Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tom Murphy on Finebaum this Afternoon

Started by WilsonHog, October 17, 2017, 06:22:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jneal56

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 17, 2017, 07:24:34 pm
Maybe he's implementing a recruiting philosophy consistent with what his bosses want?

I actually like the guys he recruits, but as you well know, sometimes we need some hard nosed guys that are hungry for the things that most people take for granted. The guys who grew up with nothing and are driven by that possibility to make something out of themselves that they never thought they'd have the opportunity otherwise.
"At least we are moral"

hogsanity

Quote from: The NewEra on October 18, 2017, 10:02:44 am
Fitz Hill made an interesting comment about this recently.  He basically said his philosophy of recruiting differed from Bielema's in that Fitz believed a program should recruit great, speedy athletes first and if they had a checkered past it was the coaches job to mold them into upstanding young men.  That a lot of these young men have nothing else in their lives but football and you use that as the leverage to get them to modify their behavior.  His was speaking to the matter of, you can't let great instate talent get away, especially those with great speed.

Fitz has some very compelling views on how to recruit the state of Arkansas and how to cultivate that talent.  I would like to see him in our program at some level. 

Two problems with that. 1. Most of the speed in Ar gets moved to WR or Rb in Ar HS football. One area we have not has issues at the U of A is in getting Wr's and Rb's. I mean 4 Wr's from Ar made NFL teams just from last years team. And we have always had really good rb's . 2. Arkansas produces almost no SEC level defenders. Agim  was the last highly touted big time defender that just about everyone wanted.

I am not saying he is wrong is that you have to overlook some of the problems a kid may have as baggage, but to act like there is a wealth of talent in AR just being overlooked because of off field issues is just not true. If it were there would be plenty of coaches from other schools willing to come here and recruit it, problems or not.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jneal56

Quote from: RazorPiggie on October 18, 2017, 09:10:29 am
LOL. I'd say most of the people that knew me in HS would say I was pretty well behaved. I did well in HS and my parents were always there for me when I needed them. But as soon as I got to the UofA and was out on my own it went downhill. I never went to class. I stayed up late every night playing Xbox/Playstation, partied on the weekends. I ended up getting kicked out of the UofA because my GPA was so low.

So yeah I give CBB credit for #3. Someone has to hold those guys accountable.

Agree with you there, but you have to admit that had you been on the Football team where that stuff would have consequences you most likely wouldn't have done it as much or to the extent that you did. That comes from being conditioned at home where as those who weren't taught, would do it anyway. Or at least that is what seems to happen quite often.
"At least we are moral"

SemperFi

If 3 thru 5 allow you to have and to keep a $4.5m a year job then I want in yesterday.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

jneal56

Quote from: hogsanity on October 18, 2017, 10:15:08 am
Two problems with that. 1. Most of the speed in Ar gets moved to WR or Rb in Ar HS football. One area we have not has issues at the U of A is in getting Wr's and Rb's. I mean 4 Wr's from Ar made NFL teams just from last years team. And we have always had really good rb's . 2. Arkansas produces almost no SEC level defenders. Agim  was the last highly touted big time defender that just about everyone wanted.

I am not saying he is wrong is that you have to overlook some of the problems a kid may have as baggage, but to act like there is a wealth of talent in AR just being overlooked because of off field issues is just not true. If it were there would be plenty of coaches from other schools willing to come here and recruit it, problems or not.

I agree with Fitz. Look at Jamal Anderson from a few years back. He came here as a WR. Where did he end up? DE and in the NFL I might add. There is a lot of potential for growth from 18-22 years old. You can increase speed to an extent in players but when they're born with it, that makes it so much easier. Beef them up to the 265-285 weight range and they'll lose a little speed but when compared to the rest of the DE/DL in the league they'll be among the fastest and quickest. Development. Coach Fitz is correct about coaching the men with a checkered past into upstanding men. That is what a real coach does. In return you see better product on the field.
"At least we are moral"

Porkette

Our players certainly didn't stay out of trouble at the Belk Bowl.
GO HOGS GO!

hogsanity

Quote from: jneal56 on October 18, 2017, 10:25:51 am
I agree with Fitz. Look at Jamal Anderson from a few years back. He came here as a WR. Where did he end up? DE and in the NFL I might add. There is a lot of potential for growth from 18-22 years old. You can increase speed to an extent in players but when they're born with it, that makes it so much easier. Beef them up to the 265-285 weight range and they'll lose a little speed but when compared to the rest of the DE/DL in the league they'll be among the fastest and quickest. Development. Coach Fitz is correct about coaching the men with a checkered past into upstanding men. That is what a real coach does. In return you see better product on the field.

