Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why does any family pick up and move to another school for athletic purposes?

Started by JIHawg, February 06, 2015, 03:39:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JIHawg

What is the incentive?  Does the coach there convince them that they will have a better chance of getting a scholarship if they play there?  Or do they just not like the coach in their existing school?

I can understand someone moving a kid from a public school in east Little Rock to a private school with tuition waived.

But from one public school to another?  What is in it for the family, or the kid?

ricepig

yraciv

People move for athletic reasons only all the time. North Little Rock has been benefiting from Little Rock's lax transfer rules for awhile now.

collegestationhog

younghog

Quote from: ricepig on February 06, 2015, 03:40:47 pm
Looks like for $600.00.

YEP..

chump change compared to what I pay for SELECT SOCCER and SELECT BASEBALL here in TEJAS

~GO FIGURE I MEAN go HOGS
GO HOGS

hoglady

Quote from: JIHawg on February 06, 2015, 03:39:54 pm
What is the incentive?  Does the coach there convince them that they will have a better chance of getting a scholarship if they play there?  Or do they just not like the coach in their existing school?

I can understand someone moving a kid from a public school in east Little Rock to a private school with tuition waived.

But from one public school to another?  What is in it for the family, or the kid?

This coming fall go to a Parkview or Hall high school football game / then the next weekend go to NLR. You'll have the answer to your question. Fan support, facilties and coaching. If I had a kid that had D1 potential - he would play at NLR, PA or for Scooter Register at Central.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

ricepig

Quote from: younghog on February 06, 2015, 03:54:50 pm
YEP..

chump change compared to what I pay for SELECT SOCCER and SELECT BASEBALL here in TEJAS

Hell, I've paid more for t-ballers.....

longpig

Was Hill in Florida before Bryant or am I thinking of someone else?
Don't be scared, be smart.

Veritas Arkansas

Happens all the time.

Heck I remember when I was at Conway High.  Landon Leach's family picked up and moved away to Russelville because his family thought their son could have a great career throwing the football (and may have, if he didn't have to have surgery on his shoulder), and Conway at the time was throwing like, 7 passes a year.  If that.

We were all ticked at the time, but it really was hard to blame him in the grand scheme of things.
Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 02, 2017, 03:02:35 pm
I like to refer to myself as a bigot.  I have every right to be.

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on October 06, 2017, 01:23:52 pm
White Nationalists aren't any more evil than homosexuals.

KVG

Quote from: longpig on February 06, 2015, 04:37:55 pm
Was Hill in Florida before Bryant or am I thinking of someone else?
Madre London (RB at Michigan State) moved from Bryant to Florida

ChicoHog

Quote from: Veritas Arkansas on February 06, 2015, 04:39:38 pm
Happens all the time.

Heck I remember when I was at Conway High.  Landon Leach's family picked up and moved away to Russelville because his family thought their son could have a great career throwing the football (and may have, if he didn't have to have surgery on his shoulder), and Conway at the time was throwing like, 7 passes a year.  If that.

We were all ticked at the time, but it really was hard to blame him in the grand scheme of things.
What about the parent's jobs?  Or were they self employed like financial or insurance sales? 

MuskogeeHogFan

It happens in Oklahoma frequently though they say that the "vetting process" has been ramped up.

In some areas (and I am purposely being vague here) you will see kids that have demonstrated superior athletic potential or established ability, football in particular, suddenly move into various school districts who have uber-successful programs. Why do parents pick up and move their families from one district to another? In hopes that their kid will get better coaching, be a part of a more high profile upper division team that tends to be successful year in and year out and ultimately, perhaps get a scholarship to play football in college. Giving their kid every opportunity to have the greatest possible success.

Success isn't guaranteed but if it is a solicited arrangement, which by rule isn't allowed (and doesn't necessarily involve monetary compensation of any kind or a new job for the parents), it is almost certain that a transfer will see that particular transferee playing a great deal at the receiving school. You see a lot of families whose kids are great athletes pick up and move 10, 20, 30 miles, and have a new residence within a certain district, just so their kid can play within that district and perhaps have higher visibility in terms of publicity and recruiting coordinators.

It happens all the time.
Go Hogs Go!

Veritas Arkansas

Quote from: ChicoHog on February 06, 2015, 05:02:32 pm
What about the parent's jobs?  Or were they self employed like financial or insurance sales? 

I think his dad commuted.  Not sure what his mother did.

And I readily admit I could be wrong on this - there's probably folks on the board that knew him.
Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 02, 2017, 03:02:35 pm
I like to refer to myself as a bigot.  I have every right to be.

