Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NFL Combine Thread

Started by bennyl08, February 27, 2017, 12:56:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

oldfart

Quote from: hawgfan4life on March 03, 2017, 03:25:49 pm
I don't know what this person watched when he evaluated Hatcher, but Keon Hatcher blocked his A$$ off when a play was coming into his area.  He is one of the best blocking receivers we have had at AR in years.  I

agree wholeheartedly

Peter Porker

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 03, 2017, 03:33:50 pm
For it to be a deep year at RB, I feel like this is one of the slower years for backs. Only 3 players faster than 4.45.

What were the times for runningbacks last year?
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

bennyl08

I don't know what this person watched when he evaluated Hatcher, but Keon Hatcher blocked his A$$ off when a play was coming into his area.  He is one of the best blocking receivers we have had at AR in years.  I

I agree. I think what the writer was going for was that we don't utilize quick screen passes a lot while many other teams do. Therefore, he wasn't out there on designated blocks as often as many other receivers might be.

However, we actually utilized him as a freaking in-line blocker, taking on DL and LB'ers when he blocked and he did so quite effectively. Further, he was a willing and capable blocker downfield whenever it was beneficial for him to do so.

So, I do have to agree with the writer there that he probably doesn't have as many plays under his belt as a designed blocker as other receivers. However, he has shown to be able to handle much tougher blocking assignments than those given for a quick screen pass and is a great blocker down field as well.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bennyl08

Quote from: Peter Porker on March 03, 2017, 03:48:03 pm
What were the times for runningbacks last year?

Last year was about the same.

2015 had 5 players run sub 4.40 times, and another 3 with 4.45 or less.
2014: 3 total 4.45 or lower, none sub 4.40.
2013: 3 sub 4.45, with 2 sub 4.40
2012: 6 sub 4.40 players, another 5 at 4.45 or less
2011: 9 at 4.45 or less with 4 sub 4.40
2010: 6 sub 4.45 with 4 sub 4.40.

So, in the last 7 years, 3 years have been similar to this year's class. So, it isn't uncommon. However, definitely ranks as a slower year.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

hawgfan4life

Good luck with convincing anyone!  I have posted many times that some of the fans on this site do not understand what speed really is when they start discussing running times.

Boog41

IMHO he was maybe the best blocking wide receiver the UA has ever had.

Peter Porker

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 03, 2017, 04:01:52 pm

So, in the last 7 years, 3 years have been similar to this year's class. So, it isn't uncommon. However, definitely ranks as a slower year.

That all players or runningbacks?

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Peter Porker

southeasthog

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on March 03, 2017, 03:26:56 pm
Interesting lowest grade goes to the HV hero.
If you are talking about Skipper, the reason he was a HV Hero was because of his work ethic, love of team and being one of the best teammates we have seen in a while. Not because he was the greatest but he did the best of what was asked of him. To try to besmirch (Yes. It is a word) him does him a disservice. I will miss him.
Quote from: 1990sHogBallChild on March 04, 2023, 04:08:32 pmWe have peaked... lucked his way to two elite 8s by getting the most favorable draws in tourney history. Beat the most over-rated 1 seed in the history of college basketball in Gonzaga who would be a 6 seed if they played in a real conference. Then Muss's other 5 tourney wins are against an average of a 12 seed. A few dozen coaches could have done that. Two losing records in SEC play is as much as MA had in 8 years.

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: southeasthog on March 03, 2017, 04:16:50 pm
If you are talking about Skipper, the reason he was a HV Hero was because of his work ethic, love of team and being one of the best teammates we have seen in a while. Not because he was the greatest but he did the best of what was asked of him. To try to besmirch (Yes. It is a word) him does him a disservice. I will miss him.

If he was talking about Skipper that's pretty funny. Only 1 starting LT out of 14 in the SEC made the 1st team - Dan Skipper. Is he the best pro prospect in the SEC? No. Not at all. He held his own in the red and white though.

I think he's talking about Brooks Ellis. I'm not sure where the HV hero part is coming from though. I think most reasonable posters, including me, wanted Brooks to do really well but understood his physical limitations. A lot of us kept hoping one of the younger, more athletic LBs would take that spot but Brooks, to his credit, made just enough plays to stay on the field. I'm not mad at him. I wish him well. He had his moments.

This was one of my favorites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9XrSW32ekI

bennyl08

bennyl08

If he was talking about Skipper, then he has reading issues because Baker and Ellis are tied, two tenths of a grade below Skipper.

Ellis has been more of the more singled out and criticized players on hogville, so logic would dictate that he is not a hogville hero. Baker is pretty unanimously liked, so if the poster was able to read correctly and used logic in making his post, then that is t he only possibility by process of elimination, though while well liked, don't think our punter was really given "hero" status on the team.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on March 03, 2017, 05:00:11 pm
The difference is those are laser times. Most times for kids out of high school are handheld or self-reported. There are a few that go to the bigger camps and those numbers are laser/verified, so obviously those are comparable.

Another difference is at regional Nike camps you have volunteers doing the handheld starts, so you may not get an accurate time there either.

Peter Porker

bennyl08

Quote from: Peter Porker on March 03, 2017, 05:13:56 pm
I noticed 2016 wasn't listed.

Yes it was. I bolded it below for you. This year is 2017, thus last year = 2016. Further, note how I say "the last 7 years". 2010-2015 is only 6 years.

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 03, 2017, 04:01:52 pm

bennyl08

Quote from: Peter Porker on March 03, 2017, 05:11:46 pm
Another difference is at regional Nike camps you have volunteers doing the handheld starts, so you may not get an accurate time there either.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2013/7/1/4484646/full-nike-sparq-combine-results-the-opening-2013

Pretty close though.

Dalvin Cook
sparq combine
4.46  4.49 forty
30.9  30.5 vertical
4.18  tbd  shuttle

Let me know if you see other names that have already tested. Several names on that list that are at this combine.

Peter Porker

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 03, 2017, 05:22:22 pm
Yes it was. I bolded it below for you. This year is 2017, thus last year = 2016. Further, note how I say "the last 7 years". 2010-2015 is only 6 years.

I'm sorry. I didn't see it listed.

bennyl08

Jalen Ramsey
4.40 forty
4.06 shuttle
40.7" vert at sparq

4.41 at combine
4.18 shuttle,
41.5" vert

Zeke Elliot
4.42-4.47 (weighed 190 at sparq, 225 at combine)
4.16-N/A shuttle
33.6-32.5 vert (again, 30 pounds heavier)

http://www.espn.com/high-school/football/events/nike-sparq-combines/2012/results/_/sort/40time

bennyl08

Quote from: Peter Porker on March 03, 2017, 05:42:11 pm
I'm sorry. I didn't see it listed.

No worries. Just read a bit more carefully in the future. We see a list and our eyes can easily jump to that without reading what came before. See that in comment sections quite frequently. See something like 10 best players under 25 and somebody will be like, why didn't you include X? Turns out, in the words before the list, they specify that they are using age at the start of the coming season and explicitly mention player X among others that are thus disqualified.

HamSammich

I saw skipper today while I was getting my hair cut. He didn't look bad. He doesn't look that large either. What is his official combine weight? That may hurt him because ive heard he is projected as a NFL guard.

bennyl08

Quote from: HamSammich on March 03, 2017, 06:11:26 pm
I saw skipper today while I was getting my hair cut. He didn't look bad. He doesn't look that large either. What is his official combine weight? That may hurt him because ive heard he is projected as a NFL guard.

I've heard some talk of him at guard, but he's too tall to be a guard. Not because he himself couldn't be a guard, but that it would be harder for the qb if he was a guard.

He will probably put on more weight before the pro day as I'm guessing he wanted to be more agile here. He showed off very loose hips and good bend which is what you need as a tackle. I think with some extra coaching, he'll be just fine as a RT, though definitely isn't a LT in the NFL.

Peter Porker

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 03, 2017, 05:48:50 pm
No worries. Just read a bit more carefully in the future. We see a list and our eyes can easily jump to that without reading what came before. See that in comment sections quite frequently. See something like 10 best players under 25 and somebody will be like, why didn't you include X? Turns out, in the words before the list, they specify that they are using age at the start of the coming season and explicitly mention player X among others that are thus disqualified.

So last year was about the same? Less or more?

Peter Porker

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 03, 2017, 05:33:36 pm
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2013/7/1/4484646/full-nike-sparq-combine-results-the-opening-2013

Pretty close though.

Dalvin Cook
sparq combine
4.46  4.49 forty
30.9  30.5 vertical
4.18  tbd  shuttle

Let me know if you see other names that have already tested. Several names on that list that are at this combine.

Man, the S&C programs aren't helping these kids at all.

bennyl08

Quote from: Peter Porker on March 03, 2017, 07:11:46 pm
So last year was about the same? Less or more?

You realize it would take you <10 seconds to answer that yourself, no?

Quantity wise, there were indeed 3 players, same as this year with times of 4.45 or less. However, I didn't compare what the absolute fastest was or how the average of the 3 this year compares to the average of the three last year. Therefore, I used the word "about" to suggest that it was indeed similar in terms of raw quantities of players below a threshold but to acknowledge that unless they were exactly the same, last year could have been faster or slower than this year via the ways I just listed and I didn't care to do that much work and thus I left it as being about the same. I then switched format to the list because I realized that there is a lot of variability and wanted to get a longer time frame to better know the actual data. So, I switched to list format from the conversational format below, which threw you off, thinking I didn't list 2016 at all.

Now it appears as though you are on some sort of mission to prove some sort of agenda, that what it is, I do not know. 3/7 seasons listed have only 3 players at 4.45 or faster. 4/8 including this season. The others have 8, 11, 6 and 9, so 3 to nearly 4 times as many backs. Thus, it is a slow year when you only have 3, but not uncommon for such a year to occur.

ChicoHog

No kidding.  I was shocked when I read that. 

NotSoFastMyFriend

Speed is the only important thing for a few resident Hogvillians and they always pop up on these threads to sharp shoot everyone in order to reinforce their position as lone authority on the matter. It's so much fun!

Peter Porker

Looks like Keon ran a 4.65.

ricepig

Quote from: Peter Porker on March 04, 2017, 08:52:05 am
Looks like Keon ran a 4.65.

Right where I would have thought he'd be, good job.

Peter Porker

Quote from: ricepig on March 04, 2017, 08:56:07 am

Yep. Never thought of him as a blazer. Lots of good wide outs in the NFL run in that range.

Jackrabbit Hog

I could almost still cover him...
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 04, 2017, 09:04:04 am
I could almost still cover him...

Probably if he was standing behind you.......

upperdeck_hawg

Wow I thought Keon was faster than that. He was supposed to be our fastest starting WR.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

Peter Porker

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on March 04, 2017, 09:39:53 am
Wow I thought Keon was faster than that. He was supposed to be our fastest starting WR.

No worries. We have a bunch of recruits coming in that can all run 4.3s.

hawginbigd1

Actually a tick faster than I thought speed was not why he was so good IMO.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: southeasthog on March 03, 2017, 04:16:50 pm
Nope not Skipper or Baker. However the comments about Skippers negatives are spot on. I am concerned that his height along with his inability to anchor will limit his ability to play in the league.

ricepig

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on March 04, 2017, 09:39:53 am

Morgan ran a 4.74, looks like Keon was.

Peter Porker

ricepig

atekido

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 03, 2017, 03:33:50 pm
For it to be a deep year at RB, I feel like this is one of the slower years for backs. Only 3 players faster than 4.45.

Backs than can take punishment and just be consistent with getting positive yards are way more valuable than  just speed.

atekido

Quote from: Peter Porker on March 04, 2017, 10:07:07 am
No worries. We have a bunch of recruits coming in that can all run 4.3s.

lay off the coolaid!

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Peter Porker on March 04, 2017, 11:32:16 am
4.74 for Drew.

Just out of curiosity, what was Edelman and Amendola's 40s? Not sure how fast these guys ran, but they're quick - which seems to be closer to what Morgan has.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

ricepig

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on March 04, 2017, 12:07:11 pm
Just out of curiosity, what was Edelman and Amendola's 40s? Not sure how fast these guys ran, but they're quick - which seems to be closer to what Morgan has.

Not sure Edelman was at the combine.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=67858&draftyear=2009&genpos=QB

Looks like Amendola ran a 4.7.

https://www.mattrauch.com/2008-nfl-combine-results/

Oklahawg

The WR times seem about right. Neither's top asset was speed (Morgan or Hatcher).

I always thought that both had a nice cut on short routes. Maybe that is what I wanted to see?

Hatcher's blocking is elite level; the eval missed it (and it was pointed out by several on here).
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

jgphillips3

Quote from: ricepig on March 04, 2017, 11:35:26 am
Ross just ran a 4.22

Was there an Einstein Rosen bridge present? Sheesh...

Adam Stokes

Quote from: ricepig on March 04, 2017, 11:35:26 am
Ross just ran a 4.22

Didn't even look like he was putting in a ton of effort either. If you just had me watch the video I would've said 4.5, but dude was cruising.

ricepig

Quote from: Adam Stokes on March 04, 2017, 01:58:08 pm
Didn't even look like he was putting in a ton of effort either. If you just had me watch the video I would've said 4.5, but dude was cruising.

No doubt, you almost thought his coach was timing it in high school.    ;)

bennyl08

Did not a single RB do the 3 cone or shuttle yesterday??? Or did the NFL site just mess up and not post anything?

bennyl08

Keon Hatcher:
4.64 forty. I personally thought he was going to have run about a tenth faster. However, I've repeatedly said that he reminds me a lot of Anquan Boldin as far as what he can do in the NFL, being a stout, and physical receiver more than anything else. Well, Anquan ran a 4.71 forty, so Keon is already significantly faster than that IMO future HoFer.
16 reps on bench @ 225lb. Anything over 10 is pretty good for a WR, over 15 is great, and over 20 is crazy.
vert: N/A, which is a shame.
broad: N/a
3-cone: just like RB, don't see a single WR 3-cone time
shuttle: N/a

Did Hatcher hurt himself in the forty and thus not do anything else? Was he simply advised not to do anything else by his trainer strategically?

bennyl08

Drew Morgan:
4.74 forty, the slowest time there. That is significantly slower than most of his comparisons, i.e. Welker and Edelman. Don't think he's all that similar to Amendola. Danny did run a 4.70 the combine, but he ran a 4.58 at his pro day.
10 reps on bench: That's good.
30" vert: Anything over 40" is great, and under 30" is bad. Being right at 30" I'd say he's fine. Similar to the bench press, that isn't a number that is going to move you up anybody's board, but it isn't going to move you down or cause any concern either.
broad 9'4", the lowest score of any. You really do want to be hitting closer to 10'.
4.12s Shuttle: one of the top performers for this drill though. Accentuating the quickness he has.

bulldog04

Sprinkle ran a 4.63 40 unofficially and 4.69 officially