Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bright Spots

Started by Breems, November 18, 2015, 09:32:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Breems

Kingsley is actually much better. I figured it was just lesser competition in the first game, but he looks much less reckless and more in control on offense.

I really like how Hannahs plays. He'll struggle against more athletic SEC guards, but it's nice to see a guard that isn't afraid to shoot or take it to the hole. We've had huge problems the past few years with guards that are very passive on offense. Stil lway too much hot potato on the wing, but Hannahs at least moves with purpose.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

jdunhog

They fought hard and really didn't have the horses to get it done.  Akron is a very good team!

Danny J

This team has fight....gotta give that to them. That is half the battle.

thirtythree

Still too early to tell for me. Need a few more games at least.

WBOBO

They miss Anton.  It will get better.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

WBOBO

Anton better get his butt in shape because this season is centered around him and what he brings to the table.  He is a Derek Fisher type player.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

sickboy

Quote from: WBOBO on November 18, 2015, 10:31:49 pm
Anton better get his butt in shape because this season is centered around him and what he brings to the table.  He is a Derek Fisher type player.

Apt comparison.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Breems on November 18, 2015, 09:32:03 pm
Kingsley is actually much better. I figured it was just lesser competition in the first game, but he looks much less reckless and more in control on offense.

I really like how Hannahs plays. He'll struggle against more athletic SEC guards, but it's nice to see a guard that isn't afraid to shoot or take it to the hole. We've had huge problems the past few years with guards that are very passive on offense. Stil lway too much hot potato on the wing, but Hannahs at least moves with purpose.
Sorry, but you have to really be looking to see bright spots from this game.  Bad, Bad shooting. Ugly game.   Like I have wondered all summer where will our points come from on this team.  Hannahs and Bell are pretty easy to guard when they go against the SEC defenses.  They will have a few good games but over all they will struggle. I like Moses on the inside but he is a role player.  We need some guards who can score and take over a game.  Just not there on this team.  I think Beard at PG will help lots because right now we have no one who can attack the rim without TOs.  I am disappointed with Whitt right now.  I thought we would be getting much more from him.  I guess he is a player that will just need some time.

Going to be a long year.   

Mr. Porkleone

theFlyingHog

nwahogfan1 just reminded me that I can block posters.

I'm hoping I can make it to a few games this year. We may not win em all, but I love to watch that hustle

Biggus Piggus

On Ken Pomeroy's site, his box scores break up a game into four segments, as though they play quarters. Funny thing about last night's game: Akron outscored Arkansas 22-14 in the first 10 minutes. After that, it was a draw. Better than you thought, huh?

Best I can tell -- Akron won this game because its unheralding little sophomore point guard from Houston, 5-11, 155-pound Antino Jackson, massively outperformed the guards he played against. Arkansas was trying to force turnovers and managed to extract only 12.

In exchange, the Hogs gave up 13 3-pointers.

Don't know about you, but when the most special thing about an opponent is its outside shooting ... I'd focus the defensive strategy on stopping the outside shooting stuff.

Akron shot 46% from long range (torrid) and 55% inside (en fuego). Arkansas had to work really hard in other aspects of the game to stay close, given the Hogs' poor inside shooting and lack of defense on the shooter.

A defensive strategy that better suits the available players would greatly improve the performance of the Razorbacks, and MA will get the team there eventually. The return of Beard will help, too. Arkansas has serious limitations at the point.
[CENSORED]!

opineonswine

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 19, 2015, 10:25:50 am
On Ken Pomeroy's site, his box scores break up a game into four segments, as though they play quarters. Funny thing about last night's game: Akron outscored Arkansas 22-14 in the first 10 minutes. After that, it was a draw. Better than you thought, huh?

Best I can tell -- Akron won this game because its unheralding little sophomore point guard from Houston, 5-11, 155-pound Antino Jackson, massively outperformed the guards he played against. Arkansas was trying to force turnovers and managed to extract only 12.

In exchange, the Hogs gave up 13 3-pointers.

Don't know about you, but when the most special thing about an opponent is its outside shooting ... I'd focus the defensive strategy on stopping the outside shooting stuff.

Akron shot 46% from long range (torrid) and 55% inside (en fuego). Arkansas had to work really hard in other aspects of the game to stay close, given the Hogs' poor inside shooting and lack of defense on the shooter.

