Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hypothetical...assume Anderson is here another 7 seasons

Started by HognotinMemphis, March 19, 2018, 11:04:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GlassofSwine

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 19, 2018, 12:21:42 pm
Settling for mediocrity because a change MIGHT make things worse is something.

Yes it is, my only question was to name coaches who you could guarantee you could hire that would do better. Everyone wants to get rid of MA but no one wants to confront the reality of what are coaching hire pool will look like. No one will throw out even one name and then they feign outrage at the thought. There are plenty of coaches I would rather have but I don't think any of them will be in our coaching candidate pool.

HF#1

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 19, 2018, 12:31:42 pm
Yes it is, my only question was to name coaches who you could guarantee you could hire that would do better. Everyone wants to get rid of MA but no one wants to confront the reality of what are coaching hire pool will look like. No one will throw out even one name and then they feign outrage at the thought. There are plenty of coaches I would rather have but I don't think any of them will be in our coaching candidate pool.

This year, not many out there. Not a good year for hiring coaches. Ole Miss made a good hire and I'm sure we could get someone of similar caliber.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 19, 2018, 12:28:20 pm
Kept?  We tied for 4th and ended up as the 6th seed in the SECT.  Wasn't a contender to win the conference after just a few weeks.

Yeah because 4th in a loaded SEC this year was bad. What did we finish last year? 3rd and runner up in the SEC tourney. Yeah, Arkansas really bottomed out in the SEC the last 2 years.

steveaustin69

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 19, 2018, 12:31:42 pm

You can't guarantee anything. Remember Altman? Nothing is ever a guarantee.

I'd take Eric Musselman, and I would have taken him a month ago. You can look in my post history if you think I am blowing smoke.

steveaustin69

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 19, 2018, 12:34:03 pm
Yeah because 4th in a loaded SEC this year was bad. What did we finish last year? 3rd and runner up in the SEC tourney. Yeah, Arkansas really bottomed out in the SEC the last 2 years.

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 19, 2018, 12:24:54 pm
Mike's Conference Finishes: 8, 7, 5, 2, T8, 3, T4

Zero Tourney Championships

In what many would argue was a pretty poor SEC aside from this year.

What an astounding track record of monumental success

Smalltownhog95

Quote from: root_hawg on March 19, 2018, 11:56:47 am
He is here until he retires.
If this is truly the case im done with the bball team. You can call me fairweather but if we dont commit to trying to find a coach who can win then I wont commit my time or money.
Wait a minute this isn't chinese checkers.. This isn't even regular checkers!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Smalltownhog95 on March 19, 2018, 12:40:24 pm
If this is truly the case im done with the bball team. You can call me fairweather but if we dont commit to trying to find a coach who can win then I wont commit my time or money.

Understandable position.  It's hard to force yourself to invest time and money into something which is supposed to be entertaining when you don't find it is nor relevant.  Not everyone cares to keep watching and waiting. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

bkjbearcat

Quote from: GuvHog on March 19, 2018, 11:35:32 am
The ONLY reason Mike Anderson kept his job after the 15-15 debacle is because he and Jeff Long were big buddies. Thankfully Jeff Long isn't at the U of A any more.

If Mr. Integrity were still the AD Mike would have his job for life. Hell Burt might of had a job for life too. This new guy however I think this time next season MA is gone and we're talking about who is going to replace him.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

GlassofSwine

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 19, 2018, 12:34:55 pm
Mike's Conference Finishes: 8, 7, 5, 2, T8, 3, T4

Zero Tourney Championships

In what many would argue was a pretty poor SEC aside from this year.

What an astounding track record of monumental success

No one has claimed that he has had monumental success. But he has taken a program that was a joke, stabilized it and got it towards the Top of the SEC even as the SEC has been improving. Pelphrey couldn't field a decent team even with the SEC as a bottom feeder conference.

steveaustin69

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 19, 2018, 12:48:55 pm
No one has claimed that he has had monumental success. But he has taken a program that was a joke, stabilized it and got it towards the Top of the SEC even as the SEC has been improving. Pelphrey couldn't field a decent team even with the SEC as a bottom feeder conference.

Ok. For all intents and purposes we were 6th in the SEC. I don't care about ties when we lost to those teams. So the last four years you love to hang your hat on: 2, 8, 3, 6. Is it realistic to expect we're in the top 4 next year? I'd say no.

So he's better than awful. That's the argument?

OkieBack

Quote from: bkjbearcat on March 19, 2018, 12:46:04 pm
If Mr. Integrity were still the AD Mike would have his job for life. Hell Burt might of had a job for life too. This new guy however I think this time next season MA is gone and we're talking about who is going to replace him.

I agree.  That is UNLESS CMA puts it together and brings in an assistant/players that can eliminate the weaknesses of our game.  Looking at the past 7 years I'd say the naysayers may win out next year.  However, there are plenty of games even this last year that Mike surprised me in a good way.  If CMA has it in him then I'd say he better put the pedal to the metal and straighten it out with all the help he can get.  Otherwise his retirement party may be in exactly 12 months. 

hawgball40

Quote from: cardsNhogs on March 19, 2018, 12:23:24 pm
Henderson will not be close to what Gafford was this year!
Ya'll said the same thing about Gafford all year long haha. Henderson is flying right under the radar but will have a good impact as a freshman.

hogsanity

Quote from: OkieBack on March 19, 2018, 12:57:11 pm
I agree.  That is UNLESS CMA puts it together and brings in an assistant/players that can eliminate the weaknesses of our game.  Looking at the past 7 years I'd say the naysayers may win out next year.  However, there are plenty of games even this last year that Mike surprised me in a good way.  If CMA has it in him then I'd say he better put the pedal to the metal and straighten it out with all the help he can get.  Otherwise his retirement party may be in exactly 12 months. 

Well, we know if he makes any changes to assistants it will be to bring in another former player, likely with little or no coaching experience, or friend with a son he might like to try to give a scholarship to, whether the player is sec level or not. 

We also know what the next recruiting class looks like, and none of them are going to be fixes to many of the problems this year's team had ( they may over time but not as FR ).
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

GlassofSwine

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 19, 2018, 12:54:27 pm
Ok. For all intents and purposes we were 6th in the SEC. I don't care about ties when we lost to those teams. So the last four years you love to hang your hat on: 2, 8, 3, 6. Is it realistic to expect we're in the top 4 next year? I'd say no.

So he's better than awful. That's the argument?

Not even close to awful, and I'm not hanging my hat on only the last 4 years. I'm looking at the trend and sustained success compared to other SEC teams. 3rd in the SEC in wins since he started. 3 NCAA tourney appearances ties him for 3rd behind Kentucky and Florida as well.

I'm also not convinced we will be terrible next year. In the past people have complained that he won't be able to replace the scoring and MA always has. So the real question is defense and rebounding and frankly the younger guys were far more active rebounding and defensively than are seniors this year. So for me I have one big question, what will the guard play be like next year. Will find out but I expect we will be a better defensive team next year even if Gafford leaves.

hobhog

GlassofSwine

Quote from: hawgball40 on March 19, 2018, 12:59:36 pm
Ya'll said the same thing about Gafford all year long haha. Henderson is flying right under the radar but will have a good impact as a freshman.

I think Chaney will have a bigger impact than people think. He is good on the block offensively and a big body. He'll be hard to handle down low when he gets up to speed.

RazorPiggie

steveaustin69

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 19, 2018, 01:05:06 pm
Not even close to awful, and I'm not hanging my hat on only the last 4 years. I'm looking at the trend and sustained success compared to other SEC teams. 3rd in the SEC in wins since he started. 3 NCAA tourney appearances ties him for 3rd behind Kentucky and Florida as well.

I'm also not convinced we will be terrible next year. In the past people have complained that he won't be able to replace the scoring and MA always has. So the real question is defense and rebounding and frankly the younger guys were far more active rebounding and defensively than are seniors this year. So for me I have one big question, what will the guard play be like next year. Will find out but I expect we will be a better defensive team next year even if Gafford leaves.

That's a lot of ifs. I don't think we should have to play the if game in year 8. He's shown me nothing in the previous seven years that anything his teams are consistently bad at (3pt defense, rebounding, etc.) will change.

Cargill A. BullHog

2018-19 will be the year the Coach A gets this team over the hump.  He's so close, we've just got to find a group that buys in completely.  Young players will do that.  Go Hogs.
I love my Razorbacks, Coach A, Coach M, Coach VH and all the players and fans.

OkieBack

Quote from: hogsanity on March 19, 2018, 12:59:37 pm
Well, we know if he makes any changes to assistants it will be to bring in another former player, likely with little or no coaching experience, or friend with a son he might like to try to give a scholarship to, whether the player is sec level or not. 

We also know what the next recruiting class looks like, and none of them are going to be fixes to many of the problems this year's team had ( they may over time but not as FR ).

I see what you are saying.  No, CMA has to bring in an assistant for no other reason than to be his own check mate to strengthen the team in ways that he himself is not capable.  Not a former player.  Not the son of a friend of a cousin.  Not a buddy who yells out exactly the same stuff.  He needs a real coach in the ranks who is ready to step up to Arkansas' level but who has the technical knowledge AND is given the authority. 

Makes no diff if CMA has a good assistant unless he is given some power or authority to make the players grow and get better.  But whatever Mike does, he better do it quickly.  Even Eddie Sutton had help getting his teams at OSU to Final Fours.  He had good assistants.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 19, 2018, 01:09:37 pm
That's a lot of ifs. I don't think we should have to play the if game in year 8. He's shown me nothing in the previous seven years that anything his teams are consistently bad at (3pt defense, rebounding, etc.) will change.

But you want to hire a new coach that will have even more if's, just so you can say it is year one.

steveaustin69

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 19, 2018, 01:23:16 pm
But you want to hire a new coach that will have even more if's, just so you can say it is year one.

Christ. It's a risk/reward. High risk and much higher potential reward. We've had seven years of Anderson; do you honestly think we're gonna win anything of real significance with him at the helm? His teams always have the same flaws, and they get beat when it matters because of them.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on March 19, 2018, 01:17:20 pm
You are requesting a guarantee of an uncertain event by anonymous people who have no control over said event and no responsibilities to you if they are wrong?

Okay, I'll play along, but at least let me gurantee something of benefit to you.

I guarantee you that within three days you are going discover $1,000,000 under the front seat cushion of your Mazzerati.

Thanks but I'd rather find in under the seat cushion of my Maserati. It's also not so hard, see I guarantee Bill Self, Mark Few, Greg Marshall, Tom Izzo, Roy Williams, John Calipari, Billy Donovan, etc could do better. How many of these guys will be in are candidate pool? So what I am asking is who are these guys that in are candidate pool that we know will do better than MA? We're saying MA is a mediocre coach we should have a bunch of them right?

Last, this is a message board. No one should be scared to be wrong on a message board. It's for discussion, if I'm wrong I don't hang my head and think "Man I let the Hogville members down.". It's all opinion, it's all discussion and for some reason the majority of people who want to get rid of MA don't want to have a conversation about what type of guys we can hire.  That's a legit question though, you want to fire him so who do you think we can replace him with? That's the first question, and most obvious question someone should ask.

Kevin

The ever changing  logic of the Anderson loyalist is mind boggling
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 19, 2018, 01:32:32 pm
Thanks but I'd rather find in under the seat cushion of my Maserati. It's also not so hard, see I guarantee Bill Self, Mark Few, Greg Marshall, Tom Izzo, Roy Williams, John Calipari, Billy Donovan, etc could do better. How many of these guys will be in are candidate pool? So what I am asking is who are these guys that in are candidate pool that we know will do better than MA? We're saying MA is a mediocre coach we should have a bunch of them right?

Last, this is a message board. No one should be scared to be wrong on a message board. It's for discussion, if I'm wrong I don't hang my head and think "Man I let the Hogville members down.". It's all opinion, it's all discussion and for some reason the majority of people who want to get rid of MA don't want to have a conversation about what type of guys we can hire.  That's a legit question though, you want to fire him so who do you think we can replace him with? That's the first question, and most obvious question someone should ask.

The earliest we would have an opening would be after next season(I don't believe it will be the case).  So it's hard to project what the market will be next year.  With the FBI investigation ongoing, several high profile jobs may open causing a carousel. 

I would be happy to discuss coaches who may would leave their current situation.  But the defenders and fan boys would have targets to tear at and the discussion would deteriorate.  Not interested. 

And when its time to make a change, you make the change.  The fearmongering is dumb.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

GlassofSwine

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 19, 2018, 01:26:22 pm
Christ. It's a risk/reward. High risk and much higher potential reward. We've had seven years of Anderson; do you honestly think we're gonna win anything of real significance with him at the helm? His teams always have the same flaws, and they get beat when it matters because of them.

So let's say we hire your choice Eric Musselman and after 4 years he has 1 NCAA appearance and zero wins in the tourney. Your cool with that?

steveaustin69

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 19, 2018, 01:32:32 pm

Matta, Cronin, Mack  are all attainable if we really opened the checkbook. They are all better than Anderson.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on March 19, 2018, 01:37:18 pm
Yeah, but that someone is Hunter Yurachek. He has the knowledge and resources to have a credible answer...but even he could not give you a "guarantee."

LOL. it's a message board for crying out loud. It's posters on the message board calling for MA's head. Why is no one willing to talk about potential candidates? In MMQB people were openly discussing potential replacements for Bielema years ago.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 19, 2018, 01:37:29 pm
So let's say we hire your choice Eric Musselman and after 4 years he has 1 NCAA appearance and zero wins in the tourney. Your cool with that?

Hell no.  But that hire isn't personal.  A coach hired to do a job.  Season 5, if he gets it, better produce NCAAT results or move on. 

steveaustin69

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 19, 2018, 01:37:29 pm

No. Let's keep on with Mike and we have two NCAAT appearances in four years and one win in the tourney in the next four. You're cool with that?

hogsanity

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 19, 2018, 01:23:16 pm

To follow your logic no one should ever fire a coach because it is just too risky what you will get with the replacement.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 19, 2018, 01:39:54 pm
LOL. it's a message board for crying out loud. It's posters on the message board calling for MA's head. Why is no one willing to talk about potential candidates? In MMQB people were openly discussing potential replacements for Bielema years ago.

Look to your posts last night when we were discussing a coach at another program unrelated to our situation.  Now you want me to suggest replacements for Mike?  I'll be nice and just let this be. 

GlassofSwine

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 19, 2018, 01:39:14 pm
Matta, Cronin, Mack  are all attainable if we really opened the checkbook. They are all better than Anderson.

At least you will name names. Matta- attainable because he is out of work. Mack and Cronin both make less than Anderson but are also at better programs than Arkansas. You'd be hoping $ can steal you a candidate and that those schools wouldn't give their coaches a nice raise.

steveaustin69

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 19, 2018, 01:47:28 pm
At least you will name names. Matta- attainable because he is out of work. Mack and Cronin both make less than Anderson but are also at better programs than Arkansas. You'd be hoping $ can steal you a candidate and that those schools wouldn't give their coaches a nice raise.

You'd argue with a wall. Damn near everything you say has an "if, but" qualifier.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: hogsanity on March 19, 2018, 01:42:06 pm
To follow your logic no one should ever fire a coach because it is just too risky what you will get with the replacement.

Nope not my logic at all, I wanted Bielema fired a long time ago because he was terrible. MA isn't terrible he just isn't great, he's a good coach. You want great. I can respect that so again I'm simply asking for who are the potential candidates? You guys want to discuss firing him but not replacing him. 

GlassofSwine

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 19, 2018, 01:49:16 pm
You'd argue with a wall. Damn near everything you say has an "if, but" qualifier.

Everything you say is an assumption. You threw out 3 names you think would be interested. I simply gave a reason why 2 on the list would be doubtful.

steveaustin69

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 19, 2018, 01:55:20 pm
Everything you say is an assumption. You threw out 3 names you think would be interested. I simply gave a reason why 2 on the list would be doubtful.

Enjoy the sea of average that is Mike Anderson.

hogsanity

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 19, 2018, 01:47:28 pm

Musselman, Beard, Matta, Mack, Cronin, Buzz ( you think he would not love to get out of the meat grinder that is the ACC? ),  PAdgett ( the UL interim, I think he has a bright future ), Otzelberger from SDSU, Johnny Dawkins from UCF ( always thought he was going to put it together some place ), Stansbury ( although at 58 may be a little old ), Collins from Northwestern. 

GlassofSwine

Quote from: hogsanity on March 19, 2018, 02:01:31 pm
Musselman, Beard, Matta, Mack, Cronin, Buzz ( you think he would not love to get out of the meat grinder that is the ACC? ),  PAdgett ( the UL interim, I think he has a bright future ), Otzelberger from SDSU, Johnny Dawkins from UCF ( always thought he was going to put it together some place ), Stansbury ( although at 58 may be a little old ), Collins from Northwestern.

Off that list I like Beard and Cronin a lot, I also think they would be tough to get here.

hawgball40

Quote from: hogsanity on March 19, 2018, 02:01:31 pm
Stansbury? The guy who killed MSU?

steveaustin69

hawgball40

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 19, 2018, 01:06:46 pm
I think Chaney will have a bigger impact than people think. He is good on the block offensively and a big body. He'll be hard to handle down low when he gets up to speed.
I agree. He's tough as nails and fundamentally sound. Couldn't remember his name but have watched some film on him. can defend, rebound, post up, face up, pass. he's been very well coached from what i've seen. Athletically though, there is no comparison between henderson and chaney. Henderson plays well above the rim and rebounds out of area. Im out on a limb but i think both will be very good, even just as freshmen. People don't expect much from henderson, but before his monumental slide down the rankings he was once a highly coveted recruit. Some people forget that. And its because of his athleticism.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: HF#1 on March 19, 2018, 12:12:18 pm
Don't forget, Mike has a new boss. He has no emotional or nostalgic ties to Mike. All he can do is evaluate the past 7 years and the current trajectory of the program. Who knows what he will do. The program he just left was a buzzer beater away from the Sweet 16 and dominated Arkansas earlier in the season which was his first impression of Mike.
And our new AD played basketball in college. So it makes sense he may feel more connected to the basketball program in some ways than to the football program. He is more knowledgeable regarding basketball than football obviously.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Sivad

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 19, 2018, 02:21:53 pm
And our new AD played basketball in college.
Then he should be quite shocked when he watches and listens to the Anderson "mic'd up" segments.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: hogsanity on March 19, 2018, 01:42:06 pm
Man, there are a ton of people who think this way, not just regarding a new coach of their favorite team but in all aspects of life.

"Well, I better just make due with this sh***y job, because I may hate my next job even more" or, "I will be content with just a HS diploma from Podunk HS because I may not be able to get a better job even if I try to get a college degree. So, I'll just sit tight and try to be happy with what I am currently not that happy about."

Most folks are not smart enough to be risk takers. And of the rest, there is a fair percentage who are to stupid to take risks the right way. In other words, don't quit your job before you find another, et al.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Beaverfever

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 19, 2018, 02:21:53 pm
And our new AD played basketball in college. So it makes sense he may feel more connected to the basketball program in some ways than to the football program. He is more knowledgeable regarding basketball than football obviously.
i'm praying this is the case and he is knowledgeable on the game of basketball.  The University of Arkansas may have a rich basketball history but I'm not convinced there is an abundance of actual basketball knowledge in the state of Arkansas.  I certainly don't know the game that well.  I don't think most people on this board do.  Arkansas is a football/baseball state.  My point is that I hope someone who really knows the game is watching what he's doing and has input on the future of our program. 

HotlantaHog

Nope. I am a CMA supporter but I think you certainly expect better than what was laid out in the hypothetical.

I think MA would expect better than that too. I think he does expect better than that.

hogsanity

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 19, 2018, 02:15:44 pm
Off that list I like Beard and Cronin a lot, I also think they would be tough to get here.

Thing is you don't know until you ask.

Quote from: hawgball40 on March 19, 2018, 02:15:53 pm
Stansbury? The guy who killed MSU?

Dude can coach. Took over a WKU team that went 18-16 the yr before he came and in two years had them win 24, most since 80/09 season.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 19, 2018, 02:30:11 pm

Most folks are not smart enough to be risk takers. And of the rest, there is a fair percentage who are to stupid to take risks the right way. In other words, don't quit your job before you find another, et al.

Ah, so your saying we shouldn't fire MA before we know we can lineup a better coach. Excellent point.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Beaverfever on March 19, 2018, 02:36:56 pm
i'm praying this is the case and he is knowledgeable on the game of basketball.  The University of Arkansas may have a rich basketball history but I'm not convinced there is an abundance of actual basketball knowledge in the state of Arkansas.  I certainly don't know the game that well.  I don't think most people on this board do.  Arkansas is a football/baseball state.  My point is that I hope someone who really knows the game is watching what he's doing and has input on the future of our program.
Ironically, the only meaningful national championship ever won at Univ of Arkansas was in basketball 24 years ago.