Started by The_Iceman, November 18, 2015, 01:22:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

Barford / Beard
Hannahs / Macon
Whitt / Watkins / Jenkins
Cook / Thomas / Bailey
Kingsley / Thompson

Just an assumption on the lineups, of course that is subject to change. Very solid roster. If we can start out by landing Gafford (6'10" Center committed), Garland (6'4" SG from LR), and SK Shittu (6'9" Forward from Rogers) just from in state, our 2017 roster will be solid as well. Throw in a transfer and/or a couple JUCO's, and that class will be good.

Hogimus Prime

IMO it could use a PF/C type more than a guard. That 5 spot is thin with Kingsley and Thompson.

Breems

We need talented bigs and then we're set. Our backcourt is looking pretty solid.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on November 18, 2015, 01:25:05 pm
IMO it could use a PF/C type more than a guard. That 5 spot is thin with Kingsley and Thompson.

Yeah, I thought about that. But we have Gafford committed for 2017 already. I think Kingsley and Thompson could hold down the 5 spot for one year, especially with the guards we will have.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Breems on November 18, 2015, 01:25:59 pm
We need talented bigs and then we're set. Our backcourt is looking pretty solid.

I think the 4 and 5 spots look pretty good to me.

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 18, 2015, 01:26:02 pm
Yeah, I thought about that. But we have Gafford committed for 2017 already. I think Kingsley and Thompson could hold down the 5 spot for one year, especially with the guards we will have.

Still will just have two 5's then and I know Vanover is huge possibilty but he'd be replacing Thompson.  Really need another 5 for depth.

The_Iceman

Just a reminder for those who don't know much about Dustin Thomas. Colorado's sluggish offense didn't let his talent shine. I think he will do great in our system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17ScirVlzHk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUXrvBMNyKM

Danny J

We need better low post players. Need to go out and try to fill a couple of spots with legit bigs. Not projects but guys who show the ability to score down low from day one.

Hawg Red

We have two spots to use, or one if they decide to keep Manny on scholarship as a senior. I'd like to see them go after a forward in the late period and a transfer. Kahron Ross would be my first choice for players from Arkansas looking to come back. Second choice would be IJ Ready if, for some reason, he were to leave Mississippi State. I know they have a lot of talent coming, so I don't know if Howland will be looking to shed any of Ray's players. FWIW, Ready is off to a good start this season so maybe he sticks around. He'd only have one year of eligibility if he did transfer since he's a junior. But I think he'd do well in our system.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 18, 2015, 01:46:49 pm
We have two spots to use, or one if they decide to keep Manny on scholarship as a senior. I'd like to see them go after a forward in the late period and a transfer. Kahron Ross would be my first choice for players from Arkansas looking to come back. Second choice would be IJ Ready if, for some reason, he were to leave Mississippi State. I know they have a lot of talent coming, so I don't know if Howland will be looking to shed any of Ray's players. FWIW, Ready is off to a good start this season so maybe he sticks around. He'd only have one year of eligibility if he did transfer since he's a junior. But I think he'd do well in our system.

I don't think IJ Ready will be leaving. But I do like the idea of getting Ross to transfer. If he transferred at the end of the season, he would sit out the 2016 season and be ready for 2017. Beard would be a senior and he would be a junior. That's two good PG's.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3130563/kahron-ross

The_Iceman

I saw yesterday where we are recruiting a Darius Hall out of Little Rock for the 2017 class as well. Hes a 6'5" guard/forward. So between Gafford, Garland, Shittu, and Hall....we could have a great class with all in-state kids.

-Blu

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 18, 2015, 01:22:06 pm
Barford / Beard
Hannahs / Macon
Cook / Thomas / Bailey
Kingsley / Thompson

Just an assumption on the lineups, of course that is subject to change. Very solid roster. If we can start out by landing Gafford (6'10" Center committed), Garland (6'4" SG from LR), and SK Shittu (6'9" Forward from Rogers) just from in state, our 2017 roster will be solid as well. Throw in a transfer and/or a couple JUCO's, and that class will be good.

Looks very solid too me.  And I'm on the ship of we don't really need another big.  Kingsley will play close to 30 minutes per game his senior year, and Thompson will get the leftover minutes at the 5 spot. And we should be very competitive at the 4 spot between Cook, Thomas, and Bailey.  I think it's going to be an interesting battle to see who wins the starting spot between Cook and Thomas.

With that last scholarship, I've mentioned it a few times, but Kahron Ross is my first choice as well to transfer here.

hawginbigd1

I would like a freshman Coty Clarke, a combo forward. Our 5 is covered IMO until 18.

The_Iceman

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on November 18, 2015, 03:18:57 pm
I would like a freshman Coty Clarke, a combo forward. Our 5 is covered IMO until 18.

Not a freshman, but Dustin Thomas has that kind of skill. He was an excellent shooter in high school, but Colorado didn't let their 4's shoot outside much.

Marshfieldhog

It's a decent lineup but not one that would make noise in the NCAA tourney. Losing Monk is a killer, blame it on whoever but we had to land him and we didn't.

Danny J

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 18, 2015, 03:20:49 pm
Not a freshman, but Dustin Thomas has that kind of skill. He was an excellent shooter in high school, but Colorado didn't let their 4's shoot outside much.
We have plenty of shooters. We need guys to be able to post up down low and get rebounds. Cook may not even be eligible and even then he is not a low post banger. We are going to get manhandled down low in the paint both this year and next unless we can fill that need. Hell...I am not a fan of Dudley but the first thing he said on the radio today was we need to sign a couple more big's down low to bang. We have plenty of guards and shooters but to think that Moses and TT are going to be sufficient down low along with Thomas and Bailey is just crazy IMHO.

sickboy

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 18, 2015, 01:22:06 pm
Barford / Beard
Hannahs / Macon
Cook / Thomas / Bailey
Kingsley / Thompson

This is a really solid foundation. Having two point guards of that caliber (Barford/Beard) is going to be huge. If Whitt can click, and I think he can, then that team is going to do well.

Hopefully we can snowball that into 2017 and those guys you mentioned in-state pan out.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Danny J on November 18, 2015, 10:15:42 pm
We have plenty of shooters. We need guys to be able to post up down low and get rebounds. Cook may not even be eligible and even then he is not a low post banger. We are going to get manhandled down low in the paint both this year and next unless we can fill that need. Hell...I am not a fan of Dudley but the first thing he said on the radio today was we need to sign a couple more big's down low to bang. We have plenty of guards and shooters but to think that Moses and TT are going to be sufficient down low along with Thomas and Bailey is just crazy IMHO.

That's not what Mike prefers. He prefers posts like Moses that can block shots and run the floor, and PF's like Cook and Thomas and Bailey that are matchup problems for other teams. He values that over banging and rebounding, not that size particularly determines rebounds.

Danny J

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 19, 2015, 06:28:58 am
That's not what Mike prefers. He prefers posts like Moses that can block shots and run the floor, and PF's like Cook and Thomas and Bailey that are matchup problems for other teams. He values that over banging and rebounding, not that size particularly determines rebounds.
I know he prefers those guys and that is ok but those guys who are slight of build have to be strong and very talented to make up for their build. We are not going to compete for final fours or elite 8's or whatever with guys like Thomas, Thompson and Kingsley. I am not bashing them just stating their limitations. We are not always going to be able to go up and down the court as was witnessed last night. Games like that we need to be able to throw it down low like we did last year with Portis. We need true low post scorers. Need at least one true low post back to the basket player. Doesn't need to be a 6'11" 250 pound guy but it needs to be somebody capable of forcing the D to collapse or make them pay if they don't collapse.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Danny J on November 19, 2015, 09:39:16 am
I know he prefers those guys and that is ok but those guys who are slight of build have to be strong and very talented to make up for their build. We are not going to compete for final fours or elite 8's or whatever with guys like Thomas, Thompson and Kingsley. I am not bashing them just stating their limitations. We are not always going to be able to go up and down the court as was witnessed last night. Games like that we need to be able to throw it down low like we did last year with Portis. We need true low post scorers. Need at least one true low post back to the basket player. Doesn't need to be a 6'11" 250 pound guy but it needs to be somebody capable of forcing the D to collapse or make them pay if they don't collapse.

First, Thompson and Kingsley are not the problem. The fact that Thompson is having to play out of position is. He should be backing up Kingsley at the 5, instead of running around like a Mike Anderson 4. But Kingsley had a very good game last night.

Second, the 4-spot is key for Mike's system. Miles and Thompson simply aren't good enough to make it work. Thomas, Cook, and Bailey are big improvements over those 2 at that spot. While, Thompson is a big improvement over the limited Kouassi as Kingsley's backup.

Lastly, we are seriously lacking for depth at the 3 guard spots. Mike won't adjust his system even when that depth is lacking. It is going to wear this team down by the end of the year. Two of our starting guards (Whitt and Durham) combined for 1-9 shooting, 10 points, 7 rebounds, and 7 assists. Thankfully, our two shooters (Bell and Hannahs) gave us 39 points combined, but on 12-31 shooting. We need talented depth to be added at guard, and we should be getting that in 2016 with Macon and Barford, and Whitt a year improved.

My concern is, that as that roster stands now, it is not that much better than the 2014 team that only got to the 2nd round of the tournament. With the SEC improving, if Mike can't get this team past the 2nd round in year 6, after not making the postseason in year 5 (lets be real, we aren't), is that really enough to justify keeping him around?

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 19, 2015, 09:58:16 am
With the SEC improving, if Mike can't get this team past the 2nd round in year 6, after not making the postseason in year 5 (lets be real, we aren't), is that really enough to justify keeping him around?

All roads lead back to CMA getting fired somewhere down the road with you lately (close to a year now). But what if CMA finds a couple more players in this class in the spring to address some of those issues and leads us to a sweet sixteen, Should he get a raise and a new 7 year deal? Easy to play what ifs with both positive and negative scenarios.

2016 recruiting was awful in your mind a few months ago, then we brought in a great haul that even impressed you(even though you have an inside information from the athletic dept that our staff doesn't know how to recruit). But then, Malik happened and things went dark in your world again. Now, even though you admitted that the staff did a great job in bringing in Barford, Macon, Cook and Bailey, you are not sure that they can find a couple more players to complete what we need to build a team that can win some games in the tourney. What gives man?
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

The_Iceman

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 19, 2015, 11:36:47 am
All roads lead back to CMA getting fired somewhere down the road with you lately (close to a year now). But what if CMA finds a couple more players in this class in the spring to address some of those issues and leads us to a sweet sixteen, Should he get a raise and a new 7 year deal? Easy to play what ifs with both positive and negative scenarios.

Of course if Mike were able to lead us to the Sweet 16 next year he would be fine. But when you look at the roster I laid out, does that point to a team better than the team led by Qualls and Portis? I see an NCAA team, but a deep run team? Probably not. But we will see because Mike isn't going anywhere until then anyway. My point is, if it doesn't get to the Sweet 16, should we keep him? Look at what Turgeon and Kruger are doing at Maryland and Oklahoma in their year 5's...ranked #3 and #8 in the country, while Mike is going to miss the postseason completely.

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 19, 2015, 11:36:47 am
2016 recruiting was awful in your mind a few months ago, then we brought in a great haul that even impressed you(even though you have an inside information from the athletic dept that our staff doesn't know how to recruit). But then, Malik happened and things went dark in your world again. Now, even though you admitted that the staff did a great job in bringing in Barford, Macon, Cook and Bailey, you are not sure that they can find a couple more players to complete what we need to build a team that can win some games in the tourney. What gives man?

This class was good enough to get us back to the NCAA Tournament when combined with Kingsley, Hannahs, Whitt, Beard, and Dustin Thomas. If we were going to make a deep Elite 8 type run, we really needed Malik Monk to cap off the class.

As of now, there aren't any targets Mike is on that can impact the 2016 class, except maybe a Micah Thomas. For me, when we hired Mike, years 5 thru 7 were supposed to be when Mike had this thing rolling. He would have all his guys in, his classes in prime position for development and experience, and we would making runs in tournament every year. I expected us to be about where Lon Kruger has OU right now. Instead, we have to sit through what is going to be a pitiful 2015-2016 season, hoping that 3 JUCO's come in a revive our program.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 19, 2015, 12:13:24 pm
My point is, if it doesn't get to the Sweet 16, should we keep him? Look at what Turgeon and Kruger are doing at Maryland and Oklahoma in their year 5's...ranked #3 and #8 in the country, while Mike is going to miss the postseason completely.

How about looking at the overall direction of the program in 2016 after CMA has had a chance to address some of the unexpected setbacks of the past 9 months instead of using these arbitrary standards that you make up from day to day depending on what you think may or may not happen. As to Turgeon and Kruger, their situations are different. We don't have the fan support here and there were other intangibles like only just now getting a practice facility. Don't know what would have happened if they were here but CMA is a good coach and is bringing in some good talent to coincide with the upgrade in facilities. Seems like that helped with this class and may continue to do so in future classes (already have Gafford committed). Could you see that happening?

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 19, 2015, 12:13:24 pmAs of now, there aren't any targets Mike is on that can impact the 2016 class, except maybe a Micah Thomas. For me, when we hired Mike, years 5 thru 7 were supposed to be when Mike had this thing rolling. He would have all his guys in, his classes in prime position for development and experience, and we would making runs in tournament every year. I expected us to be about where Lon Kruger has OU right now. Instead, we have to sit through what is going to be a pitiful 2015-2016 season, hoping that 3 JUCO's come in a revive our program.

You speculate that CMA isn't on any targets that can impact the 2016 class as if it were a fact but we both know that you don't know anything about that so no need to refute that comment.

CMA was on schedule to have things rolling this year but there were some unexpected setbacks. Cry all you want. It is what it is. We are moving forward and the early signing period class is going to be a big part of that. We have two more scholarships to give and I believe we have a shot to get another Coty Clarke type (whose signing a lot of people pooh poohed initially). Gonna be nice to see you back on board when we bounce back next year.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

The_Iceman

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 19, 2015, 12:42:38 pm
You speculate that CMA isn't on any targets that can impact the 2016 class as if it were a fact but we both know that you don't know anything about that so no need to refute that comment.

You mean he might be able to add a Lorenzo Jenkins or Willy Kouassi in the late signing period? Oh my, I'm giddy. But for those of us who follow recruiting, we know there aren't any significant names left.
http://arkansas.247sports.com/Season/2016-Basketball/Targets
http://arkansas.247sports.com/Season/2016-Basketball/Offers

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 19, 2015, 12:42:38 pm
CMA was on schedule to have things rolling this year but there were some unexpected setbacks. Cry all you want. It is what it is. We are moving forward and the early signing period class is going to be a big part of that. We have two more scholarships to give and I believe we have a shot to get another Coty Clarke type (whose signing a lot of people pooh poohed initially). Gonna be nice to see you back on board when we bounce back next year.

I will be back on board next year and I expect to be. But I am not going to sit idly by apathetically and say that Mike is doing a good job right now. He mishandled the 2015 recruiting class. He mishandled Nick Babb. He didn't land the best in-state player we've seen since Corliss. He apparently didn't recruit Kevaughn Allen very well either. And now, season ticket holders are asked to throw thousands of dollars away for this season because Mike suffered a few "setbacks". This is year 5 for Mike and I am tired of excuses.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 19, 2015, 01:18:32 pm
I will be back on board next year and I expect to be. But I am not going to sit idly by apathetically and say that Mike is doing a good job right now.

You expect to be back on board next year? Well that's news to me considering that you have been laying out all the reasons why you won't be on board in every post including this one. Also no one has accused you of sitting idly by, your fingers have been far from idle as they type out thoughts faster than your brain can process them.

Take a chill pill Ice. We are as disappointed with the hiccups in the road over the past few months as you are but its not all gloom and doom. And by the way, could you condense your repetitive critiques and put them in your sig line. That way you won't have to repeat yourself another 50 million times while derailing threads.

The_Iceman

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on November 19, 2015, 01:43:31 pm
You expect to be back on board next year? Well that's news to me considering that you have been laying out all the reasons why you won't be on board in every post including this one. Also no one has accused you of sitting idly by, your fingers have been far from idle as they type out thoughts faster than your brain can process them.

What are our expectations for a Mike Anderson led program? I remember writing mine down on here a few years ago. I don't think anyone had "Failure to Make Postseason" anywhere after year 4.

I know the message board world is used to people picking a darkside or support side and sticking with that until the coach is done. I'm not that way. My support is fluid and I re-evaluate constantly.

I'm satisfied with the roster he is putting together for 2016. It doesn't excuse the 2015 season, and it certainly won't be as good as it should have been considering the instate talent he had here recently (Monk, Allen, Curry), but it is good. My question is for the fanbase: what results will we be satisfied with? Because if we don't make it to the sweet 16 or further in 2016 and 2017, I know 7 year results won't match what 95%+ of people on here demanded. And if this coach was from out West and had no prior connections to the program, would we be treating him the same way?

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 19, 2015, 02:18:26 pm
I know the message board world is used to people picking a darkside or support side and sticking with that until the coach is done. I'm not that way. My support is fluid and I re-evaluate constantly.

Ok, I'll check back with you tomorrow then. Seriously though, I'm getting off the merry-go-round with you on this for today and will just agree to disagree.