Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does Super Bowl 49 prove you have to push the envelope to win?

Started by sooeey pig pig pig, February 01, 2015, 11:03:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sooeey pig pig pig

Some call it cheating, Patriots call it winning.   

Nobody seems to care about Spygate or Deflategate tonight.

How far is too far when pushing the envelope?

Bubba's Bruisers

Deflation gate is so overblown.  Had no affect on that game.  Players cheat all the time on the field to gain an advantage.  It'll never be stopped.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

theFlyingHog

What was the final score of that Pats-Colts game?? 40something to 7? And the football psi had everything to do with that? People love buying into the garbage the media spits out

Albert Einswine

Chris Carter is acting like an idiot about it.

Brady broke the Super Bowl record for completions, the Pats didn't fumble, receivers didn't drop balls and the balls were regulation.

Everybody is just going to have to deal with it.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

RazorChuck

Arkfan

The National Championship trophies at Alabama, Ohio State, Auburn, and a few other schools proved that a long time before Super Bowl 49.

DeltaBoy

The No Call on the WR that was tripped on 3rd down in the 4th Quarter was so bad the Broadcasters even commented on it. New England is a Cheat to win program.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 02, 2015, 07:52:21 am
The No Call on the WR that was tripped on 3rd down in the 4th Quarter was so bad the Broadcasters even commented on it. New England is a Cheat to win program.
So having a penalty not called is cheating?  The Seahawks and the Pats DB's hold and grab on every play knowing the refs won't call them all.   I guess everyone cheats then.

jkstock04

Quote from: Albert Einswine on February 01, 2015, 11:28:17 pm

Brady broke the Super Bowl record for completions, the Pats didn't fumble, receivers didn't drop balls and the balls were regulation.

Beyond obvious where your bias is gonna be here...lol.

If what they are saying is true then there is still an ongoing investigation. Personally, I don't think anything will happen to the Patriots, but I won't be surprised if the NFL takes measures to see this doesn't happen again in the future.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

popcornhog

Quote from: sooeey pig pig pig on February 01, 2015, 11:03:30 pm

I would say that it proves that you should run the ball on 2nd and goal on the 1 with :20 to go and a timeout remaining to ensure a win.
WPS

discombobulationist

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 02, 2015, 07:52:21 am

The refs also missed a roughing the kicker on Seattle that would have given NE a first down. So both teams were robbed of a first down and had to punt. I'd say that the game was pretty evenly called.
Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 05, 2014, 02:17:08 pmISIS could be overrunning your city and Rick would talk about how nice it is to have new neighbors.

hogsanity

Cheating has to be defined, and sometimes it is not easy to do. If golf, if you use the old foot wedge to get out of a bad lie, that is obviously cheating. To me cheating is a deliberate act. If a DB is going for a pass breakup, and gets there early and hits the WR, was he cheating, or did he just mis-time his hit?

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jm

I don't know what the punishment should be now that the superbowl is over, but it should be severe. Someone within their organization altered the equipment used in the game. It is similar to a using  a corked bat. It's not a big enough advantage to change a church league hitter into a major league hitter, but it is an advantage. I don't know if using regulation footballs would have changed the outcome of that game or not, but it might have. Also; this isn't a situation where you can single out an individual. Who asked for the ball to be altered, the QB, the center, the receivers? Someone made the decision to alter the ball. It is the organizations obligation to control these issues, and they meet that obligation.

scruf

Quote from: sooeey pig pig pig on February 01, 2015, 11:03:30 pm

[attachment deleted by admin]

TexHog188

Quote from: Albert Einswine on February 01, 2015, 11:28:17 pm

The argument for deflated balls being an advantage had more to do with frigid weather and the ability to grip it better in those conditions.  I'm not sure anyone would argue that under perfect conditions it would be a big deal.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

Albert Einswine

Quote from: TexHog188 on February 02, 2015, 05:49:51 pm
The argument for deflated balls being an advantage had more to do with frigid weather and the ability to grip it better in those conditions.  I'm not sure anyone would argue that under perfect conditions it would be a big deal.

Yeah, I understand the argument just fine, and I don't condone it if anyone in the organization was violating the league's rules for air pressure in footballs, but I just think way too much is being made about not too much in the grand scheme.

The Patriots succeed because no one prepares any better. Air pressure doesn't have anything to do with blocking, tackling, rushing, route running and reading defenses.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

sooeey pig pig pig

TexHog188

I get it too, some rules just don't apply if you're really good at everything else.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

ar_hog_fan

Quote from: jm on February 02, 2015, 10:36:36 am
I don't know what the punishment should be now that the superbowl is over, but it should be severe. Someone within their organization altered the equipment used in the game. It is similar to a using  a corked bat. It's not a big enough advantage to change a church league hitter into a major league hitter, but it is an advantage. I don't know if using regulation footballs would have changed the outcome of that game or not, but it might have. Also; this isn't a situation where you can single out an individual. Who asked for the ball to be altered, the QB, the center, the receivers? Someone made the decision to alter the ball. It is the organizations obligation to control these issues, and they meet that obligation.

I'm sorry, but those balls had nothing to do with the outcome of that game. The score was 17-7 at the half. The psi issue was then discovered and regulation balls were brought in for the second half. In the second half, with regulation footballs, the Pats outscored Indy 28-0. So take that for what it's worth.

hawkhawg

I think it proved that if you have a great qb and a great coach all the other positions are dispensable.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: theFlyingHog on February 01, 2015, 11:16:05 pm
What was the final score of that Pats-Colts game?? 40something to 7? And the football psi had everything to do with that? People love buying into the garbage the media spits out

Can't wait to see what the HV conspiracy theorists say when they find out that the grass under the players feet in the Super Bowl venue was cultivated for 2 years in Alabama.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Lake City Hog

So, did they change the football when Indy went on offense? NE used the deflated footballs and Indy used the properly inflated footballs???
Seems like that would be the only way that either team gained an advantage from the air pressure in the football.

TexHog188

Each team has their own set of footballs that they used on offense. Rule says they must meet a certain specification for size/weight. So if one team deflates their footballs it has no impact on the other team when they are on offense. It's not really whether the violation affected the outcome, just that one team cheated.  Corking a bat in baseball might be a good example. Is it ok if one team corks their bats as long as they beat the other team really badly with a bunch of base hits but no homers? 

Choctaw Hog

Jump to wrong conclusions and don't let facts get in your way.

Report: Only one of Patriots' 12 balls were under-inflated by two pounds

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/02/01/deflategate-only-one-patriots-football-underinflated

Only one of the 12 New England Patriots footballs used in the team's AFC Championship game win against the Indianapolis Colts was under-inflated by a full two pounds, according to NFL.com's Ian Rapoport. 

"Several" other balls were found to be roughly one pound under-inflated, and "several more" were either right at, or barely beneath, the correct inflation mark.

The one football under-inflated by two pounds is in the NFL's possession for purposes of its ongoing investigation as to whether the Patriots purposefully deflated their footballs in order to gain an advantage over the Colts. 

Footage exists of an "elderly" employee carrying both the Patriots and Colts' footballs into a Gillette Stadium bathroom before the AFC Championship game for approximately 90 seconds.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said Friday in his press conference that the league has not made any judgments yet as to the Patriots' guilt or innocence in the matter.

On Thursday, NFLPA President DeMaurice Smith said the league had decided to interview Patriots team members after the Super Bowl.

TexHog188

Rzbakfromwaybak

I believe it proves......you don't call stupid plays on the opponent's 1 yard line with under a minute to play, & the game on the line...
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.