Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Proud of Gafford!

Started by hogfanny, January 13, 2018, 08:38:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfanny

:)Gafford  play is exciting. Tomahawk finish reminds me of SID. Also stayed out of foul trouble. Bright future as long as he stays. Keep feeding please.

razorpimp

Quote from: hogfanny on January 13, 2018, 08:38:44 pm
:)Gafford  play is exciting. Tomahawk finish reminds me of SID. Also stayed out of foul trouble. Bright future as long as he stays. Keep feeding please.

They should but they don't/won't feed the big man...if Mike was a real coach he would make them or
Sit them

bigred223

Quote from: razorpimp on January 13, 2018, 08:48:06 pm
They should but they don't/won't feed the big man...if Mike was a real coach he would make them or
Sit them

Offense should flow through him

RazorNick

January 13, 2018, 09:02:08 pm #3 Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 09:21:09 pm by RazorNick
We should feed him like we did Corliss, he is a beast and he doesn't play around. He looks to take it to the rim any chance he gets, and is quick to make the decision to do so.

hawgdavis

It has to go through him first he is the real deal. Go through him = win don't well you know the answer. Dude is a beast.

Snout team

If Gafford gets a touch at least 3 out of 4 possessions this is a different team.  Macon and Barford could get out of their slump as well because inside out play leads to open 3s.
The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

TebowHater

The biggest thing Gafford did was not get in foul trouble. He had 0 fouls until 10 minutes left in the game. THAT is the one reason he was able to be so dominant in this game - he was actually playing. Several games he's only played 17-22 minutes because he is in so much foul trouble.

When they went on their second 15-2 run, Gafford wasn't in the game. When he went back in, it stopped.

lynbug

Quote from: TebowHater on January 14, 2018, 08:44:09 am
The biggest thing Gafford did was not get in foul trouble. He had 0 fouls until 10 minutes left in the game. THAT is the one reason he was able to be so dominant in this game - he was actually playing. Several games he's only played 17-22 minutes because he is in so much foul trouble.

When they went on their second 15-2 run, Gafford wasn't in the game. When he went back in, it stopped.
So maybe could we agree that on most possessions Gafford needs to get at least one touch in the paint?  There have been possessions  when our guards kept the ball the whole time...then jacked up a bad shot.  Just saying...give Daniel a chance.

Snout team

Quote from: lynbug on January 14, 2018, 09:05:26 am
So maybe could we agree that on most possessions Gafford needs to get at least one touch in the paint?  There have been possessions  when our guards kept the ball the whole time...then jacked up a bad shot.  Just saying...give Daniel a chance.

Part of the problem is most of the guys on the team have probably never played with a dominant big man who could score.  AAU ball has them all jacking 3's instead of playing in the paint with their back to the basket.
The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

labb

Gafford plays the pick and roll pretty good. That is where he is most comfortable, that and attacking the rim off of back screens. Not so polished on any big man moves in the low block. He is a work in progress and seems to get better every game. My understanding is that he only began to play organized BB when he was in the 8th grade..He is a force.

Cmheinley

Quote from: #hammerdown on January 13, 2018, 10:03:40 pm
If Gafford gets a touch at least 3 out of 4 possessions this is a different team.  Macon and Barford could get out of their slump as well because inside out play leads to open 3s.

Agreed. We didn't properly utilize Gafford for Miss St, Auburn, and LSU. When properly utilized, he transforms a bad shooting night by turning their shots to high  % shots

TebowHater

Quote from: labb on January 14, 2018, 09:24:22 am
Gafford plays the pick and roll pretty good. That is where he is most comfortable, that and attacking the rim off of back screens. Not so polished on any big man moves in the low block. He is a work in progress and seems to get better every game. My understanding is that he only began to play organized BB when he was in the 8th grade..He is a force.

I would actually respectfully disagree with this. The number of times he has had a man on his back and is able to spin and either a.) get a dunk or b.) a good hook shot is quite remarkable. More than I remember BP doing his first year.

Beaverfever

Gafford looks strong in certain situations and he is clearly long and athletic.  It makes me wonder how he can have the ball just taken out of his hands so frequently and how he isn't able to get 10 rebounds a game.  He gets in on almost every jump ball and struggles to close the deal.  He still feels like a project at the SEC level honestly.  At first I thought he was a one or two year guy but I'm starting to think he's a 3-4 year guy.  He needs to become a dominant post player and then start working on his shot.  He's got a lot of potential though. 

VirginiaHog

While I partially agree. He IS a 1 or 2 year at most guy.

Beaverfever

Yeah I have no idea when he'll leave.  I'm speculating more about how long it would take him to be a lottery pick/play immediately in the NBA. 

hogfanny

Quote from: TebowHater on January 14, 2018, 10:09:03 am
I would actually respectfully disagree with this. The number of times he has had a man on his back and is able to spin and either a.) get a dunk or b.) a good hook shot is quite remarkable. More than I remember BP doing his first year.
I think the big man moves you refer to are rare by any big man now days. There used to be a rule called 3 seconds in the lane that is rarely if ever called, and thus the available space for the center to maneuver for a hook or fingerroll is just not there any more.

Hawg414

Quote from: Beaverfever on January 14, 2018, 11:59:21 am
Yeah I have no idea when he'll leave.  I'm speculating more about how long it would take him to be a lottery pick/play immediately in the NBA. 

the game has become so freshman heavy in recent years that it is hard for me to project where anyone stands.  what i do know is gafford is nowhere near where corliss was as a freshman.  or joe johnson.  or thurman.  hell, in his 3rd or 4th game, a freshman thurman put the team on his back and scored 30 in a road win at near-top ranked arizona.  those guys played like seniors from the minute they hit the court.  even alonzo lane was more polished in offensive moves than gafford.

what gafford IS though is more athletic than any big man we've maybe ever had.  he would have been a dream center on any of nolans better teams.  he runs the floor with ease.  shot blocking comes natural to him.  he can dunk from the 3pt line it seems.  and he goes to the rim with authority in a way no one else has. 

what i see from gafford is the god given stuff that cant be taught.  he has it in spades.  what i DONT see from gafford is the polish that CAN be taught.  he oozes potential and could potentially be one of the best players to have ever worn the uniform.  but all this talk about opting for the draft this year.. or even next??  i dunno, i just dont see it.  unless, like they say, the NBA really does draft solely on potential nowadays.  but like i said... gafford is not even the player thurman was as a freshman... and thurman wasnt drafted as a junior.

labb

Gafford is so athletic that he blinds you to his lack of polished skills. That and he being more aggressive than any big we have ever had...Kid is great off of the move. Not so much if you post him up on the low block and try the run ever play through him. He does not yet have the strength or the skill set to do that.

Hayden1865

His post moves are better than i expected them to be in year one. Needs to hit the weight room then he'll be the best big ive seen in my lifetime at Arkansas.
Don't take life too seriously, you'll never make it out alive.

Piglet

When Gafford gets his free throw shot down and a short jumper in offensive arsenal, he will become the leading scorer on the team.  I am totally amazed at his athletic ability.
Treasure your ignorance.  Once it is lost you can never get it back.

Beaverfever

Quote from: Hawg414 on January 14, 2018, 01:20:37 pm
unless, like they say, the NBA really does draft solely on potential nowadays. 
Nowadays they want potential and proven skill.  The NBA has gotten much better. I don't know where they get some of these kids recently.  7 footers who can put on a clinic from outside and get 10-15 rebounds.  Portis has turned into a solid three point shooter and he still is struggling to get 20 minutes a game.  If you had told me he'd turn into a reliable shooter all the way out to NBA 3 pt range I'd have thought he would be an all-star.  If you're not Dwight Howard or deandre Jordan you better be able to shoot. 

