Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Worst play call in the history of the NFL

Started by Topcat, February 01, 2015, 09:08:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mhuff

Quote from: hoglady on February 01, 2015, 09:48:09 pm
They still had 1 time out.

Thanks..... I am not trying to bash Chaney because he is no longer here. Thank you Mr. Chaney...... BUT, some of his calls were like this where I would scratch my head..... Four down territory.... third down ..... two yards for first down...... two 1000 yd RB's and we throw for 15 yds over the receivers head and out of bounds.  I guess we were trying to fool the opposition..... our guys just needed to jump 8' higher.  ;)

passinghog

Smiling ear to ear, since we're always reminded that Russell Wilson NEVER makes mistakes....hah!

Topcat

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on February 01, 2015, 10:00:42 pm
And if it had been a TD you would have been the 1st one on here posting about what a great call it was. 
Thanks for your input. Now please leave.

SquidBilly

N HOG

Run Lynch 3 times from the one. If he doesn't score, shake   Pats' hands and go to the house.

RedBird5

Wouldn't consider 5'10" and 6'1" huge honestly, though Matthews looked pretty big.  He obviously didn't do anything until tonight though so....

quote author=EastexHawg link=topic=587469.msg9529469#msg9529469 date=1422847201]
How about that incredibly clutch Russell Wilson?  I almost spit out my food when Chris Collinsworth called him "great".

I know the play call is to blame for the ending, but the play wasn't there and he threw it right to the defender.

He almost never throws timing routes.  He throws the ball up for grabs and his huge receivers make tremendous catches to pull it down.
[/quote]

Hogarusa

Quote from: HogAlum99 on February 01, 2015, 09:12:35 pm
One of the main reasons I don't follow the NFL like I used to. It seems like running the ball is against the rules sometimes and even when football wisdom tells you that you have to run it, a play like that is called. I will take the college game anyday!

That play call happens all the time in college as well.  Except college teams like to go spread shotgun inside the 4 and then throw a fade. 
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

hawgwild child

Would I have given it to lynch,  probably.  But everyone in the world thought they would and NE threw in the GL defense.   That play could of easily been executed in those circumstances.  I think the play by the DB on a rub route to time the jump and actually picks the ball off is an amazing play. The play was designed to attack the rookie he just made one of the best plays in super bowl history

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 01, 2015, 09:20:01 pm
How about that incredibly clutch Russell Wilson?  I almost spit out my food when Chris Collinsworth called him "great".

I know the play call is to blame for the ending, but the play wasn't there and he threw it right to the defender.

He almost never throws timing routes.  He throws the ball up for grabs and his huge receivers make tremendous catches to pull it down.

We agree.  But I'd still take him. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: hawgwild child on February 01, 2015, 10:25:02 pm
Would I have given it to lynch,  probably.  But everyone in the world thought they would and NE threw in the GL defense.   That play could of easily been executed in those circumstances.  I think the play by the DB on a rub route to time the jump and actually picks the ball off is an amazing play. The play was designed to attack the rookie he just made one of the best plays in super bowl history
exactly!
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

Bubba's Bruisers

Can't remember a more exciting SB.  Better than NO/INDY and DEN/GB...IMO.

Have to credit Brady.  Down 10 in the 4th against the best D n the NFL, and he drives them down the field twice for 2 TD's. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

WhiteHairedDevil

I can say with a 100% certainty that Nutt would have ran the ball on that last play. Lol

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 01, 2015, 09:20:01 pm

QB's get way too much of the credit and blame too often. 

short pass, short pass, short pass, int - db gets hurt, short pass vs backup db, short pass vs backup db, pass vs LB, short pass vs backup db, pass vs lb, int, short pass vs backup db, short pass vs backup db, TD, win, legend ::)

Wilson completed 12 passes all game.  The O/U from Vegas I saw for his completions was 17 and I knew the under was an easy play. 

You have two run options in Lynch (FIRST OPTION) or Wilson or run that pick play to the outside where it is incomplete or a TD.  Inside it can be tipped, or bounce off the receivers hand or pads for an int or what happened.  I would be tempted to fire someone for that call. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ghostzapper

Play call was likely made possible by Bill Bellichick's inexplicable refusal to use a TO before that play.  Had he done so, Petey has more time to think about it, probably wises up and calls run.

Hogsmo Kramer

Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

Smokehouse

Quote from: ricepig on February 01, 2015, 09:39:43 pm
@ESPNStatsInfo:Marshawn Lynch had 5 previous runs from the 1 this season and had scored only one touchdown.

