Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I still think back to the end of the first half vs Texas A&M…the deeper meaning.

Started by Tejano Jawg, October 21, 2017, 01:40:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tejano Jawg

We had the ball, we had good field position, we had time, and we had timeouts...(yes, old news)...

But still, what I'm talking about has LESS to do with the real specifics of that minute+ stretch. There were a couple people here (I think Erie was one of them) who made a very sound, logical case for why we gave up. And it did make some sense. Strategically, you could still be right.

What I'm talking about is on a different level. In 2017, the reality is we are not good enough to just trade possessions with any team. We cannot line up and beat anyone. What initially got me livid over our throwing in the towel in the A&M game...I thought it was a valuable possession we would need. And as the game ended in regulation, I was right. Most teams do this to end the first half (usually by taking a knee) and I don't get it much of the time. You have the ball with an opportunity...at the end of the game, you may not. You can't get that earlier possession back.

Since then, when I think of that last minute+, what's stuck with me is the lack of FIGHT in us (starting with our coaching staff). Or, the lack of aggression. The lack of spirit to gamble. The worse team in a matchup has to be the one to take chances, not the best team. Think about how we all felt when we lined up for the 2-pt conversion in OT vs Ole Miss a couple years ago. I believe most of us were so thrilled with our showing such "BALLS" with that decision, that the idea of losing the game was less relevant. For me, I was so proud of the call that the outcome was secondary.

Today—and it may not go well for the Hogs—I just want to see that fight. I want to see us play with some fire. If we lose, fine, we were supposed to. I was at the TCU game and I don't want to see that again...where we just go quietly into the night.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Tejano Jawg

Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 21, 2017, 01:42:11 pm
Erie was right.

Erie was right...but it exposed a mentality of this staff that being "right" may not be able to overcome.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Mo_Better_Hogs

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 21, 2017, 01:42:11 pm
Erie was right.

But had our coaching staff done the wrong thing, that would have cost us how? Last I checked, we lost that game. In overtime.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HiggiePiggy

If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Atlhogfan1

davglo35

Remember in 2010 when there were 6 seconds left in the 1st half against lsu and we stuck the dagger in their heart with a 80 yd td pass. Even the announcers said we would take a knee. We destroyed lsu that day in that play alone.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: davglo35 on October 21, 2017, 06:30:09 pm
Remember in 2010 when there were 6 seconds left in the 1st half against lsu and we stuck the dagger in their heart with a 80 yd td pass. Even the announcers said we would take a knee. We destroyed lsu that day in that play alone.

Yeah.  That was a nice play. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?