Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2018 Defensive Depth Chart/Roster

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, February 10, 2018, 07:24:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

February 10, 2018, 07:24:22 am Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 12:25:30 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
As with the offensive side of the ball, this isn't in any particular order except for those that are obvious. 2-3-4 deep could wind up differently after the spring. Same goes for the weights and yes, as another disclaimer, I might not be entirely right on each players year of eligibility. I'm sure some of you can help with this if it is wrong. Also, I've tried to include everyone on the roster, walk-ons as well. I've also included those that we just signed.

Who do you see stepping up and thriving in a switch back to a 4-3 base with a more aggressive, pressure style of defense?

DE                             DT                               DT                               DE
                                   Gerald, Jr, 6-3, 260       Guidry, R/So, 6-3, 294       Capps, Jr, 6-4, 309           Agim, Jr, 6-3, 289
                                     Bell, Jr, 6-5, 252           Smith, Jr, 6-3, 285       Marshall, R/So, 6-4, 299     Porter, R/Fr, 6-4, 240
                                Richardson, Jr, 6-4, 255     Johnson, Sr, 6-5, 285       Watts, Sr, 6-5, 293          Taylor, Sr, 6-3, 260
                                   Nichols, Fr, 6-4, 275                                           Ferrell, Fr, 6-3, 331         Fulwider, Fr, 6-7, 249

CB                                 SLB                                           MLB                                              WLB                                     CB
   Curl, So, 6-1, 190           Ramsey, Sr, 6-4, 228                     Harris, Jr, 6-0, 240                          Greenlaw, Sr, 6-0, 226             Pulley, Sr, 5-11, 198
Calloway, So, 5-10, 188     Munson, So, 6-0, 215                 Morgan, R/So, 5-11, 220                       Fisher, So, 6-2, 235                 Tutt, Jr, 6-1, 180
  Dalton, Jr, 6-3, 190          Paul, R/So, 6-2, 215                  LaFrance, R/So, 6-0, 239                     Walker, R/So, 6-2, 208           McClellion, R/Fr, 6-0, 172
Curtis, Fr, 5-11, 190        Brasuell, R/S0, 6-1, 218                  Phillips, Jr, 6-1, 232                            Parker, Fr, 6-2, 225                Bishop, Fr, 6-0, 189
                                    DePrato, R/So, 6-4, 218                   Pool, Fr, 6-2, 215                              Henry, Fr, 6-1, 209

SS                                                                                                FS
                                       Miller, Sr, 5-9, 197                                                                           Ramirez, Sr, 6-2, 205
                                     Smith, R/So, 6-0, 202                                                                      Edwards, R/So, 6-1, 212
                                      Brown, So, 6-0, 190                                                                     Hernandez, R/So, 5-10, 185
                                     Foucha, Fr, 5-10, 194                                                                         Mason, Fr, 6-2, 205
Go Hogs Go!

Letsroll1200

Hopefully they move TJ smith on the inside. Can't see Reid Miller starting ahead of Brown and the other incoming freshman.

MuskogeeHogFan

February 10, 2018, 08:49:07 am #2 Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 10:31:12 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 10, 2018, 07:38:30 am
Hopefully they move TJ smith on the inside. Can't see Reid Miller starting ahead of Brown and the other incoming freshman.

The good news is, look at how few Sr's we lose after this year.

Out of 15 D-Linemen, we lose 3 after the 2018 season. 4 if Agim has a dominating season and chooses to leave early.

Out of 15 LB's, we lose 2.

Out of 16 DB's, we lose 3.

There is a lot of room for a lot of underclassmen to get a lot of experience this season. Good thing is, we are retaining a lot of depth as things stand right now.
Go Hogs Go!

jgphillips3

I think people are going to be somewhere between shocked and surprised at how much better these players will look in the new offense and defense.  I think this will be especially clear in line play.  Our O-line bodies are much more built for the spread and our D-line was an attacking D-line that was asked to just hold ground.  These players in these schemes will look much better because they fit better. 

blu

Where's Hayden Henry? Also, has Scoota grown 4 inches sine he got here? Thanks for posting. The back side of the defense is starting to provide some reason for optimism.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: blu on February 10, 2018, 10:20:29 am
Where's Hayden Henry? Also, has Scoota grown 4 inches sine he got here? Thanks for posting. The back side of the defense is starting to provide some reason for optimism.

Heh, heh, what are they puttin in the water down there in Fayetteville anyway, to get a guy to grow 4 inches in height? ;) Nope, mis-key. Good catch on Henry as well. He has been added. Thanks for catching those.
Go Hogs Go!

bennyl08

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 10, 2018, 07:24:22 am
As with the offensive side of the ball, this isn't in any particular order except for those that are obvious. 2-3-4 deep could wind up differently after the spring. Same goes for the weights and yes, as another disclaimer, I might not be entirely right on each players year of eligibility. I'm sure some of you can help with this if it is wrong. Also, I've tried to include everyone on the roster, walk-ons as well. I've also included those that we just signed.

Who do you see stepping up and thriving in a switch back to a 4-3 base with a more aggressive, pressure style of defense?