A defensive strategy that better suits the available players would greatly improve the performance of the Razorbacks, and MA will get the team there eventually. The return of Beard will help, too. Arkansas has serious limitations at the point.

They were very good shooters...and not just one guy.  That little quick PG was impressive.  They had multiple weapons...I'd take several of their players..especially that PG.  They have solid players at every spot.  We don't.

code red

Rebounding is an issue too!!
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: opineonswine on November 19, 2015, 10:30:43 am
They were very good shooters...and not just one guy.  That little quick PG was impressive.  They had multiple weapons...I'd take several of their players..especially that PG.  They have solid players at every spot.  We don't.

That was their whole system, test the interior defense, make the D collapse, and kick out to the wing shooter. The little point guard made three treys...the 6-10 power forward made three of 'em...the two wing forwards combined for seven. This system has had problems defending against tall wing shooters since Nolan days.

You know Arkansas's defensive plan isn't working when Akron can play one guard for practically the whole game + get away with it.

And I mean one guard. Not just that Antino Jackson got 39 minutes. But only one other guard got any minutes at all, and he played 6 minutes.

They played three guys who are between 6-6 and 6-7, three guys 6-10 to 6-11, and relied almost exclusively on one guard. Just 12 turnovers in 69 possessions!

Wasn't even a slow-paced game, more of an average tempo. And the point guard did not wear out.

Arkansas's minutes distribution:

33 F Kingsley
30 G Hannahs
30 G Durham
26 G Bell
22 G Whitt
22 F Thompson
19 G Watkins
16 F Miles
2 F Kouassi

Already have a major issue visible here: The best defenders played the least minutes. The poor defenders were among the leaders in minutes. The leader in steals for the Hogs was Kingsley, not a guard.

Miles is Arkansas's only player in that 6-7 size range, and he was very unproductive against the Akron wings + didn't get many minutes. The Hogs should have been able to outquick the Zips at many positions, but it didn't happen. Thompson played a lot for size but still is feeling his way on defense. Kouassi simply doesn't figure into the mix yet.

MA seemed concerned with the Hogs' ability to trade baskets. He could not find a combination that could make shots and stops too. The bench is much shorter than he is used to having. Not enough bench to wear down an opponent. That means it will be harder to get players to give max effort on defense.

It's November, and Arkansas is already giving 30 minutes to a no-D guard (and a no-score point guard too). This is not the finished product.
[CENSORED]!

010HogFan

I wouldn't take too much away from this game. Akron was pretty good. Much better than the Clemson team we lost to last year.

Hawg Red

Not surprised or upset at all by last night's game. Well, I guess I'm upset in the most basic sense that I don't want my team to lose. But Akron is a really good mid-major school. Their coach has been there for a while and they've won 20 or more games for past decade. That's the kind the of team that can come into BWA early in the season and pick this inexperienced group off. Obviously we gave up way too many open 3s and they made us play, but our kids didn't quit. Even when there was less than 30 seconds left and it was obvious we weren't going to win....they were still playing like they could.

I gotta say -- I'm okay with it. It's not a big deal to me. My expectations were not high at all for this season because I knew (yes, I KNEW) we'd struggle this season. No, I need to see them play together first and all of those things other posters were saying. This is not a group that is going to win 20 games in the regular season. There's a pretty big talent deficiency on this roster. No way around it. But it what it is. They're still playing hard. They'll get better. I think we've talked and argued about how we got to this talent deficiency until we were all blue in the face. Doesn't matter now. This isn't the first game this season we'll lose to a team we "should" beat. Let's see how they respond and what they learn from it.

Moses is definitely a bright spot. Even showed a couple polished-looking moves. I'm concerned he may make a big enough jump to sneak into the back end of the 1st round and get drafted. We really need him back next year, and I think it'll be good for him to come back and develop more. But he's looking pretty good. 19.5 PPG, 12.2 RPG, 3 BPG, 2.5 SPG, 2 APG and shooting 65% from the field. It doesn't look pretty, and it makes you uncomfortable, but he can actually handle the ball a little bit. Might as well let him continue to develop that this season.

Bell and Hannahs are fun to watch on the court together. Loved that run where Dusty pump faked from 3, almost pulled up for a long 2 and saw Bell in the corner and hit him for a big 3. Awesome. Both of them hit some nice little floaters in the paint, too. We'll call them the NWA version of the Splash Brothers.

