Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bielema almost left Wisconsin for the Dolphins in 2012?

Started by JackJohnson, January 30, 2015, 11:20:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JackJohnson

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9457/stephen-ross

The Miami Herald reports the Dolphins were high on Wisconsin coach Bret Bielema before hiring Joe Philbin in 2012, but the sides disagreed on whether Russell Wilson could be an NFL starting quarterback.

This is an amazing story, and it's a slow news week ahead of the Super Bowl, so we'll shout it out. Per ace beat writer Armando Salguero, Dolphins owner Stephen was high on Bielema for the head-coaching job, but Bielema and the personnel department led by ex-GM Jeff Ireland hit a wall when Bielema suggested the Dolphins take Wilson in the second round of the 2012 draft. Bielema allegedly even promised the Dolphins a Super Bowl within five years if they take Wilson, who was Bielema's quarterback at Wisconsin. Bielema pulled out of the running for the job over "personnel issues," and the rest is history. Ireland took Ryan Tannehill with the No. 8 overall pick, and Wilson went to Seattle in the third round. The Dolphins remain doormats, while Wilson is going to back-to-back Super Bowls. Jan 30 - 12:10 PM

sooeey pig pig pig

Tannehill is by no means a slouch at QB.  Wilson, I've seen in statistics, has the most "help" of any QB in the NFL, for what it's worth... 

ifghog

Quote from: sooeey pig pig pig on January 30, 2015, 11:24:58 am
Tannehill is by no means a slouch at QB.  Wilson, I've seen in statistics, has the most "help" of any QB in the NFL, for what it's worth... 
Really dude??? Kinda missed the point a bit there dontcha think??

Paul

From what I've seen, Tannehill will never be the QB Wilson already is

sooeey pig pig pig

Quote from: Paul on January 30, 2015, 11:29:47 am

From what you've seen, the Dolphins will never be the team that Seattle already is, that's what you mean.  Wilson isn't asked to do very much at all.  Tannehill, on the other hand, has won several games in 2014 almost single-handedly. 

Craig O Squeal

I think the gist of the OP is the fact that CBB has an eye for talent and knows what it takes to win (including personnel). Perhaps what we can glean from this is that we should just sit back and let him do his job and let it play out. At least that's what I'm taking away from it.

code red

Quote from: Paul on January 30, 2015, 11:29:47 am
Wilson needs the zone read to succeed.  I believe he will lose badly this weekend and that his production will decline as his body slows down.  Brett had little influence on Wilson...even in college..he simply needed a QB....all the pieces were in place.  I would like to see Seattle beat the Pats but the Pats secondary is legit and Seattle will have to throw and they got little to no weapons at WR.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

rusvegashog

Possibly the most intriguing/interesting thing I've read on here in a while. I'd be interested to know how much of that Is true. CBB had Wison for that year but few things on here irk me more than when folks wanna give CBB credit for Wilson. He obviously in that year saw something very special about him though. Coach B's guaranteeing Super Bowls and SEC championships. Dudes not lacking in confidence. Just for the record I'm glad it worked out like it did. Just food for thought though between the Dolphins, all the Florida recruiting talk and a coach who loves flip flops and the sounds of Marley on the beach. I wonder what the odds are that his next coaching stop is in the Sunshine State? I'm all in on USF.

Smokehouse

Quote from: sooeey pig pig pig on January 30, 2015, 11:36:30 am
From what you've seen, the Dolphins will never be the team that Seattle already is, that's what you mean.  Wilson isn't asked to do very much at all.  Tannehill, on the other hand, has won several games in 2014 almost single-handedly.

As a Dolphins fan, this is really inflating Tannehill's game. His best stats have always come when the defense is playing well and Lamar Miller is fully healthy. There's been maybe one or two games in his NFL career where he's actually carried the majority of the load on offense.

I'd put Tannehill and Wilson on about an even level. Dolphins can win with Tannehill but they'll need a coach a heck of a lot better than Philbin to do it and a defense that doesn't collapse in the second half of the season.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

air

Wilson complements the team and is valuable even when having a bad QB day like the NFC championship game.

GolfnHog

Quote from: rusvegashog on January 30, 2015, 11:43:27 am
Possibly the most intriguing/interesting thing I've read on here in a while. I'd be interested to know how much of that Is true. CBB had Wison for that year but few things on here irk me more than when folks wanna give CBB credit for Wilson. He obviously in that year saw something very special about him though. Coach B's guaranteeing Super Bowls and SEC championships. Dudes not lacking in confidence. Just for the record I'm glad it worked out like it did. Just food for thought though between the Dolphins, all the Florida recruiting talk and a coach who loves flip flops and the sounds of Marley on the beach. I wonder what the odds are that his next coaching stop is in the Sunshine State.

Adding to all the elements you put forth don't lose sight of the fact that Jen is from FL and I believe her family still lives there. 
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

rusvegashog

code red

Quote from: air on January 30, 2015, 11:46:37 am
Wilson complements the team and is valuable even when having a bad QB day like the NFC championship game.
Very true.....but...he will need a big arm to win Sunday...and he doesn't have it.  Case in point.....when the Chiefs got up on Seattle this year by 2 scores they were done.  Chiefs bull rushed and dropped the LB and Wilson got abused.  Pats will get up by 14 and Brady is not gimpy like Rodgers was 2 weeks ago. 
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Craig O Squeal

Quote from: code red on January 30, 2015, 11:53:51 am
Very true.....but...he will need a big arm to win Sunday...and he doesn't have it.  Case in point.....when the Chiefs got up on Seattle this year by 2 scores they were done.  Chiefs bull rushed and dropped the LB and Wilson got abused.  Pats will get up by 14 and Brady is not gimpy like Rodgers was 2 weeks ago. 
OR.....the Pats could get up in the game and then "take the air out of the ball" in order to run some clock.... ;)

PiggoBitttys

My take-away from this is Beliema does have interest in the NFL. With the trajectory the Hogs are going, I have only worried about Iowa being a potential school that could attract CBB away from Arkansas. But it could be the NFL too. Oh well, no reason to really worry. If CBB proves himself worthy, we're going to have some fun times in Fayetteville. :D

SONofHAM

Quote from: Craig O Squeal on January 30, 2015, 11:39:55 am
I think the gist of the OP is the fact that CBB has an eye for talent and knows what it takes to win (including personnel). Perhaps what we can glean from this is that we should just sit back and let him do his job and let it play out. At least that's what I'm taking away from it.
This is all very true. 

But also, it shows BB has an eye for the NFL.  I bet he gets a shot at some point.  Hope it isn't anytime soon tho.
"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: rusvegashog on January 30, 2015, 11:43:27 am
Possibly the most intriguing/interesting thing I've read on here in a while. I'd be interested to know how much of that Is true. CBB had Wison for that year but few things on here irk me more than when folks wanna give CBB credit for Wilson. He obviously in that year saw something very special about him though. Coach B's guaranteeing Super Bowls and SEC championships. Dudes not lacking in confidence. Just for the record I'm glad it worked out like it did. Just food for thought though between the Dolphins, all the Florida recruiting talk and a coach who loves flip flops and the sounds of Marley on the beach. I wonder what the odds are that his next coaching stop is in the Sunshine State? I'm all in on USF.
I was with you until that last sentence. An NFL HC position is the only job I see CBB leaving Arkansas for.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Vantage 8 dude

Well whatever else you still have to perform on the field. At this point which would the vast majority judge to be the better QB?

clutch

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on January 30, 2015, 01:01:17 pm
Well whatever else you still have to perform on the field. At this point which would the vast majority judge to be the better QB?

Plus he's not even considering some of the things that Wilson does that his "help" isn't responsible for. There's really nobody in the NFL right now who is better at keeping a play alive than Wilson.

rusvegashog

Quote from: Poppa Tart on January 30, 2015, 12:50:49 pm
I was with you until that last sentence. An NFL HC position is the only job I see CBB leaving Arkansas for.
Yeah you're probably right. That last sentence was a modification an addendum to my original post. Just wanted to throw it out there in case it was to happen I'd look like a Hogville genius. It's sad really I used to have such loftier aspirations.

Hoggish1

Quote from: JackJohnson on January 30, 2015, 11:20:52 am
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9457/stephen-ross

The Miami Herald reports the Dolphins were high on Wisconsin coach Bret Bielema before hiring Joe Philbin in 2012, but the sides disagreed on whether Russell Wilson could be an NFL starting quarterback.

This is an amazing story, and it's a slow news week ahead of the Super Bowl, so we'll shout it out. Per ace beat writer Armando Salguero, Dolphins owner Stephen was high on Bielema for the head-coaching job, but Bielema and the personnel department led by ex-GM Jeff Ireland hit a wall when Bielema suggested the Dolphins take Wilson in the second round of the 2012 draft. Bielema allegedly even promised the Dolphins a Super Bowl within five years if they take Wilson, who was Bielema's quarterback at Wisconsin. Bielema pulled out of the running for the job over "personnel issues," and the rest is history. Ireland took Ryan Tannehill with the No. 8 overall pick, and Wilson went to Seattle in the third round. The Dolphins remain doormats, while Wilson is going to back-to-back Super Bowls. Jan 30 - 12:10 PM

We all saw RT during the aTm series and I don't think I'd be alone in saying he was no 17th pick in the first round. 

But, it sure worked out for us.

Hoggish1

Quote from: code red on January 30, 2015, 11:41:25 am
Wilson needs the zone read to succeed.  I believe he will lose badly this weekend and that his production will decline as his body slows down.  Brett had little influence on Wilson...even in college..he simply needed a QB....all the pieces were in place.  I would like to see Seattle beat the Pats but the Pats secondary is legit and Seattle will have to throw and they got little to no weapons at WR.

I don't see NE moving the ball for TDs on Seattle.  Then, in the early 4th Q the Pats will want no more of the stud running back...

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: code red on January 30, 2015, 11:41:25 am

Did Bielema use the zone read at Wisconsin?

EFBAB

longtimeHogfan

The Seahawks may have the best 'D' since the '85 Bears.  That may make Wilson's job a little easier. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

moehog

Quote from: PiggoBitttys on January 30, 2015, 12:13:03 pm
My take-away from this is Beliema does have interest in the NFL. With the trajectory the Hogs are going, I have only worried about Iowa being a potential school that could attract CBB away from Arkansas. But it could be the NFL too. Oh well, no reason to really worry. If CBB proves himself worthy, we're going to have some fun times in Fayetteville. :D

Was thinking the same thing - about the NFL. Dude can keep a secret.
"There is no hope for the satisfied man."

OneTuskOverTheLine™

If he does get us where we want to be and bolts for the NFL. I hope Jeff Long leaves the door open so we don't have to deal with him the same way LSU has to deal with Saban...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

LZH

Tannehill is a better athlete, but Wilson is the real deal...he's a sharp cat.  I wouldn't throw a fit if Tannehill were my QB, but I think Wilson is several steps ahead of him at this point in their career.

As for BB, I've been in his corner all along.      :P

pigbacon

Yeah, Wilson has all those world beater receivers.

Bubba's Bruisers

Id take Wilson over Tannehill, no doubt, but Comparing these QB's is really apples to oranges.  They aren't playing under the same conditions. 

Regardless, Luck is better than both by far.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

gawntrail

Quote from: moehog on January 30, 2015, 03:09:17 pm
Was thinking the same thing - about the NFL. Dude can keep a secret.

^^^Yep^^^

We better hope for the best AND plan for the worst.  If I were JL, I'd have a list of 10 of the hottest up and comers in my jacket pocket at all times.

Maybe our OC is a two-fer and we didn't know it.

rusvegashog

There all world beaters at that level. More than any other sport "luck" matters the most in the NFL. And Russell Wilson who I love was "luckier" than Ryan Tannehill because of the organization and situation and coach he inherited. Don't get it twisted RT can ball.

Kevin

the bottom line
wilson won at nc state
wilson won at wisconsin
wilson is winning is seattle
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

JaketheSnake

He was also wanting to get out of Wiscy... Maybe he was willin to listen to any option that came calling.  If we can keep him happy and he keeps us happy, we can probably find a way to keep him here.

PorcineSublime

Quote from: LZH on January 30, 2015, 03:33:27 pm
Tannehill is a better athlete, but Wilson is the real deal...he's a sharp cat.  I wouldn't throw a fit if Tannehill were my QB, but I think Wilson is several steps ahead of him at this point in their career.

