Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2018 Team Rankings

Started by Boss Hog in the Arkansas, May 09, 2017, 11:02:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

I don't recall ever seeing Arkansas #1 on any list of this type thus far in my lifetime. This is a beautiful sight!
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

RazorPiggie

Notice you don't see Duke, UK, KU, etc. It will be hard to stay up there come spring of 18. Only 4 of the top 30 players are committed to schools right now.

jry04

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on May 09, 2017, 11:02:08 am
I don't recall ever seeing Arkansas #1 on any list of this type thus far in my lifetime. This is a beautiful sight!

Nice to see now, but it won't stay that way. Basketball rankings, more than any other sport, are mostly about quantity rather than quality this early. I do think we have a quality recruiting class, but very few teams can lay claim to having 4 commits this early for 2018. Notice all the teams below us have 2 or fewer commits. If any of those top 10 teams land a 5* like they expect to between now and then, we will probably be bumped from the #1 spot more than likely. When UK signed 4 5* kids in the late signing period they will jump us. It is really hard to gauge how good a class is when everyone's needs are different each year. A team may just have 1 scholarship to fill but sign the #1 player, whereas another team has 5 to fill and sign all 3*/4* kids, but that team that signed 5 is ranked ahead of the team who filled their scholarship with the best possible player.

Much easier in football since everyone signs at or around 25 total kids each year.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: The ColonelHog on May 09, 2017, 12:10:54 pm
Everything you posted is true but it's still great to be sitting here this early.  We know U.K. Will jump us but some in another thread predicted we would fall out of the top ten.  I don't see that as it's going to be hard for teams to get the quantity and the quality we have coming in.  A top ten finish is going to still be a VERY big deal.
Agreed. Heck I'd be happy with a top 15 finish
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

jry04

Quote from: The ColonelHog on May 09, 2017, 12:10:54 pm
Everything you posted is true but it's still great to be sitting here this early.  We know U.K. Will jump us but some in another thread predicted we would fall out of the top ten.  I don't see that as it's going to be hard for teams to get the quantity and the quality we have coming in.  A top ten finish is going to still be a VERY big deal.
Agreed, and it doesn't sound like we are done adding either.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: jry04 on May 09, 2017, 02:07:26 pm
Agreed, and it doesn't sound like we are done adding either.
Right, hopefully we can get Weaver and that will be another 4-star recruit added to the fold.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

1hawgballer2

Quote from: RazorPiggie on May 09, 2017, 11:18:43 am
Notice you don't see Duke, UK, KU, etc. It will be hard to stay up there come spring of 18. Only 4 of the top 30 players are committed to schools right now.

Response: yeah and currently Perry is so close to be rated as a 5* and the other 3 were already classified 4*s which should hold that 1 rating, but at the end of the day I'll settle for their Stellar performances at the next level

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: ricolacey on May 10, 2017, 02:22:24 pm
Response: yeah and currently Perry is so close to be rated as a 5* and the other 3 were already classified 4*s which should hold that 1 rating, but at the end of the day I'll settle for their Stellar performances at the next level
I bet if Perry was being recruited by Dook or the Lexington Ky Used Car salesman, miraculously he would get that 5th star.  But since he has committed to Ark, he will remain a 4 unless he does something extraordinary. 

And I agree with all the above posts about just wait until Dook, Kansas, KY, UNC get their recruits signed, Hogs will go down from #1, but nevertheless, its good to be up there at least for a while.  Maybe slowly but surely MA is getting recruiting turned around. 

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on May 09, 2017, 11:02:08 am
after the National Championship year 1994 or maybe 1995, Nolan had the #1 recruiting class in all the land and that was after everyone was signed, but hardly any of them made it to Fayetteville due to academic problems and what not.  That was the best class, on paper, that I can remember Arkansas having maybe until the 2018 one.  We will see.

PORKULATOR

I'm really looking forward to the basketball hype that we're going to have in about 18 months. We're building and trending up right now, but we're going to have it good going in to the 2020's.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

PORKULATOR

We need 1 guy to move up to a 5* to stay in the top teams come next spring.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Hawg Red

Quote from: PORKULATOR on May 21, 2017, 05:02:34 pm
We need 1 guy to move up to a 5* to stay in the top teams come next spring.

Could very well happen with Reggie Perry.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 22, 2017, 10:29:18 am
Could very well happen with Reggie Perry.
He is trending up^.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Hawg Red

BannerMountainMan

"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

BrooklynRoss

Yes! Perry said that was his goal and he got it. Nice work.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.