Durham is scared to do anything other than shoot a wide open 3 when it comes to scoring. Can be a liability at times. And that new frat brand on his arm is super-gross. He's still contributing, though. He is what he is.

Jimmy Whitt is struggling thus far. Shot is very ugly. He'll get it figured out, though. He's not backing down from it.

Trey had a good game last year. Need that confidence to keep building.

razorsharp94

run them off the 3 point line and we win it's that simple.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: razorsharp94 on November 19, 2015, 10:59:23 am
run them off the 3 point line and we win it's that simple.

Did you ever think you would see a Mike Anderson-coached team be unable to wear out a point guard who plays 39 minutes at our place? This was an opponent with essentially one guard. Arkansas's defensive plan was to wear him out. Gave up 13 threes and 40% offensive rebounding to get 12 turnovers.
[CENSORED]!

The_Iceman

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 19, 2015, 10:49:02 am
You know Arkansas's defensive plan isn't working when Akron can play one guard for practically the whole game + get away with it.

And I mean one guard. Not just that Antino Jackson got 39 minutes. But only one other guard got any minutes at all, and he played 6 minutes.

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 19, 2015, 11:04:10 am
Did you ever think you would see a Mike Anderson-coached team be unable to wear out a point guard who plays 39 minutes at our place? This was an opponent with essentially one guard. Arkansas's defensive plan was to wear him out. Gave up 13 threes and 40% offensive rebounding to get 12 turnovers.

That is where we missed Beard. Durham and Beard together could have ran that kid all night. We just don't have the depth.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 19, 2015, 11:35:53 am
That is where we missed Beard. Durham and Beard together could have ran that kid all night. We just don't have the depth.

I keep leaving Beard out of the unexpected surprises for this season. Yup, Beard's absence is a big deal too. It would even be nice to have that skill-challenged power forward who transferred to the Borough.
[CENSORED]!

PonderinHog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 19, 2015, 11:37:17 am
I keep leaving Beard out of the unexpected surprises for this season. Yup, Beard's absence is a big deal too. It would even be nice to have that skill-challenged power forward who transferred to the Borough.
One month away.

Southern Hogspitality

I don't think Beard will make the impact everyone thinks he will.  Last year he was the number 3 option to guard this year he will be one or two.  Either way a taller and athletic defender will shut him down.  He will have a hard time shooting over most defenders and he doesn't have a great first step.  I think this is going to be a long season and next year might be too. 

It is my opinion but I think we need a changing of the guard.  I am getting frustrated seeing how well Auburn and Mississippi State are doing on the recruiting trail.  While we have lost our best in state talent the last two years.  What frustrates me even more is I can't say I blame them.  If I was Monk and had a legitimate chance to play in the NBA I would want to play for a coach who would get me ready for the NBA game.  That being said I like Bobby Portis even more now, he always wanted to be a Hog and I am thankful he was one. 

I hope I am wrong and we some how get to the NIT.  Go Hogs!

wheelspigharvey

So this a sort of optimist thread so here goes.  What needs to happen to get on the bubble and at least make the NIT?  How many wins do we need by the end and how many losses can we handle before conference play starts?

sickboy

Quote from: Southern Hogspitality on November 19, 2015, 08:01:38 pm
I don't think Beard will make the impact everyone thinks he will.  Last year he was the number 3 option to guard this year he will be one or two.  Either way a taller and athletic defender will shut him down.  He will have a hard time shooting over most defenders and he doesn't have a great first step.  I think this is going to be a long season and next year might be too. 

It is my opinion but I think we need a changing of the guard.  I am getting frustrated seeing how well Auburn and Mississippi State are doing on the recruiting trail.  While we have lost our best in state talent the last two years.  What frustrates me even more is I can't say I blame them.  If I was Monk and had a legitimate chance to play in the NBA I would want to play for a coach who would get me ready for the NBA game.  That being said I like Bobby Portis even more now, he always wanted to be a Hog and I am thankful he was one. 

I hope I am wrong and we some how get to the NIT.  Go Hogs!

I think you're flat out missing the point of Anton Beard's game. That kid makes things happen and he's a good defender. We don't need him to be Allen Iverson and score 30 points/game, because that's not what he does. He's going to create opportunities for other players and take it on the chin when he needs to get inside to dish off to Bell/Hannahs outside or Kingsley down low. We're fine if he's getting the occasional open three -- which he's more than adequate at. Someone else made the Derrick Fisher comparison -- that's Anton Beard.

And he will absolutely help this team.

Right now would literally be the absolute worst time to change coaches, for myriad reasons. If we can weather this year, the snowball is going to start picking up some speed. Killing it now makes zero sense.

Southern Hogspitality

Quote from: sickboy on November 19, 2015, 08:23:23 pm
I think you're flat out missing the point of Anton Beard's game. That kid makes things happen and he's a good defender. We don't need him to be Allen Iverson and score 30 points/game, because that's not what he does. He's going to create opportunities for other players and take it on the chin when he needs to get inside to dish off to Bell/Hannahs outside or Kingsley down low. We're fine if he's getting the occasional open three -- which he's more than adequate at. Someone else made the Derrick Fisher comparison -- that's Anton Beard.

And he will absolutely help this team.

Right now would literally be the absolute worst time to change coaches, for myriad reasons. If we can weather this year, the snowball is going to start picking up some speed. Killing it now makes zero sense.
I know Beard isn't going to be an Allen Iverson type player.  And your are right he is a tough gritty player and I like him.  I just think without two really good players like Qualls and Portis to distribute the ball to, it isn't going to be an easy year for him.  I think necessity and competitiveness will make him try to step up and be a scorer and that will take him out of his game.

Why would now be one of the worst times to change coaches?  We are about to have one of our worst seasons in 5 years. I don't think we will win more than 14 games this year.  And just because we have a bunch of high rated JUCOs signed for next year doesn't mean they will play well or all make it here.  If you get a good coach it is likely they would consider staying.  So when do you pull the plug?  After 4 more years of mediocrity and maybe one NCAA appearance?  Now if Mike was tearing up the recruiting trail like Auburn, Mississippi State or Alabama or willing to make some adjustments to how he coaches and plays ball I wouldn't be as concerned. 

However unless a miracle happens we will have 1 NCAA appearance in 5 years and that is not acceptable to me, not with our history, our facilities and the amount of money we are paying.  I would love to eat crow at the end of the year and be completely wrong but I don't see how at this point.

hawginbigd1

Beard will help immensely, even then this team will struggle for this simple reason, the players who can actually score will play the most minutes and they represent an average defense at best! Not good, average at the very best! Roster is void of the talent it takes to compete in the SEC! And Hannahs is by FAR the best recruit of 2015, and looks like the only one that will make meaningful contributions!

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on November 19, 2015, 09:12:49 pm
Beard will help immensely, even then this team will struggle for this simple reason, the players who can actually score will play the most minutes and they represent an average defense at best! Not good, average at the very best! Roster is void of the talent it takes to compete in the SEC! And Hannahs is by FAR the best recruit of 2015, and looks like the only one that will make meaningful contributions!

Living in Texas can be debilitating to the mind. You need to come back home.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 20, 2015, 10:11:37 am
Living in Texas can be debilitating to the mind. You need to come back home.
I agree 100 ;D

The_Iceman

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on November 19, 2015, 09:12:49 pm

Hannahs was essentially like bringing in a 4-star JUCO recruit (comparable to Macon) in the 2015 class. I think he is more ready to contribute than Whitt honestly, but we will get at least 3 years out of Whitt, if not 4. I agree that he is the best right now.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 20, 2015, 12:47:40 pm
Hannahs was essentially like bringing in a 4-star JUCO recruit (comparable to Macon) in the 2015 class. I think he is more ready to contribute than Whitt honestly, but we will get at least 3 years out of Whitt, if not 4. I agree that he is the best right now.

True but Whitt will make meaningful contributions this season. He already has.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 20, 2015, 01:04:19 pm
True but Whitt will make meaningful contributions this season. He already has.
Not sure he has in my book, I hope you are right about the future, he doesn't appear to be the savior that many hyped him to be. It may just be Freshmanitis, or whatever, but Beard looked way more impressive in his early time last year than Whitt has. I thought he would be much quicker and dynamic than what i have seen, it is clear from his minutes that MA don't feel like he is going to give us our best shot to win.

TomBigBeeHog

Whitt is adjusting to the more physical nature of the college game. Wasn't much of a problem for him in high school but now he is finding the going a little tougher. Some of it is mental and I think he will get there. Only been two games. Give him a chance.