Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If you could instill the heart of any former Razorback to this b-ball team,

Started by chillinhoggie, February 10, 2006, 08:46:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HolcombeHog

Quote from: chillinhoggie on February 10, 2006, 08:46:50 am
Who would it be?

I thought of several, and with careful consideration, and a nod to Derek Hood, I'd have to go with Corey Beck. THAT guy was straight up HUSTLE.

Who ya got next?

Charles Tatum!!

silvertip

Quote from: shoatleg 51 on February 10, 2006, 01:52:45 pm
Anybody remember Leroy Sutton, one of the best defensive players I've seen.

:razorback:

Yeah, I was about to throw Sutton in there. One tough & smart player.

Overall, I'd take Alvin Robertson. He would dunk on anybody. Michael Jordan once said that Alvin was the only defender who ever shut him down. Might have been in that Pine Bluff upset, or in the Olympic trials. Beck had nothing on Alvin.

dbseattle

This post approved by Mike Markuson.

dbseattle

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 10, 2006, 05:35:36 pm
Quote from: Deep Shoat on February 10, 2006, 09:16:19 am
Geez, don't any of you remember seeing Sidney play?

No, they don't...obviously.

That man carried the '79 team on his back and would have gotten the Hogs back to the final four if not for a buzzer shot by Bob Heaton and Larry Bird-led Indiana St. in the Elite Eight round. Moncrief was the whole team that year and NEVER ONCE disappointed in any game the entire year, tendinitis and all. You could add up the heart of every player who has ever played bball at U of A and it would not equal the heart of Sidney Moncrief.

From nba.com about Sir Sid.

"If any player could do it all, it was Moncrief. He could shoot from the outside, post up, dunk over 7-foot centers, make the key pass, crash the boards, and slash through the paint for a layup. Michael Jordan once told the Los Angeles Times, "When you play against Moncrief, you're in for a night of all-around basketball. He'll hound you everywhere you go, both ends of the court. You just expect it." Not a bad assessment, considering Moncrief played with a degenerative knee problem that one doctor said would limit him to no more than two years of pro basketball."

Do not think one player on this years hogs would/could play with as much as a hang nail. Remember Dick Vitale once said Moncrief cost him his job w/Detroit Pistons. Vitale passed on Moncrief and picked Greg Kelser.

This post approved by Mike Markuson.

Call Mr. Sow

When I think hustle and heart, Lenzie is the first name I think of.  The Hawk also. 

Too young to comment on Sid.

One name I'd like to throw up because I haven't seen it on here yet was Ernie Murry.  That dude was all about hustle. 

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Call Mr. Sow on February 10, 2006, 09:50:44 pm
When I think hustle and heart, Lenzie is the first name I think of.  The Hawk also. 

Too young to comment on Sid.

One name I'd like to throw up because I haven't seen it on here yet was Ernie Murry.  That dude was all about hustle. 

If you are too young to comment about Moncrief, then you are too young to comment about Murray too...he played only two years after Moncrief...I was at U of A when Murray was there.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

rlamb

The toughest, meanest , nastiest, roughest former Porker BB player (and I don't even like BB that much) was one Alvin Robertson. I read where Michael Jordan once said he'd rather be guarded by any 2 other players in the NBA than 1 Alvin Robertson!

pignuts

No doubt, to me the obvious answer is Corliss Williamson, there was no better competitor especially on the low blocks.  My favorite Hog of all time.

Richard_white

secthumper

....Super Sid....all the way!!

....Cory Beck would be a close second....
"It is only through adversity that we can test the strength of our soul."<br /><br />"What we've got here is failure to communicate." Strother Martin  Cool Hand Luke<br /><br />Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic of men.  General George S. Patton, Jr.<br /><br />'When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."  Tuco  The Good the Bad and the Ugly<br /><br />"There ain't much of a future in dyin' boy!!"  Outlaw Josey Wales  3rd Place 2005-2006  Hogville Basketball Pickem Champion

Call Mr. Sow

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 10, 2006, 11:08:26 pm
If you are too young to comment about Moncrief, then you are too young to comment about Murray too...he played only two years after Moncrief...I was at U of A when Murray was there.

Ernie Murry played in 1989 with Todd Day.  Sidney Moncrief played in 1978.  I do not believe they played two years apart. 

pigfeet

I was really surprised that no even mention Tony Bua. He had great toughness. I would love to see his intensity in Townes. Sorry, you didn't clarify BB heart or FB heart transplant.

hogfancb

ballhog™

Ernie Murry made some big 3 pointers against UNLV in Barnhill.  He is now officiating basketball in the area.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

Thunderhog Jr

Quote from: Call Mr. Sow on February 11, 2006, 08:04:30 am

Ernie Murry played in 1989 with Todd Day.  Sidney Moncrief played in 1978.  I do not believe they played two years apart. 

Caught him, I knew HIM was an imposter!!!!!!

WPS  <br />Remember the days when we were a national power??  What the Hell happened?

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Call Mr. Sow on February 11, 2006, 08:04:30 am

You may be right there... there was a player like Murry who played while I was at U of A ('80 to '84) and I cannot recall who he was. But he was a bench warmer like Murry who the fans loved to see get playing time.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

secthumper

....Billy Ray Smith Sr. or Billy Ray Smith Jr....

....Lloyd Phillips...

....Cliff Powell....

....Bruce James....

....Dick Bumpas....

....Fred Talley....

....Danny Rhodes....

....Dennis "Dirt" Winston....

....Dan Hampton....

....Barry Foster....

....Steve Korte....
"It is only through adversity that we can test the strength of our soul."<br /><br />"What we've got here is failure to communicate." Strother Martin  Cool Hand Luke<br /><br />Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic of men.  General George S. Patton, Jr.<br /><br />'When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."  Tuco  The Good the Bad and the Ugly<br /><br />"There ain't much of a future in dyin' boy!!"  Outlaw Josey Wales  3rd Place 2005-2006  Hogville Basketball Pickem Champion

hogtheball

Quote from: secthumper on February 11, 2006, 10:48:24 am

....Lloyd Phillips...

....Cliff Powell....

....Bruce James....

....Dick Bumpas....

....Fred Talley....

....Danny Rhodes....

....Dan Hampton....

....Barry Foster....

....Steve Korte....

Barry Foster?  Didn't he lead the NFL in rushing one year, then fizzle out after a holdout on contract negotiations.  He was talented, but don't put his heart up there with guys like Sidney.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

ridgeback

BIIIIIIIGGGGGGGG NAAAAASSSSSTTTTTTTYYYY!!!!!! The man would pump  massive amounts of iron 5  minutes before each game, then go out and get his points against taller guys game after game. I remember the Ole Piss coach talking about taking his players to the court a seeing Corliss having a pregame snack of free weights , seconds before tip off. We haven't been the same since he left. I hope Mr. Weems has some of that heart in him.

secthumper

Quote from: hogtheball on February 11, 2006, 01:20:53 pm
Quote from: secthumper on February 11, 2006, 10:48:24 am

....Lloyd Phillips...

....Cliff Powell....

....Bruce James....

....Dick Bumpas....

....Fred Talley....

....Danny Rhodes....

....Dan Hampton....

....Barry Foster....

....Steve Korte....

Barry Foster?  Didn't he lead the NFL in rushing one year, then fizzle out after a holdout on contract negotiations.  He was talented, but don't put his heart up there with guys like Sidney.

....I just did....!!

SiriusHog™

I can not BELIEVE you guys have left out the MAIN guy!

GUY WHITNEY!!! err.. n/m  ;D