.  These guys are 18-22/23 years old, they know right from wrong.  Coaches can't be at players side every minute of everyday.  No one would ever have thought that Beard, Williams, and Thomas would get into trouble of this caliber.  Not like the staff can say "Let's have these x amount of players on a short list just in case we have some legal issues." A kid will never take a program seriously and want to go there when there is nothing available.  Everyone saw how hard it was for Portis to declare, it was toss-up on what he would do. Just one of those years that's going to happen in a program.  All we as fans can do is support this group this season, see them get better, and get ready for a great class of talent coming in next season. I applaud this staff for the product that's out there right now, they play hard and never quit.  If they acted like some of you guys the season would be over before it ever started.  Moses Kingsley is putting on clinics and that should have us excited to see his improvement throughout the year.  Whitt is a freshman and is only going to get better.  Akron is an NCAA Tourney team, great measuring stick to see where we are and what we can work on.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 19, 2015, 11:31:55 am
There is the classic Chicken vs. Egg argument. Although, I think we are past the point of expecting Arkansas fans to show up and help get this program on the right track. Its been 15+ years. In terms of College Basketball, the fans have been pretty good the last two years. But you can't then take away their prime steak and hand them a $1 cheeseburger and expect them keep showing up for dinner.

A while ago, Arkansas thought it could solve this problem by firing a coach who was winning and replacing him with someone who would excite the fan base. Well, gotta know how to make the hire if you're going to try something like that.
[CENSORED]!

The_Iceman

Arkansas right now would fit much better in an arena like the new ones at Ole Miss or Auburn. Smaller in size, super updates and nice, and creates a more rowdy environment.

If you had a concert in a 20,000 seat area with only 8,000 fans there, the environment would kind of suck. But cram those 8,000 in a 9,000 seat arena, and you are rockin'.

I honestly just wish they would curtain or board off the upper deck and move everyone down to the lower level. Only open the upper deck up once the lower level reaches 90% capacity. I know thats a logistical nightmare with the way tickets are sold, but it would sure help the environment in BWA.

Albert Einswine

^^^ Move the games back to Barnhill until there's enough demand for the Bud.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

UNCLE BACK

Football team can be 0-17 in three years in the SEC and Draw a full House. Basketball can come off of a 27 win season and have less than 6,000 show up. It sucks but its just how it is...

ICEman

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on November 18, 2015, 10:25:31 pm
Tonight's crowd was HORRIBLE! PATHEDIC!!

Players want to see big crowds and our crowd has to be disheartening to players, coaches and Admin. Heck, I want to see big crowds.  Fact is teams like Kentucky, Duke, UNC, Kansas and the list goes on with other teams that would have packed the house.

Fact is, We have fallen way farther than most think. I wonder now if Barnhill should have stayed. Anyway......I'll keep showing up.
Barnhill would look empty with the crowd size this team will draw this year.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: hogsanity on November 19, 2015, 08:51:30 am
And, even with that, there is a reason a place like Duke has not built a 20K seat arena, that they could easily fill at least half the time, it is because the other half of the time they would have empty seats, yes even mighty Duke would have trouble selling out weeknight rent a wins. Maybe not in the 1st or 2nd year, but over time, attendance would decrease for those games.

Excellent point. How do we solve this problem?
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

The_Iceman

Quote from: UNCLE BACK on November 19, 2015, 12:47:49 pm
Football team can be 0-17 in three years in the SEC and Draw a full House. Basketball can come off of a 27 win season and have less than 6,000 show up. It sucks but its just how it is...

Football is much more of a social event. Kind of like baseball. Basketball just isn't cool anymore in Arkansas to the average fan.

Dominicanhog

Big Boi

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 19, 2015, 11:05:40 am
I don't care why fans are not showing up. Without better fan support players, Arkansas basketball will never be anything special, ever.
I fixed that for you.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Dominicanhog on November 19, 2015, 08:54:18 am
I'd like to see a modernization of the concourses, food and bathrooms, eliminate 3,000-5000 seats and let the students in for $5 per game.  Rebuild demand, addition thru subtraction... would our 6900 last night not have filled Cameron indoor.. we are playing in a stadium that is too large for 99% of all teams.

Student's get in for a lot less than $5 a game, when you consider the value of the All-Access pass.

hobhog

Quote from: Albert Einswine on November 19, 2015, 11:52:31 am
^^^ Move the games back to Barnhill until there's enough demand for the Bud.

