Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

C.J. Jones

Started by gmarv54, January 15, 2018, 08:48:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gmarv54

It seems to me that C.J. going into this horrendous shooting slump just as we hit sec play has been a big factor in our winning and losing games.
When he was playing well we got a instant shot of momentum when the guys came in off the bench even if the starters started slow.
It looks like CA is gonna try to get the momentum by bring Macon off the bench,guess we will see.Sure wish C.J. would find his stoke.

PonderinHog

CJ is experiencing a very cold January.

onebadrubi

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 15, 2018, 09:05:12 am
CJ is experiencing a very cold January.

Not your best work.  lol

PonderinHog

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 15, 2018, 09:16:53 am
Not your best work.  lol
I can do worse.  I was thinking he could use some hand warmers...

TebowHater

CJ has had about 4-5 good games in his career here (and they were all in a row). Not sure those games weren't the exception rather than the rule.

Pigasaurus

Quote from: TebowHater on January 15, 2018, 09:30:39 am
CJ has had about 4-5 good games in his career here (and they were all in a row). Not sure those games weren't the exception rather than the rule.
Had the same thought. Hope he gets hot again regardless.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

Iwastherein1969

His shot has become to look like he's launching a rocket instead of using the soft touch of the finger tips for his release. C.J. is going to injure someone or break some equipment if he continues firing off rockets like Kim Jong Un.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

TNhawgfan

Remember the poster that said CJ wouldn't be here 4 years because he would get drafted by the NBA? Jumpball never overreacts
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

JayHog

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on January 15, 2018, 10:10:52 am
His shot has become to look like he's launching a rocket instead of using the soft touch of the finger tips for his release. C.J. is going to injure someone or break some equipment if he continues firing off rockets like Kim Jong Un.

I was noticing the same thing. Even the couple of little floaters he's made slashing through the lane.... the floaters didn't exactly "float". It's more like he threw the ball at the bucket and it clanged so hard back and forth on the rim before going in.  There was definitely no finesse to it.

Fan701

Quote from: JayHog on January 15, 2018, 10:26:19 am
I was noticing the same thing. Even the couple of little floaters he's made slashing through the lane.... the floaters didn't exactly "float". It's more like he threw the ball at the bucket and it clanged so hard back and forth on the rim before going in.  There was definitely no finesse to it.
He's nervous, frustrated, self-conscious-because-failing-in-front-of-big-crowds, not relaxed, and it shows up as strong-arming the ball rather than a gentle touch off the finger tips.  We've seen that he at least used to have a nice stroke.  I'd guess it will come back to him.  Hopefully, it won't be too late to help us. 

cjack

We met Beard and CJ Jones at Cracker Barrel Sunday morning.  Jones seems to be an extremely shy kid.  I would guess that translates onto the floor somewhat with the big crowds.  I hope he finds his shot again and settles down.  We need him off the bench in a bad way.
Woooo Pig Soooie!

gmarv54

Quote from: cjack on January 15, 2018, 10:44:47 am
We met Beard and CJ Jones at Cracker Barrel Sunday morning.  Jones seems to be an extremely shy kid.  I would guess that translates onto the floor somewhat with the big crowds.  I hope he finds his shot again and settles down.  We need him off the bench in a bad way.
Yep me too, we are much better when he has it going.pre sec when the second unit came in they would actually expand the lead and he was a big part of that.

ThisTeetsTaken

He's got to learn to make shots when he's guarded not just when he's wide open.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

alohawg

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 15, 2018, 09:22:52 am
I can do worse.  I was thinking he could use some hand warmers...

Well his a$$ should be warm enough by now....
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

onebadrubi

Do y'all remember his drive to the basket against Mizzou on Saturday?  Had a really nice first step and cut, but his finish was just sheer ugly.  And it did not go.

rude1

Confidence is gone, now part of the scouting report and teams are aware of him and are closing down on him quickly, making him rush his shots. Along with that, he isn't exactly working hard without the ball to get himself better looks, he is doing too much standing and waiting. He isn't a guy who can create his own looks so he really needs to start cutting hard off those picks looking to get open through constant motion so the defense has to work to find him. 

alohawg

Quote from: rude1 on January 15, 2018, 12:24:19 pm
Confidence is gone, now part of the scouting report and teams are aware of him and are closing down on him quickly, making him rush his shots. Along with that, he isn't exactly working hard without the ball to get himself better looks, he is doing too much standing and waiting. He isn't a guy who can create his own looks so he really needs to start cutting hard off those picks looking to get open through constant motion so the defense has to work to find him. 

That's right, and because teams are closing hard it creates opportunities to cut hard to the bucket without the ball or pump fake and drive with it. He desperately needs coaching.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️

HawgTrough

Since 12/19

FG% 5-26 16%

3 pt% 1-13  7%

FT% 1-4  20%

That has to be historically bad
WPS

urkillnmesmalls

If he hangs out with Beard, he'll at least gain confidence.  Whether it's warranted or not...different subject.   :D

It seems, and I emphasize seems, that between Hall and Jones, with some good offensive sets designed to take advantage of TT's ability to pass from the high post, we should be able to squeeze some productive minutes out of the second team.  Sadly...that hasn't come to fruition, and I'm sure some of that is because Jones isn't forcing the defense's hand by making 3's.  If that changes...it could make a HUGE difference. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

alohawg

Quote from: HawgTrough on January 15, 2018, 01:09:27 pm
Since 12/19

FG% 5-26 16%

3 pt% 1-13  7%

FT% 1-4  20%

That has to be historically bad

Maybe he would benefit from a sports physcologist?
-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: alohawg on January 15, 2018, 01:32:33 pm
Maybe he would benefit from a sports physcologist?

Maybe so, but as a casual observer, it just looks to me like at this point he's a one trick pony...catch and shoot in rhythm.  With people flying out at him, if he can just learn to go around them...he'd re-establish the ability to catch and shoot to some extent.  He appears to have a TON of athletic ability, but needs polish on his scoring ability to go with his shot.  Hopefully that will come with time and work. 

I think the slump is just mostly rushing.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

alohawg

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 15, 2018, 01:36:37 pm
Maybe so, but as a casual observer, it just looks to me like at this point he's a one trick pony...catch and shoot in rhythm.  With people flying out at him, if he can just learn to go around them...he'd re-establish the ability to catch and shoot to some extent.  He appears to have a TON of athletic ability, but needs polish on his scoring ability to go with his shot.  Hopefully that will come with time and work. 

He has definitely been rushing his shot, especially after eating one a few games back.
Confidence is a tricky thing sometimes, all shooters know this to some degree. As someone who still plays regularly with guys half my age, 'shooter' is the only real threat I still possess, and I go thru ups and downs.
I can go 1-5 beyond the arc Tues. nite and turn around and go 4-5 Thurs. nite, but extended periods of time are fairly unusual......for me.
He must figure it out, if it takes shooting 500 shots a day on his own or meditation, whatever it is because the team desperately misses his contributions.
-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️

rude1

Quote from: alohawg on January 15, 2018, 12:28:21 pm
That's right, and because teams are closing hard it creates opportunities to cut hard to the bucket without the ball or pump fake and drive with it. He desperately needs coaching.
Wish it was that simple, coaching doesn't cure all. He obviously has been told to drive it to the rim, but have you seen what that looks like when he has tried it? It's simply not a thing of beauty and he looks completely uncomfortable when trying to do it.

labb

The game has not slowed down for C.J. instead it has sped up. Unless you have experienced it this will not make much sense but to the really good ones the game is in slow motion. For C.J. right now the game is in fast forward...Just shooting 500 shots a day is not going to cure his problem. Maybe shooting 500 shots a day with someone running at him would help. What ever it is in his head. We know the kid can shoot. We have seen it.

The_Iceman

I believe that CJ Jones will get out of this slump at some point.

TebowHater

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 15, 2018, 01:36:37 pm

At least half of the shots he has missed have been caught and shot in rhythm. Many have been total airballs. He's a zero trick pony right now.

Kevin

cj is rushing his shot. his shot starts around his belly button. so he has a lot of arm swing he must get through before the defense gets to him. he is having to move his arms really quick through that space to get to his shooting pocket.  that is why he is struggling. he is not wide open anymore.

he needs to work in the offseason on starting the ball under his chin, for a quicker release.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

niels_boar

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 15, 2018, 02:15:28 pm
I believe that CJ Jones will get out of this slump at some point.