PonderinHog

Quote from: Piglet on January 14, 2018, 03:12:48 pm
When Gafford gets his free throw shot down and a short jumper in offensive arsenal, he will become the leading scorer on the team.  I am totally amazed at his athletic ability.
I agree wholeheartedly.

draftkings33

Yall do know we are averaging .88 points per possession on passes to Gafford posting up??  So we are averaging 70 possessions per game so that is 61 points per game, not good.  He is way better on pick and rolls.  I think its killing our offense everyone saying look for Gafford.  This started a few weeks ago right when our offense went south.  Watch the game and you will see guards watching him try to post up, stalling the offense.  Like the fade route in football the post up is one of the least efficient plays in basketball.  For the most part the only time the post up is efficient is when the person posting up is used as a passer.  Now this wouldn't hold true for Shaq, Kareem, etc.. but right now it is holding true for Gafford.  Gafford right now needs to be used as a pick and roll guy, a post up passer unless big time mismatch, and a Dennis Rodman type on the offensive boards. 

SouthTulsaHog

Quote from: draftkings33 on January 16, 2018, 08:54:08 am
Yall do know we are averaging .88 points per possession on passes to Gafford posting up??  So we are averaging 70 possessions per game so that is 61 points per game, not good.  He is way better on pick and rolls.  I think its killing our offense everyone saying look for Gafford.  This started a few weeks ago right when our offense went south.  Watch the game and you will see guards watching him try to post up, stalling the offense.  Like the fade route in football the post up is one of the least efficient plays in basketball.  For the most part the only time the post up is efficient is when the person posting up is used as a passer.  Now this wouldn't hold true for Shaq, Kareem, etc.. but right now it is holding true for Gafford.  Gafford right now needs to be used as a pick and roll guy, a post up passer unless big time mismatch, and a Dennis Rodman type on the offensive boards.

This right here. I agree he needs his touches. But I agree I would like to see more of them coming off a pick n roll and him rolling to the basket. I also would like it when we got the ball in to the post, him kicking it out for open threes. He's a decent passer. But those who think we should post him up on every possession are fooling themselves.

Also, a big reason why is his points per possession stats aren't better are because of his low free throw shooting.

majp51

Quote from: bigred223 on January 13, 2018, 08:56:54 pm
Offense should flow through him

As a Head Coach has CMA ever run an Offense though the low post?

draftkings33

Quote from: majp51 on January 16, 2018, 12:25:32 pm
As a Head Coach has CMA ever run an Offense though the low post?
I would not design/run an offense around one of my least skilled players.....What offenses these days are ran through a low post player?  Not many at all

texas tush hog

Quote from: Piglet on January 14, 2018, 03:12:48 pm

And if he gets them done this year, it's one and done.

majp51

Quote from: draftkings33 on January 16, 2018, 12:26:37 pm
I would not design/run an offense around one of my least skilled players.....What offenses these days are ran through a low post player?  Not many at all

That's fine, but my point is even if Gaffords was vintage Tim Duncan, CMA would not be the type of coach to effectively exploit that. It's not really a knock on CMA, just the fact that people insisting the O being run through Gaffords doesn't understand CMA's philosophy. Mind you as you rightly point out, it would be unlikely that any coach (including whomever the CMA haters pick as an ideal coach) would run an offense through the low post.

draftkings33

Quote from: majp51 on January 16, 2018, 01:12:35 pm
That's fine, but my point is even if Gaffords was vintage Tim Duncan, CMA would not be the type of coach to effectively exploit that. It's not really a knock on CMA, just the fact that people insisting the O being run through Gaffords doesn't understand CMA's philosophy. Mind you as you rightly point out, it would be unlikely that any coach (including whomever the CMA haters pick as an ideal coach) would run an offense through the low post.
True.  And I think that is why our offense has started to struggle some.  Instead of running Anderson's style we are thinking look at the post now before you do anything.  When you have everyone yelling at you to LOOK at the big guy when you have the ball it takes the instinct out of the game.