Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2016 Arkansas Vs. Texas A&M Highlight Review

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, April 27, 2017, 04:43:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Some of this will make you say, "what if?" and some of it will make you say, "doggone it". But in reviewing this highlight reel you can see that there were a lot of times that we didn't play badly in this game, we just made too judgement mistakes on both sides of the ball against A&M.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ALhb5Ivrsc
Go Hogs Go!

Al Boarland

In summary. We found ways to lose games. That's more frustrating than being outgunned in 1/3 of the games we play.

RebelliousHog

Ok had to turn that off. The announcers sucking Aggie was getting to me.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

Sed76

Sitting in that stadium watching another choke job was just brutal. Not being able to score on the goal line, RWIII fumbling going into the endzone, Reed fumbling. Then of course we had the defense give up a 90 plus yard TD pass and 2 Trevor Knight right up the middle scores. I was so freaking steamed leaving that place once again with a loss.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Al Boarland on April 27, 2017, 09:07:09 pm
In summary. We found ways to lose games. That's more frustrating than being outgunned in 1/3 of the games we play.

Yes, we did. This game is an example of where we might play well for 2-3 plays and then the 4th play, be out of position, make an arm tackle, run to the wrong hole, not follow a blocker, miss a block that destroys the play or allows a sack, etc., etc.

On defense, like that Pro Scout told Clay Henry, the 4-3 or 5-2 scheme that we played and what was expected of players to execute was just a bad concept and OC's just moved our players out of position to make a play, like having a MLB try to cover a WR as an example. It isn't that we don't have talent on defense, they were just too often out of position to make a play. Let's hope that changes this year.

This is why I have hope for this year. We do have a good players and they just need a better scheme and the coaching to keep them in the right position and the right read each play.

As painful as the A&M game was, I saw bright spots that offer hope for better play in 2017, but I know how easy it is to get fixated on 6-7 plays that broke our backs.
Go Hogs Go!

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Sed76 on April 27, 2017, 10:15:00 pm
Sitting in that stadium watching another choke job was just brutal. Not being able to score on the goal line, RWIII fumbling going into the endzone, Reed fumbling. Then of course we had the defense give up a 90 plus yard TD pass and 2 Trevor Knight right up the middle scores. I was so freaking steamed leaving that place once again with a loss.

This.  We've attended the last three fiascos in JerryWorld and nothing leaves a bitter taste in your mouth like shelling out ridiculous amounts of cash for the tickets, a tailgate spot, an overpriced hotel and everything else for two nights, only to watch us lose to the Aggies in the most painful ways possible.  We will be watching this year from the comfort of our own home.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ATU HOG

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 28, 2017, 06:10:39 am
This.  We've attended the last three fiascos in JerryWorld and nothing leaves a bitter taste in your mouth like shelling out ridiculous amounts of cash for the tickets, a tailgate spot, an overpriced hotel and everything else for two nights, only to watch us lose to the Aggies in the most painful ways possible.  We will be watching this year from the comfort of our own home.
Been there and done that before too.  Never been more sick than in 2014. 

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 27, 2017, 04:43:48 pm
Some of this will make you say, "what if?" and some of it will make you say, "doggone it". But in reviewing this highlight reel you can see that there were a lot of times that we didn't play badly in this game, we just made too judgement mistakes on both sides of the ball against A&M.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ALhb5Ivrsc
I'll wait to review the Ark/TAM highlights until finally beat their rear ends. Hopefully as early as this next season.

gchamblee

Quote from: HenduHog on April 27, 2017, 09:38:22 pm
Ok had to turn that off. The announcers sucking Aggie was getting to me.

Those are 2 of the best announcers in the sport. The fact that you think they are biased is laughable.

The Hawg Marshal

This game is a must win in my book. Hate losing to them. WPS

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on April 28, 2017, 10:09:35 am
I'll wait to review the Ark/TAM highlights until finally beat their rear ends. Hopefully as early as this next season.

I guess I just saw more positives in the that game than some of you. Unfortunately there 6-7 plays that we just handed to A&M as well. And in looking again, I saw a lot of places where if we had ran to the right hole, we score a TD...at least twice.

We give up just two less big plays (inexcusable big plays allowed) and score those other two times and guess what? We win 38-31.
Go Hogs Go!

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ATU HOG on April 28, 2017, 09:56:11 am
Been there and done that before too.  Never been more sick than in 2014.

I'd say 2014 and 2015 were a dead heat as gut punch losses.  Those games were so remarkably similar it was eerie.  The fact that last year we began our self-destruction in the 3rd quarter - as opposed to the last 3 minutes of the game the two previous years - made it a little less nauseating.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Sed76

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 28, 2017, 11:06:31 am
I'd say 2014 and 2015 were a dead heat as gut punch losses.  Those games were so remarkably similar it was eerie.  The fact that last year we began our self-destruction in the 3rd quarter - as opposed to the last 3 minutes of the game the two previous years - made it a little less nauseating.

What made it especially sickening for me last year was even though we were in the Arkansas section was surrounded by drunk Aggie fans who just wouldn't shut up about how terrible out defense was and Arkansas would find a way to lose the game. Sad thing is he was right on both counts. Against my better judgement went ahead and bought tickets this year but if they choke away another one I'm done making that trip.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 28, 2017, 10:57:44 am
I guess I just saw more positives in the that game than some of you. Unfortunately there 6-7 plays that we just handed to A&M as well. And in looking again, I saw a lot of places where if we had ran to the right hole, we score a TD...at least twice.

We give up just two less big plays (inexcusable big plays allowed) and score those other two times and guess what? We win 38-31.

this game looks like the other CBB games against A&M.. look great early, not take advantage of opportunities, man handle them for a while before wilting.....not make a first down for 5 or 6 possessions in a row to run the clock when ahead, quick 3 and outs when behind................ similar to Mizzu and VT last year... it's our DNA so far under CBB, be a good time to chart another path..maybe this year....

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 28, 2017, 06:10:39 am

Good, several poster's had mentioned, they thought you were bad luck... ;D

bphi11ips

That sucked.

You're not going to win too many games where you give up 366 yards rushing on 37 carries. How does that happen at Arkansas?  Scheme, I get it, but jeez.  It doesn't help when your middle linebacker gets packed by a receiver's stiff arm. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

phadedhawg

That was a painful game.  After getting stuffed on the goal line I knew it was going to be a trying season. 

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: bphi11ips on April 28, 2017, 01:28:27 pm
That sucked.

You're not going to win too many games where you give up 366 yards rushing on 37 carries. How does that happen at Arkansas?  Scheme, I get it, but jeez.  It doesn't help when your middle linebacker gets packed by a receiver's stiff arm.

Reminds me of the old joke:

"Coach, they're running at will."

"Then get Will out of there!"

phadedhawg

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 28, 2017, 01:34:30 pm
Reminds me of the old joke:

"Coach, they're running at will."

"Then get Will out of there!"

lolol

Tejano Jawg

Muskogee, you're a smart and level-headed guy. And when you say there are positives, I believe you. I just don't know if I can watch that video to find them.

2014 and 2015 were excruciating, because truly a play or 2 would have been the difference. Plus, the OTs didn't help. 2016 was different. That one just had sickening plays on both sides of the ball. So many—getting stuffed on the goal line might have been the worst of the bunch. That revealed the truth about our o-line. (I always believed we needed Sprinkle right there.) And, as has been mentioned, our poor defensive play, letting Knight run untouched and look like a Heisman candidate. Awful. And that gave us a view into our D as well.

Regarding the "Aggie thing" (sorry about the ramble to follow)— Living in Texas, I have some good friends who are Aggies, so they get a pass. It's the others—the acquaintances and the general Aggie population at large that disgust me. I'm sick of all that, but mostly of the knowledge that they were all grabbing each others' crotches in joy after the painful losses of the past 3 years. I don't want those pieces of S happy.

Beating them throughout history made things right in the universe. I understand the Manziel years, but even then, in the second year—the Fayetteville game—I was more pleased at how we played than I was bummed about the loss. But think about the 2014 game—the long Jon Williams run negated by Skipper's penalty. The one play that had them buried, has set the tone for the entire series since then. (I know that sounds too 'cosmic'.) If that play was different, that entire season may have been different. Then, who knows? The next year, I had gotten to the unrealistic point of saying I want to beat A&M, even if that's our only win. Now, after last year, I don't know what to think. I wasn't expecting anything like that one. But we have to get back on track, make the one play that makes the difference in our favor. Then, I want Arkansas to be the reason that Sumlin gets fired.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 28, 2017, 06:06:27 am
...On defense, like that Pro Scout told Clay Henry, the 4-3 or 5-2 scheme that we played and what was expected of players to execute was just a bad concept and OC's just moved our players out of position to make a play, like having a MLB try to cover a WR as an example. ...

When I could, for about the 5th or 10th time, say before the snap, "Oh, they sent that guy over there in the slot and Ellis has to cover him. We're screwed," I was ready for a new DC.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

When you can beat a team mentally into believing you're better than they are you will win. Our team was not strong mentally, and they have not been for a while. We need some guys to be SOB's this year and just take it personally.!!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

MuskogeeHogFan

April 28, 2017, 04:49:45 pm #22 Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 05:06:39 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on April 28, 2017, 04:11:20 pm
When you can beat a team mentally into believing you're better than they are you will win. Our team was not strong mentally, and they have not been for a while. We need some guys to be SOB's this year and just take it personally.!!

We need more than that, but I get your thought process. If I were our defense I would be living for the day(s) that I could prove that everyone was wrong about us.

If I were them, I would have every, single game on the 2017 schedule circled as a game where we needed to prove ourselves. And, I am pretty sure that is the case.
Go Hogs Go!

Bebop

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 28, 2017, 06:06:27 am
Yes, we did. This game is an example of where we might play well for 2-3 plays and then the 4th play, be out of position, make an arm tackle, run to the wrong hole, not follow a blocker, miss a block that destroys the play or allows a sack, etc., etc.

On defense, like that Pro Scout told Clay Henry, the 4-3 or 5-2 scheme that we played and what was expected of players to execute was just a bad concept and OC's just moved our players out of position to make a play, like having a MLB try to cover a WR as an example. It isn't that we don't have talent on defense, they were just too often out of position to make a play. Let's hope that changes this year.

This is why I have hope for this year. We do have a good players and they just need a better scheme and the coaching to keep them in the right position and the right read each play.

As painful as the A&M game was, I saw bright spots that offer hope for better play in 2017, but I know how easy it is to get fixated on 6-7 plays that broke our backs.

Why does it take an entire season to figure this out when it obvious to those who are not the coaches?

Also, this points out that:
1. It wasn't a talent issue like everyone claimed it to be.
2. It showed that there was a deficiency in the coaches by failing to address and change the problem
3. Changing the scheme might not be the issue but more in how the it was implemented.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Bebop on April 28, 2017, 05:57:06 pm
Why does it take an entire season to figure this out when it obvious to those who are not the coaches?

Also, this points out that:
1. It wasn't a talent issue like everyone claimed it to be.
2. It showed that there was a deficiency in the coaches by failing to address and change the problem
3. Changing the scheme might not be the issue but more in how the it was implemented.

Hindsight is 20-20 for we fans. I can assure you that Bielema knew this before we had any epiphany. But he was stuck with Smith, which is why he said that there were some things that couldn't be addressed until after the season. You can't change your scheme in mid-stream.
Go Hogs Go!

bphi11ips

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 28, 2017, 06:02:16 pm
Hindsight is 20-20 for we fans. I can assure you that Bielema knew this before we had any epiphany. But he was stuck with Smith, which is why he said that there were some things that couldn't be addressed until after the season. You can't change your scheme in mid-stream.

Why not?  You can dang sure get your linebackers and safeties to start playing with their eyes rather than their shoelaces. That had nothing to do with scheme. We didn't scheme for wide open lanes up the middle play after play. If you have to wait from September to September to get that fixed you have a bigger problem than scheme.

For some reason Arkansas seems to have figured out how to out Aggie the Aggies. I thought the goal was to out Alabama Alabama.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

wildhogman

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 28, 2017, 06:02:16 pm
Well you cant if its the only scheme your DC knows.  The alternative might have been worse all around. Demot or fire RS and move PR to DC.  Now you have it out in open you do fire coaches which might give another coach pause to come take a chance here. And if you demote and it rips the team apart, the season gets even worse.  Sux but in my lowly opinion he made right choice.

LZH

Quote from: bphi11ips on April 28, 2017, 01:28:27 pm
It doesn't help when your middle linebacker gets packed by a receiver's stiff arm. 

That didn't happen.....we have SEC talent on that side of the ball.

Quote from: wildhogman on April 28, 2017, 06:13:58 pm
Well you cant if its the only scheme your DC knows.

Wasn't our HC a DC at one time?  Remember when A&M kicked our asses in the first half several years ago and BP took the defense away from Willie?  A&M made a dumbass 4th down call, but point is that we otherwise shut them down and won the game.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bphi11ips on April 28, 2017, 06:13:43 pm
Why not?  You can dang sure get your linebackers and safeties to start playing with their eyes rather than their shoelaces. That had nothing to do with scheme. We didn't scheme for wide open lanes up the middle play after play. If you have to wait from September to September to get that fixed you have a bigger problem than scheme.

For some reason Arkansas seems to have figured out how to out Aggie the Aggies. I thought the goal was to out Alabama Alabama.

It is too difficult to change schemes and reads over the course of a single week or even two weeks in the middle of a season. It just isn't advisable. It is more difficult than changing attorneys in the middle of a contract litigation and that isn't even considered to be the best course of action unless they are changing to someone like you. ;)
Go Hogs Go!

DeltaBoy

I refused to revisit those debacles.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

RebelliousHog

Quote from: gchamblee on April 28, 2017, 10:53:26 am
Those are 2 of the best announcers in the sport. The fact that you think they are biased is laughable.

It may be laughable, but when I watched the game they were extolling the virtues of TAMU like they were the Cowboys. Everyone with a lick of sense knew they would fold as the year went on.

The commentators sounded like former Aggies. Sorry you disagree.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci