Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC Athletics Facilities Race

Started by jbcarol, June 14, 2012, 12:01:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Eric Monday, the university's new executive vice president for finance and administration, told the board that the renovated facilities will cost $110 million, which will be paid off by UK athletics in 30 years at $6.6 million a year.

Officials said "programming and internal planning" is underway and that pending legislative approval, the athletics department plans to seek final approval for the renovations in March.

...16-20 private suites, new home team facilities, 2,000 club seats, concession, restroom and security upgrades, a new team store, press facilities and a full-service kitchen.

"This project is focused on two ideals: to increase our competitiveness as well as fan satisfaction," Monday said.

The project will get underway this calendar year and is to be completed in the fall of 2015 or early spring of 2016...

http://ukfootball.bloginky.com/2013/01/29/stadium-renovations-timeline-given-at-uk-board-meeting/
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

"He's 17-2. Would you please build the guy a new building? That locker room we're in, I'm like looking for squirrels." – Kentucky coach John Calipari [on replacing the Tad Pad in Oxford].

http://djournal.com/view/full_story/21562129/article-Three-notes-and-a-quote--Ole-Miss-vs--Kentucky?instance=home_news_1st_left
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Stark reminder when you go overboard:

KFC Yum! Center (UofL downtown basketball arena) is over $800 million in debt, and costs $92,000 per day to operate.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=126624

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jbcarol on January 31, 2013, 05:20:01 pm
Stark reminder when you go overboard:

KFC Yum! Center (UofL downtown basketball arena) is over $800 million in debt, and costs $92,000 per day to operate.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=126624

Wasn't it built for more than just UL basketball? It is a multipurpose arena but they are the primary tenants with a sweetheart lease deal apparently. Does the UL lease cause it to not be used for other events and is it just managed badly and cost too much to build?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jbcarol

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 31, 2013, 07:28:54 pm
Wasn't it built for more than just UL basketball? It is a multipurpose arena but they are the primary tenants with a sweetheart lease deal apparently. Does the UL lease cause it to not be used for other events and is it just managed badly and cost too much to build?

I know a West Memphis Hog Fan who was there for a convention last year.  I think the article has some detail on cost to operate and how much they lose each day it's idle. It's important that it is one consultant's estimate.

Dr Swineglove

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 31, 2013, 07:28:54 pm

All the above.  Freedom Hall is still in operation and it paid off years ago, so they can undercut Yum for business, such as scheduling a UK game, which proper pisses off the UofL.  This is the reason a lot of new arenas get built concurrent with the old facility getting bulldozed.  The city of Louisville aspires to great things, but beyond the Cardinals, there's not much need for an arena bigger than any current NBA facility aside from The Palace, not when there's a cheaper alternative down the street.
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Dr Swineglove on February 01, 2013, 09:39:15 am
All the above.  Freedom Hall is still in operation and it paid off years ago, so they can undercut Yum for business, such as scheduling a UK game, which proper pisses off the UofL.  This is the reason a lot of new arenas get built concurrent with the old facility getting bulldozed.  The city of Louisville aspires to great things, but beyond the Cardinals, there's not much need for an arena bigger than any current NBA facility aside from The Palace, not when there's a cheaper alternative down the street.

Wow. Sounds like they should not have built it without agreement to bulldoze Freedom Hall. In Memphis the FedEx Forum has a "noncompete" clause for other arena's and venues in town. The Grizzlies said they had to have it that way in order to be the management company for the FedEx Forum. At the time they were afraid the Pyramid might try to get big events. As it turned out they signed a deal to turn it into a huge Bass Pro that is under construction now.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jbcarol

A Bama linebacker posted a photo of the Crimson Tides new $9 million dollar weight room (available at link):

http://bamahammer.com/2013/02/04/alabama-football-recruiting-new-weight-room-makes-impression-on-recruits/

jbcarol

Razorback Athletics are responsible for about $153.6 million in statewide annual economic activity, according to a study released Friday by the University of Arkansas Center for Business and Economic Research. That's not counting another $239.7 million that could be generated if the department moves forward with a host of planned on-campus construction projects.

Three broad categories of athletics-related activities that produce economic impact were analyzed in the study including department operations, visitor spending at home football, baseball and basketball games, and construction expenditures. Operations and visitor spending provide an annual economic impact while construction expenditures results in one-time economic impact.

http://www.fayettevilleflyer.com/2013/02/08/ua-athletic-program-generates-over-150-million-annually-for-arkansas-economy-study-says/

mizzouman

Honestly, this whole thread makes me a little sick.  All this cash going towards sports???  I guess, if you have it, spend it on whatever you want.

Murr

Quote from: mizzouman on February 09, 2013, 09:24:32 pm
Honestly, this whole thread makes me a little sick.  All this cash going towards sports???  I guess, if you have it, spend it on whatever you want.

I don't mind the spending on sports as long as the state, the feds and the student fees aren't paying for it.  Gifts from donors and boosters is fine and probably tax deductible.  Plus with the TV contracts about to be handed out soon, this facility arms race will get interesting.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: mizzouman on February 09, 2013, 09:24:32 pm

Welcome to the SEC. That's what we've been trying to tell you guys all along. In SEC country it is a religion and football is God. If a school and it's fans can't accept that fact they shouldn't be in the SEC. It is discretionary spending by fans and SEC fans are fanatical!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jbcarol on February 09, 2013, 07:06:37 pm
Razorback Athletics are responsible for about $153.6 million in statewide annual economic activity, according to a study released Friday by the University of Arkansas Center for Business and Economic Research. That's not counting another $239.7 million that could be generated if the department moves forward with a host of planned on-campus construction projects.

Three broad categories of athletics-related activities that produce economic impact were analyzed in the study including department operations, visitor spending at home football, baseball and basketball games, and construction expenditures. Operations and visitor spending provide an annual economic impact while construction expenditures results in one-time economic impact.

http://www.fayettevilleflyer.com/2013/02/08/ua-athletic-program-generates-over-150-million-annually-for-arkansas-economy-study-says/

I bet it's more than that. A couple of burger places in Russellville, hotels along I40 and gas stations are busier I know for a fact. What about side trips by fans also to other places while here.

mizzouman

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 10, 2013, 07:08:46 am
Welcome to the SEC. That's what we've been trying to tell you guys all along. In SEC country it is a religion and football is God. If a school and it's fans can't accept that fact they shouldn't be in the SEC. It is discretionary spending by fans and SEC fans are fanatical!
If people think football is God, then their priorities are screwed up. Now, you can be fanatical, that's fine. But to think that football is above all others is way over the top.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: mizzouman on February 10, 2013, 01:10:48 pm
If people think football is God, then their priorities are screwed up. Now, you can be fanatical, that's fine. But to think that football is above all others is way over the top.

Welcome to the SEC....I'm glad your finally waking up.
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

99toLife

Quote from: tusksincolorado on February 10, 2013, 02:33:04 pm
Welcome to the SEC....I'm glad your finally waking up.

True, but that doesn't make it right, at least a few schools know how to use money in the SEC to succeed and make their fans happy.

Murr

We've replaced out steeples with field goal posts.  You guys will be fine once your upgrades are done.

Inhogswetrust

Look it is a figure of speech. But if you don't think that college football means more and is taken more seriously by the general population in the SEC states then you would be mistaken. It may not really be God but it IS the King in sportsdom. That was the one concern I had about Mizzou coming into the SEC. Would they take it as serious and be as fanatical. Too soon to tell so far but it's still early. Once Mizzou, if it ever does, becomes more popular than the Cards, Chiefs, Rams or Royals in general then you will be accepted by all SEC fans but not until then.

mizzouman

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 10, 2013, 06:35:03 pm
Look it is a figure of speech. But if you don't think that college football means more and is taken more seriously by the general population in the SEC states then you would be mistaken. It may not really be God but it IS the King in sportsdom. That was the one concern I had about Mizzou coming into the SEC. Would they take it as serious and be as fanatical. Too soon to tell so far but it's still early. Once Mizzou, if it ever does, becomes more popular than the Cards, Chiefs, Rams or Royals in general then you will be accepted by all SEC fans but not until then.
I've been in this state since 1988 with the exception of about 5 years so I know how football is down here.  Still, I have my opinions on how much money is being spent on college athletics.  Again, if you got it, you are free to spend it anyway you want. 

Also, Mizzou will NEVER be bigger than the Cards or even the Chiefs.  There's really no competition in the South other than college athletics with the exception of a few states.  I understand that. 

Inhogswetrust

February 11, 2013, 06:25:04 am #170 Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 10:42:26 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: mizzouman on February 10, 2013, 07:31:02 pm
I've been in this state since 1988 with the exception of about 5 years so I know how football is down here.  Still, I have my opinions on how much money is being spent on college athletics.  Again, if you got it, you are free to spend it anyway you want. 

Also, Mizzou will NEVER be bigger than the Cards or even the Chiefs.  There's really no competition in the South other than college athletics with the exception of a few states.  I understand that. 

More than just a few states. There is professional sports of the major variety in TN, FL, GA, TX, LA. I understand about the Chiefs and the Cards. Heck I was named after two Cardinal ball players. My dad liked the Cards but loved the Hogs. Unfortunately at the time the Hogs weren't doing well and the Cards were and he liked the names (first and middle) he gave me because they were a little different than the norm. The spending on facilities in the SEC is mindboggling. There are historical reasons why college sports is more popular as a whole in the south. Mizzou doesn't have to be bigger than the Chiefs or Cards but they do need to be in the same breath when people talk about sports or hear about sports. Here's an example. In Memphis if both the Grizzlies and Memphis Tigers are playing the same night then the Tigers will lead off the sports broadcast on TV as much as and usually more often than the Grizzlies. That's how important college sports is in the south and the tigers aren't even in the SEC! If Mizzou can't be at least somewhat close to the Chiefs and Cards in following by people then there will always be some fans of SEC schools that will say they didn't belong in the SEC.

mizzouman

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 11, 2013, 06:25:04 am
More than just a few states. There is professional sports of the major variety in TN, FL, GA, TX, LA. I understand about the Chiefs and the Cards. Heck I was named after two Cardinal ball players. My dad liked the Cards but loved the Hogs. Unfortunately at the time the Hogs weren't doing well and the Cards were and he liked the names (first and middle) he gave me because they were a little different than the norm. The spending on facilities in the SEC is mindboggling. There are historical reasons why college sports is more popular as a whole in the south. Mizzou doesn't have to be bigger than the Chiefs or Cards but they do need to be in the same breath when people talk about sports or hear about sports. Here's an example. In Memphis if both the Grizzlies and Memphis Tigers are playing the same night then the Tigers will lead off the sports broadcast on TV as much as and usually more often than the Grizzlies. That's how important college sports is in the south and the tigers aren't even in the SEC! If Mizzou can't be at least somewhat close to the Chiefs and Cards in following by people then there will always be some fans of SEC schools that will say they didn't belong in the SEC.
Not sure Memphis is a good example. There really has never been pro sports in Memphis. I remember when the Houston Oilers were going to permanently move there and the entire city didn't want it because they were afraid the it would hurt the University.  They stayed one and left.

Georgia has never been much of a pro sports state despite the pro teams. All three pro sports teams are relatively young compared to the Bulldogs. You can say the same about Tennessee and Florida. Pro teams really haven't been there very long. 

In Missouri, the Cards have been there forever. Every baseball fan west of the Mississippi including a lot in the Midwest was/is a Cardinal fan.

Anyway, I understand the importance college sports in the south because the fact that pro sports is really relatively young in the south.

go hogues

Quote from: mizzouman on February 11, 2013, 09:10:13 pm
Georgia has never been much of a pro sports state despite the pro teams.
But like the Cards being the fan favorite west of the MS river, the same thing can be said for the Braves east of it. The Braves are a big deal in MOST of the Southeast.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: mizzouman on February 11, 2013, 09:10:13 pm
Not sure Memphis is a good example. There really has never been pro sports in Memphis. I remember when the Houston Oilers were going to permanently move there and the entire city didn't want it because they were afraid the it would hurt the University.  They stayed one and left.

Georgia has never been much of a pro sports state despite the pro teams. All three pro sports teams are relatively young compared to the Bulldogs. You can say the same about Tennessee and Florida. Pro teams really haven't been there very long. 

In Missouri, the Cards have been there forever. Every baseball fan west of the Mississippi including a lot in the Midwest was/is a Cardinal fan.

Anyway, I understand the importance college sports in the south because the fact that pro sports is really relatively young in the south.

Wrong about the Memphis deal. The Oilers/Titans were never planned to move permanently to Memphis. The agreement to play in Memphis was two fold. First they needed a place to play. Secondly they thought that by playing in Memphis a couple of years which was the plan, that it would help generate a more regional or statewide appeal. The UM admins for the most part had no problem with it since it was intended to only be a couple of years. They moved after only one year caused by low attendance. There is a hatred, jealousness or whatever you want to call it between Memphis and Nashville. Therefore people in Memphis actually said "Why should I go to games if they are only going to be here temporarily. It isn't our team, it's Nashville's.". There is NO regional symbiotic relationship in TN. Secondly basketball is the dominant sport in Memphis. Yes pro sports is a relative newcomer to the south. Yes the Cards have been there forever but that is the only one in MO that has been. The Chiefs, Royals and Rams are also relative newcomers there. Yes I am aware that the Kings, A's and football Cardinals used to be there as well but they all left. I'm aware of the Blues also.

