Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

YouTube changing the college football economy?

Started by ricepig, February 28, 2017, 03:44:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ImHogginIt

I generally call uverse every year or so and threaten to leave so they keep giving me $50 a month off. For three tv boxes and super fast internet we pay about $180 a month. If it was just internet after taxes and fees it would be around  $70. Tack on one of these services or two and to me I really am not saving a whole lot considering I currently have everything uverse offers including all sports channels and all premium movie sources. If I didn't have all the options we currently have the wife and I would probably go out to eat and a movie a few times more a month which would cost me a whole lot more than the paltry savings of cutting the cord

On PS vue I don't see Military History or History channels so big deal breaker there.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: sevenof400 on March 04, 2017, 10:10:44 am
I don't know about those two channels specifically, but many channels are now available via apps that run on the Amazon and / or Roku devices.  If your internet is good, that might be an option worth checking out.

I'm more than happy paying UVERSE for their services. PSVue's top package is $74 a month. High speed internet is around that after fees so I'm not saving much at all really to get what I want currently on my three TV's with UVERSE

LZH

Quote from: ImHogginIt on March 03, 2017, 07:35:22 am
I generally call uverse every year or so and threaten to leave so they keep giving me $50 a month off. For three tv boxes and super fast internet we pay about $180 a month. If it was just internet after taxes and fees it would be around  $70. Tack on one of these services or two and to me I really am not saving a whole lot considering I currently have everything uverse offers including all sports channels and all premium movie sources. If I didn't have all the options we currently have the wife and I would probably go out to eat and a movie a few times more a month which would cost me a whole lot more than the paltry savings of cutting the cord

On PS vue I don't see Military History or History channels so big deal breaker there.

Come Tuesday I'm going to be a FiOS/Roku/SlingTV user...costs half what BrightHouse cable charges for TV/internet.

GolfnHog

I've been a Roku & Sling user since 2015. Each August I add the sports package on the Sling subscription through March then cancel it. Sling is continually adding channels so the variety is constantly changing and the change is always for the good. Absolutely no complaints and the money  I keep each month has been well worth the change.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

HamSammich

I watch about 20 games a week and rewatch about ten of those again. In the offseason I rewatch about 10'games a week.

Very few of these are on networks.

For the NFL o use to be as serious, this last season I watched maybe 10'games total. To me football is a dying beast or at least I don't care or gamble as much at the pro level. College got to be like that a little for me this year .... I didn't watch near as meany

Hawgar The Horrible

There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

micali

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 01, 2017, 10:44:31 am
I'm not sure Cox and AT&T have the bandwidth to support a large percentage of people going to full time video streaming.
We don't have TV only Internet and cox sent us a bill showing our new gig use plan. I don't remember our max gig allotment but we only use around 240 gigs a month. This was new to me.

Thunderhog Jr

:razorback:

I cancelled SlingTv and picked up DirecTv Now. I've not missed any Razorback games, plus I have Kodi and get USTV now Plus for free along with all the movies I care to watch. USTV gives you network programming live, and DirecTv Now has about 90 channels for 35.00.  If you sign up in the first offering you get upgraded package at 35.00 for life........

:razorback:

WPS  <br />Remember the days when we were a national power??  What the Hell happened?

Dwight_K_Shrute

Cut the cord at the first of the year and not missing a beat.

I went with PS Vue because you could watch up to 5 at a time and we have 4 person household.  I think at the time Sling was 3 don't know if that's changed.

Live in NW Bentonville and get about 40 over the air channels as well.  Now some of them are crap but isn't that the same with cable and these are at least free.

Used this Antenna's Direct Antenna and put it in my attic.  You can get it for $80 at Walmart.  I also bought a signal splitter/amplifier at Lowe's.  The amplifier doesn't make the incoming signal any stronger but it boosts it pushing it to all the TVs.  My house was pre-wired for cable with the main box also in the attic.  I just unhooked the cable and then routed the antenna to the splitter and then connected the leads going to the rooms in the house to the splitter.  I'm watching all the TVs in my house off the one antenna in the attic and signal is great.

It's not perfect, DVR on PS VUE is fine for the traditional cable channels but can't DVR over the air unless you buy a DVR, but for the network stuff most is available on demand the next day anyway, so for the $150 per month I'm saving I'll take it. 

One thing I have found is that since I cut the cord I'm actually watching less TV.  I'm not worried about shows I did or did not DVR.  Live is better with more money and less TV.

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: sevenof400 on March 06, 2017, 08:26:40 pm
Dwight,

That's interesting you said you are watching less TV since cutting the cord because that is exactly the same result around our household as well.  I'd hate to think I was watching a lot of bad TV simply because of the money I paid for it but assuming that observation was / is incorrect, are others here finding the same result:

Did cutting the cord result in your watching less TV? 

Same for me as well; less tv watching overall. The only things I watch live anymore is college football and March Madness with Sling. (cancel it during the other months)

For everything else, I either do Hulu or Netflix. Basically the same as a DVR (the shows just appear in my queue) but just much cheaper than paying for cable or satellite.

nchogg

Quote from: VictoryRedChevy on March 01, 2017, 08:19:59 am
I've had Sling and a Chromecast for close to a year and it's good for me. $27 a month and that's with a sports package added at $5.

Because I have Sling I have access to the WatchESPN app and I use it for anything on the ESPN channels.

The ESPN app casts via Chromecast close to flawlessly for me. I think the Sling app itself needs some work when it comes to casting via Chromecast, though. I just watch anything on it on my phone instead of casting.
I only used sling and ESPN Watch during football season and it worked out good since I needed a subscription to watch Arkansas Football. The world has come to cable and satellite and I refuse to pay the high cost for any of them. At one time there was a provider that charged 1 dollar per channel and you decided the channels but money is everything and it only lasted a couple of years. I have a different idea for this year football and it will cost about $10 per month with sec channel. We will see.

cityhog

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on February 28, 2017, 05:29:54 pm
You can also use your PS Vue login to gain access to The Watch ESPN App with
SEC Network + ( regular SEC Network is part of the $34.99 package).  I used it for the Basbeall series this past weekend. 

Highly recommend PS Vue on either PS4 or Roku.

Does PS Vue offer NBA League Pass by chance so you know?

Dwight_K_Shrute

Dwight,

That's interesting you said you are watching less TV since cutting the cord because that is exactly the same result around our household as well.  I'd hate to think I was watching a lot of bad TV simply because of the money I paid for it but assuming that observation was / is incorrect, are others here finding the same result:

Honestly I think it's the DVR situation as much as anything.  I'd DVR a bunch of shows then constantly watch stuff I had DVR'd, compared to the olden days when if you missed something you just missed it.  The DVR was a constant reminder hey you need to watch this, and you need to watch it because it's taking up space on the DVR so you need to watch and then erase.  It's like you are a slave to the DVR.  The PS VUE has a DVR feature and I still use it but it's not taking up any real memory or staring me in the face.

Now if I miss a show I may still find it on demand or I might just say screw it.

You make a valid point about watching due to the financial investment as well.  If I'm paying for it by God I better watch all of it.

Between the money saved and the time spent doing other things I'd say my QofL has gone up due to cutting the cord.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

gchamblee

Dwight,

I didn't watch much television to begin with outside of sports. What I am finding is that when I do watch tv, I'm watching what I want to watch instead of just picking the best from what is available.

hogsanity

if i cut the cord can we watch different programs on different tv's with sling? Can we dvr programs, we do that alot.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HamSammich

March 07, 2017, 08:16:25 pm #65 Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 12:43:28 pm by HamSammich
Quote from: hogsanity on March 07, 2017, 07:46:58 pm
if i cut the cord can we watch different programs on different tv's with sling? Can we dvr programs, we do that alot.

I have 20 TERAs  of hard drive . I record literally almost everything that intrests me. It's out there man. I think that's something like 4000 hours of recordings. It's out there. And cheap. Just research

LZH

Quote from: hogsanity on March 07, 2017, 07:46:58 pm

Not sure about the DVR, but even if you have multiple tv's, you can only watch one show at a time. Got my Roku express yesterday and literally watched the entire "People vs OJ Simpson" well into early this am. Excellent show and I am sure I'm really gonna like SlingTV/Roku. Piss on cable.

hogsanity

Quote from: LZH on March 08, 2017, 06:04:54 am
Not sure about the DVR, but even if you have multiple tv's, you can only watch one show at a time. Got my Roku express yesterday and literally watched the entire "People vs OJ Simpson" well into early this am. Excellent show and I am sure I'm really gonna like SlingTV/Roku. Piss on cable.

so, if I want to watch a game, the wife wants to watch dwts and my kid wants to watch a movie - 2 of us are out of luck as far as the tv sets go? Yea, that ain't gonna work.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

gchamblee

Quote from: hogsanity on March 08, 2017, 08:37:18 am
so, if I want to watch a game, the wife wants to watch dwts and my kid wants to watch a movie - 2 of us are out of luck as far as the tv sets go? Yea, that ain't gonna work.

I am pretty sure that if you place a Roku device on each of your televisions, they can each watch unique programming simultaneously.

LZH

Quote from: gchamblee on March 08, 2017, 09:42:20 am
I am pretty sure that if you place a Roku device on each of your televisions, they can each watch unique programming simultaneously.

Didn't think of that.....I guess you could. I just remember reading online a few days ago that the Roku Express doesn't allow you to watch two different programs at once. If that's the case, I'm gonna go back to WalMart Saturday and get another for the bedroom instead of using this splitter.

gchamblee

Quote from: LZH on March 08, 2017, 09:06:48 pm
Didn't think of that.....I guess you could. I just remember reading online a few days ago that the Roku Express doesn't allow you to watch two different programs at once. If that's the case, I'm gonna go back to WalMart Saturday and get another for the bedroom instead of using this splitter.

Get the box for 79.00. Better cpu and ram which makes for a better streaming experience.

LRHog

Quote from: CrookedSquealliry on February 28, 2017, 04:51:59 pm
This is the way the world is heading, and it's great for consumers.  However, when it comes to watching a game on a 70" 4ktv with a dvr, I find that the better deal. 
I'll use this as leverage when Sunday Ticket rolls around.  Directv will roll over and give it to me free because I'll say I'm leaving you for you tube TV.   Works like a charm.

enjoy your 100-200$ a month bill... meanwhile the rest of us will get 6 months of TV for the price of that one month, oh and it will also be on my 70'' 4k tv. :)

hogsanity

Quote from: LRHog on March 08, 2017, 10:25:26 pm
enjoy your 100-200$ a month bill... meanwhile the rest of us will get 6 months of TV for the price of that one month, oh and it will also be on my 70'' 4k tv. :)

do you also figure in the price of the internet service you have to have to stream the programs, plus the device to get it to the tv ( roku, fire stick, etc ) plus any device you have to have to function like a dvr?

I pay under $200 a month for cable/phone/internet and that includes about 200 channels plus hbo/showtime/ etc. Then again there are 4 of us with varying viewing likes.