Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Worst play call in the history of the NFL

Started by Topcat, February 01, 2015, 09:08:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on February 01, 2015, 10:00:42 pm
And if it had been a TD you would have been the 1st one on here posting about what a great call it was.

I would have still thought it was a bad call.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 02, 2015, 08:28:57 am
The ball was snapped with 26 seconds left.  If you hand it to Lynch and he doesn't score you call timeout with something like 22 seconds remaining.

From there, you call two plays in the huddle. 

22 seconds is plenty of time to run two plays, especially considering you won't have receivers 40 yards downfield who have to get back to the line of scrimmage.

Besides, how much time did Seattle run off the clock before snapping it between the Lynch run and the interception?  They were certainly in no hurry to get their plays off.

It was a stupid play call and time is no excuse.  Throwing the ball into the middle of the field when every defender is within two or three yards of the line of scrimmage is crazy, especially with the Super Bowl hanging in the balance.  A lot of things could have gone wrong...and one of them did.

^^^^This^^^^^
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

hogwild6700

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 02, 2015, 09:45:33 am
How many steps did he have to take to get there?  Why would you assume the DBs would wait until the receivers are in the end zone to pick them up?

How much arc is the QB going to get on a one yard pass?  How many defensive linemen does he have to throw it past...at head level?  There are about 15-16 bodies in a ten foot deep space.  What if the ball is tipped in the air by either a defender or your receiver?

It's not just that everyone is saying it was a dumb call.  It was a dumb call.

Forget the amount of steps it took. A DB doesn't have a whole lot of time to make a play on a throw like that. It's not like the ball was in the air for 4-5 seconds. Russell's throw wasn't that bad. The DB (funny I don't even know his name) made a quick and physical play towards the ball-all 185 pounds of him. That is a lot more difficult to do in a goal line situation than you are giving credit for.

As for the call-YES, looking back on it now it was a dumb call....even more so when you consider the result. But again-it's easy to play the blame game after seeing the outcome.

What I saw was a Patriots team down 10 that came back and won. That's the largest deficit a team has ever overcome in a Super Bowl. They did it with Offence and Defence. The Seahawks wouldn't have even been in a position to make that "dumb call" had it not been for an immaculate reception/David Tyree type of catch on 3rd down.

For what it's worth I didn't have a dog in the fight. My team was at home watching it (in Dallas). I just wanted to see a great game and we all obviously got that.
Two little mice fell in a bucket of cream. The first mouse quickly gave up and drowned. The second mouse, wouldn't quit. He struggled so hard that eventually he churned that cream into butter and crawled out. Gentlemen, as of this moment, I am that second mouse.

oldbear

I completely agree with Eastex.  I didn't like the pass call at all.  However, if you are going to throw it, how does the oc justify having your 5'11" quarterback try to throw that short of a pass directly over the heads of his oline and the dline on a ball that needs to be thrown down low?  If you are going to throw, go with the boot leg, or fade or a swing or something deeper in the end zone and away from so many bodies.  There is nowhere to throw the ball away to on that play.  If you want to throw the slant, throw the slant out wide.  Throw the back shoulder wide.  Nothing that is thrown over the middle and short, into the middle of a dozen bodies makes any sense.  You game plan for two weeks for this.  It is not that difficult to know your personnel and that play should not even be in the play book unless your quarterback is about 6'5".  He has no angle to throw from.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hawgwild child on February 01, 2015, 11:50:22 pm
Another great point.  With not calling the timeout it actually made the Seahawks outmatched in that situation with a spread attack vs a goal line defense. Carroll was probably anticipating a Timeout.  Carroll was probably baffled a bit, had NE called a timeout Seattle probably wins that game

They were in a goal line 3 corner defense so there was no mismatch. No excuse is good enough there. Run the ball...

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

moses_007

The ball was actually on about the one foot line when the quarterback threw that ball.  Wilson could have scored on a quarterback sneak.  I suspect Carroll thought he could catch the Patriots napping and complete the easy slant pass for the touchdown, but the play simply didn't work.

PorkSoda

Quote from: jojogunn on February 01, 2015, 09:44:07 pm
Only three things can happen when you throw the ball and two of them are bad :razorback:
same can be said for running the ball
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

RonBurgundy

Lost in all of this back-slapping, circlejerk of a "discussion" is the fact that if that pass is complete or if the Seahawks take the lead on the next play with very little time left, Belichick not taking a timeout with :50 left would be the consensus "worst call in the history of the NFL."  They were both risks.  One paid off, the other did not.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: twistitup on February 02, 2015, 02:15:52 pm
Obviously....luck is a beautiful thing

Yes sir! Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: jojogunn on February 01, 2015, 09:44:07 pm
Only three things can happen when you throw the ball and two of them are bad :razorback:

I hate to be technical but actually a lot of things can happen.

Good- Complete pass or Pass Interference
Bad- Incomplete pass or Interception

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 02, 2015, 03:59:07 pm

In this particular case, an incomplete pass would have stopped the clock....which would have been a good thing.
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

1hogfan

They didn't want Lynch to score 'cause he wouldn't talk to the media!

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 02, 2015, 12:47:13 pm
I would have still thought it was a bad call.

Of course you would, just like you did when Russell threw a TD pass from the 3 yd line in the 3rd.

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 02, 2015, 12:59:49 pm
They were in a goal line 3 corner defense so there was no mismatch. No excuse is good enough there. Run the ball...

You obviously have a great football mind and are one of the very best play callers, after the play has been run, that mankind has ever seen.  Really, you should apply for the Seattle job and share these post with them.  I'm sure they will give then the appropriate consideration. 

rusvegashog

Marshawn Lynch and Richard Sherman's faces were priceless, especially Sherman's. These two spoiled jack holes made me actually pull for the New England Patriots, I'm so glad it went down that way. Just curious post game did Lynch have any comments on the situation and how many times did Sherman remind us all of his superior intellect. Y'all know he went to Stanford, right?

Pistol Pete

I still have images of Pete Carroll in my mind, laughing his ass off when they beat the crap out of us...

Hey Pete! Hahahaha, HAHAhahaha! HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!

Hogfaniam

Fan party Language.  Reaction part is at the end.

"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

sooeey pig pig pig

Quote from: Hogfaniam on February 03, 2015, 10:28:26 am

Hahahahahahaha

That's great Hogfaniam!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Pistol Pete on February 03, 2015, 08:51:09 am
I still have images of Pete Carroll in my mind, laughing his ass off when they beat the crap out of us...

Hey Pete! Hahahaha, HAHAhahaha! HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!

And guess where he was a GA coach in 77...........
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

20gauge

Saw it again this morning on Mike and Mike. Golic brought up a good point. If you watch the replay even if he catches the pass it would have been a TD. The DB knocks him back from the 1 yard line and they would have had to use a TO. Even with forward momentum he still woudlnt have been in the endzone.

Bad call and bad pass.

majp51

Quote from: Topcat on February 01, 2015, 09:08:09 pm
Pass play called on 2nd and goal from the 1 with Lynch just running for a 4 yard gain on the previous play. What are you doing?

I don't know, I kind of found it fitting that the Head Coach who benefitted from the rare brand of Head Coaching lunacy employed by Mike McCarthy, pulls a Mike McCarthy the very next game.

jesterzzn

Quote from: PorkSoda on February 02, 2015, 02:34:42 pm
same can be said for running the ball
Everything bad that can happen on a run play can also happen on a pass play.

Steef

Didn't watch the game. Just saw the replay of the interception....just now.

How was that not pass interference?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: steefhog on February 03, 2015, 06:18:16 pm
Didn't watch the game. Just saw the replay of the interception....just now.

How was that not pass interference?

Butler was playing the ball all the way.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Steef

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 03, 2015, 06:55:12 pm
Butler was playing the ball all the way.

Looked to me like he hit the receiver before he touched the ball.

Admittedly, I dont ever watch pro ball. But that ought to be PI.

jesterzzn

Quote from: steefhog on February 03, 2015, 07:55:14 pm

Both players have an equal opportunity for the ball.  The contact came making a play on the ball.  No foul.

Steef

Quote from: jesterzzn on February 03, 2015, 08:05:26 pm
Both players have an equal opportunity for the ball.  The contact came making a play on the ball.  No foul.

Well, there wasnt a flag or replay. So you must be right.

Used to be, if you physically knocked a receiver out of the way, it was PI.

Im glad I gave up pro ball.

Pistol Pete

Quote from: steefhog on February 03, 2015, 08:23:44 pm
Well, there wasnt a flag or replay. So you must be right.

Used to be, if you physically knocked a receiver out of the way, it was PI.

Im glad I gave up pro ball.

Receivers climb all over the DB's to get to a ball in the air. They have no special privilege to not be touched when both are going for the ball.

Pistol Pete

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 03, 2015, 03:18:16 pm
And guess where he was a GA coach in 77...........

Yes, I know.

He's a great coach, a players coach. He even looks the other way when his star running back's parents live in a house in Malibu that they don't own...

Or something like that. 😉

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: steefhog on February 03, 2015, 07:55:14 pm

You could also say the receiver hit him and interfered with Butlers right to the ball then. Butler was clearly making a play on the ball and got to the spot before the receiver. Interception.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 04, 2015, 08:24:07 am
You could also say the receiver hit him and interfered with Butlers right to the ball then. Butler was clearly making a play on the ball and got to the spot before the receiver. Interception.

The defender has the right to arrive at the ball at the same time as the receiver, and has the same right to the ball that the receiver does. You are correct, good interception.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Inhogswetrust

February 04, 2015, 08:48:12 am #133 Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 01:05:14 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Pistol Pete on February 03, 2015, 09:33:38 pm
Yes, I know.

He's a great coach, a players coach. He even looks the other way when his star running back's parents live in a house in Malibu that they don't own...

Or something like that. 😉

Haha! Good one. He doesn't have to worry about those things in the pros. I think that's one reason among many why a lot of successful college coaches want to try the pros.

Dumb ole famrboy

February 04, 2015, 08:50:51 am #134 Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 09:09:24 am by Dumb ole famrboy
Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 02, 2015, 03:59:07 pm

Incomplete pass is not bad in the Seahawks situation with only 1 timeout- it stops the clock. A pass insures 3 plays at a TD without having clock worries and hurried alignments.

The play was not the smartest of calls. But the execution was even worse. The receiver should have run a diving route. Laid out at knee level or lower. The pass should have been low with a groundward type trajectory. Still a pass to the middle is not the smartest option.

RazorChuck

Quote from: rusvegashog on February 03, 2015, 08:45:15 am
Marshawn Lynch and Richard Sherman's faces were priceless, especially Sherman's. These two spoiled jack holes made me actually pull for the New England Patriots, I'm so glad it went down that way. Just curious post game did Lynch have any comments on the situation and how many times did Sherman remind us all of his superior intellect. Y'all know he went to Stanford, right?
I am pulling for you to die in a fire.

RazorChuck

Quote from: Hogfaniam on February 03, 2015, 10:28:26 am

I HATE YOU SO MUCH!
HOW I WISH I COULD HURT YOU!