Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who will be DC??????

Started by Mark_Freeman, December 06, 2017, 12:09:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfansince79

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

RazorPiggie

Quote from: hogfansince79 on December 07, 2017, 11:46:06 am
Did Frost keep Bob Diaco?

Lots of dudes last year were man crushing on him.

navyhog24

hogfansince79

I have always liked Troy's DC Vic Koenning.  Morris coached against him while he was at North Carolina.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

lamont7906

how you guys feel about Pete Golding from UTSA, every where he been he turned out stellar defenses. He would come cheap and best thing about him he didn't go to no power 5 school so no loyalty to other schools. If he turns out good he would be more willing to stay unless for a HC position in the future. At least as a position coach. He going to be a hot name soon. I wonder if he is on the radar for someone.

WarEagleSharkFalconHawg

I'm sure Chizik would love to be back in the SEC

PorkSoda

top ten defenses

1   Wisconsin   Jim Leonhard
2   Alabama   Jeremy Pruitt
3   Michigan   Don Brown
4   Georgia   Mel Tucker
5   Washington   Pete Kwiatkowski
6   Clemson   brent Venables
7   UTSA   Pete Golding
8   Ohio St.   greg shiano
9   Michigan St.   Harlon Barnett
10   Mississippi St.   Todd Gratham

maybe we could steal Todd Gratham?
Pete Golding should be easy to get

anybody else catch your eye on this list?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Donny2665

Bo Pelini! We need to go get this guy! At LSU, he had great defenses!
This life's hard, but it's harder if you're stupid.~George V.Higgins

Ignorance is a voluntary misfortune!~Nicolas Ling

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.~Mark Twain

RockyMtnHog

Matt McDaniels - DC at Katy HS in Texas.  Best DC in Texas and knows the Houston area.

In 15 games this year his defense has allowed 69 points.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: root_hawg on December 07, 2017, 09:45:31 am
Van Malone, unless he takes a HC job

Football scoop reported that Malone isn't expected to job Morris here

devildoghawg

Quote from: Mark_Freeman on December 06, 2017, 12:24:54 pm

Why leave Clemson to rebuild? And not as HC. So you're good enough for us to talk to, but not good enough to be the HC, why don't you come as DC instead? I would have a hard time with that. But $ talks, so maybe $2.5M would get it done. I doubt it. Especially after hearing him talk on Bo's show the other day. He didn't give me the impression he was looking to move or that moving was something he's even comfortable doing. A HC job is a different story altogether.

CCM was asked the same thing when he left Clemson for SMU...His response "why not"

CCM and Venables are the same breed of man, hungry for a challenge, and to prove the doubters wrong.  There would be nothing more impressive than to leave Clemson, come to a struggling Arkansas program, and take them to a NCG with a lights out defense.  That would firmly cement Venables as the greatest DC of all time.
Quote from: kingofdequeen on July 25, 2013, 06:21:48 pm
If you've got a dumba** son, do you love him any less?  no.  you just overlook his faults b/c you love him.  At least that's what my dad does.

Matt Burks

Could Bud Foster finally leave VA Tech? He nearly took the A&M job in 2015. I've been wondering how the relationship is with Foster and Fuente 🤔

aloha_kid

Quote from: lumphog on December 06, 2017, 12:32:04 pm
He I$ ?  I hope he doe$

He i$ making 1.7 million a year at Clempson.

Matt Burks

Quote from: aloha_kid on December 08, 2017, 01:05:34 am
He i$ making 1.7 million a year at Clempson.
I think Bud Is making just under a million

rzrbk4life

Hopefully whoever it is, is stud recruiter as well
Let's call those hogs!!!!

HoopS

Somebody lie to me. Tell me who we are hiring. Quote a source. Make one up if needed. I'm having withdrawals.

Hog N Bama

Quote from: Mark_Freeman on December 06, 2017, 12:24:54 pm

Why leave Clemson to rebuild? And not as HC. So you're good enough for us to talk to, but not good enough to be the HC, why don't you come as DC instead? I would have a hard time with that. But $ talks, so maybe $2.5M would get it done. I doubt it. Especially after hearing him talk on Bo's show the other day. He didn't give me the impression he was looking to move or that moving was something he's even comfortable doing. A HC job is a different story altogether.
There are people in life who love a change and a challenge. Being the big boss isn't their gig. It's what makes one happy that matters.

The real Hogules

Quote from: Matt Burks on December 08, 2017, 01:11:58 am
I think Bud Is making just under a million

Bud Foster makes $900,000.00 a year, but that's his base salary and a retention bonus for remaining at VT.
I'd offer to double his salary and hope that he would make the jump.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

jjdlc

Quote from: Matt Burks on December 08, 2017, 12:48:30 am
Could Bud Foster finally leave VA Tech? He nearly took the A&M job in 2015. I've been wondering how the relationship is with Foster and Fuente 🤔

Anything could happen.  Foster was a candidate for the HC position when Beamer finally retired.  Maybe he feels a little slighted and not completely comfortable with Fuentes.

Foster has done a lot with similar level recruiting to what we usually get, that's what we need, someone who does more with less.

Ozarkhog05

Quote from: lilRockNDubb on December 06, 2017, 12:25:10 pm
What's Chizik doing theses days?
This. He is used to calling defenses for almost the same exact offense. Also, brings a lot of HC experience in the SEC. Doesn't hurt that he has been breaking down film of SEC offenses for a couple years.

hoghiker

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 06, 2017, 12:20:49 pm
i should start a thread swearing it's not Venables.
To quote Dabo Sweeney on the chances of Venables coming to Arkansas. "Good luck with that."

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Donny2665 on December 07, 2017, 10:37:49 pm
Bo Pelini! We need to go get this guy! At LSU, he had great defenses!

He needs anger management counseling.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

It is amazing how many think coaches and others only move for more money. There can be a lot of other factors involved in why people move or not.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Dominicanhog

jcpack

Quote from: Matt Burks on December 08, 2017, 12:48:30 am
Bud is my guess too! He and Brent are pretty close. CCM was a candidate for the VT job when Fuente took over. CCM and BF obviously played against each other. Bud was ready to jump to A&M in 2015, wife was on board, and he does feel a little slighted from being passed up on the HC job at VT. He wants to compete in the SEC and has always placed heavy emphasis on special teams. Gut says he's the one! What say you?

MissippHog

We know how a high-octane offense can have an adverse affect on its own defense, so should we be looking around for DC's that are familiar with that?

BigE_23

Quote from: Mark_Freeman on December 06, 2017, 12:09:18 pm
Venables is a pipe dream (IMO) and Graham may have a hard time swallowing working for a guy who once worked for him. Who else would be a good DC hire? I have to assume they're ready to pony up the $$$ for a good one.

Think back to Venables' answer to Bo's question about the Arkansas HC job. He said, "That's a tough thing to answer. I have not spoken to anybody but my representatives have, and I'll leave it at that."

Now think about why it could be such a tough thing to answer...could it be because he was being courted to coach at Arkansas, but not as the HC? Could it be that he talked to Coach Morris BEFORE he was the head coach at Arkansas (so technically it was true that he hadn't talked to anyone at Arkansas), and his representatives were in negotiations with University officials about a DC move.

All conspiracy and conjecture, but definitely makes his answer more interesting.

Jackson_64

Quote from: BigE_23 on December 08, 2017, 01:32:19 pm
Think back to Venables' answer to Bo's question about the Arkansas HC job. He said, "That's a tough thing to answer. I have not spoken to anybody but my representatives have, and I'll leave it at that."

Now think about why it could be such a tough thing to answer...could it be because he was being courted to coach at Arkansas, but not as the HC? Could it be that he talked to Coach Morris BEFORE he was the head coach at Arkansas (so technically it was true that he hadn't talked to anyone at Arkansas), and his representatives were in negotiations with University officials about a DC move.

All conspiracy and conjecture, but definitely makes his answer more interesting.

His interview was very bizarre and really threw me for a loop. I think that he was more than likely a candidate for the HC job making this difficult to answer. I can't justify him coming as anything but a HC.
Lane Kiffin.

And it is way closer to happening then you think.

Way closer.

PRJ

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: jcpack on December 08, 2017, 01:24:08 pm
Bud is my guess too! He and Brent are pretty close. CCM was a candidate for the VT job when Fuente took over. CCM and BF obviously played against each other. Bud was ready to jump to A&M in 2015, wife was on board, and he does feel a little slighted from being passed up on the HC job at VT. He wants to compete in the SEC and has always placed heavy emphasis on special teams. Gut says he's the one! What say you?
Great Post. My pick , too. Ive been dropping Bud Foster's name in these threads the last couple days. After Venables, he IS the best DC in football. he runs a man defense and is used to  the spread offense. Plus, VT is special teams U. I know Bud Foster looks at Fuente and knows he is smarter and more qualified and has been loyal yet still got passed over. Then Fuente flirted with FSU but then stayed so Bud has to know now is the time to get out of there. They wont ever give him the HC job.

I love it. I cant wait for fuente to get exposed. First he was carried by Norvell, then by Foster.

PLEASE let it be Bud Foster.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

PorkSoda

Quote from: Jackson_64 on December 08, 2017, 01:35:24 pm
His interview was very bizarre and really threw me for a loop. I think that he was more than likely a candidate for the HC job making this difficult to answer. I can't justify him coming as anything but a HC.
kind of like, "so you don't want to be our HC?  we do have a janitor position open, would that interest you?
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 08, 2017, 01:38:54 pm
kind of like, "so you don't want to be our HC?  we do have a janitor position open, would that interest you?
not even. They are friends and BV values loyalty to PEOPLE. He really would at least consider the move.
I think Bud Foster would , too.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

PorkSoda

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 08, 2017, 01:40:31 pm
not even. They are friends and BV values loyalty to PEOPLE. He really would at least consider the move.
just talking chit.  seem odd to decline a HC position only to accept a lower position, but its also odd that he hasn't taken a HC job even though he is offered by someone every year.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 08, 2017, 01:43:22 pm
just talking chit.  seem odd to decline a HC position only to accept a lower position, but its also odd that he hasn't taken a HC job even though he is offered by someone every year.
i know, i should have mentioned, as far as jokes go, it's wasnt a bad one.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 08, 2017, 01:43:56 pm
i know, i should have mentioned, as far as jokes go, it's wasnt a bad one.
well we certainly need someone capable of cleaning up the mess that is our defense.

The_Bionic_Pig

The majority of the candidates probably have BOWL GAMES to coach.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Hawg Life

Tyro3

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 06, 2017, 12:20:49 pm
i should start a thread swearing it's not Venables.
That would make sure it was, go for it.

(notOM)Rebel123

Venables for "mucho  dinero"...😉
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

hvsupastar

"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

colt07

Two I would take a hard look at:

1. Tracy Rocker, former Georgia DL coach. Played at Auburn.

2. Chris Rumph, former DL coach at Florida. Good enough that Mullen wanted him to stay on when he got to Florida.

Both may already be headed to Tennessee, but would both be great.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: colt07 on December 08, 2017, 02:19:10 pm
Two I would take a hard look at:

1. Tracy Rocker, former Georgia DL coach. Played at Auburn.

2. Chris Rumph, former DL coach at Florida. Good enough that Mullen wanted him to stay on when he got to Florida.

Both may already be headed to Tennessee, but would both be great.

Rocker coached here before. For some reason he left.

coachingsearchbro

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 08, 2017, 02:22:10 pm
Rocker coached here before. For some reason he left.
he also isnt a dc, and he also just got hired at tennessee tho.

The Hawg Marshal

Do you think the players already know who it is

Hopeful Hog

Quote from: RockyMtnHog on December 07, 2017, 10:39:12 pm
Matt McDaniels - DC at Katy HS in Texas.  Best DC in Texas and knows the Houston area.

In 15 games this year his defense has allowed 69 points.

You lost me at HS...

Hopeful Hog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 08, 2017, 01:40:31 pm

He values loyalty to PEOPLE so he's gonna be disloyal to the PERSON that hired him, helped make him a house hold name, and has won NC with? How does that rationale make sense?

King Kong

Quote from: Hopeful Hog on December 08, 2017, 03:48:17 pm
You lost me at HS...

Wasn't that long ago Jeremy Pruitt was a HC DC

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: Hopeful Hog on December 08, 2017, 03:56:42 pm
He values loyalty to PEOPLE so he's gonna be disloyal to the PERSON that hired him, helped make him a house hold name, and has won NC with? How does that rationale make sense?

The same way he moved from Bill Snyder and his alma mater K-State to work with his friend Bob Stoops. Maybe he'd like to work with Morris again, and move closer to home, and make $2.5M.

HOGS82

Quote from: Hopeful Hog on December 08, 2017, 03:56:42 pm

Venables was a household name long before he arrived at Clemson.
Quote from: mindemon on November 24, 2023, 06:58:31 pmThe 'Fire Sam Pittman' crowd are going to be eating their words next year. Trust me.