As for BB, I've been in his corner all along.      :P
Yep. For all the talk about a lack of a strong arm, he seemed to have plenty of arm strength throwing that winning TD in the NFC championship. I am not sure why everyone thinks that if you cant hit a dime from 70 yds, you have no arm strength. RW has enough arm strength to keep the defense honest and allow Mr. "I'm just here so I wont get fined' to do his thing well. I used to thing RW was average until I saw him take an entire team on his back on the GB game and will them to win. I'd take him over Tannehill and, gasp, even the "walk on water gosh almighty" Andrew Luck right now. Maybe the six or seven games that I have seen Luck play were the only six or seven that he "had a bad day" in, but I just don't get the hype about him. And yes I realize that is heresy to speak.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

Doug

Quote from: PiggoBitttysMy take-away from this is Beliema does have interest in the NFL. With the trajectory the Hogs are going, I have only worried about Iowa being a potential school that could attract CBB away from Arkansas. But it could be the NFL too. Oh well, no reason to really worry. If CBB proves himself worthy, we're going to have some fun times in Fayetteville. :D
I want to address this specific point, since no one else has brought it up.

Almost every HC wants to end up at the big dance some day. Some guys can transition back and forth successfully (Pete Carroll), while others that are/were successful in CFB fizzled out in the NFL (at least initially, Petrino/Saban).

That being said, I believe Bielema's got his own personal goals to achieve before he looks at any move: Finish what he started and bring the Natty to Fayetteville. As has been noted a couple times in this thread and in several past threads: If he's happy and Jen's happy, they'll stay. When he reaches a plateau, he'll probably move on. He reached it at Wisconsin... he's still going up at Arkansas.

I think we've got him for a few more years yet. :)
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Doug on January 31, 2015, 07:38:38 am
I want to address this specific point, since no one else has brought it up.

Almost every HC wants to end up at the big dance some day. Some guys can transition back and forth successfully (Pete Carroll), while others that are/were successful in CFB fizzled out in the NFL (at least initially, Petrino/Saban).

That being said, I believe Bielema's got his own personal goals to achieve before he looks at any move: Finish what he started and bring the Natty to Fayetteville. As has been noted a couple times in this thread and in several past threads: If he's happy and Jen's happy, they'll stay. When he reaches a plateau, he'll probably move on. He reached it at Wisconsin... he's still going up at Arkansas.

I think we've got him for a few more years yet. :)

I wonder if Bielema feels that he would even be a good fit for the NFL? Think about his philosophy and way of doing things. Bielema likes being close to his players and developing responsible young men. He promotes personal accountability. If they don't tow the line, if they don't operate within the program guidelines and rules, they are gone. His philosophy and tendency to develop personal relationships with his players is a great fit for college football.

All of that goes out the window once you become an NFL HC. In the NFL you are dealing with a lot of prima donnas who may not care about relationships as much as they do about their paycheck and in the NFL, just because you feel that a guy should be gone, doesn't mean that he will be. I think there is less emphasis on personal accountability in the NFL as well. As long as you don't commit murder, or beat your wife or kids and allow it to go "public", everything else seems to be a "boys will be boys" thing.

No one can say that he will never go there (the NFL) if offered, but it just seems like a bad fit for him based on the personality and philosophy that he projects.
Go Hogs Go!

Smokehouse

Quote from: PorcineSublime on January 31, 2015, 06:06:24 am
Yep. For all the talk about a lack of a strong arm, he seemed to have plenty of arm strength throwing that winning TD in the NFC championship. I am not sure why everyone thinks that if you cant hit a dime from 70 yds, you have no arm strength. RW has enough arm strength to keep the defense honest and allow Mr. "I'm just here so I wont get fined' to do his thing well. I used to thing RW was average until I saw him take an entire team on his back on the GB game and will them to win. I'd take him over Tannehill and, gasp, even the "walk on water gosh almighty" Andrew Luck right now. Maybe the six or seven games that I have seen Luck play were the only six or seven that he "had a bad day" in, but I just don't get the hype about him. And yes I realize that is heresy to speak.

I'd still take Luck over Wilson. Luck has the stats and, if you're looking for some kind of intangibles, the large amount of comeback wins. He just has a terrible o-line and running game paired with a mediocre defense backing him up. There's a reason the Colts had the number one overall pick to grab Luck and he's covering a lot of that up now.