I would buy season tickets tomorrow. We need to shrink it down then grow it back up.

Maybe just try it for a game or two. Bring back the triplets to open ceremony.

hogsanity

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 19, 2015, 12:50:12 pm
Excellent point. How do we solve this problem?

I am not sure it can be solved, and I think it is a systemic problem with college basketball, it is NOT a University of Arkansas problem. Football has become king of college sports, and 85% of fans do not really care about college basketball until March madness arrives.

One possible remedy would be FEWER games. Do not start until the football regular season is over, and play your rent a wins on weekends when more people can come. Play your big ooc games, if you have any, on weeknights, to give people incentive to come on those nights. If the Akron game had been this Saturday afternoon or even Sunday afternoon, I would probably have gone. I just can't make games Mon-Thur evenings.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Dominicanhog

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 19, 2015, 01:21:22 pm
Student's get in for a lot less than $5 a game, when you consider the value of the All-Access pass.

yeah, someone had shared that with me earlier.. I thought they were paying more.. the point I was trying to make is:

Lower the price and cut capacity until demand is greater than capacity ..Trying to keep your revenue numbers equal to last year by  raising or maintaining prices while demand is falling is a long term losing proposition.

GuvHog

Quote from: Beaverfever on November 19, 2015, 04:03:32 am
We allowed the proud Arkansas basketball program to completely die.  I don't think people fully get this.  10k+ is a solid crowd for a third rate program. 

Another reason for the lower attendance is the current Hog fan base is not the same as the fan base that Nolan had. Things change in 20 years time. The current one is football oriented and that will have to change drastically for BWA to have even close to sellout crowds again.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogsanity on November 19, 2015, 01:26:56 pm
I am not sure it can be solved, and I think it is a systemic problem with college basketball, it is NOT a University of Arkansas problem. Football has become king of college sports, and 85% of fans do not really care about college basketball until March madness arrives.

One possible remedy would be FEWER games. Do not start until the football regular season is over, and play your rent a wins on weekends when more people can come. Play your big ooc games, if you have any, on weeknights, to give people incentive to come on those nights. If the Akron game had been this Saturday afternoon or even Sunday afternoon, I would probably have gone. I just can't make games Mon-Thur evenings.

Think how much more fun Arkansas football would be if every game was played at 6 or 7 at night? The atmosphere would be awesome, especially with a full day of tailgating. However, TV money rules the sports world now. We sold out the experience for the money.

Football can survive because of the tailgating and social nature of the event, and there are only 6-8 home games a year per team. For basketball, you need to build venues that fit the need. BWA was built in a different time, and also for the WM Shareholders meetings. If Arkansas played in a modern Barnhill type arena with 8-10k seats, the atmosphere would probably be pretty solid. Spread a decent crowd of 8-12k people across 19,000 seats, and it kills the environment.

Curtain off the upper deck until the lower level is full, and the environment would greatly improve. But the reason the crowd was so bad last night is because of the product Mike has put on the floor for this season. However, even with a Top 25 team, you probably aren't looking at any more than 11-12k.

hogsanity

Quote from: GuvHog on November 19, 2015, 01:38:28 pm
Another reason for the lower attendance is the current Hog fan base is not the same as the fan base that Nolan had. Things change in 20 years time. The current one is football oriented and that will have to change drastically for BWA to have even close to sellout crowds again.

Exactly. I was 23 in 1993, those of us who were raised on success in the bball program are all in our late 30's -mid 50's now. We have kids, mortgages, jobs, some may have grandkids even. Those who are 23 now are not, for the most part, going to go to 15 basketball games per year. They will show up for a big game, but they are not going to show up for Evansville, I do not care how good or bad the Hogs are.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The_Iceman

Quote from: Dominicanhog on November 19, 2015, 01:34:44 pm
yeah, someone had shared that with me earlier.. I thought they were paying more.. the point I was trying to make is:

Lower the price and cut capacity until demand is greater than capacity ..Trying to keep your revenue numbers equal to last year by  raising or maintaining prices while demand is falling is a long term losing proposition.

There is just something off with the student fanbase at the UofA. We probably the best priced student ticket pass in the SEC, we basically let students in free, and you look at the football games and unless it is a big game, the attendance is poor. Basketball is even worse.

The_Iceman

One thing football and baseball have that basketball does not, and that is the alcohol element. I wonder how much that plays a role is it and if allowing $5 beer to be sold in BWA would help attendance.

kevinagee

Mike comment was fans need to show up. Not buy tickets as you see the actual paid attendance for this game and since Mike Anderson became head coach is 14K plus every game.
The 5k available un paid seats every game is I would guess in the upper level. Being the seats the U of A already have a reduced price on with no donation fees needed to the Razorback Foundation.

Being a Razorback Season ticket holder in 8 different U of A sports. The U of A has there money and donation fee's rather I choose to go or not well in advance to the season starting.

Paid attendance - 14,000+

Actual attendance - 5,902

So those saying Bud Walton is over built or want to go back to Barnhill. Where the capacity was 9k would have the difficulty to even buy a ticket from the opponent being Arkon or KY. let alone be at a game if you wanted to. Besides the fact you will loose revenue on an est. 5k seats paid for every year with Razorbacks season ticket holders and Razorback foundation donation paid. In a stadium of 9k to 14k paid attendance every game

Basically the revenue generated by the 12k to 14k plus season ticket holders or paid attendance every game. States that Bud Walton is the right complicity of 19K for are basketball program. We cannot down size.
If we do its like saying move all the Razorback football games to Lt. Rock a 50k stadium due to there is 5k unpaid seats every game in a 70k Razorback stadium.

The U of A 1st cares about paid attendance. The players care and would like buts in the seats of those paid seats.

Now in today's economy. For a paid ticket holder that works 8-10 hours a day knows at the end of the day I do not feel like going to the game. This person is not going to go hang out in front of the stadium to sell his tickets.They may try posting on social media to sell but it to take the time to do this only to find fans constantly replying will you take $5.00 or how about free or that will only give you 10 to maybe 15 dollars for a ticket to say Akron. Then have to spend the gas and additional time to go meet them somewhere... Just odds are not happening we just rather attempt to give it to a co worker or friend or what often mostly happens is Trash the ticket. We as season ticket holders have paid 450.00 to 600.00 plus months ago for these tickets. So trashing today a 25.00 face value plus another 10 dollars plus donation fee= 35 to 40 a game no matter Akron or KY. Doesn't really phase a season ticket holder in the thinking in something paid for months ago of only getting maybe 10 to 15 in return if you do sell it for that.
So its not about the money why season ticket or paid ticket holders are not showing up. Its just talent of the team vs competition of the night the razorbacks are playing.

Its like this in all sports there are less actual attendance vs paid attendance in Basketball,Football,Baseball ect ect.

Razorback Fans that are Loyal and will always buy up season tickets and those that contribute to the Razorback Foundation will do so regardless of a win loss record. Its there passion in there Razorback Blood.
Now will they always go to the games. Probably not. but they will go to the majority of the games. We buy season tickets to support the program and the student athletes is why we are Foundation Members.

So at this point the question is how to get the 9k paid for in there seats is what Mike real statement is about.

PonderinHog

And the answer is to put a consistent winner on the court.

hogsanity

Quote from: kevinagee on November 19, 2015, 01:46:33 pm
Mike comment was fans need to show up. Not buy tickets as you see the actual paid attendance for this game and since Mike Anderson became head coach is 14K plus every game.
The 5k available un paid seats every game is I would guess in the upper level. Being the seats the U of A already have a reduced price on with no donation fees needed to the Razorback Foundation.

Being a Razorback Season ticket holder in 8 different U of A sports. The U of A has there money and donation fee's rather I choose to go or not well in advance to the season starting.

So those saying Bud Walton is over built or want to go back to Barnhill. Where the capacity was 9k would have the difficulty to even buy a ticket from the opponent being Arkon or KY. let alone be at a game if you wanted to. Besides the fact you will loose revenue on an est. 5k seats paid for every year with Razorbacks season ticket holders and Razorback foundation donation paid. In a stadium of 9k to 14k paid attendance every game

Basically the revenue generated by the 12k to 14k plus season ticket holders or paid attendance every game. States that Bud Walton is the right complicity of 19K for are basketball program. We cannot down size.
If we do its like saying move all the Razorback football games to Lt. Rock a 50k stadium due to there is 5k unpaid seats every game in a 70k Razorback stadium.

The U of A 1st cares about paid attendance. The players care and would like buts in the seats of those paid seats.

Now in today's economy. For a paid ticket holder that works 8-10 hours a day knows at the end of the day I do not feel like going to the game. This person is not going to go hang out in front of the stadium to sell his tickets.They may try posting on social media to sell but it to take the time to do this only to find fans constantly replying will you take $5.00 or how about free or that will only give you 10 to maybe 15 dollars for a ticket to say Akron. Then have to spend the gas and additional time to go meet them somewhere... Just odds are not happening we just rather attempt to give it to a co worker or friend or what often mostly happens is Trash the ticket. We as season ticket holders have paid 450.00 to 600.00 plus months ago for these tickets. So trashing today a 25.00 face value plus another 10 dollars plus donation fee= 35 to 40 a game no matter Akron or KY. Doesn't really phase a season ticket holder in the thinking in something paid for months ago of only getting maybe 10 to 15 in return if you do sell it for that.
So its not about the money why season ticket or paid ticket holders are not showing up. Its just talent of the team vs competition of the night the razorbacks are playing.

Its like this in all sports there are less actual attendance vs paid attendance in Basketball,Football,Baseball ect ect.

Razorback Fans that are Loyal and will always buy up season tickets and those that contribute to the Razorback Foundation will do so regardless of a win loss record. Its there passion in there Razorback Blood.
Now will they always go to the games. Probably not. but they will go to the majority of the games. We buy season tickets to support the program and the student athletes is why we are Foundation Members.

So at this point the question is how to get the 9k paid for in there seats is what Mike real statement is about.

Valid points, but if John Q Seasonticketholder lives in Conway or LR, or anywhere over an hour from campus, they are not likely to show up on a weeknight to watch the Hogs play Akron. I am not sure anything can be done about that.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 19, 2015, 01:43:38 pm
One thing football and baseball have that basketball does not, and that is the alcohol element. I wonder how much that plays a role is it and if allowing $5 beer to be sold in BWA would help attendance.

I don't have answers but maybe some thoughts... In NBA cities, often there are sports bars/lounges and restaurants next door and across the street, people get to the area and enjoy the social aspect as you said BB is missing, along with alcohol.. maybe as they eliminate capacity as I mentioned, you create sports bar or lounges in the arena where people could go early and party/socialize before the game, serve the alcohol before the game..also do they do things like Greek night, Senior Night, kids night, specials and promotions, just spitballing for ideas that get groups or larger segments of the population to come together.. until there are sellouts, let every kid in for free...etc.

kevinagee

Quote from: hogsanity on November 19, 2015, 01:52:29 pm
Valid points, but if John Q Seasonticketholder lives in Conway or LR, or anywhere over an hour from campus, they are not likely to show up on a weeknight to watch the Hogs play Akron. I am not sure anything can be done about that.

Are are correct.. I do not choose to go to Lt Rock to see Arkansas vs Toledo this year.. But I was first in line with my season tickets to get GA added the year before. No matter the central Arkansas drive.

Inhogswetrust

November 19, 2015, 02:25:31 pm #89 Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 02:44:04 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: kevinagee on November 19, 2015, 01:46:33 pm

Jimmy Dykes even once said it was overbuilt and should have been in the 16,000 range.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: PonderinHog on November 19, 2015, 01:52:11 pm
And the answer is to put a consistent winner on the court.

NOTHING will get the attendance back up except this!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

The_Iceman

Quote from: Dominicanhog on November 19, 2015, 01:57:58 pm
I don't have answers but maybe some thoughts... In NBA cities, often there are sports bars/lounges and restaurants next door and across the street, people get to the area and enjoy the social aspect as you said BB is missing, along with alcohol.. maybe as they eliminate capacity as I mentioned, you create sports bar or lounges in the arena where people could go early and party/socialize before the game, serve the alcohol before the game..also do they do things like Greek night, Senior Night, kids night, specials and promotions, just spitballing for ideas that get groups or larger segments of the population to come together.. until there are sellouts, let every kid in for free...etc.

I've always said we should re-design the upperdeck to look something like Tennessee:

I think you need more than just a basketball game to watch. Create a fun environment. And whether some like it or not, alcohol helps with that. The problem is, Walmart isn't going to want to lose seats in BWA because they need it large for the shareholders meetings, which is why I think maybe just putting a black curtain up to block it off until we actually need it. Keep everyone in the lower level.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 19, 2015, 02:26:44 pm
NOTHING will get the attendance back up except this!
No doubt, we lost a lot of momentum last spring.  It was like Murphy's Law cubed or something.  Damn.

MikePiazza

Everything being mentioned has validity.

The first 5-6 years BWA was open, I doubt there was a game with less than 15K actual attendance unless there was an ice storm. The program was at its zenith and Nolan was bringing in McDonald's and Parade All-Americans in every class.

Then the program slipped and every game started being televised. Then college basketball started declining in popularity. Then they fired Nolan. The crowds sorta came back from '05-08 when some good players were here but nothing like the mid-90s.

Today's college freshmen, the only good Razorback basketball they really know is the last two years.

As for them overbuilding BWA, yeah, they probably did, but at the time, there was a waiting list to get season tickets. Hindsight is 20-20.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

Inhogswetrust

November 19, 2015, 02:46:29 pm #94 Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 07:57:07 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: The_Iceman on November 19, 2015, 02:30:35 pm
I've always said we should re-design the upperdeck to look something like Tennessee:

I think you need more than just a basketball game to watch. Create a fun environment. And whether some like it or not, alcohol helps with that. The problem is, Walmart isn't going to want to lose seats in BWA because they need it large for the shareholders meetings, which is why I think maybe just putting a black curtain up to block it off until we actually need it. Keep everyone in the lower level.

I've been a proponent of something like that on BOTH sides ever since I first saw TN do that. Make both sides Loge seating or at least behind the backboards like the FedEx Forum is in Memphis. Call em club seats and get alcohol service there like the club seats in RRS. I am not a fan of black curtains in arenas though. It is obvious why they are there.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: MikePiazza on November 19, 2015, 02:37:49 pm
Everything being mentioned has validity.

The first 5-6 years BWA was open, I doubt there was a game with less than 15K actual attendance unless there was an ice storm. The program was at its zenith and Nolan was bringing in McDonald's and Parade All-Americans in every class.

Then the program slipped and every game started being televised. Then college basketball started declining in popularity. Then they fired Nolan. The crowds sorta came back from '05-08 when some good players were here but nothing like the mid-90s.

Today's college freshmen, the only good Razorback basketball they really know is the last two years.

As for them overbuilding BWA, yeah, they probably did, but at the time, there was a waiting list to get season tickets. Hindsight is 20-20.

I'm glad you touched on that. I really like Mike but he hasn't recruited as well overall as Nolan did.

P.S. I was on that waiting list and it didn't take long for them to ask me if I wanted season tickets. That list disappeared in just a few years.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 19, 2015, 02:46:29 pm
I've been a proponent of that on BOTH sides ever since I first saw TN do that. Make both sides Loge seating or at least behind the backboards like the FedEx forum. Call em club seats and get alcohol service there like the club seats in RRS. I am not a fan of black curtains in arenas though. It is obvious why they are there.

I like the idea of the upper deck seats behind the backboards. Those are the seats that don't sell anyways. Make them premium seating with beer and food. Have some that people can rent on a game-by-game basis for large groups, and some for season tickets. It would be a way to reduce seating that is rarely used, but increase revenue.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 19, 2015, 02:53:57 pm
I like the idea of the upper deck seats behind the backboards. Those are the seats that don't sell anyways. Make them premium seating with beer and food. Have some that people can rent on a game-by-game basis for large groups, and some for season tickets. It would be a way to reduce seating that is rarely used, but increase revenue.

ALL the newer NBA arenas that have are built have a lot of Suites AND Loge seating. Loge seating is my favorite. The second level behind one of the backboards in FedEx Forum is Loge seating with a concession and seating area behind it. It is a really great place to watch the game from. The other side behind the backboard has a restaurant and regular seating. There are seats in the restaurant though where you can see the court and watch the game while eating decent food.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 19, 2015, 03:01:38 pm
ALL the newer NBA arenas that have are built have a lot of Suites AND Loge seating. Loge seating is my favorite. The second level behind one of the backboards in FedEx Forum is Loge seating with a concession and seating area behind it. It is a really great place to watch the game from. The other side behind the backboard has a restaurant and regular seating. There are seats in the restaurant though where you can see the court and watch the game while eating decent food.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 19, 2015, 03:04:33 pm

Yep. That's it! I'm thinking you've been there. That gray area behind the scoreboard is the Loge seating I was referring to. It's the best place to watch from. You will also note the two levels of suites. It is one of the beat arena's I've ever been in. My brother in law has Grizz season tickets about ten rows right behind the opponents broadcasters. It is close enough to hear the opposing coaches sometimes. It's just down a few rows and to the left of the Bongo lady they show sometimes if you go to those games. The only thing is the third upper deck level is really steep and far away. I also wish it had more than one concourse or at least a wider one because it can get really crowded (like BWA used to and when full) when the game is over. Oh by the way Memphis High is having a hard time selling tickets except to the big games as well.