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on October 06, 2017, 01:23:52 pm
White Nationalists aren't any more evil than homosexuals.

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: Veritas Arkansas on February 06, 2015, 04:39:38 pm
Happens all the time.

The Matt Jones situation was similar. He was playing WR at Van Buren but his parents moved him to FS Northside so he could play QB.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

gawntrail

Redbug

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 06, 2015, 05:29:24 pm
It happens in Oklahoma frequently though they say that the "vetting process" has been ramped up.

In some areas (and I am purposely being vague here) you will see kids that have demonstrated superior athletic potential or established ability, football in particular, suddenly move into various school districts who have uber-successful programs. Why do parents pick up and move their families from one district to another? In hopes that their kid will get better coaching, be a part of a more high profile upper division team that tends to be successful year in and year out and ultimately, perhaps get a scholarship to play football in college. Giving their kid every opportunity to have the greatest possible success.

Success isn't guaranteed but if it is a solicited arrangement, which by rule isn't allowed (and doesn't necessarily involve monetary compensation of any kind or a new job for the parents), it is almost certain that a transfer will see that particular transferee playing a great deal at the receiving school. You see a lot of families whose kids are great athletes pick up and move 10, 20, 30 miles, and have a new residence within a certain district, just so their kid can play within that district and perhaps have higher visibility in terms of publicity and recruiting coordinators.

It happens all the time.

yep...I've lived here in Ada OK for close to 20 yrs....there is a reason why they have all those state championships in football...between cherry picking all the kids going to the dozen or so smaller schools nearby they keep their enrollment #'s down so they get to play easier competition while gathering the cream of the crop talent....along with having several talented sophomores in the region suddenly have their family pickup and move to Ada...what an amazing coincidence....now they have had a few really talented players that were here legit...Jeremy Shockey...Dan Cody (Ravens) moved from nearby Coalgate for his last 2 yrs...Barry Odom (Mizzou's DC) & his little brother Brian moved from maysville to Ada...

http://newsok.com/whatever-happened-to-ada-football/article/3606034

and they have an indoor workout facility that the local college would die for...

Linda and Archie Dunham Multi Purpose Facility
The Linda & Archie Dunham Multipurpose Facility is one of the largest highschool indoor practice facilities in the nation.  With an artificial turf playing surface that is over 80 yards long and 40 yards wide, all Ada High School athletic teams have ample room for practices.  The Ada High School Band, Cheerleaders, Couganns, and Flag Corp also make use of this great facility.

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Choctaw Hog

Parents living vicariously through their children.

grayhawg

If you think moving puts your son or daughter in a better situation, that is not a problem if there is no money changing hands.
However if they are good enough College coaches will find them, Austin Cantrell is a good example of that.

TeufelHog

Best case, long-shot future "NFL Meal Ticket."  Worst case, shot at a college degree for their child.  Pure and simple.

Piggfoot

It's been going on for years. A kid with athletic ability is found in a small school that either had a class B rating or no football team and a job was found for his dad in a larger town. Been going on for years.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on February 06, 2015, 06:22:25 pm

In some cases, but certainly not all. I want to believe that in most cases it is a matter of wanting to give your kids the best possible opportunity for the future if they seem to have a demonstrated ability to excel in a certain sport. That is how I would view it as a parent.
Go Hogs Go!

ricepig

Quote from: Piggfoot on February 06, 2015, 08:40:22 pm
It's been going on for years. A kid with athletic ability is found in a small school that either had a class B rating or no football team and a job was found for his dad in a larger town. Been going on for years.

Yep, been that way for years.

pigbacon

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: ChicoHog on February 06, 2015, 05:02:32 pm

Russellville and Conway aren't that far apart. Neither are NLR and Bryant.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Phenomenal One

NLR is pretty much considered THE program in central Arkansas, and is one of a few central Ar schools in the largest classification .... All of the other 7A programs in LR are in a down cycle right now  .... Moving to NLR put more eyes on KJ as a recruit for schools plus allowed him to increase his production, thus making him a more desirable target .... I have no idea about Bryant's offense or if KJ may have put up the same numbers at Bryant had he not transferred, but NLR is constantly getting their kids in these camps and combines, and you never see a kid from Bryant or Cabot or Conway in it .... KJ may have been just as good at Bryant, but you wouldn't be hearing his name all the time like you do at NLR, and you certainly wouldn't hear about his performance in the Sparq combine, let alone the Opening and all that stuff ....

Oklahawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 06, 2015, 05:29:24 pm

It happens all the time.

Prominent players in numerous sports magically appear at a new school. I agree, no need to name names ;)

Go study coaching changes at big programs and the next summer you're likely to see a big roster turnover (going and/or coming to the new coach). Several high-enrollment schools around here had a dramatic uptick in football recently (and often for just one year) specifically because of parents moving their kid for playing time consideration.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

To expand (Muskogee and I have talked about this together...McNellie's was it?):

the four largest schools in OK have monster enrollments and are all within 30 miles of each other (Broken Arrow, Jenks, Union and Owasso). 800+ per grade, all the way up to 1200 or so at BA.

If my son is the #2 at a position (pick a sport, really) at one of those programs he is likely pretty good. Even if it is #2 in his grade. Somewhere, there is a much smaller school that may lack a player of that talent. My child goes from being a back-up with no college options to a starter who can go to college and keep playing ball. An awful lot of parents would make the move given that logic.

NE OK baseball programs have players who have "permanent" residences in TX and FL but a parent lives with the player in the OK district to play for one of the teams.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

hogfan870

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on February 06, 2015, 06:22:25 pm

I think it is mostly this. However, I think it was all about money - both now and in the future - in the case of the kid going to Oh st. Seriously, I bet step dad was already making plans for his future sports agent business.

I really don't get the mentality where the primary focus isn't the best education

snoblind

Quote from: Oklahawg on February 07, 2015, 12:10:29 am
If my son is the #2 at a position (pick a sport, really) at one of those programs he is likely pretty good. Even if it is #2 in his grade. Somewhere, there is a much smaller school that may lack a player of that talent. My child goes from being a back-up with no college options to a starter who can go to college and keep playing ball. An awful lot of parents would make the move given that logic.

The naivety (I can think of better descriptive terms) of posters in these threads is, ah, amusing.   30 years ago the #2 tailback at our crosstown rival realized he was good enough to start for us his senior year.  An empty apartment on our side of town became his " residence" a week before fall camp.

We were cool with 188 yards and a victory against that rival.  And we had a place to go drink beer.

CattleCorn

Some schools don't have a program for a particular sport.  I have a member of my extended family whose parents moved to a different town to put him in a golf program, since their old school didn't have one.  In order for the opportunity to earn a golf scholarship.  Nothing odd about that to me.

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

gawntrail

Quote from: CattleCorn on February 07, 2015, 02:14:09 am
Some schools don't have a program for a particular sport.  I have a member of my extended family whose parents moved to a different town to put him in a golf program, since their old school didn't have one.  In order for the opportunity to earn a golf scholarship.  Nothing odd about that to me.

Me either.  Did he get the scholarship?

chiti66

Quote from: younghog on February 06, 2015, 03:54:50 pm
YEP..

Tell me about it!  We paid nearly 2k for select soccer here in E. Cobb.  Hell I paid nearly 1k for spring FB at Pope HS, and another $300.00 for Junior FB (5th grade).  So 600 bones is a "steal" for an athlete like the one that shall not be named!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Oklahawg on February 07, 2015, 12:10:29 am
To expand (Muskogee and I have talked about this together...McNellie's was it?):

the four largest schools in OK have monster enrollments and are all within 30 miles of each other (Broken Arrow, Jenks, Union and Owasso). 800+ per grade, all the way up to 1200 or so at BA.

NE OK baseball programs have players who have "permanent" residences in TX and FL but a parent lives with the player in the OK district to play for one of the teams.

I wasn't thinking about that scenario, but I am sure that happens as well. I've just paid more attention to those who suddenly move into the bigger school districts for football. In fact, I remember a particularly good player a few years back who moved from Owasso into the Union school district in Tulsa. I think it was Dominque Franks who went from Owasso to Union, then to Oklahoma and then played for a while for the Ravens in the NFL. 
Go Hogs Go!

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

longtimeHogfan

What effect, if any, will any of this have on Mr. Hill's scholarship and eligibility  at OSU?
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

hogslobber

Kim Dameron Bentonville to Rogers 1978.

His dad wanted him to play in a better program for a potential scholarship.

Worked out well for him.

Cody Kirby Marion to Rogers to play for Ronnie Peacock and throwing the ball.

His dad didn't want him to have to run the offense in Marion.

Worked out well for Cody.

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

Grizzlyfan

Go over to Fearless Friday and look for 5greenjellybeans, who believes that his 5'11 175 lb son is a future Heisman trophy winning running back. Runs a 4.3 40 yard dash.  yada yada yada.  Cabot to Greenwood.   He'll explain it to you.