There is a really good article on the problems pro sports has experienced in the south on Swampland.com titled "The Challenge of Pro sports in The Southeastern United States". I think it is spot on.

jbcarol

Vanderbilt looks for ways to improve stadium

Athletics director David Williams said all options are on the table as the university eyes improvements and possible expansion to the 32-year-old facility.

"I wouldn't want to say we'll build a new stadium, and quite honestly I doubt that," Williams said. "But I think that in the next two or three years our fans and everybody else will be looking at a vastly changed and improved stadium.

"My hope is that by this summer, we have a plan as to what we want to do. We realize that for an SEC school, our stadium really does need a lot of work."

Vanderbilt is building a $31 million indoor practice field and multi-purpose facility that is due to be completed about Oct. 31. There also are more planned phases for renovations to McGugin Center.

Vanderbilt Stadium underwent several changes prior to last season that included artificial turf, a new video board and a berm in the open end zone that offered hillside seating. The berm expanded the stadium capacity to 40,550.

Williams said he thinks the ideal stadium capacity at this point would be 45,000, with the likely area for additional seating being in the corners or back of the open end zone.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20130212/SPORTS0602/302120045/Vanderbilt-looks-ways-improve-stadium

jbcarol

jbcarol

Five months after replacing the grass and most of the dirt on Hawkins Field with artificial turf, the Vanderbilt baseball team believes it has a good feel for how the new surface will play.

The No. 3 Commodores will play their first official game on the turf today as they open their season against Long Beach State at 4 p.m.

The base of the turf is a mixture of sand and rubber pellets. The mixture is different in the grass and dirt areas.

"We love it," outfielder Mike Yastrzemski said.

a few base-running adjustments and a $1 million price tag are worth being able to play and practice through weather that would have otherwise caused delays or postponements, Vanderbilt coach Tim Corbin said.

"I don't look at weather reports anymore," Corbin said. "We are out there every day. With rain, sun or snow, we have been able to do our normal activity.

"In some ways I'm starting to feel like a basketball coach where the conditions don't matter, and that's a welcomed relief."

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20130215/SPORTS0602/302150058/Vanderbilt-baseball-ready-turf-tip-off

mizzouman

Quote from: go hogues on February 11, 2013, 10:04:27 pm
But like the Cards being the fan favorite west of the MS river, the same thing can be said for the Braves east of it. The Braves are a big deal in MOST of the Southeast.
Not as much as the Bulldogs.  The Braves have not been around as long as the Bulldogs have.  The Braves have only been in Atlanta since around the mid 60's.  Can't compare.  The Braves will never be bigger than the Bulldogs in Georgia.  What did make the Braves a national type team was Turner and TNT.  Other than that, most are Bulldogs fans.

mizzouman

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 12, 2013, 04:32:24 pm
Wrong about the Memphis deal. The Oilers/Titans were never planned to move permanently to Memphis. The agreement to play in Memphis was two fold. First they needed a place to play. Secondly they thought that by playing in Memphis a couple of years which was the plan, that it would help generate a more regional or statewide appeal. The UM admins for the most part had no problem with it since it was intended to only be a couple of years. They moved after only one year caused by low attendance. There is a hatred, jealousness or whatever you want to call it between Memphis and Nashville. Therefore people in Memphis actually said "Why should I go to games if they are only going to be here temporarily. It isn't our team, it's Nashville's.". There is NO regional symbiotic relationship in TN. Secondly basketball is the dominant sport in Memphis. Yes pro sports is a relative newcomer to the south. Yes the Cards have been there forever but that is the only one in MO that has been. The Chiefs, Royals and Rams are also relative newcomers there. Yes I am aware that the Kings, A's and football Cardinals used to be there as well but they all left. I'm aware of the Blues also.

There is a really good article on the problems pro sports has experienced in the south on Swampland.com titled "The Challenge of Pro sports in The Southeastern United States". I think it is spot on.
I guess we can disagree about the Memphis thing.  I live there during that year.  I read the papers and watch the news and drove down streets that had signs saying no to the Oilers.  I know the plans for the Oilers was to permanently move to Memphis.  But, the big dollar donors to the University started a grass root move to stop it and stop it they did.

jbcarol

General Assembly approves UK projects including Commonwealth Stadium upgrades

Gov. Steve Beshear said he will sign into law Thursday a bill approving several new building projects at state universities, including a $110 million renovation of Commonwealth Stadium and other football facilities at the University of Kentucky.

The Kentucky General Assembly gave its approval Wednesday to House Bill 7, making it the first bill to clear the legislature in 2013. The measure allows several state universities to bond $363 million for 11 projects, including a $65 million renovation of the Gatton Business School and a new $100 million science building at UK. Those bonds will be repaid with university revenue rather than state General Fund money. The Senate changed the language of the bill slightly after it approved a committee substitute Wednesday from Sen. Bob Leeper, I-Paducah, which forbids the universities from raising tuition to pay for the projects.

http://www.kentucky.com/2013/02/20/2524214/senate-gives-approval-for-commonwealth.html

jbcarol

Hairopoulos: A&M is surveying its students this week about the funding of the soon-to-be rebuilt Kyle Field, and it's offering at least a conceptual rendering of what the east side of the new shrine could look like. [A] photo ran today in the school paper (available at link):

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2013/02/texas-am-reveals-conceptual-rendering-of-new-look-kyle-fields-east-side.html/

jbcarol

The House that Johnny Built: A&M's tackle box renovations renderings are impressive

The Aggies' $420 million renovation and expansion of the stadium has been in the works for a while, and it appears the school is planning to get its moneys worth.

(renderings available at the link)

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/house-johnny-built-texas-m-stadium-renovations-renderings-225044586--ncaaf.html

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: mizzouman on February 15, 2013, 04:09:29 pm
I guess we can disagree about the Memphis thing.  I live there during that year.  I read the papers and watch the news and drove down streets that had signs saying no to the Oilers.  I know the plans for the Oilers was to permanently move to Memphis.  But, the big dollar donors to the University started a grass root move to stop it and stop it they did.

Sure some big donors were concerned. There never was a serious effort by Bud Adams the Titans owner to move to Memphis permanently. I worked for probably the second wealthiest person and a big time community supporter back then and he had no information about them wanting to be here permanently and trust me he would have known. All there was was rumors. He was fine with the temporary deal since anything brought to town helps the local ecomomy even if for a short time.   

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jbcarol on February 22, 2013, 08:36:49 am
The House that Johnny Built: A&M's tackle box renovations renderings are impressive

The Aggies' $420 million renovation and expansion of the stadium has been in the works for a while, and it appears the school is planning to get its moneys worth.

(renderings available at the link)

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/house-johnny-built-texas-m-stadium-renovations-renderings-225044586--ncaaf.html

Gotta admit. That is impressive.

RazorReddie

"Life's tough, even tougher if you're stupid"

ADavisTheGOAT

Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

Piggfoot

Quote from: Hogfan991 on February 22, 2013, 01:05:33 pm
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/21743255/

Wish we could close out our endzone like that.

We could have but the priority was being able to see the field from the comfort of the BAC.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

reddogjcss

Good for them! Ours will be even better with future expansions! Jerome Arkansas wasn't built in a day!

go hogues

Give aTm five more years and they will own this conference.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Hawgzinbowlz

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: go hogues on February 22, 2013, 01:24:10 pm
Probably not but they may well permanently own the University of Texas!

Hog10S

They didn't ever own the SWC and they didn't come close to owning the Big 12 conference.  They will not own the SEC, ever.

Jimmy "theused4wheelerdealer" Watkins from Conway

Slow down there.  I don't know about that.  They didn't exactly own the SWC or Big 12.  Hats to their success in their 1st year in the SEC though.

Hawg Balling

Not until Texas high school football gets on par with the football in states like Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida. 

There are a few reasons why Texas hasn't been winning National Championships by the dozens, and Mack Brown is just one of them. 

GoHogzzGo

Toughest division in football continues, and their program isn't even in the top two. Sheesh. Can't wait to see our end zone closed off as well.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

Hawgzinbowlz

You're dreaming.
Quote from: CallMeHog on February 22, 2013, 01:38:03 pm
Probably not but they may well permanently own the University of Texas!
This is more realistic than the top post. And if Texas hires a new coach, history indicates Texas has the largest footprint in the state. Let's beat the Hawg out of both.

" GO HOGS "

rlreev01

You can put a dress on a goat and it's still a goat.  Unless TAMU opens up their walkways and creates a mezzanine where you can walk around without someone breaking wind and it will knock you off the sidewalk because there is no room and create more spaces in the facilities, this stadium is still a goat.  They can go overboard on their stadium but a brand new basketball arena only holds 9,000 people?

la20688

Talk about "Prisoner of the moment". They had a lot of things fall just right for them, and had one good year. They caught us right in the middle of all of our problems, and took advantage of it, which is something I hope all of our players remember this off season.

Cure

Quote from: Hog10S on February 22, 2013, 01:38:11 pm
They didn't ever own the SWC and they didn't come close to owning the Big 12 conference.  They will not own the SEC, ever.
This isn't yesteryear.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.