Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BE SMART PEOPLE!!!

Started by SemperHawg, April 27, 2017, 11:02:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SemperHawg

http://5newsonline.com/2017/04/26/search-in-progress-for-missing-canoer-in-buffalo-river/

I know this is the wrong forum but I figured it deserved to go where the most eyes would see it.  We are getting a lot of rain in short time periods this spring and these rivers get REALLY DANGEROUS REALLY QUICKLY!  Prayers that they find the other missing person, and for their family if they do not. 

rmcchris

just up there last week after the big rains.  Very dangerous.  I'm close to expert level or used to be and I would not get on the river right now.  Only seasoned experienced experts should be on the river at this time. Prayers for all the first responders and the one missing in the river.

ricepig

I remember some fraternity brothers deciding to go down the Mulberry river in the late 70's after a big rain in the spring. Luckily all it cost them was the canoe that wrapped around a tree. They ended up walking to I-40 to catch a ride. I had a fishing trip scheduled for Crooked Creek for next Monday, backing it up a week, now.

rljjr

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on April 27, 2017, 01:36:22 pm
I remember some fraternity brothers deciding to go down the Mulberry river in the late 70's after a big rain in the spring. Luckily all it cost them was the canoe that wrapped around a tree. They ended up walking to I-40 to catch a ride. I had a fishing trip scheduled for Crooked Creek for next Monday, backing it up a week, now.

That sounds eerily familiar.  Spring of my senior year, just a week or so before graduation, about six of us decided to go float the Buffalo on a Saturday -- raging currents be darned.  Toward the end of the day, when all the beer was gone, my buddy and I decided to pick up the pace, speed past the others and moon them as we went by.  All went perfectly until I lost my balance.  Next thing you know we are being carried down the river and, to make matters worse, our swim trunks had gotten swept away when we hit the water.  Yep, we were buck naked in the water.  Long story short, one of the last canoes in our group managed to get over to us and we got some dry clothes out of a garbage bag in that canoe.  It's a funny story to tell now, but looking back it's truly a miracle we didn't drown.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Pigsknuckles

Put in last Friday morning at the Ponca low water bridge in kayaks. River was at 0in airspace on the bridge, and rising, when we put in. They closed the river, as I understand it, shortly after we pushed off. A non-flotation equipped canoe would not have made it. Our 5 boat kayak flotilla of experienced paddlers made the 10.6 mile trip to Kyles in 2 1/2 hrs. Fortunately, no mishaps, or spills. The s-curves at Hemmed In Hollow, and the rapids at Gray Rock were all we could handle. River level when we arrived at Kyles Landing was at near flood on the pole gauge. An hour after we took out, the pole was completely under water. Needless to say, we did not attempt a float on Saturday.The Buffalo has a Jekyl and Hyde personality. Know your skills and equipment before venturing out in high water conditions.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

oldfart

people underestimate the power of rushing water....

PorkSoda

Quote from: oldfart on April 27, 2017, 04:38:18 pm
people underestimate the power of rushing water....
no doubt.  6 inches can move a full sized truck.  back when lived in arkansas, I drove across low water bridges a few times with water running over them, and I had to start on the upstream side of the bridge because by the time I got to the far side I would be on the down stream side of the bridge.  its very sketchy.

also keep in mind that storms and high water usually bring the water moccasins out of hiding.  when I was a kid, I remember my dad swatting them with the paddle to keep them away from the canoe.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: PorkSoda on April 27, 2017, 04:47:16 pm
no doubt.  6 inches can move a full sized truck.  back when lived in arkansas, I drove across low water bridges a few times with water running over them, and I had to start on the upstream side of the bridge because by the time I got to the far side I would be on the down stream side of the bridge.  its very sketchy.

also keep in mind that storms and high water usually bring the water moccasins out of hiding.  when I was a kid, I remember my dad swatting them with the paddle to keep them away from the canoe.

When the water is rushing over the old low water Ponca bridge then it is way to high for only the experienced canoer's and kayaker's.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 27, 2017, 05:24:48 pm
When the water is rushing over the old low water Ponca bridge then it is way to high for only the experienced canoer's and kayaker's.
I'm not experienced at all so I should be ok, yeah?  :P

Danimal

Quote from: ricepig on April 27, 2017, 01:36:22 pm
Love Crooked Creek -- post a report if you go!

SemperHawg

Another 7 inches in the forecast for this weekend. We may get to see some of these rivers at near record high levels by Sunday.

rzrbkman

Its a shame when people try to float when it's too dangerous and when they get into trouble,  emergency personnel have to put their lives on the line to try to save those who made a bad choice.

DOGALUM

A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

DOGALUM

A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

TheRedBoarn

Wear the PFD and in conditions like these, wear a proper helmet.  Know how to self-rescue.  Practice self-rescue.  Dress for water temperature.  Know your limits and live to fight another day if conditions require skills greater than your skill level.  Pretty basic stuff.  I hope the individual is found alive. 

theFlyingHog

I think I'll wear my Mustang to bed tonight. And I'm on the second floor

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

jkstock04

Not smart to get on the rivers right now in my opinion. Crazy & advanced experienced kayakers with helmets on looking for an adrenaline rush maybe but a couple of random people in a canoe? That's not smart. You can get pinned underneath something real easily right now. Or if you get stuck in an eddy right now you will never get out.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

jcbville

I have floated that river many times and I would never touch it this time of year for that reason.

DeltaBoy

Becareful and don't drown!!!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: jcbville on April 28, 2017, 07:32:51 am
I have floated that river many times and I would never touch it this time of year for that reason.

This is the only warm weather time of year that the upper river is normally navigable. The concessionaires depend on this time of year for their livings. They are restricted from putting anyone on the river in flood conditions. They also will not support (such as vehicle portage) individuals with their own boats in those conditions. Still, the floater is responsible for their own safety. They had their own craft, and had camped on the river. They had probably arranged for vehicle portage prior to the weather event. There are few escape options on that section of the Buffalo due to terrain. This was one of those unfortunate "chain of events" situations. The weakest link here was likely a camp site choice that gave them no escape options other than to continue down river. Hoping for the best here, but after this much time am expecting the worst.

Dwight_K_Shrute

My two dogs packed their stuff and said they are waiting for their ride. Hope everyone stays high and dry out there. Some high winds and hail moving through NWA right now
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

twistitup

I had a buddy swat one a couple years back....it wrapped around the paddle and ended up in the boat with him. He freaked out and broke two rods trying to get away from it.

Funny to watch from another boat. I don't swat water snakes w a paddle after seeing that
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

longtimeHogfan

2 1'2" in the gauge in Bella Vista just from last night.  Combined with earlier in the week....over 5" and counting.  100% chances for more today and 90% tonight. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

nchogg

You don't play in flash flooding. I can remember 30 something years ago when I lived in Little Rock how the interstate became a fast moving river. I also remember a 19 year old whom had a 8 month old colt and his barn flooded and this big strong young man was trying to get his colt to high ground but the water was so strong he was wrapped around a tree and holding the lead rope when the current just pulled the lead out of his hand. They never found the colt but he made it to high ground. It broke his heart but no animal is worth the life of a human and I told him he did his best and he could have died and to be thankful. He could replace the colt but not himself and his family would agree. If the water is moving fast don't go through it your vehicle is not invincible. If the water is moving slow it's a different story. I have driven in flash floods a few times and had the pavement collapse under a tire and almost lost my truck. Just saying to everyone to be careful.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: twistitup on April 29, 2017, 06:36:21 am
I had a buddy swat one a couple years back....it wrapped around the paddle and ended up in the boat with him. He freaked out and broke two rods trying to get away from it.

Funny to watch from another boat. I don't swat water snakes w a paddle after seeing that
I splashed water at a cottonmouth with a paddle once to scare it away from the boat and it came straight at me. We hadn't shoved off the bank yet, I don't think my feet touched the ground until I was 20 feet up the bank

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: theFlyingHog on April 29, 2017, 02:54:14 pm
I splashed water at a cottonmouth with a paddle once to scare it away from the boat and it came straight at me. We hadn't shoved off the bank yet, I don't think my feet touched the ground until I was 20 feet up the bank
Last weekend I was on a float. Had seen a couple of snakes crossing the creek at a distance earlier, no problems.
Later I was paddling on the left side of the boat, switched to the right side...and there was 3-foot snake within paddle's reach of my canoe. Caught me off guard. Initial adrenaline rush, of course. A second or two later, I could tell it wasn't a moccasin, so adrenaline went down. The current carried the canoe downstream in another couple of seconds, and the snake continued crossing the creek behind me along his merry way. No harm, no foul.
My instinct was to swat it, but something told me not to worry about it. It worked out ok.
Not sure what I would have done if I had felt it was a moccasin. But probably hitting it would have made it worse.

HognitiveDissonance

Moccasins are very territorial. I'm not sure they want to bite you, but they definitely want to let you know you're in their 'space'.
I remember as a child playing in a fishing boat that was on a channel close to the Ark River. There was no sign of activity, nothing swimming across the water. Suddenly out of nowhere this moccasin reared its head out of the water in front of the boat and flashed its cotton mouth at me. I ran so fast back to the house we were visiting my feet barely touched the ground. I always felt the snake had swam underwater until it got to the boat.

longtimeHogfan

Now 5" in the gauge, so 7" for the week thus far in Bella Vista.
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

PorkSoda

Quote from: twistitup on April 29, 2017, 06:36:21 am

lol, that's crazy.  I prolly would have chucked that paddle across the river if that happened.

I remember when I was like 4 or 5, my dad bumped the branches of a tree overhanging the river and a baby copper head landed right on my moms feet.  my dad had to balance the canoe while walking from the back to the front to get the snake since my mom was paralyzed in fear, all while I was leaning over her shoulder so I could see the snake. 

that's gotta be olympic level balance right there.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Pigsknuckles

Body of missing Buffalo canoeist found about 4 miles downstream from Kyles. That would have put him just short of Erbie. Tragic, but I hope the recovery brings some closure to the family. Small comfort, but I'm sure th poor fellow died doing what he loved. Floated the river the weekend before this accident. Just as easily could have been me. Praying the best for the family.

tophawg19

I always used an aluminum paddle with one side sharpened . That way when you get in these back water sloughs they aren't a problem . Slice them and move on . A 22 derringer with rat shot works too . especially at night with yo-yo's
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

dallashog83

Sad stuff.  I agree stay smart especially when on the water.  In the early 80's I had four fraternity brothers decide to go canoeing in Texas when the water was too high and too fast because they thought it might be fun.  Sadly only 3 came back alive after their boats tipped.  The fourth one was found stuck in the top of a submerged tree after the water went down a couple of feet.