Heck, if you're worried about Marshawn spread it out and pull a designed QB run. Wilson had room on the left side, if he didn't make it you still have the timeout in your pocket.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

hawgwild child

Quote from: ghostzapper on February 01, 2015, 11:00:45 pm
Play call was likely made possible by Bill Bellichick's inexplicable refusal to use a TO before that play.  Had he done so, Petey has more time to think about it, probably wises up and calls run.
Another great point.  With not calling the timeout it actually made the Seahawks outmatched in that situation with a spread attack vs a goal line defense. Carroll was probably anticipating a Timeout.  Carroll was probably baffled a bit, had NE called a timeout Seattle probably wins that game

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: mhuff on February 01, 2015, 09:45:36 pm

Did they not have a timeout so that they could run a play and call TO if they did not score?

Whoever was responsible for that play call, had a ....."brain timeout".....
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

HognitiveDissonance

Stupid call.
Not so guaranteed, but much better, was Lynch. You know NE was geared up to stop that.
So actually the best call to me would have been a fake to Lynch and a roll out/naked bootleg for R Wilson, who is a great runner. Maybe even have a pass option to a TE if the run appears bottled up, or even throw it away. It seems NFL defenses rarely defend a running QB very well, so that's the call I would have made. If it doesn't work, then you burn your timeout.

Milton

Quote from: Douglas on December 04, 2012, 06:23:54 pm
We've had it with 1 hit wonders coming in, making posts reeking of wanton jackwagonry and then not doing anything about it.

RazorChuck

Quote from: hamsam on February 01, 2015, 09:29:53 pm
I thought it was a great call... but then again, I hate the Seahawks!
I hate you stealer fan, you can eat a bag of Richards cheater lover!

PaintballHog

After listening to Pete's explanation, it was the right call.

You have 3 chances for the endzone with 1 time out on 2nd down.

If you run it on 2nd down, you have to call a timeout. Then you have to throw it on 3rd down, because if you run it, there's no way to stop the clock for a try on 4th down.

So you have to throw the ball on 2nd or 3rd down, if you wait til 3rd down, the defense will know you are throwing it. Throw it on 2nd down gives you the chance to run marshawn on 3rd and 4th down.

Pete said when they called the play and lined up, the pats stayed in their goal line set to stop the run, so they had a good look.

It was just a freak defensive play by a rookie to win it for his team. It should be more about him than the seahawks.

TexArkHogFan

This quote has been around forever or some version of it.  No one knows the original author.

The harder I work, the luckier I get.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

HognVA

I was happy. Seahawks talk WAY too much and Wilson has gotten WAY too much  love. I never cheer for the Pats but I don't think I could stand Seattle wining two in a row.

hoglady

Quote from: PaintballHog on February 02, 2015, 07:24:11 am

If you run it on 2nd down, you have to call a timeout. Then you have to throw it on 3rd down, because if you run it, there's no way to stop the clock for a try on 4th down.

So you have to throw the ball on 2nd or 3rd down, if you wait til 3rd down, the defense will know you are throwing it. Throw it on 2nd down gives you the chance to run marshawn on 3rd and 4th down.

Pete said when they called the play and lined up, the pats stayed in their goal line set to stop the run, so they had a good look.

It was just a freak defensive play by a rookie to win it for his team. It should be more about him than the seahawks.

I don't know.
It's a good play call when you have Tom Brady as your QB.
Not such a good play call with Russell Wilson and a weak receiver.
Chris Carter was talking last night that a really good receiver doesn't allow that int to happen. He had a point.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

PaintballHog

Quote from: hoglady on February 02, 2015, 07:39:28 am
I don't know.
It's a good play call when you have Tom Brady as your QB.
Not such a good play call with Russell Wilson and a weak receiver.
Chris Carter was talking last night that a really good receiver doesn't allow that int to happen. He had a point.

I don't agree with that throw, but you had to throw it there. Should've just made the same throw from when they scored at the half.

Hogsenburg

Did the superbowl trophy look a little deflated last night?

hogcard1964

bighogonthewall

Quote from: Showtimehog on February 01, 2015, 10:03:50 pm
Smiling ear to ear, since we're always reminded that Russell Wilson NEVER makes mistakes....hah!

The Pats gave Pete Carroll the look he wanted so he/OC called the play. Wilson put the ball where it was suppose to be. Butler just jumped the route and made a heck of a play. No way that was on Wilson.

Pork Twain

This call was indeed a real head scratcher
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 02, 2015, 08:02:09 am
This call was indeed a real head scratcher

To the average fan any call that doesn't work is a head scratcher..................and any that does is a brilliant call. I did like what Michael Irvin said after the game "I'd rather go down trying to do what I do best and that is run the ball with my best player". I can also see the opposite view and say "We knew they were thinking we would run the ball and it was only second down so we thought we would try something they didn't expect and then have two more downs to try to punch it in running". That is pretty much what Pete Carroll was saying. It was in fact a great play by Butler though.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

EastexHawg

The ball was snapped with 26 seconds left.  If you hand it to Lynch and he doesn't score you call timeout with something like 22 seconds remaining.

From there, you call two plays in the huddle. 

22 seconds is plenty of time to run two plays, especially considering you won't have receivers 40 yards downfield who have to get back to the line of scrimmage.

Besides, how much time did Seattle run off the clock before snapping it between the Lynch run and the interception?  They were certainly in no hurry to get their plays off.

It was a stupid play call and time is no excuse.  Throwing the ball into the middle of the field when every defender is within two or three yards of the line of scrimmage is crazy, especially with the Super Bowl hanging in the balance.  A lot of things could have gone wrong...and one of them did.

COCHISE

Still a bad decision. If you need to pass in that situation, you throw it to the back or the corner of the end zone, where only your player has a shot at it. If he misses, it goes out of bounds. With the Pats being in their goal line defense on the 1, there were way too many bodies to throw it where he did.

peevedpaul

Quote from: hawgwild child on February 01, 2015, 10:25:02 pm

This^

Throw on second down. If it's incomplete, you still have a timeout and the run option on third down. The play call wasn't as "boneheaded" as some might suggest. The DB made a heck of a play!

bpoecell

The play was there. You can see here that the pick worked perfectly:

http://twitter.com/StatsNBCSports/status/562092941800251392/photo/1

If Wilson put that ball on the 1 he would've walked in. Instead he put it on the goal line and gave the db a better chance at it than the receiver.

Still, I don't see how you don't hurry back to the line and run the same play with Lynch again. That's what happens when you try to get too cute.

acey33

hogwild6700

I get why everyone says it was a dumb call. It's certainly easy to say "he shoulda run it" when the pass didn't work. You gotta give that rookie respect for making a great jump on the ball.
Two little mice fell in a bucket of cream. The first mouse quickly gave up and drowned. The second mouse, wouldn't quit. He struggled so hard that eventually he churned that cream into butter and crawled out. Gentlemen, as of this moment, I am that second mouse.

1highhog

that was a Broyles call, straight from the 69 shootout.  Broyles went against all reason and went to a pass play while going in for a death knell to Texas TD and plays cutesy and wants to pass the ball, all the while Coach Wilson Matthews is pleading with him, Coach, just lets kick the damn FG and win this game and go home.  Broyles gets cute, pass gets picked, a few minutes later, Texas ties the game and goes for two and wins the game.  Yep, while Carroll was Coaching here, he must have picked that kind of thinking up, blew that game, totally on him.  Same as them blowing the game against Texas vs. USC.

EastexHawg

Quote from: hogwild6700 on February 02, 2015, 09:38:18 am
You gotta give that rookie respect for making a great jump on the ball.

How many steps did he have to take to get there?  Why would you assume the DBs would wait until the receivers are in the end zone to pick them up?

How much arc is the QB going to get on a one yard pass?  How many defensive linemen does he have to throw it past...at head level?  There are about 15-16 bodies in a ten foot deep space.  What if the ball is tipped in the air by either a defender or your receiver?

It's not just that everyone is saying it was a dumb call.  It was a dumb call.

20gauge

Quote from: ricepig on February 01, 2015, 09:39:43 pm
@ESPNStatsInfo:Marshawn Lynch had 5 previous runs from the 1 this season and had scored only one touchdown.
Yeah but dont you at least give him one shot at it?

BorderPatrol

007 License To Squeal

Truth is stranger than fiction........The game was virtually over...
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

007 License To Squeal

When a QB throws a pass, 3 things can happen......and 2 of them are bad.......well, in this case, only ONE of them is bad......and it happened.
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

GoHogs1091

I heard on The Golf Channel this morning that was the 109th pass thrown from the 1 yard line in the NFL this season, and that was the first one intercepted last night out of the 109.

twistitup

Quote from: RazorChuck on February 02, 2015, 07:12:29 am
You are an IDIOT

Yeah ok, that final Seahawks bomb was drawn up that way! No luck involved....the pass w as supposed to be broken up, ball bounce off leg and caught w reciever on ground.

No luck there- pure skill

twistitup

Youngsta71701

"The more things change the more they stay the same"