Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Time to get our swagger back by returning these three things

Started by LawyerHog50, January 12, 2018, 06:03:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

FANONTHEHILL

I've read through this a few times and I've had the benefit of watching several practices from beginning to end.  I'm not sure if Coach Morris will have the same open door policy for parents, but Coach Bielema did.  Plain and simply, practice needs to be more physical.  A 15 minutes period of tackling drills doesn't get it done and you MUST tackle to the ground and do it often.  There is currently no place on the field harder to play than LB or DB.  90% of what most posters on this board consider a great play in their day get you thrown out of a game today.  More open field contact is necessary to train these players how to hit.  Combine not practicing tackling enough with kids coming in from the 7on7 culture where you play touch football and it's no wonder tackling  away from the line of scrimmage is so poor. 

As far as 1s vs 1s, it's easier said than done.  The developmental squad acts as the current week's opponent in practice.  This happens on both sides of the ball.  1s vs 1s works in spring and fall camp, but they have to focus on the current week during the season.  Each side of the ball has to focus on their game plan, not be that week's opponent.  They do go 1vs1 in position drills.  What was called "Hog Drill" was matched 1v1.  I'll never forget seeing Deatrich and Skipper getting into a fight during these drills.  It looked like two trees fighting. A nice healthy fight among brothers is a good thing.  When it was over, it was over, and it was a while before it was over.  It's part of being a team.

Basically, football is not a contact sport, it is a collision sport.  You either hit or get hit.  They need to learn how to hit again and I'm excited to see what happens.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

BirmingHam

RockyMtnHog

Quote from: The NewEra on January 12, 2018, 11:26:23 am
I expect there will be some serious hitting going on in practice this year. 

If this happens there will be some serious fights between players and that is good.  We need a tough bunch instead of a bunch of pansies.  When there is no pain there is no gain.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"