I would take Wilson over Tannehill. Even if you think they're equal in ability with different supporting casts, at nothing else you get Wilson for less of a cap hit than you get Tannehill.

I've never understood GMs grabbing a QB in the first round who couldn't dominate in college. Not even consistently, but at least over several games. You take Tannehill in the first round based on "potential" that wasn't really shown in college and expect him to develop it playing against better competition in the NFL, while passing on Wilson who did dominate some college competition just because he's too short.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

Rocky Mountain Living

Ryan Tannehill is 2-0 vs Wilson

hawgsalot

Wow let's not let the facts get in the way of a good argument.  Wilson is mucho better than RT and it's really not even close.  Go look at 4th qtr comebacks, wins, Super bowls on and on.  The point of the article though is simple.  The idiot dolphins drafted a WR/QB in the 1st round and could have gotten Wilson in the second.  CBB saw it the dolphins GM whiffed for what the 10th time now and he should be fired because his draft record alone is atrocious.

MuskogeeHogFan

Speaking of not allowing facts to get in the way, the fact is that this thread isn't about NFL QB's and who is better, it is about Bielema thinking about the possibility of going to the NFL.
Go Hogs Go!

SwineGrind

Knowing of Coach B what I do now and being a Dolphins fan I wish he would have gotten the gig. However I would much rather have him here. Until we stop drafting WR to be QB we don't deserve a sharp coach like CBB.

Rocky Mountain Living

The fact that CBB went to Miami with a plan in 2012 to get the HC job should be a wake up call to enjoy these times while they last ....fwiw

Hopefully CBB doesn't back down from his asking price....ie. final decisions on the roster.

Truth is, I doubt any of us would choose either of these QBs as our starter in the NFL if we had the same draft to choose from these Guys came from.  Wilson plays on a team with a great running game and even better a super great defense and that allows him to do what he does best.  Tannehill surprises me more that Wilson, I don't see how he ever looks good on that team but he in fact does.  Just the opposite on the Seattle team.  I am surprised when Wilson doesn't look good.  I would add that if BB were the Dolphin coach and he took Wilson, Wilson would look much like he does today for Seattle because BB would run an offense that favors Wilson's talent.

If the Seattle D comes out smoking like they did against Denver last year, and the Seattle O-line plays decent, that seattle running game will get started and they could very well go back to back Super Bowl winners.

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

Comical. Wilson stepped into a loaded team in Seattle. Had the phins drafted him we might not even know who he is at this point. He wasn't even drafted second round by the Seachunks. Was I believe a mid third round pick.
Let's make some waves.

hogpc

Quote from: Smokehouse on January 30, 2015, 11:44:27 am
As a Dolphins fan, this is really inflating Tannehill's game. His best stats have always come when the defense is playing well and Lamar Miller is fully healthy. There's been maybe one or two games in his NFL career where he's actually carried the majority of the load on offense.

I'd put Tannehill and Wilson on about an even level. Dolphins can win with Tannehill but they'll need a coach a heck of a lot better than Philbin to do it and a defense that doesn't collapse in the second half of the season.
As a long time Phish fan myself I agree with you 100% - I also feel sorry for you, the Phish have been putrid for over a decade...:=(

HiggiePiggy

It's always nice when you have the top running back and the top defense on your team.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Dr. Starcs

^^^
Demarco Murray plays for Seattle?

(Sorry. I had to)

onebadrubi

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on February 01, 2015, 10:23:46 am
It's always nice when you have the top running back and the top defense on your team.

That's weird, you seem to mention the things Bielema wants to build a team around.  Bielema's desire is to build a strong D, a great stable of running backs, and then have a QB that can keep the chains moving, ala Russel Wilson! 

popcornhog

Quote from: sooeey pig pig pig on January 30, 2015, 11:36:30 am

You're iverstating it, but I get your point.
WPS

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 01, 2015, 10:51:58 am
That's weird, you seem to mention the things Bielema wants to build a team around.  Bielema's desire is to build a strong D, a great stable of running backs, and then have a QB that can keep the chains moving, ala Russel Wilson! 

No I am saying put any QB on the Seahawks the last 2 years and they would still be in the Super Bowl. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?