Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tom Murphy on Finebaum this Afternoon

Started by WilsonHog, October 17, 2017, 06:22:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

Finebaum had Murphy of the Democrat-Gazette on to talk about Bret. Here was the gist.

(1) It's too early to say Bielema is out;

(2) He's not at all sure that we can become bowl eligible;

(3) Bret is doing everything right off the field, in terms of players staying out of trouble, going to class, graduating, etc.;

(4) Bret recognizes that the media has a tough job and he goes out of his way to make their job easier; and,

(5) Bret is a likeable guy.

I have no problem believing any of that, but here is my point.

If (3) through (5) and .500 football is the standard to which our BOT, University President, Chancellor, and AD aspires to, then keep Bielema. He's doing the job they want done.

Dwight_K_Shrute

The one thing Bret sucking has done is put more demand on Arkansas media to be on Finebaum. If we were 3-3 or 4-2 in the ok to mediocre range Finebaum wouldn't care. Now that we are in dumpster fire territory we are at least interesting for being bad
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

ricepig

I'd say they like 3-5, but want more wins, is that possible with Bielema, is it possible with someone else? We'll know in about 6 weeks if that's all they want.

Tusks

If BB is considered successful, then leave the SEC, lower ticket prices, and have a party for everyone on Saturday's in the fall while having a football game break out.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

WilsonHog

Quote from: tusked on October 17, 2017, 06:33:17 pm
If BB is considered successful, then leave the SEC, lower ticket prices, and have a party for everyone on Saturday's in the fall while having a football game break out.

I'm pretty certain leaving the SEC or lowering ticket prices is not going to happen.

elksnort

Yeah, keep putting a crappy product on the field and the stands will look like the TCU game in 1990 at WMS.

The OTR

Wilson's making more and more sense the past week or two.  Pains me to say I have been agreeing with almost everything he says lately.

jneal56

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 17, 2017, 06:22:11 pm
Finebaum had Murphy of the Democrat-Gazette on to talk about Bret. Here was the gist.

(3) Bret is doing everything right off the field, in terms of players staying out of trouble, going to class, graduating, etc.;

(4) Bret recognizes that the media has a tough job and he goes out of his way to make their job easier; and,

If (3) through (5) and .500 football is the standard to which our BOT, University President, Chancellor, and AD aspires to, then keep Bielema. He's doing the job they want done.

I've mentioned this before but Bielema is getting a ton of credit for #3 and it's sort of misleading. He mostly recruits the guys that are already well behaved as it is. He mostly recruits the guys that do well in school and want to graduate. He mostly recruits the guys that have parents or guardians that already instilled those mindsets. For recruiting them, I give CBB et al of the credit. But the actuons of the players say more about them and their upbringing as well as character than it does the coaching. I'd like to see he could have the same results by recruiting no more than 5 of the guys who do not fall in that caregory every class. Maybe then we could see some fire on the field from some players who came from nothing. That type of excitement spreads like wild fire. Look at how different the team reacted to CK's attitude in the game. Something to think about at least that is not all doom and gloom about the coaches and players as well as the administration.
"At least we are moral"

ricepig

Quote from: elksnort on October 17, 2017, 06:41:07 pm
Yeah, keep putting a crappy product on the field and the stands will look like the TCU game in 1990 at WMS.

Very doubtful, how many games do you make a year, season ticket holder?

WaltonCollege

He's not even a .500 coach here though, take out the Samfords, Florida ATMs and garbage schools we've beaten the last 5 years and give me his real P5 record.  In 5 years he has: beaten a crappy Texas Tech team, beat Ole Miss a couple times, beat LSU a couple times, beat Auburn.  The Auburn and Ole Miss were in OT and could have gone the other way.  So in reality over 5 years he has won 6 somewhat meaningful games.  Not good enough for 4.5 million.

ricepig

Quote from: WaltonCollege on October 17, 2017, 07:00:15 pm
He's not even a .500 coach here though, take out the Samfords, Florida ATMs and garbage schools we've beaten the last 5 years and give me his real P5 record.  In 5 years he has: beaten a crappy Texas Tech team, beat Ole Miss a couple times, beat LSU a couple times, beat Auburn.  The Auburn and Ole Miss were in OT and could have gone the other way.  So in reality over 5 years he has won 6 somewhat meaningful games.  Not good enough for 4.5 million.

Well, you'd need to put the aTm OF losses in the other column, if we're counting that way. Nope, he hasn't done as advertised, or as we had hoped. The question is, one more season, or they pull the plug this year. We have six more weeks to find out this determination.

EulessHog

I have been loving Bielema for quite some time (yea right).  It amazes me that he has gotten this far on so little gas. 
Go Hogs Go!

Poker_hog

He makes almost $2mill per conference win.  That's got to be a record.  More than double what Saban makes.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

hogblitz

I saw it on Finebaum.  It was like he was instructed to say nothing but positive comments.  He was trying to spin that beat down against Alabama something fierce!

jkstock04

Looking at it from a business standpoint why would they want to do that? What Tom Murphy said today solidifies what i have been afraid of for 2 or so years. The administration don't care about winning football games...and Jeff Long is the face of the program.

I think it's very possible there has been a lot of overreaction to Bielema being shown the door at seasons end. Winning expectations here are LOW.

Great question...when is the last time the university fired a coach for not winning enough games? Include basketball and baseball in that question as well. Jack Crowe?
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

WilsonHog

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 17, 2017, 07:07:48 pm
Looking at it from a business standpoint why would they want to do that? What Tom Murphy said today solidifies what i have been afraid of for 2 or so years. The administration don't care about winning football games...and Jeff Long is the face of the program.

I think it's very possible there has been a lot of overreaction to Bielema being shown the door at seasons end. Winning expectations here are LOW.

Great question...when is the last time the university fired a coach for not winning enough games? Include basketball and baseball in that question as well. Jack Crowe?

Danny Ford, but your point is well taken.

WilsonHog

Quote from: jneal56 on October 17, 2017, 06:44:23 pm

I've mentioned this before but Bielema is getting a ton of credit for #3 and it's sort of misleading. He mostly recruits the guys that are already well behaved as it is. He mostly recruits the guys that do well in school and want to graduate. He mostly recruits the guys that have parents or guardians that already instilled those mindsets. For recruiting them, I give CBB et al of the credit. But the actuons of the players say more about them and their upbringing as well as character than it does the coaching. I'd like to see he could have the same results by recruiting no more than 5 of the guys who do not fall in that caregory every class. Maybe then we could see some fire on the field from some players who came from nothing. That type of excitement spreads like wild fire. Look at how different the team reacted to CK's attitude in the game. Something to think about at least that is not all doom and gloom about the coaches and players as well as the administration.

Maybe he's implementing a recruiting philosophy consistent with what his bosses want?

ShadowHawg

Poker_hog

Pel was fired for not winning games even though everyone including Long were officially saying Pel was promised more time.  The last Pel year is pretty analogous to what's going on with the football team this year.  And even Pel at least had a strong recruiting class to point to as reason for hope.  Brets got nothing.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

hobhog

Quote from: hogblitz on October 17, 2017, 07:06:29 pm
I saw it on Finebaum.  It was like he was instructed to say nothing but positive comments.  He was trying to spin that beat down against Alabama something fierce!

Or maybe he is looking at it rationally and not like a drama queen dumped at prom?

Hog Pharm

The appearance may be that Long cares more about GPAs than winning but I don't take him for a stupid man. We have a $160 million project that requires butts in the seats to pay for. If the current on field product doesn't get his attention then the declining attendance/season ticket sales/donations surely will.

onebadrubi

Well, if we can include basketball, John Failphrey.  He was fired for not winning and he had what recruiting sites called a stack incoming class. 

HognotinMemphis

I may be in minority among U of A grads and lifetime Razorback fans, but this is how I think as well. I'm not a fan of getting our asses kicked pretty much every year in SEC. I'd rather have false sense of security and win more in Big 12 with lower ticket prices and costs of attending games. But whatever.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

WilsonHog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 17, 2017, 07:50:05 pm
I may be in minority among U of A grads and lifetime Razorback fans, but this is how I think as well. I'm not a fan of getting our asses kicked pretty much every year in SEC. I'd rather have false sense of security and win more in Big 12 with lower ticket prices and costs of attending games. But whatever.

Agreed.

jkstock04

Quote from: Poker_hog on October 17, 2017, 07:32:01 pm
Pel was fired for not winning games even though everyone including Long were officially saying Pel was promised more time.  The last Pel year is pretty analogous to what's going on with the football team this year.  And even Pel at least had a strong recruiting class to point to as reason for hope.  Brets got nothing.
I disagree. I think Long fired him because we were becoming thug U in basketball. Rape accusations, drugs, theft, etc. Plus it helped he wasn't Longs hire.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ricepig

My brother is a long time OU season ticket holder, easily double the price of ours, I suspect Texas' are as well. Now, we probably could win some more games, but do we get the Louisiana kids playing in the Big 12??

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: ricepig on October 17, 2017, 08:09:26 pm
My brother is a long time OU season ticket holder, easily double the price of ours, I suspect Texas' are as well. Now, we probably could win some more games, but do we get the Louisiana kids playing in the Big 12??
Good question. Guess it depends on who the head coach is more than anything else. And we ain't OU and never will be so I can see how a program with 7 NC's will always have higher ticket prices and donation thresholds than a program like Arkansas.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

hobhog

Good grief get a grip.....