DE                             DT                               DT                               DE
                                   Gerald, Jr, 6-3, 260       Guidry, R/So, 6-3, 294       Capps, Jr, 6-4, 309           Agim, Jr, 6-3, 289
                                     Bell, Jr, 6-5, 252           Smith, Jr, 6-3, 285       Marshall, R/So, 6-4, 299     Porter, R/Fr, 6-4, 240
                                Richardson, Jr, 6-4, 255     Johnson, Sr, 6-5, 285       Watts, Sr, 6-5, 293          Taylor, Sr, 6-3, 260
                                   Nichols, Fr, 6-4, 275                                           Ferrell, Fr, 6-3, 331         Fulwider, Fr, 6-7, 249

CB                                 SLB                                           MLB                                              WLB                                     CB
   Kurl, So, 6-1, 190           Ramsey, Sr, 6-4, 228                     Harris, Jr, 6-0, 240                          Greenlaw, Sr, 6-0, 226             Pulley, Sr, 5-11, 198
Calloway, So, 5-10, 188     Munson, So, 6-0, 215                 Morgan, R/So, 5-11, 220                       Fisher, So, 6-2, 235                 Tutt, Jr, 6-1, 180
  Dalton, Jr, 6-3, 190          Paul, R/So, 6-2, 215                  LaFrance, R/So, 6-0, 239                     Walker, R/So, 6-2, 208           McClellion, R/Fr, 6-0, 172
Curtis, Fr, 5-11, 190        Brasuell, R/S0, 6-1, 218                  Phillips, Jr, 6-1, 232                            Parker, Fr, 6-2, 225                Bishop, Fr, 6-0, 189
                                    DePrato, R/So, 6-4, 218                   Pool, Fr, 6-2, 215                              Henry, Fr, 6-1, 209

SS                                                                                                FS
                                       Miller, Sr, 5-9, 197                                                                           Ramirez, Sr, 6-2, 205
                                     Smith, R/So, 6-0, 202                                                                      Edwards, R/So, 6-1, 212
                                      Brown, So, 6-0, 190                                                                     Hernandez, R/So, 5-10, 185
                                     Foucha, Fr, 5-10, 194                                                                         Mason, Fr, 6-2, 205

Curl played well last year (it's curl with a C, not a K, just a small correction) at corner especially for a true freshmen; however, I do think he is best suited for S in the long run so I wouldn't be shocked if he moved back there this year. At the same time, Ramirez is an all conference player at FS where Curl is likely headed, so it also could make sense to keep him at corner this year until Ramirez graduates. Some of that may depend on how well some of our other guys play.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

thebignasty

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 10, 2018, 11:45:35 am
Curl played well last year (it's curl with a C, not a K, just a small correction) at corner especially for a true freshmen; however, I do think he is best suited for S in the long run so I wouldn't be shocked if he moved back there this year. At the same time, Ramirez is an all conference player at FS where Curl is likely headed, so it also could make sense to keep him at corner this year until Ramirez graduates. Some of that may depend on how well some of our other guys play.

I'd be stunned if Santos is an all conference player.
Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 10, 2018, 11:45:35 am

Noted and changed. Thank you.
Go Hogs Go!

bennyl08

Quote from: thebignasty on February 10, 2018, 12:08:40 pm
I'd be stunned if Santos is an all conference player.

64 tackles, 2 tfl, 1 int, 8 pass break ups, 3 forced fumbles, and that was all on a pretty inept defense. Of course, those numbers by themselves don't mean much. Below are the safeties who made the all conference lists this past season. 

Fitzpatrick: 52 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 int, 7 pbu's, 1 ff
Watts: 87 tackles, 1 sack, 5 pbu's, 4 int's, 3 ff's (under our new DC)
Reed: 69 tackles, 2 sacks, 5 pbu's, 2 int's, 1 FF
Harrison: 68 tackles, 3 sacks, 3 pbu's, 3 int's, 0 FF
Roberts: 51 tackles, 0 sacks, 5 pbu's, 0 INT's, 1 FF

This video is from his sophomore season when he was just a bit player, but you can see him catch Jalen Hurd from behind and Trevor Knight (4.54 forty) from behind as well. He played at a whole other level this year. No video yet of his junior campaign (this video came out in march so perhaps there will be one before it is said and done).

So, the guy's numbers were on par with most of the all conference players this year. Further, it isn't like he's in a system that inflates his numbers, it isn't like he doesn't have NFL size (6'2 198) or doesn't have NFL athleticism (caught from behind a 4.54 guy). However, there are a lot of good DB's in the SEC and save for maybe one or two of those players, I can't argue that their resume isn't as good as Ramirez's either. Just that in the tie breaker, the guy from the bad team with a bad overall defense isn't going to be chosen.

But yeah, don't be stunned when he makes all conference this season.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

razorbacksnum1

No way Hayden Henry will be 4th team. He beat out all the other linebackers to be in the two deep as a true freshman.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 10, 2018, 07:24:22 am
As with the offensive side of the ball, this isn't in any particular order except for those that are obvious. 2-3-4 deep could wind up differently after the spring.

Quote from: razorbacksnum1 on February 10, 2018, 02:03:46 pm
No way Hayden Henry will be 4th team. He beat out all the other linebackers to be in the two deep as a true freshman.

We will see what Hayden can do. Need to allow him to get out there and prove it first. He comes from a great lineage. We'll see how quickly he emerges as a SEC level player.
Go Hogs Go!

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: jgphillips3 on February 10, 2018, 08:55:14 am
I think people are going to be somewhere between shocked and surprised at how much better these players will look in the new offense and defense.  I think this will be especially clear in line play.  Our O-line bodies are much more built for the spread and our D-line was an attacking D-line that was asked to just hold ground.  These players in these schemes will look much better because they fit better.
Thank you so much for that. Finally some9ne other than myself that could see what was going on last year!
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on February 10, 2018, 04:03:00 pm
Thank you so much for that. Finally some9ne other than myself that could see what was going on last year!
It's not just last year it was the 2 years before as well, HV we can't rush the passer, DL is horrible, blah blah blah, we did pretty good the 10% of the time the DL was actually let loose. See it over and over on here, they got all day to throw and Yada Yada, they were not trying to rush the QB, they were trying to keep him in the pocket and squeeze the pocket down. When you let Wise, Ledbetter, Agim loose they can disrupt things.

Tick Hog

I know one thing, Steve Caldwell can flat coach the DE position. If that group can stay healthy this defense will look nothing like the last couple of years.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on February 10, 2018, 04:30:33 pm
It's not just last year it was the 2 years before as well, HV we can't rush the passer, DL is horrible, blah blah blah, we did pretty good the 10% of the time the DL was actually let loose. See it over and over on here, they got all day to throw and Yada Yada, they were not trying to rush the QB, they were trying to keep him in the pocket and squeeze the pocket down. When you let Wise, Ledbetter, Agim loose they can disrupt things.

You can scheme pressure that squeeze's a pocket and then funnels the QB to a particular spot(s) and through the scheme, have people there to meet him and take away his big play with a scramble. It helps if you are funneling him towards some of your quickest, fastest and best tacklers. It is my hope that we will see more of this from Chavis.
Go Hogs Go!

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 10, 2018, 07:38:30 am
no way Reid starts.

But, Im just gonna go out on a limb here, but that is a NASTY defense on paper and should be top 35 in scoring d.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

livevanguy

Quote from: Tick Hog on February 11, 2018, 12:56:06 am
I know one thing, Steve Caldwell can flat coach the DE position. If that group can stay healthy this defense will look nothing like the last couple of years.
Any improvement will look like nothing like the last couple of years. I'm pumped to see the what these coaches can do with these players.
Call'n the hogs from the Pacific Northwest

nchogg

Quote from: livevanguy on February 11, 2018, 03:39:38 pm
Any improvement will look like nothing like the last couple of years. I'm pumped to see the what these coaches can do with these players.
I agree and look forward to spring. Can't get here fast enough.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on February 11, 2018, 12:03:41 pm
no way Reid starts.

But, Im just gonna go out on a limb here, but that is a NASTY defense on paper and should be top 35 in scoring d.

Short of this defense being schemed to to attempt to provide more pressure up front, I'm not confident making any predictions at this point. Do we have some good athletes who are fully capable of playing better in the right scheme with more timely calls and utilizing the proper techniques? Absolutely. But I remember many of us thinking that there wasn't any way that our defense last year, would be as bad as it was in 2016. It had to be better, right? Not so much, as it turned out.

I'm happy to have Chavis. I "think" we "should" be improved. We will have some kind of an idea after the first three games but the Auburn game will be the first real test. We will see.
Go Hogs Go!

The NewEra

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 10, 2018, 08:49:07 am
The good news is, look at how few Sr's we lose after this year.

Out of 15 D-Linemen, we lose 3 after the 2018 season. 4 if Agim has a dominating season and chooses to leave early.

Out of 15 LB's, we lose 2.

Out of 16 DB's, we lose 3.

There is a lot of room for a lot of underclassmen to get a lot of experience this season. Good thing is, we are retaining a lot of depth as things stand right now.

Taking that out another year Muskogee, there are only (3) Juniors in the back seven.  That bodes well for the next 2-3 years with development.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: The NewEra on February 13, 2018, 08:22:48 am
Taking that out another year Muskogee, there are only (3) Juniors in the back seven.  That bodes well for the next 2-3 years with development.
There's a lot of youth in that Secondary.
Go Hogs Go!

The_Iceman

Am I the only one where the depth chart looks like a jumbled up mess? May just be the mobile app.

liljo

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 14, 2018, 12:36:51 pm
Am I the only one where the depth chart looks like a jumbled up mess? May just be the mobile app.

It looks much better on my PC using IE or Firefox. On my iPad, using Safari, yeah, it's definitely harder to read.

Good stuff, though!
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 14, 2018, 12:36:51 pm

Yes, you will have trouble with data aligning as originally entered, on i-Pads and Phones.
Go Hogs Go!