The idea that enough talent is just wasting away in Ar to change the trajectory of the program is ludicrous.

The concept that there are a few players who could turn into something, but are overlooked because of off filed issues can be said of any state.

I see a lot of AR hs football, either live on games I call, or on film for training purposes, and I can tell you there is no vast untapped pool of players that are going to raise the talent level on the Hogs team.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Inhogswetrust

Fitz Hill made an interesting comment about this recently.  He basically said his philosophy of recruiting differed from Bielema's in that Fitz believed a program should recruit great, speedy athletes first and if they had a checkered past it was the coaches job to mold them into upstanding young men.  That a lot of these young men have nothing else in their lives but football and you use that as the leverage to get them to modify their behavior.  His was speaking to the matter of, you can't let great instate talent get away, especially those with great speed.

Fitz has some very compelling views on how to recruit the state of Arkansas and how to cultivate that talent.  I would like to see him in our program at some level. 

IF Fitz is such a great recruiter and knows how to mold and cultivate talented players with a checkered past then how come they didn't win when he was a head coach at San Jose State?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jneal56 on October 18, 2017, 10:25:51 am

I think that's a PARENTS job before they get to college.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 18, 2017, 07:55:40 am

Arkansas politics and messing with school districts have hurt as much as anything probably.

Then why are some other areas with some of the same issues not hurt? It isn't Arkansas politics as in state wide, it's local AND the school districts emphasis or lack of.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 17, 2017, 07:24:34 pm
Maybe he's implementing a recruiting philosophy consistent with what his bosses want?

Exactly, why is it so hard to see that a former successful coach doesn't stink up the field all by himself.  He had support for winning at Wisconsin, what does he have at Arkansas?  Maybe he isn't a very good coach and I think he is all wrong for Arkansas but that isn't all of it. 

bphi11ips

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 18, 2017, 11:13:08 am

Not all kids have two good parents providing a secure homelife and support for education.  That's Fitz Hill's point.

Ever hear of ACES?  It stands for Adverse Childhood Experiences.  Google it.  You may not be able to imagine what it's like to grow up in an environment full of ACES.  ACES destroy lives, but sometimes all it takes is one caring person to give a child the resilience to survive them.  Sometimes that person is a coach.  Arkansas provides student athletes a network of caring people for support from the day they enroll to the day they graduate. 

I'm not referring here to anyone in particular, but I do believe Fitz Hill makes a good point and further believe college athletics have drastically improved the lives of many underprivileged people.  Those people in turn improve their own communities. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 18, 2017, 12:47:30 pm
Not all kids have two good parents providing a secure homelife and support for education.  That's Fitz Hill's point.

Ever hear of ACES?  It stands for Adverse Childhood Experiences.  Google it.  You may not be able to imagine what it's like to grow up in an environment full of ACES.  ACES destroy lives, but sometimes all it takes is one caring person to give a child the resilience to survive them.  Sometimes that person is a coach.  Arkansas provides student athletes a network of caring people for support from the day they enroll to the day they graduate. 

I'm not referring here to anyone in particular, but I do believe Fitz Hill makes a good point and further believe college athletics have drastically improved the lives of many underprivileged people.  Those people in turn improve their own communities. 