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: hobhog on October 17, 2017, 08:10:59 pm
Good grief get a grip.....
I feel like I have a firm grip on reality and what I prefer. Do you?

grayhawg

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 17, 2017, 08:05:59 pm
I disagree. I think Long fired him because we were becoming thug U in basketball. Rape accusations, drugs, theft, etc. Plus it helped he wasn't Longs hire.
Maybe because of losing and an empty Bud Walton Arena?

ricepig

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 17, 2017, 08:10:51 pm
Good question. Guess it depends on who the head coach is more than anything else. And we ain't OU and never will be so I can see how a program with 7 NC's will always have higher ticket prices and donation thresholds than a program like Arkansas.

K-States cheapest were $340 for the same ticket we got $250, Iowa St was the same at $250 for the cheapest, TCU $300, Texas Tech was $308, although it appeared there were a few rows at $205. So, I don't think you'd see cheaper ticket prices.

swineology

We lost to TCU, we'd lose to OU and OSU on a regular basis. Herman will turn the Shorthorns around. But we could beat Kansas and Baylor every year.

My solution is hire a legit coach that knows the SEC and the recruiting grounds.

my .02

PonderinHog

What we would see is this again.

No thanks, I've seen enough of that already.

hawgon

Bielema get a lot of credit for things going right off the field, but he gets none of the blame for things like a senior leader shoplifting from a bowl sponsor.  That was absolutely pathetic.  Or a senior receiver spitting on another player. 

Marshfieldhog

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 17, 2017, 08:05:59 pm

From what I remember Long went out of his way to cover up that stuff that was going on with Pel's Team. Yes, Mr. Integrity himself.

TrueBlue

Quote from: ricepig on October 17, 2017, 06:54:21 pm
Very doubtful, how many games do you make a year, season ticket holder?

People said the same thing in the late 90's about Bud Walton.

It later became a ghost town because of the quality of the product.

So keep thinking the fan base is indestructible, because it is not. 

Boarcephus

Quote from: ricepig on October 17, 2017, 08:09:26 pm

We don't have but 14 kids from LA on our roster anyway so it won't hurt much but we have 46 kids from AR. By comparison, OU has only 28 from OK.  It appears to me that we take the easy way out and sign kids from AR that we shouldn't be signing and that, IMO, is why we're struggling. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

ricepig

Quote from: Boarcephus on October 17, 2017, 08:32:16 pm
We don't have but 14 kids from LA on our roster anyway so it won't hurt much but we have 46 kids from AR. By comparison, OU has only 28 from OK.  It appears to me that we take the easy way out and sign kids from AR that we shouldn't be signing and that, IMO, is why we're struggling. 

Now compare how many from Louisiana are starting against Arkansas kids, I'd say a higher % from Louisiana start. I personally don't care where the player is from, I just want good ones.

Granny fan

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 17, 2017, 07:50:42 pm
Agreed.

I agree.

Pig in the Pokey

1) Bohl is lying through his teeth.
2) Bielema is done; already agreed to buyout sum.
3) Next coach is already a done deal. Ive told ya'll over and over, it's Leach. Be happy.
4) Long saved his job. If he tied himself to the hip w/ Bert like Bohl suggested they would BOTH be done.
5) Not sure if Leach will be able to bring Grinch with him or not as he may want (and get) the Wazzou job.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Boarcephus

Quote from: ricepig on October 17, 2017, 08:41:29 pm
Now compare how many from Louisiana are starting against Arkansas kids, I'd say a higher % from Louisiana start. I personally don't care where the player is from, I just want good ones.

And that's my point. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

ricepig

Quote from: Boarcephus on October 17, 2017, 08:58:05 pm
And that's my point. 

And, you've got to recruit the marginal Arkansas kids, just a fact of life.

98hogs

Quote from: elksnort on October 17, 2017, 06:41:07 pm
Or a 49ers game after the National Anthem is played !

Sundog

Long will not be fired now nor even in the foreseeable future.  Bert will coach in 2018 with an improved record which will be used to justify his continuance.

Boarcephus

Quote from: ricepig on October 17, 2017, 09:18:25 pm
And, you've got to recruit the marginal Arkansas kids, just a fact of life.

When half your roster is Arkansas kids you're in trouble. 

texas tush hog

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 17, 2017, 06:36:50 pm
I'm pretty certain leaving the SEC or lowering ticket prices is not going to happen.

Totally agree and I have been a season ticket holder since 1973.

texas tush hog

Quote from: Sundog on October 17, 2017, 09:24:25 pm
Long will not be fired now nor even in the foreseeable future.  Bert will coach in 2018 with an improved record which will be used to justify his continuance.

I hate to admit it, but I'm beginning to believe you may be right.

HogRealism

Well said I concur

ricepig

Quote from: Boarcephus on October 17, 2017, 09:24:36 pm
When half your roster is Arkansas kids you're in trouble. 

46/125 isn't half, you need to figure out scholarship guys from walkons, the LA guys aren't walkons.

factchecker

I thought the standard complaint was that we didn't offer enough Arkansas kids.

The constant cry is for us to get an Arkansan to lead the athletic department and an Arkansan to coach the Razorbacks.......but it's horrible for us to have Arkansans on the team?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS