Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kids who have stayed vs Kids who have left.

Started by Razorhogger, November 18, 2015, 01:22:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorhogger

I have been thinking about this and have brought it up to some friends of mine to see if my thinking is correct.  I will admit that I don't have the best memory so let me know if I am leaving someone out that would need to go on either list.  I have been trying to think of all the highly recruited kids that have come out of our state and played for the hogs the last several years and comparing their college and pro careers to those who left. 

The ones that stayed that jump out at me are: Joe Johnson, Ronnie Brewer, Portis, Darren McFadden, Matt Jones, Joe Adams, Brandon Allen (I know he wasn't recruited as hard as others due to his hard early commitment and his dad.), Hunter Henry, and I am sure there are others. 

Some kids that have chosen other schools but then found their way back home to only then become successful would be: Ryan Mallett and Broderick Green. (And probably others.)

The Williams kid from Springdale that started here but left and went to USC as a wide out had a good career and played/ or plays in the NFL.  I am struggling to remember anyone else who left and had a memorable career.  Goodwin is in the NBA but is getting minimal minutes and production.  I think of Altee Tenpenny who has had nothing but trouble.  The D-lineman from Springdale that went to Bama.......who doesn't play much if any.  The QB that went to Auburn from Shiloh who was a bust.  And the running back that went to Auburn, then Louisville. (I told you that I had a bad memory.  I can't remember their names.)

It seems to me that when Arkansas Kids stay home they have a much higher success rate.

Is there something to this?  Am I just forgetting a bunch of kids since they left and we as a state tend to not keep up with them once gone?

BRHogfan

PonderinHog

Add Dominique Reed to the "came back and flourished" list.

Razorhogger

I almost put Reed on the list but didn't think there was quite enough evidence yet.  I do like the way it is headed tho.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Razorhogger on November 18, 2015, 02:13:06 pm
I almost put Reed on the list but didn't think there was quite enough evidence yet.  I do like the way it is headed tho.
I'm went ahead and gave him the benefit of the doubt. 

gmarv

scruf

PonderinHog

hammy davis jr

Deangelo Williams had a pretty high success rate

BigD94

WOO PIG!

whosiskid

I think Malik is too good not to be successful. It is just that his career will be irrelevant to a huge number of Hog fans. The ONLY way I will ever care about Monk's career will be if my Chicago Bulls somehow end up with him. But I'm hoping that someone like the Clippers or Jazz get him, teams that don't show up on TV, so that I don't have to watch him.

But as a rule players who leave don't do that well. They don't get the emotional support that people who stay in the state do. Kentucky fans will follow him with some interest, but they won't lavish the concern on him that Hog fans would have.

Players who go out of state alienate their natural fan base. Unless Monk does exceptionally well as a pro and cultivates new fans on the NBA level, he now has no fanbase and the one that he gains at Kentucky will be ephemeral. One reason is that too many players flow through Lexington. He'll be one and done and next year Kentucky fans will have turned their attention to the next one-and-done crowd.

But had Malik stayed instate, he'd have had an entire state that would have followed his career with rapt attention. Now I simply don't care. More, I will go out of my way not to see Malik play.

It is the nature of the beast. No player of any state has EVER gone out of stay and retained the support of his homestate. Take Michael Jordan. He retained the love of North Carolinians by playing at UNC. Had he gone to Kansas, they would have hated him.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

mizzouman

Quote from: Razorhogger on November 18, 2015, 01:22:14 pm
I have been thinking about this and have brought it up to some friends of mine to see if my thinking is correct.  I will admit that I don't have the best memory so let me know if I am leaving someone out that would need to go on either list.  I have been trying to think of all the highly recruited kids that have come out of our state and played for the hogs the last several years and comparing their college and pro careers to those who left. 

The ones that stayed that jump out at me are: Joe Johnson, Ronnie Brewer, Portis, Darren McFadden, Matt Jones, Joe Adams, Brandon Allen (I know he wasn't recruited as hard as others due to his hard early commitment and his dad.), Hunter Henry, and I am sure there are others. 

Some kids that have chosen other schools but then found their way back home to only then become successful would be: Ryan Mallett and Broderick Green. (And probably others.)

The Williams kid from Springdale that started here but left and went to USC as a wide out had a good career and played/ or plays in the NFL.  I am struggling to remember anyone else who left and had a memorable career.  Goodwin is in the NBA but is getting minimal minutes and production.  I think of Altee Tenpenny who has had nothing but trouble.  The D-lineman from Springdale that went to Bama.......who doesn't play much if any.  The QB that went to Auburn from Shiloh who was a bust.  And the running back that went to Auburn, then Louisville. (I told you that I had a bad memory.  I can't remember their names.)

It seems to me that when Arkansas Kids stay home they have a much higher success rate.

Is there something to this?  Am I just forgetting a bunch of kids since they left and we as a state tend to not keep up with them once gone?

Are you talking success in college or pros?  I would argue that the list you gave, only Joe Johnson had any real success in the pros and he has had a lot.  McFadden has had a very good NFL career but nothing like he had in college.  Ronnie Brewer, really?  Portis, too early to tell.  Matt Jones, bad NFL career.  Joe Adam, I don't think so and won't comment yet on Allen and Henry.

You also convenient left out Willaims, which I think someone else brought up and Keith Jackson.  I'm sure there are others.

98hogs

Reed had to go to Junior COllege. He always wanted to be a Hog and sure is better than K J Hill

lstewart

It is true that for an in state star staying and playing for the Hogs that they have more attention, and future lasting fame. You might argue that some of them don't really want that. Monk has been a state media star for almost 3 years now.... everything he does is dissected and he gets constant attention. Maybe he decided he does not like it, and would prefer to just be "another player" at Kentucky without all the expectations and attention. Being a state level fame and fortune rock star is not all positive. Wish he would have signed with the Hogs, but did not really expect him to.

Eddie Goodson

Who was the kid that took KU over UA and flamed out at KU? Cannot remember his name now.
"I already won the lottery. I was born in the US of A, baby. And as backup, I have a Swiss passport." — Creed Bratton

hawg IQ

Quote from: Razorhogger on November 18, 2015, 01:22:14 pm

All those years of nothing happening since NR left is the picture kids like Malik Monk sees. Here's the deal, if he don't want be a razorback, we don't want him. Let him fly in his own little zone. He will get no respect in his home state by most.
           But really all those years of a beat down program has left a mark.  I think MA is the right man, but he has to step up recruiting big time. The other issue is when we have people that have decent talent , we shoo them off to pros in JR years, Why ? Kentuck can do that because they are big blue, we can't, we lose a guy like a B Portis and we cannot compete for 2-3 years ?? we got to get better talent and keep them here when we do.
go hogs go !

HawgWild

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on November 19, 2015, 08:15:12 am
Who was the kid that took KU over UA and flamed out at KU? Cannot remember his name now.

I'm guessing you're referring to Hunter Mickleson.

J-Five

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on November 19, 2015, 08:15:12 am

I believe you're talking about Nicky Bradford.  He went to Fayetteville High School and went to Kansas afterward.  I believe he was there in the early-mid 90's
"If the person you're criticizing is doing it better than you are, close your mouth"

cityhog

I haven't seen anyone mention this in regards to the 'state loyalty' discussion. I think we were all pinning our hopes on Marcus being the tipping point with Malik because Marcus was a razorback. However, I submit that Malik moving to Bentonville may have played a role in this decision as well.

I had the opportunity last year to speak to the top academic students (some of which were also the top athletes) at BHS. Much to my surprise, out of the 30 students exactly 1 student was attending college in Arkansas - and that young lady was headed to OBU.

Bentonville is a land of transplants because of Walmart and the supplier community. There is zero connection to the state of Arkansas with 90% of these families and kids. To that end the U of A is viewed almost as a community college choice among the best and brightest there.

Malik very well could have been influenced by this mentality. Staying home I think is viewed as 'less than' at that school. Couple that with what appears to be Marcus' desire to enter the agent world (plus can we REALLY ever know that he holds a grudge against Nutt and the UofA) made for the ideal situation for Monk to head to KY.

Well known I'm not a MA fan, but this one isn't on him. He did everything he could to get Malik, but he never really had a chance to begin with.

Razorhogger

Quote from: mizzouman on November 19, 2015, 07:47:16 am

You also convenient left out Willaims, which I think someone else brought up and Keith Jackson.  I'm sure there are others.

I didn't "conveniently" leave out Williams.  I clearly asked the question for people to add to any of the lists as I couldn't remember all of them........but I hope you feel better. 

Williams didn't come to mind but is an obvious one to put into the list of those that left the state and have had great success in college and pros. 

DeltaBoy

Keith Jackson left and he came back but I mute him every time he is on the Radio or TV.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

MountieDawg

Keith Lee and Micheal Cage from West Memphis went to Memphis State and San Diego State and had very good careers.
Ray Brown from Marion went to Arkansas State and played around 20 years in the NFL.
Scottie Pippen UCA ad pretty good NBA career.
Derrick Fisher UALR did pretty good.
Priest Holmes Ft Smith. University of Texas good NFL career
Fat Lever Pine Bluff.  Arizona State. NBA career
Cortez Kennedy Rivercrest.  Miami Hurricanes great NFL career

SEC!

TexomaRazorback

Monk will be irrelevant at Kentucky.  Callipari just didn't want him at Arkansas

Quote from: whosiskid on November 18, 2015, 10:42:54 pm
I think Malik is too good not to be successful. It is just that his career will be irrelevant to a huge number of Hog fans. The ONLY way I will ever care about Monk's career will be if my Chicago Bulls somehow end up with him. But I'm hoping that someone like the Clippers or Jazz get him, teams that don't show up on TV, so that I don't have to watch him.

But as a rule players who leave don't do that well. They don't get the emotional support that people who stay in the state do. Kentucky fans will follow him with some interest, but they won't lavish the concern on him that Hog fans would have.

Players who go out of state alienate their natural fan base. Unless Monk does exceptionally well as a pro and cultivates new fans on the NBA level, he now has no fanbase and the one that he gains at Kentucky will be ephemeral. One reason is that too many players flow through Lexington. He'll be one and done and next year Kentucky fans will have turned their attention to the next one-and-done crowd.

But had Malik stayed instate, he'd have had an entire state that would have followed his career with rapt attention. Now I simply don't care. More, I will go out of my way not to see Malik play.

It is the nature of the beast. No player of any state has EVER gone out of stay and retained the support of his homestate. Take Michael Jordan. He retained the love of North Carolinians by playing at UNC. Had he gone to Kansas, they would have hated him.

FATHAWG08

Quote from: TexomaRazorback on November 22, 2015, 09:29:34 pm
Monk will be irrelevant at Kentucky.  Callipari just didn't want him at Arkansas
Jackie Harris PB Dollarway. Great career with Green Bay
I love off season Football!!

reddogjcss

Monk who? What was he? Who was he? Can't say I know the kid or care to!