I know that a lot of kids don't have two parents. Also one single parent or mentor growing up can make a huge difference. The thing I was inferring mostly is that by the time a "kid" reaches old enough to go off to college the damage might already be done. Parents even if only one has to do the job first. Coaches in junior high and high school would be in a better position to get them on the straight and narrow at an earlier age than a college coach. That being said better late than never I guess. Yes college has improved the lives of a lot of underprivileged kids. Some of them have noting got do with athletics other than helping them pay for college via an athletic scholarship. Others from underprivileged backgrounds go to college and do well afterwards even without that athletic scholarship or playing sports.

axharbor

Finebaum also asked why BB doesnt seem to be on as hot a seat as Davis and Gus.  Asked is that just because Arkansas is different than the other schools...  Of course this was something that TM agreed was the case.  This to me basically meant, unlike the rest of the SEC, is Arkansas okay accepting a lousy job if he has players in class, etc...  I was furious but didn't seem to have TM skip a beat.  TM/PF also said something about how the fans were still with BB to which I immediately almost drove off the road as I see about 1 in every 20 fans actually still wanting to give BB more time...  The rest of the SEC seems to have a VERY low opinion of our football program and our expectations for it.  Basically all of this same info was said about Long also which additionally had me about to drive into oncoming traffic...  Honestly though, if we keep BB around, I guess the rest of the SEC knows our program better than we do as I cannot imagine hanging on to BB and his dumpster fire past this season.  This is by no means a direct quote, just my memory of what was said or the jest of it...  FML

The NewEra

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 18, 2017, 11:11:31 am
IF Fitz is such a great recruiter and knows how to mold and cultivate talented players with a checkered past then how come they didn't win when he was a head coach at San Jose State?

The post was regarding Arkansas players and talent and keeping them in Arkansas.  He did a pretty good job of that with Nutt and he has significantly more knowledge and experience now than he did when he was on Nutt's staff.

HognotinMemphis

By the team many of them get to college, they already have children of their own, sadly.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

jneal56

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 18, 2017, 11:13:08 am

Exactly correct but you evidently haven't followed along. Am talking about those who have little to no parental guidance in their life. Read more post less is one I haven't seen in a while but it's fitting for your case I think.
"At least we are moral"

jneal56

Quote from: hogsanity on October 18, 2017, 10:38:04 am
The idea that enough talent is just wasting away in Ar to change the trajectory of the program is ludicrous.

The concept that there are a few players who could turn into something, but are overlooked because of off filed issues can be said of any state.

I see a lot of AR hs football, either live on games I call, or on film for training purposes, and I can tell you there is no vast untapped pool of players that are going to raise the talent level on the Hogs team.

Nobody ever said there was a vast untapped pool of players in Arkansas. That's something you pulled out of your @$$. Furthermore, you don't need a vast pool. Tell me what that team would look like today if we had a Drew Morgan in our receiving corps or a Marcus Monk? How many accolades did either of them really have coming out of high school? They certainly made a huge impact for the Hogs. You are absurd to think that they all have to be blue chippers. Hell why don't we throw in the obvious and say Burlsworth? The deal is, you don't know what you're getting as far as physical attributes from high school kids. Some may be as big and as fast as they'll ever be while others still have a long ways to go.
"At least we are moral"

hogsanity

Quote from: jneal56 on October 18, 2017, 02:19:46 pm
The deal is, you don't know what you're getting as far as physical attributes from high school kids. Some may be as big and as fast as they'll ever be while others still have a long ways to go.

I agree with that, but the Hogs already sign a bunch of players, usually in state kids, that are not anywhere near SEC level in the hope that they turn into something. For every one that does, 10 never contribute. So we want to sign even more in state projects?

Just watch on SR day, there will be players honored as Sr's that no one has ever heard of. Some are walkons, and some are on scholarship and just never panned out. They worked hard, they did what they could in practice.

Arkansas needs more difference makers, and they are not going to get them by taking a bunch more players that may turn into something.

jneal56

Quote from: hogsanity on October 18, 2017, 02:25:00 pm
I agree with that, but the Hogs already sign a bunch of players, usually in state kids, that are not anywhere near SEC level in the hope that they turn into something. For every one that does, 10 never contribute. So we want to sign even more in state projects?

Just watch on SR day, there will be players honored as Sr's that no one has ever heard of. Some are walkons, and some are on scholarship and just never panned out. They worked hard, they did what they could in practice.

Arkansas needs more difference makers, and they are not going to get them by taking a bunch more players that may turn into something.

Agreed.
"At least we are moral"

HognotinMemphis

Pray for more DMacs, Hillis', Wrights, Adams' and Matt Jones' to be born in Arkansas.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

texas tush hog

Fitz Hill and Jim Washburn were two of the greatest recruiters we have ever had at Arkansas. They knew their stuff. We had Charley North then too and he wasn't bad.

AlmaHog2011

If Fitz Hill is available that would be my first hire if I was the new coach. Big mistake not having the man on the hill. IMO just get him up there!

texas tush hog

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on October 19, 2017, 12:04:08 pm
If Fitz Hill is available that would be my first hire if I was the new coach. Big mistake not having the man on the hill. IMO just get him up there!

He might be available to replace Long/

DeltaBoy

Quote from: ShadowHawg on October 18, 2017, 09:38:13 am
Mediocrity

Nutt was mediocre. He claimed if we got to play Vandy and Kentucky more we would have a better Sec record. Then when he actually got to play them he ends up with a losing record with Kentucky and an embarrassing loss to Vandy.

Mediocre people, mediocre programs both have a way of finding mediocrity regardless of their situations.

Moving to the Big XII would only change what conference we were mediocre in.

Until expectations change at the administrative level, we will continue to be mediocre. If the PTB would accept Nutt as having been successful, then there is little chance for high levels of performance.

It's more than just Jeff Long who is satisfied with mediocrity here.

Amen
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on October 17, 2017, 08:54:11 pm
1) Bohl is lying through his teeth.
2) Bielema is done; already agreed to buyout sum.
3) Next coach is already a done deal. Ive told ya'll over and over, it's Leach. Be happy.
4) Long saved his job. If he tied himself to the hip w/ Bert like Bohl suggested they would BOTH be done.
5) Not sure if Leach will be able to bring Grinch with him or not as he may want (and get) the Wazzou job.

I so want to believe this.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

LRHawg

All tooting your own horn about being clean does is make everyone come down on you that much harder when you: A) invariably have some kid be a kid (Belk bowl theft) or B) suck it up on the field. You can't have it both ways. The only score that matters to the next generation of kids you recruit and the rest of the world is the score on the scoreboard, not on-campus (of which we're not even #1-4). The guys that are mean, nasty head-hunters on the field are often the ones rough around the edges and in trouble off of it. At Arkansas, we will never win big if we desire to do so cleanly, and that's the truth. I'm not advocating cheating, I am just saying the winners are doing it, from an already-better geographical position.

thebignasty

PonderinHog

Quote from: LRHawg on October 19, 2017, 02:42:08 pm
All tooting your own horn about being clean does is make everyone come down on you that much harder when you: A) invariably have some kid be a kid (Belk bowl theft) or B) suck it up on the field. You can't have it both ways. The guys that are mean, nasty head-hunters on the field are often the ones rough around the edges and in trouble off of it. At Arkansas, we will never win big if we desire to do so cleanly, and that's the truth.
I call those types of players "academic risks."  And we need some.  Not a bunch, but some. 

LRHawg

Quote from: PonderinHog on October 19, 2017, 02:45:18 pm
I call those types of players "academic risks."  And we need some.  Not a bunch, but some.

We do have a few that "barely" qualified. To be honest, I was feeling pretty good last year and this year seeing some good defensive players coming in, but I don't think it will matter now, hiring Anderson is going to cost CBB his job it appears.

Athog

Quote from: ricepig on October 17, 2017, 06:25:52 pm
I'd say they like 3-5, but want more wins, is that possible with Bielema, is it possible with someone else? We'll know in about 6 weeks if that's all they want.

Great point!

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on October 17, 2017, 08:54:11 pm
1) Bohl is lying through his teeth.
2) Bielema is done; already agreed to buyout sum.
3) Next coach is already a done deal. Ive told ya'll over and over, it's Leach. Be happy.
4) Long saved his job. If he tied himself to the hip w/ Bert like Bohl suggested they would BOTH be done.
5) Not sure if Leach will be able to bring Grinch with him or not as he may want (and get) the Wazzou job.
So, if he's lying are you willing to put your money where your mouth is? 

If you are not right, about Bielema and Leach, then you leave Hogville. 

Deal?
All Gas, No Brakes!