This.  Lately C.J. has been deciding that he is going to shoot the ball as soon as he gets it regardless of what the defense is showing him. Hall had been doing the same with drives, but he flipped a switch and has been making excellent decisions the last few games.  One good game could turn things around for C.J. just as quickly.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

daprospecta

Quote from: TNhawgfan on January 15, 2018, 10:25:24 am
Remember the poster that said CJ wouldn't be here 4 years because he would get drafted by the NBA? Jumpball never overreacts
That was me. If he would have continued playing that way this year and next, he could certainly get drafted in three years. He would be another Kyle Kuzma.

ErnestHamingway

CJ acts scared to death. He doesn't even want to touch the ball. His confidence is shattered.

labb

Quote from: tncbg on January 15, 2018, 07:30:14 pm
What makes you think a guy who can't crack the starting lineup at Arkansas would ever have a chance at being drafted? He barely played last year, so what "playing" are you referring to? Surely you aren't basing your comment on exhibition games in Europe. The only future NBA player on this team is Gafford, and he needs at least one more year. That's it, the rest better study and get that degree. The NBA takes the best of the best, not guys who show out in non-conference games.
I think that there are at least two guards that will play pro ball. Just not in the NBA.

daprospecta

Quote from: tncbg on January 15, 2018, 07:30:14 pm
What makes you think a guy who can't crack the starting lineup at Arkansas would ever have a chance at being drafted? He barely played last year, so what "playing" are you referring to? Surely you aren't basing your comment on exhibition games in Europe. The only future NBA player on this team is Gafford, and he needs at least one more year. That's it, the rest better study and get that degree. The NBA takes the best of the best, not guys who show out in non-conference games.
It happens more than you think. Buddy Heild comes to mind.

Hogballisback

This is one of the worst posts I've ever seen. Guy was eating breakfast, doesn't want to be bothered by fans probably. Does not translate to literally anything. He needs to start shooting better, buy even if he is shy, that had nothing to do with performance in front of big crowds. He clearly is where he is because he is a competitor.

cardinalhawg

I think with CJ it is a mix of lost confidence and having difficulty getting into to the flow of the game offensively.  He doesn't benefit from others looking for him and getting him the ball at the right times.  Despite its limitations, the 2015-2016 team had a good mix of players who worked the ball around well and a point guard in Durham looking to get the ball to guys to score.  Hannahs and Bell benefitted from Durham, Kingsley inside, and both being on the court together.  When CJ passes the ball back out to another guard, sometimes the best thing is a quick pass right back to him or ball fake and quick pass right back for the pop.  Also, good post ups by players like Gafford and Thompson getting it and popping it back out to CJ in rhythm would help as IMO the best look is when the ball comes right back out from the inside where the shooter is squared up to the goal.  For the team as a hole, just getting the ball into the post more will help all around as a post players wont feel like he has to score every time with limited touches and thus feed the ball back out to our guards squared up in rhythm. 

For CJ, it will help him if he starts doing more of what Hannahs did and what Bell did his senior year which is relying on driving more and using the mid-range game more and getting to the foul line more often.  If he becomes better at creating his own shot, then that will obviously help, but until then, he will needs others to look for him, better team ball movement instead and less guard dribbling, and/or plays designed for him.  CJ has shown at times that he can make good cuts and finish well at the basket and come off curls and hit the mid range jumper. 

I understand from personal experience how it can be a mental thing that develops regarding confidence during a game.  He has started some games slow this year and then got it going as he took more shots.  As others have posted, right now other teams are locking down on him and charging at him and he seems to be rushing shots and shooting too hard.  Other teams are wisely focusing on taking a player away that can bury them pretty quickly if he gets on a hot streak. 

I had thought it might be nice if he would get a start and see if that might get him on track.  I do like Hall starting though for the energy and defense that he provides.  I like how Anderson gives him extended minutes in hopes of getting him on track, and maybe he can get on track soon. 

draftkings33

Like Malik Monk he jumps very high on his 3 pointers.  Hard to be consistent shooting like that from deep.  Watch him in warmups.  He makes 90 percent just barely jumping. 

Breems

Quote from: draftkings33 on January 16, 2018, 08:40:19 am
Like Malik Monk he jumps very high on his 3 pointers.  Hard to be consistent shooting like that from deep.  Watch him in warmups.  He makes 90 percent just barely jumping. 

He's also stiff as a board when he shoots due to his low confidence.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

draftkings33

Quote from: Breems on January 16, 2018, 12:54:10 pm
He's also stiff as a board when he shoots due to his low confidence.
Should have redshirted last year no doubt