Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The First Great Recruiting Class

Started by Fatty McGee, February 04, 2015, 01:11:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Fatty McGee

A look back at the very earliest days of recruiting.  No, not Arkansas specific but a great read nonetheless:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/notre-dame-frank-leahy-1946-football-recruiting-class-signing-day-impact/

"Some seven decades later, as yet another national signing day arrives, there's a reason beyond the sheer weight of its talent that Leahy's class still matters. That class coincided with a historical nexus, one of those watershed eras, similar to the present moment, in which college football came face to face with its own scarred soul: Those Notre Dame recruits went through school amid an essential tug-of-war between amateurism and the free market. And without that postwar debate, without the hand-wringing of the purported reformers and the defiance of the SEC, none of what we know as "modern recruiting" — the overzealous message-board posters, the ESPNU hat dances, the relentless sales pitches of middle-aged men to teenage prospects — might exist in its present form. But after it was over, there was no turning back."

. . .

" At some places, the payroll for athletes was upward of $100,000; an All-American halfback named Shorty McWilliams transferred from West Point after the 1945 season because Mississippi State boosters reportedly offered him $15,000 in cash, a $300-a-month job, use of a car, and a job after graduation. At Maryland, a young coach fresh out of the service named Paul "Bear" Bryant loaded a group from his Navy pre-flight squad onto a bus, enrolled them with a "double scholarship" from the GI Bill and athletic grants, and won his first game a week later by a score of 60-6."
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

DeltaBoy

LOL pay to play was common all over the place back then.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 04, 2015, 01:18:59 pm
LOL pay to play was common all over the place back then.

Always has been and probably always will be............................. This "full cost of attendance" will not change it for the better either. Could even make it worse.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi