Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I just Ken Hatfield

Started by ocsm158, April 21, 2017, 08:50:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hawg Marshal

Yeah but Ford also got caught cheating, or at least the school did and it was on his watch.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on April 26, 2017, 10:49:07 pm
Yeah but Ford also got caught cheating, or at least the school did and it was on his watch.

I bet 99% of NC winners cheated to some level. The only questions are how much and getting caught or not.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

bphi11ips

Ken Hatfield's teams played fundamentally sound football. Quinn Grovey, Barry Foster and James Rouse were formidable in the option offense.  For many of us who grew up with option football it was fun to watch. 

Today's spread option/zone read is still the most exciting offense for me.  I knew it was here to stay when Pat White and West Virginia scorched Georgia with it in the 2006 Sugar Bowl.  Oregon and Baylor have made a living with it.  College football offense evolves, but today's most dangerous offenses (see Clemson and Louisville) have deep roots in offenses like Hatfield's flexbone.

I was sorry to see Hatfield leave.  Jack Crowe did more damage to Arkansas's brand of fundamentally sound football than anything else that has happened over the last 25 years. It was much like Smiley after Petrino.  Maybe Bielema has us on the right path finally . One can only hope.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Atlhogfan1

I wish Hatfield had stayed too so he would have had to have coached the near complete lack of speed and athleticism he ended up leaving on defense leading to one of our worst defenses in program history (which is saying a lot).  Took almost a decade to catch up from where we were left.  But he gets no responsibility. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

fieldturf

Went to a Razorback Basketball game in 88 or 89 in Barnhill.  Was setting right in front of Coach Hatfield and his wife.  They were excellent seats about 6 or 7 rolls behind the bench.  We were playing Texas in Barnhill and the barn was rocking.  May-Day were freshman and stomped a mudhole in Texas.  It was a very cold winter night and as I got up to leave, (you couldn't hear yourself talk) I felt someone tap on the shoulder and holler don't forget your gloves!  It was coach looking out for me, so we shook hands and I thanked him for being our coach. 

Hated it when he left after the next season......   

grayhawg

I will never forget listening to Bob Cheyne calling the Hatfield 81 yard punt return for a touchdown against Texas during the 64 national championship season. :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: